PDA

View Full Version : 76ers ordered to pay Pels 3 million for not disclosing Holiday’s injuries

JeffG20
06-27-2015, 11:25 PM
The 76ers were ordered to pay the New Orleans Pelicans $3 million by the NBA last season for not fully disclosing Jrue Holiday's injury history before he was traded two years ago, according to two sources.

The Sixers traded Holiday, an all-star point guard, to the Pelicans on the night of the 2013 NBA draft for the rights to Nerlens Noel, the sixth overall pick that year.

The sources said Holiday played with stress fractures in his lower right leg during his final season with the Sixers. However, the sources said, those injures weren't fully disclosed to the Pelicans.

Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie declined to comment, but a Sixers team source disputed the allegation.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/76ers_ordered_to_pay_Pelicans_3_million_for_not_di sclosing_Holidays_injuries.html#mhyWwiPaFW1e7ZOd.9 9

JeffG20
06-27-2015, 11:30 PM
Does this happen alot? I dont feel like ive seen this happen at all. Seems like you'd run a huge risk of being blackballed by other teams never wanting to do business with you.

ManRam
06-27-2015, 11:30 PM
What word are we going to slap "gate" onto here?

JeffG20
06-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Not sure, nothing rolls off the tongue.

GiantsSwaGG
06-27-2015, 11:33 PM

Holiday Gate?

JeffG20
06-27-2015, 11:36 PM
Holiday Gate?

:cheers:

flea
06-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Footgate.

As a Pels fan this is pretty lame, but who knows if it would change anything. Holiday is a really talented guy, capable of being a top 5-7 PG, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and be consistent. Not sure he ever will. Before last season I would have been happy with Gordon being the odd man out of the guard rotation - now I sort of hope we can somehow get away from Holiday. He's easily the most talented of our 3 guards but we don't need talent - we need minutes. Tyreke and Gordon can provide that, at least for now.

ManRam
06-27-2015, 11:38 PM
This is the important stuff we need to figure out before we actually discuss the actual ****ery of this.

I'd be pretty not-happy if I were a Pellies fan right now. Not only did they get fleeced but they didn't even get all the info they deserved...info that could have actually saved themselves.

Who's to say if it actually would have made a difference...but it's shady nonetheless.

JeffG20
06-27-2015, 11:38 PM
I want to be furious about this but given our history i feel like there was a certain level of incompetence on our part

JeffG20
06-27-2015, 11:39 PM
This is the important stuff we need to figure out before we actually discuss the actual ****ery of this.

I'd be pretty not-happy if I were a Pellies fan right now. Not only did they get fleeced but they didn't even get all the info they deserved...info that could have actually saved themselves.

Who's to say if it actually would have made a difference...but it's shady nonetheless.

I'm going to be honest and say it probably wouldn't have. We dont make good decisions

flea
06-27-2015, 11:42 PM

It is bad, and in the real world the best a crook like Hinkie could hope for having to give up all the assets he gained (and he'd usually be looking damages on top of that). NBA is not the real world though so this is a slap on the wrist. But like Jeff said, I'm not convinced NO's front office wouldn't have done it even if they knew. Depending on what the information of course.

Never had respect for Morey or Hinkie and this doesn't change anything in the least.

ManRam
06-27-2015, 11:43 PM
They're alleging the Lakers did the same thing re: Bynum.

5ass
06-27-2015, 11:43 PM
I want to be furious about this but given our history i feel like there was a certain level of incompetence on our part

Exactly. Isn't it the Pelicans responsibility to make sure the guy is healthy?

According to the other two sources, the Sixers are now trying to receive a payment from the Los Angeles Lakers for allegedly misinforming them about Andrew Bynum. Bynum came to the Sixers from Los Angeles in a four-team deal in August 2012. But the 7-foot center never played for the team due to chronically injured knees.

"They are saying the Lakers didn't disclose all of the information about Bynum's knees," one of the sources said. "They think they should be able to get some type of monetary resolution."
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/76ers_ordered_to_pay_Pelicans_3_million_for_not_di sclosing_Holidays_injuries.html#qEgpmVVRoetIIVWr.9 9

Lmao

Stunner
06-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Philly trying to pay NO with the lakers money [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

5ass
Next thing you know Lakers gonna do the same to the magic for the Howard trade. Lol.

JeffG20

Everyone and their mother knew about Bynum lol

JeffG20
06-27-2015, 11:46 PM

I kind of respect it in a weird way lol

MonroeFAN
06-27-2015, 11:54 PM
Hinkie-gate

kubernetes
06-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Next thing you know Lakers gonna do the same to the magic for the Howard trade. Lol.

"The Magic failed to disclose that Howard has no backbone or heart."

More-Than-Most
06-28-2015, 12:31 AM
pretty classless move

More-Than-Most
06-28-2015, 12:46 AM

they probably did. This probably happens more than people think... not in a way you would think but more like rewording of things ya know.

Lakers + Giants
06-28-2015, 01:23 AM
Bynum hurt himself bowling in philly. Stop it.

yasharel
06-28-2015, 01:46 AM
Pelicans dont do there due diligence in checking a players injury info and then get mad later? There just salty the pick ended up noel who is showing to be great and they know they should have kept the pick/noel.

JeffG20
06-28-2015, 01:54 AM
Pelicans dont do there due diligence in checking a players injury info and then get mad later? There just salty the pick ended up noel who is showing to be great and they know they should have kept the pick/noel.

To be fair, Stress fractures are tricky and are hard to detect unless you are looking for it. I'm not sure what an NBA physical entails but its not something thats easily noticeable.

He supposedly had it his last year in philly and they did nothing about it. Yea the Pelicans are incompetent to some degree but this is just a terrible way to conduct business.

He's had the same injury that kept him out pretty much his whole time in NO. The first year they probably chaulked it up as bad luck. But this thing aint getting better

Munkeysuit
06-28-2015, 02:32 AM
I honestly think this happens more than we think it does in professional sports.

Munkeysuit
06-28-2015, 02:35 AM
Sam Hinkie's legacy with the Sixers will go down in history with him being nicknamed "The Tanker"

SMH!
06-28-2015, 04:02 AM
Bynum hurt himself bowling in philly. Stop it.

He didnt play before that or after that, played a game or two for pacers then that was it for him.

Kyben36
06-28-2015, 04:20 AM
I feel like if there was a problem, he would not have passed his medial exam for the pelicans, if they didnt catch it, it wasnt a problem. i didnt know you had to disclose an injury, who is to say Holiday didnt want to play on it. ??? what do i know though.

ewing
06-28-2015, 07:06 AM
That Hinkie is a genius

BullsFan_1
06-28-2015, 07:23 AM

#Liegate

mike_noodles
06-28-2015, 07:40 AM
I'd rather see them get penalized with something more tangible like first round picks. Gotta send a stronger message.

Toronto Homer
06-28-2015, 07:48 AM

Holi-Gate?
I think this sort of thing happens a lot in lower level trades. Just not with this high of stakes very often. When trading for such high impact parts, teams really should throw in the "pass a physical" provision. You have to make sure you are not getting damaged goods when giving up so much in return.

2-ONE-5
06-28-2015, 09:54 AM

this nis my thinking, did the Pels not give their own physical to him?

lakerfan85
06-28-2015, 09:55 AM
The whole world knew Bynum had glass knees.. Come on now..

goingfor28
06-28-2015, 10:30 AM
How much blame falls on Pels docs for passing Jrue on his physical?

KnicksorBust
06-28-2015, 12:08 PM
How much blame falls on Pels docs for passing Jrue on his physical?

Agreed. Hinkie with another smart move. Dump an injured player at his all-time high value.

JasonJohnHorn
06-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Perhaps they should have forfeited a pick instead.

Cal827
06-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Yeah, they should at least lose a draft pick for this (even if it's a second rounder). Its a general rule for teams to disclose everything before trades.

Although, I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened in a trade.

JasonJohnHorn
06-28-2015, 01:00 PM
EDIT: Double post

JasonJohnHorn
06-28-2015, 01:09 PM
I'd rather see them get penalized with something more tangible like first round picks. Gotta send a stronger message.

+1

Especially for an organization whose front office has clearly been intentionally putting out $#!te teams to get high picks.

I feel bad for them to a degree as they got a bum deal on Bynum, but at the same time, everybody and their dog knew about Bynum's knee problems. And then they get stuck with back-to-back first round picks who miss their entire rookie season? Maybe that is part of the reason the league wasn't so hard on them. Not that one has anything to do with the other.

Bruno
06-28-2015, 06:15 PM

many teams in the NBA are competitive because of Laker money, why would this be any different? The Lakers paid $49M into the league purse last season for revenue sharing. most teams reached into that pot.

but seriously, Bynums injury problems were already so well documented. Phili is being pathetic here.

TheIlladelph16
06-28-2015, 07:07 PM
The Sixers are denying this from what I can tell, and there doesn't seem to be legitimate source reporting. I only saw it hoopsrumors which isn't a legit source.

JeffG20
06-28-2015, 07:23 PM
The Sixers are denying this from what I can tell, and there doesn't seem to be legitimate source reporting. I only saw it hoopsrumors which isn't a legit source.

Well what else are they going to say lol

But yea, I've only seen this sited by 1 source. I'm kind of wondering myself

Bruno
06-28-2015, 07:49 PM

me neither.