PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't LA consider Cleveland?

Bron > Kobe
06-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Just curious. I haven't seen any rumblings or rumors concerning LaMarcus considering Cleveland. Honestly with his age, with Cleveland maybe losing love, and the east being down, it seems like it would be a perfect fit for them and the best chance to win a ring on my opinion.

Clint Olbrock
06-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Just curious. I haven't seen any rumblings or rumors concerning LaMarcus considering Cleveland. Honestly with his age, with Cleveland maybe losing love, and the east being down, it seems like it would be a perfect fit for them and the best chance to win a ring on my opinion.

Because we have zero cap space lol unless he wants to play for our $3.4 million MLE which he doesn't.

J_M_B
06-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Only way he gets there is through a S&T

Bron > Kobe
06-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Someone school me please. If love doesn't re-sign, what happens to that money?

xxplayerxx23
06-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Tristan Thompson Iman shumpert Delly lol

J_M_B
06-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Still not a lot of wiggle room .. I believe they'll have to let TT walk if they want to be a player in free agency.

IndyRealist
06-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Being over the cap means just because $20M drops off your payroll doesn't mean you have $20M to spend. First you have the salary cap. If you are above the cap you cannot sign more salary unless you have that player has Bird rights (like Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson) or you have an exception (mid-level, traded player, etc). If you are below the cap, you can sign people up to the cap, which means that by having a $20M player drop off your salary you might only get $10M to spend.

Secondly, every free agent has a cap hold which is charged to your payroll, until that player actually signs a contract or you renounce your rights to them. That way you can't just have everyone be a free agent at the same time, sign a bunch of players to max deals, then resign your own players after you exceed the cap. If you renounce your rights to a player, then he is treated like he is a free agent from another team, and you can only sign them up to the cap.

justinnum1
06-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Because it's cleveland, and that city is cursed and won't be winning anything anytime soon. Did i mention it was cleveland?

Vee-Rex
06-29-2015, 01:09 PM

What money? There's no money there.

Because the Cavs have Love's bird rights, they can extend him (albeit with a luxury tax penalty that goes straight to Dan Gilbert's pockets) even though they don't have the money there.

So it's more like having 0 money and and a credit line with which you can extend your players. If Love walks, we're at 0 money and don't have a credit line to sign new-coming free agents because we don't own their bird rights.

Hawkeye15
06-29-2015, 01:11 PM
the only way they could get him is a Love SnT. They have no money. That is why.

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2015, 01:11 PM
He doesn't want to be Chris Bosh.

NYKnickFanatic
06-29-2015, 01:12 PM
the only way they could get him is a Love SnT. They have no money. That is why.

Possible, if Love wants to go back home.

Bron > Kobe
06-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks for that guys. I was a little confused. Wow, if love leaves that means Cleveland really screwed themselves by trading Wiggins

Clint Olbrock
06-29-2015, 01:13 PM

IndyRealist explained it pretty well but I'll add to it.

Cavs salary situation breaks out like this:

Ky($15.8 mm guaranteed), Andy($9.6 mm guaranteed), Moz($4.9 mm guaranteed), Joe($845 k guaranteed) and Haywood($10.5 mm non-guaranteed).

Love($18.8 mm cap hold), TT($11.9 mm cap hold), JR($8.9 mm cap hold), Shump($6.5 mm cap hold), Delly($1.1 mm cap hold), Perk($947 k cap hold) and Jones($947 k cap hold)

Miller($2.8 mm player option)

This is my estimated cap hold[there isn't an actual one out yet] for LeBron($21.6 mm cap hold)

With the projected cap for next season at $67.1 million, we're at roughly $115 million currently(it's actually more when you add in every penny of every deal)... We have no chance to get under the cap for a max player unless we renounce the rights to everyone minus LeBron then trade everyone but Kyrie, Harris and Mozgov.

Vee-Rex
06-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks for that guys. I was a little confused. Wow, if love leaves that means Cleveland really screwed themselves by trading Wiggins

Yup.

PSD will troll, but they're the same lames last year that were screaming that Cavs fans were stupid for not wanting to trade Wiggins for Love.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-29-2015, 01:16 PM

Cavs will most likely have LeBron back on new max. Irving is on a max. Can go over the cap with full bird rights to bring Love and TT back. Or has to be sign and trade.

Hawkeye15
06-29-2015, 01:17 PM

dude, PSD will shut down if Love leaves.

ManRam
06-29-2015, 01:42 PM

They can re-sign Love regardless of their cap space because they have his Bird Rights. In the simplest of terms, all that means is that he played for them last year (and hasn't been waived for 3 years) so they can re-sign him even if they're over the cap. Since they obviously don't have LMA's Bird Rights, they couldn't sign him unless they had the amount of cap space needed. It's just a way to allow teams to keep their own players.

While LeBron and a bunch of others are technically FAs right now, they still have a cap hold until they're situations are resolved. So, the Cavs aren't really operating this summer without LeBron counting against them until he signs. The Cavs don't really have more cap space now than they did before LeBron opted out merely because LeBron opted out. He's still counting against their payroll right now, even as a FA. I don't quite get how they derive the value of his cap hold, but I'm sure it's very similar to what he opted out of.

So while Love, LeBron, TT, etc. are FAs, the Cavs are still prevented from really signing anyone unless they use their exceptions.

If Love doesn't re-sign, his cap hold goes away, but the Cavs still don't have even close to the money to sign a max player in Free Agency.

THis was the article I read that really set the importance of all this stuff into my head a few years ago. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/how-the-lakers-salary-cap-reality-makes-the-lebron-carmelo-summer-of-2014-a-pipe-dream/

EDIT: I had this typed up ~1 hr ago but got distracted at work. I see people have helped out too. Sorry for any redundancies.

beasted86
06-29-2015, 01:43 PM

If Cleveland receives a player in a sign and trade they are hard capped at $85M.

beasted86
06-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Because it's cleveland, and that city is cursed and won't be winning anything anytime soon. Did i mention it was cleveland?

This also.

Bron > Kobe
06-29-2015, 01:44 PM
They can re-sign Love regardless of their cap space because they have his Bird Rights. In the simplest of terms, all that means is that he played for them last year (and hasn't been waived for 3 years) so they can re-sign him even if they're over the cap. Since they obviously don't have LMA's Bird Rights, they couldn't sign him unless they had the amount of cap space needed. It's just a way to allow teams to keep their own players.

While LeBron and a bunch of others are technically FAs right now, they still have a cap hold until they're situations are resolved. So, the Cavs aren't really operating this summer without LeBron counting against them until he signs. The Cavs don't really have more cap space now than they did before LeBron opted out merely because LeBron opted out. He's still counting against their payroll right now, even as a FA. I don't quite get how they derive the value of his cap hold, but I'm sure it's very similar to what he opted out of.

So while Love, LeBron, TT, etc. are FAs, the Cavs are still prevented from really signing anyone unless they use their exceptions.

If Love doesn't re-sign, his cap hold goes away, but the Cavs still don't have even close to the money to sign a max player in Free Agency.

THis was the article I read that really set the importance of all this stuff into my head a few years ago. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/how-the-lakers-salary-cap-reality-makes-the-lebron-carmelo-summer-of-2014-a-pipe-dream/

EDIT: I had this typed up ~1 hr ago but got distracted at work. I see people have helped out too. Sorry for any redundancies.
Don't worry about man, I appreciate the help. I didn't do any research on the situation at all I'll admit.

ManRam
06-29-2015, 01:49 PM

Do you really think players believe in curses?

justinnum1
06-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Do you really think players believe in curses?

A couple of players mentioned a curse by lil b during this past playoffs, does that count?

nyknicks1969
06-29-2015, 02:19 PM
And just when I thought the Heatles Fan Boys went into hiding ... all pooped out same time.

ManRam
06-29-2015, 02:25 PM
A couple of players mentioned a curse by lil b during this past playoffs, does that count?

Only if they weren't doing it in jest. Which I'd imagine they were...

Muttman73
06-29-2015, 02:32 PM
Because not everybody wants to belong to the circus the surrounds LBJ wherever he goes.

Federal Reserve
06-29-2015, 02:33 PM
The only thing Aldridge can do well is shoot. He's a one-dimensional player. Smart teams don't give max contracts to such players.

kingkenny01
06-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Because love is resigning

Clint Olbrock
06-29-2015, 02:50 PM
And just when I thought the Heatles Fan Boys went into hiding ... all pooped out same time.

They'll all be singing a different tune when Wade leaves this summer, I can't wait!

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-29-2015, 03:07 PM

Why would La want to play with someone who is known for sucking away all the stats for himself and leaving the scraps for everyone else?
He'll be the scapegoat as well when the cavs lose in the playoffs.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-29-2015, 03:09 PM

:laugh2: I thought this guy died

hugepatsfan
06-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Yup.

PSD will troll, but they're the same lames last year that were screaming that Cavs fans were stupid for not wanting to trade Wiggins for Love.

I don't think people thought it was "stupid" to not trade Wiggins. Some may have disagreed, but it was a reasonable stance. What people thought was stupid was the idea that you guys could land Love w/out including Wiggins. A lot of Cavs fans had that delusional thought.

justinnum1
06-29-2015, 05:07 PM

U mad?

justinnum1
06-29-2015, 05:07 PM
:laugh2: I thought this guy died

***** please.

Munkeysuit
06-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Cleveland can acquire him via sign and trade...I often wondered why there were no reports about him and Cleveland having interest...it almost makes you think that everyone on the inside knows he's going to end up in San Antonio to become the next Tim Duncan (or try to)

sixer04fan
06-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Love is a better fit anyways. He's a better rebounder and can stretch the floor better with LeBron. Let's not forget how good Cleveland was once they got rolling with the big three all on the same page.

If hypothetically they could swap Love with Aldridge, LA would just be the next guy up to be awkwardly forced into a 3rd fiddle role and playing below his full capabilities. He'd get **** just like Love did this year