PDA

View Full Version : Knicks front runners for AA , Melo reaches out to LA and Jordan

Stunner
06-29-2015, 03:20 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Yahoo Sources: Knicks emerging as frontrunners for free agent guard Arron Afflalo. http://t.co/9ATNI3H48u

@MySportsLegion: Carmelo Anthony has reportedly already called LaMarcus Aldridge and DeAndre Jordan to try and recruit them to New York. (@Chris_Broussard)

GREATNESS ONE
06-29-2015, 03:23 PM
LA to LA!

KnicksYanks
06-29-2015, 03:24 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Knicks are frontrunners for two free agents -- Greg Monroe and Arron Afflalo, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Those are realistic targets.

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2015, 03:25 PM
I think I rather have Green than Afflalo. Not really interested in LMA, as I don't know how he would fit. If we want Zinger to grow, we need him to average 20-25 minutes a game.

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2015, 03:26 PM
@WojYahooNBA: Knicks are frontrunners for two free agents -- Greg Monroe and Arron Afflalo, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Those are realistic targets.

I would add West to that list.

goingfor28
06-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Good for them

valade16
06-29-2015, 03:31 PM
So the Knicks lineup would be:

Calderon - Afflalo - Melo - West - Monroe

At least those are living breathing NBA quality players but that team still doesn't look that good...

nycericanguy
06-29-2015, 03:33 PM

At least those are living breathing NBA quality players but that team still doesn't look that good...

yea, but young guys like Zinger, Grant, Thannis, Early, Galloway.

Not a bad blend of vet and youth. and max cap space again in 2016.

ewing
06-29-2015, 03:34 PM

I think Grant take over that starting PG spot before long. I'm a big fan

ManRam
06-29-2015, 03:36 PM
So many years of mediocrity await! Joyous!

shep33
06-29-2015, 03:53 PM
I just don't see Jordan or LMA going there.

Afflalo and Monroe sounds legit. Still need a lot of pieces though.

valade16
06-29-2015, 03:54 PM
yea, but young guys like Zinger, Grant, Thannis, Early, Galloway.

Not a bad blend of vet and youth. and max cap space again in 2016.

I don't see how they could have max cap space in 2016 if they manage to sign all of West, Afflalo and Monroe.

LakerShow
06-29-2015, 03:59 PM
LA to LA!

LA to LA!

nycericanguy
06-29-2015, 04:10 PM
I don't see how they could have max cap space in 2016 if they manage to sign all of West, Afflalo and Monroe.

Cap goes up to $90m in 2016, Knicks, if they signed those guys and used all their cap space would have about $67m committed. $23m in cap space, close to $30m if they trade or stretched Calderon next summer. alot of teams will have cap space in 2016 with the cap going up.

valade16
06-29-2015, 04:18 PM
Cap goes up to $90m in 2016, Knicks, if they signed those guys and used all their cap space would have about $67m committed. $23m in cap space, close to $30m if they trade or stretched Calderon next summer. alot of teams will have cap space in 2016 with the cap going up.

That would be a very interesting proposition. I would be intrigued just next season to see what Melo could do with an actual decent supporting cast.

j-bay
06-29-2015, 04:23 PM

I hope you guys aren't talking about KD. Hahaha.... oh Knicks and Lakers fans.....

Kyben36
06-29-2015, 04:25 PM
I would like AA in NY,

AI
06-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I hope you guys aren't talking about KD. Hahaha.... oh Knicks and Lakers fans.....

Besides KD... Conley, Horford and others are FA's next year.

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2015, 04:31 PM
I would like AA in NY,

Why cuz he sucks?

ManningToTyree
06-29-2015, 04:33 PM
I don't want afflalo. Rather go after green or Mathews

GiantsSwaGG
06-29-2015, 04:34 PM
So many years of mediocrity await! Joyous!

This

I'm not a affalo fan

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2015, 04:36 PM
I want Green. If we get AA, it better be for 5-8 and not 12. Still don't want him.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-29-2015, 04:37 PM
So many years of mediocrity await! Joyous!this

nycericanguy
06-29-2015, 04:37 PM

so wait, you state YOUR thoughts and then laugh at Knick and Lakers fan for it?...lol wow... troll much?

Conley & someone like Gallo or Batum would be great options in 2016. I don't think Phil is looking for a superstar team, he wants a TEAM.

DarkKnight
06-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Wonder if **** will go down at 12am

PraiseJesus
06-29-2015, 04:47 PM
haha that team will be in the Eastern finals

IDK why any free agents would go west right now

DarkKnight
06-29-2015, 04:49 PM
haha that team will be in the Eastern finals

IDK why any free agents would go west right now

I know a almost depleted Cavs team took it to the Warriors

DarkKnight
06-29-2015, 04:50 PM
Missing Irving and Love that makes a difference

Munkeysuit
06-29-2015, 05:13 PM
DJ is not going to sign with NY, BUT Afflalo and D West most certainly are.

numba1CHANGsta
06-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Galloway/Calderon
AA
Melo
West/Porz
Monroe

a nice solid playoff team but not a championship contending team

Stunner
06-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Galloway/Calderon
AA
Melo
West/Porz
Monroe

You missing Grant

ManRam
06-29-2015, 07:22 PM
Like, there are people that would bash the Knicks for realizing that they're not ever contending with what they currently have and rather than trading Melo and purging themselves of the bad they'd commend signing these short-term quick-fixes that aren't going to help enough. Signing these guys could just dig them into a deeper hole. They think that's better for a franchise than blowing it up. There are a billion examples of times trying to hold on for far too long and ultimately suffering for years and years after because of it. I fear the Knicks are doing that now.

I don't get it. Why is it bad to recognize that what you have isn't gonna work, that there's no quick fix, and that throwing money at second tier FAs isn't going to do the trick? Why are teams that realize this and blow it up ever criticized. Why are teams that ignore all the signs, try hard, and still suck praised by some?

As a fan of the Knicks I'd be very worried about shortsightedness.

nycericanguy
06-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Like, there are people that would bash the Knicks for realizing that they're not ever contending with what they currently have and rather than trading Melo and purging themselves of the bad they'd commend signing these short-term quick-fixes that aren't going to help enough. Signing these guys could just dig them into a deeper hole. They think that's better for a franchise than blowing it up. There are a billion examples of times trying to hold on for far too long and ultimately suffering for years and years after because of it. I fear the Knicks are doing that now.

I don't get it. Why is it bad to recognize that what you have isn't gonna work, that there's no quick fix, and that throwing money at second tier FAs isn't going to do the trick? Why are teams that realize this and blow it up ever criticized. Why are teams that ignore all the signs, try hard, and still suck praised by some?

what would be the point of tanking without their pick next year?

I think tanking is being taken to extremes now. Like if you're not a top 5 team you should tear it down or something. How many teams have been rebuilding for decades it seems?

I don't see NY trying quick fixes... a quick fix would have been trading their #4 pick this year.

Signing a 24 year old Monroe is not a quick fix either.

Why trade Melo now? Without giving him a chance with an actual roster?

JC
free agent
Melo
West
Monroe/Zinger

that team could win 45-50 games if the chemistry is right, and then have MAX cap room the next summer. If Grant and Zinger develop along with adding another piece in 2016, you could have a championship roster. I dont see the point of trading an all star in his prime unless you are getting one in return. Melo should be an all star caliber player for hte 4 remaining years on his deal.

KnicksorBust
06-29-2015, 07:42 PM

I really don't want that to be our lineup. My preferred realistic lineup is so far from that it is scary.

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2015, 07:50 PM
I really don't want that to be our lineup. My preferred realistic lineup is so far from that it is scary.

What's yours?

xxplayerxx23
06-29-2015, 08:01 PM
We don't have our pick next year

papipapsmanny
06-29-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm not a Knicks fan I like thw Wizards, but I am a Melo fan because he is from MD.

Greg Monroe is a good guy to target.

I think if they can sign Monroe, Thaddeus Young, and a guy like Belinelli as a shooter off the bench they could make some noise

Maybe also Sign Biyombo for some depth and his rebounding/Defense

Calderon/Belinelli/Melo/Young/Monroe is definitely and offensive minded unit.

I would just fill the rest with defensive minded guys, and hope Grant can move Belinelli to the bench

mudvayne387
06-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Grant
Green
Anthony
Monroe
Koufos

That would be my idea lineup for next season.

nycsports2
06-29-2015, 09:02 PM
lol @ people that say "but not a championship contender"... NO **** its the first yr the **** you expect??

anyway, id love to see monroe and afflalo in NYC for the right price. Especially Monroe, Deandre is overpriced and doesn't fit anyway. Lamarcus i just don't see coming to NY.

More-Than-Most
06-29-2015, 09:13 PM
this would be a good signing while monroe would be horrid.

KnicksorBust
06-29-2015, 09:20 PM

What's yours?

No one is going to like mine. :)

Trade Melo for Chandler Parsons + 1st and then sign Danny Green and Omer Asik. I would then keep the extra cap space to carry over into 2016. I would start the following 30-35mpg:

PG - Jerian Grant
SG - Danny Green
SF - Chandler Parsons
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Omer Asik

Young lineup with plenty of defense and shooting. My kind of team. Let the young guys develop and plenty of space for more FAs in 2016. No reason to overpay for guys like Afflalo and Monroe who won't make us contenders.

IBleedPurple
06-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Orlando aside, AA is usually underrated. He is exactly what a team like NYK needs. One of my favorite players. Effort is never an issue, very good defense, good outside shooting, and a great role player. Not sure about DJ though. If I were PJ, I'd tank one more year and then go nuts.

papipapsmanny
06-29-2015, 09:42 PM

Trade Melo for Chandler Parsons + 1st and then sign Danny Green and Omer Asik. I would then keep the extra cap space to carry over into 2016. I would start the following 30-35mpg:

PG - Jerian Grant
SG - Danny Green
SF - Chandler Parsons
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Omer Asik

Young lineup with plenty of defense and shooting. My kind of team. Let the young guys develop and plenty of space for more FAs in 2016. No reason to overpay for guys like Afflalo and Monroe who won't make us contenders.

Parson's and Green as your scorers is not going to do well. You shut down the peremiter and the Knicks will be scoring in the 80s

People **** on Melo but he is a top 5 player in the league

I like the Asik Signings.

Perhaps skip out on Monroe and go after Asik, Thad Young, and Danny Green. Perhaps you get that without giving out a max deal.

Calderon/Green/Melo/Young/Asik is a balanced lineup.

Grant/The Euro on the bench... but you need a lot more on the bench for the team to win a good amount of games

FYL_McVeezy
06-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Galloway/Calderon
AA
Melo
West/Porz
Monroe

I think Jerian Grant will end up earning major minutes at PG....

I like that outcome for this offseason...playoff team in the east, not a contender...

but maybe with budding young talent on the bench and a max cap slot if we can dump Calderon's contract next offseason we could try luring a final piece in 2016....

FYL_McVeezy
06-29-2015, 09:47 PM
what would be the point of tanking without their pick next year?

I think tanking is being taken to extremes now. Like if you're not a top 5 team you should tear it down or something. How many teams have been rebuilding for decades it seems?

I don't see NY trying quick fixes... a quick fix would have been trading their #4 pick this year.

Signing a 24 year old Monroe is not a quick fix either.

Why trade Melo now? Without giving him a chance with an actual roster?

JC
free agent
Melo
West
Monroe/Zinger

that team could win 45-50 games if the chemistry is right, and then have MAX cap room the next summer. If Grant and Zinger develop along with adding another piece in 2016, you could have a championship roster. I dont see the point of trading an all star in his prime unless you are getting one in return. Melo should be an all star caliber player for hte 4 remaining years on his deal.

This idiotic "Trade Melo" debate is gonna go down for the next 4 years...might as well get used to it....

FYL_McVeezy
06-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Orlando aside, AA is usually underrated. He is exactly what a team like NYK needs. One of my favorite players. Effort is never an issue, very good defense, good outside shooting, and a great role player. Not sure about DJ though. If I were PJ, I'd tank one more year and then go nuts.

Don't own our pick next year cause of this bastard Grunwald :facepalm:

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-29-2015, 10:19 PM
Phil gets a lot of flack but that Grant for Hardaway Jr was a good trade in my opinion. Hardaway Jr sucks something awful to me

NYSpirit1
06-29-2015, 10:29 PM

How is signing Greg Monroe a short term fix? He's pining for a breakout season, just came off 16 and 10 and would more than likely post 18-20 and 10-11 in NY to make the All-Star team. Him and the triangle are a match made in heaven. And he's 24 years old. So please, explain to me how signing him, on a talent and fit level, is much worse than signing a Gasol or Aldridge.

I wouldn't consider adding a young Monroe the the #4 and #19 picks in the draft for a great future foundation (digging them in a deeper hole).

The East sucks balls. It really does. And a Grant/Afflalo/Melo/West/Monroe lineup with Porzingis, Galloway and a guy like Belinelli off the bench is easy a top four lineup in that horrendous conference.

DarkKnight
06-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Phil gets a lot of flack but that Grant for Hardaway Jr was a good trade in my opinion. Hardaway Jr sucks something awful to me

Agreed , living off daddy's name because he sucked

FYL_McVeezy
06-29-2015, 10:54 PM

+1

For someone who really didn't like the Zinger pick at first, this move made me come around because I wanted a guard bad! But Grant + Zinger > Mudiay so I think Phil had a good draft for that reason. Just to get 2 lottery/mid 1st talents for THJR alone deserves a pat on the back imo...Hardaway JR stinks...trust me!

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2015, 11:09 PM

We don't have our pick next year. We traded it for Bargs. :laugh2:

BallIsAll
06-29-2015, 11:10 PM
That would be a very interesting proposition. I would be intrigued just next season to see what Melo could do with an actual decent supporting cast.

He'd ball hog and everyone would ask for a trade. He'd also score 25 and give up 35 then hope his teammates pick up his slack.

5ass
06-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Forget Monroe. Sign DJ and afflalo, and trade a future 1st+a couple of 2nd round prospects for Lawson.

Lawson
Galloway
Afflalo
Melo
DJ

IBleedPurple
06-30-2015, 05:36 AM
We don't have our pick next year. We traded it for Bargs. :laugh2:Damn

Wade n Fade
06-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Knicks are about to overpay free agents big time.

D-Leethal
06-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Knicks are about to overpay free agents big time.

And after 1 season they will all be underpaid when the cap shoots up. Everyone is getting overpaid this offseason because they will all be decent contracts that following year.

D-Leethal
06-30-2015, 07:59 AM
You guys are about to have 40M tied up with Bosh and Dragic, don't tell us about overpaying.

ManningToTyree
06-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Knicks are about to overpay free agents big time. lol look who is talking

DarkKnight
06-30-2015, 09:06 AM
You guys are about to have 40M tied up with Bosh and Dragic, don't tell us about overpaying.

Anything the Knicks do is put under a microscope

Stunner
06-30-2015, 12:19 PM
@theScore: Report: David West 'is not coming to the Knicks.' Instead, he intends to chase a title. http://t.co/jYAWvKvYfc http://t.co/hwsK8g8Sbc

Kyben36
06-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Why cuz he sucks?

He is a defensive Wing and shooter who can play well beside melo, unfortunatly, if its not a top 5 player in the nba, he sucks. He is a good overall player who could thrive there.

Kyben36
06-30-2015, 12:38 PM
wrong thread.

KnicksorBust
06-30-2015, 12:44 PM
@theScore: Report: David West 'is not coming to the Knicks.' Instead, he intends to chase a title. http://t.co/jYAWvKvYfc http://t.co/hwsK8g8Sbc

Thats a relief. Did not want to waste cap on him.

KnicksorBust
06-30-2015, 12:47 PM

PG - Jerian Grant
SG - Danny Green
SF - Chandler Parsons
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C - Omer Asik

Parson's and Green as your scorers is not going to do well. You shut down the peremiter and the Knicks will be scoring in the 80s

People **** on Melo but he is a top 5 player in the league

I like the Asik Signings.

Perhaps skip out on Monroe and go after Asik, Thad Young, and Danny Green. Perhaps you get that without giving out a max deal.

Calderon/Green/Melo/Young/Asik is a balanced lineup.

Grant/The Euro on the bench... but you need a lot more on the bench for the team to win a good amount of games

I agree but in my situation I am throwing Porzingis to the wolves. I want him to sink or swim. I want him in Year 1 to be a teens scorer. I also think very highly of Parson's offensive game. Plus defensively I think the Knicks would go from one of the worst defensive teams in the league to potentially top 10. That is my #1 concern with Monroe-Melo lineup. How are we protecting the rim?

mudvayne387
06-30-2015, 01:33 PM

Amen to that. I'd rather see the Knicks use that money on Koufos or Lopez + Danny Green + Bench Help. Let Porzingis take his lumps starting at the 4.

Grant
Green
Anthony
Porzingis
Lopez

Green at 12 million
Lopez at 8 million

Leaves 7 million to fill in the roster with. Belineli/ Dudley/Vet Mins ...

GiantsSwaGG
06-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Amen to that. I'd rather see the Knicks use that money on Koufos or Lopez.

This would love Lopez or Koufas

NYKnickFanatic
06-30-2015, 01:40 PM

Noooooo!!!

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-30-2015, 01:47 PM

That is a pretty porous defensive team.

xxplayerxx23
06-30-2015, 02:49 PM
aA was so bad you forget how good he was in Orlando lol

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-30-2015, 03:50 PM
I think I rather have Green than Afflalo. Not really interested in LMA, as I don't know how he would fit. If we want Zinger to grow, we need him to average 20-25 minutes a game.

I exited about the AAA pick up. He plays hard on both ends. He played some of his best basketball in Denver with Melo. When Melo would get doubled in the paint and kick it out to AAA and hit open and contested shots.

KnicksorBust
06-30-2015, 04:47 PM

Amen to that. I'd rather see the Knicks use that money on Koufos or Lopez + Danny Green + Bench Help. Let Porzingis take his lumps starting at the 4.

Grant
Green
Anthony
Porzingis
Lopez

Green at 12 million
Lopez at 8 million

Leaves 7 million to fill in the roster with. Belineli/ Dudley/Vet Mins ...

I like Asik but Lopez worked nicely with Aldridge so he would probably fit well with Porzingis.

ewing
06-30-2015, 07:08 PM
I like Asik but Lopez worked nicely with Aldridge so he would probably fit well with Porzingis.

I want no part of Asik. I dont think you can run him big time mins with Melo. He is a total liability on O and Melo is going to be a ball stopper. I think if you are going to play half through a scorer like Melo you cant have a guy that cant catch, shoot, or pass. I've actually always been a fan. He is elite on the boards and protecting the rim- i don't think he is our guy. i guess the counter is look at tyson with Melo but Tyson was a screen roll threat and a lot better finisher.

Wade n Fade
06-30-2015, 07:12 PM

Yeah, don't want to hurt Amare or Jordan's feelings. Plus, being a Knicks fan is enough penance as it is.

ewing
06-30-2015, 07:44 PM
I exited about the AAA pick up. He plays hard on both ends. He played some of his best basketball in Denver with Melo. When Melo would get doubled in the paint and kick it out to AAA and hit open and contested shots.

I would rather have green but i have always been a fan. I just feel like maybe injuries or age has already gotten to him a little.

blahblahyoutoo
06-30-2015, 08:47 PM
You missing Grant

You missing verb.

mrblisterdundee
06-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Why would Aldridge want to join that tire fire?
I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: No team will ever win a championship with Carmelo Anthony as their best player, just like no team coached by Mike D'Antoni will ever win a championship.

Beltrans Mole
06-30-2015, 10:34 PM
I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: No team will ever win a championship with Carmelo Anthony as their best player, just like no team coached by Mike D'Antoni will ever win a championship.

They'll win before the Blazers lol

xxplayerxx23
06-30-2015, 10:39 PM
E

Wouldnt LMA be the best player in your eyes? Fire tire yeah sure. But at least we will have some players on the roster unlike the Blazers this year coming up

DarkKnight
06-30-2015, 10:42 PM
They'll win before the Blazers lol

I was thinking the same thing