PDA

View Full Version : Out of the 2015 Draft Picks...

Dade County
06-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Who do you think...

Will be the Rookie of the Year?

The first out of this group to be selected to play in the All Star game?

The greatest chance of becoming a Star/Super Star type of player?

Scoots
06-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Unless they decide he's hurt I think Okafor will be rookie of the year.

IndyRealist
06-27-2015, 06:59 PM
The poll is not one of the OP's questions.

goose15
06-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Porzingis

Porzingis

Porzingis

j-bay
06-27-2015, 07:28 PM
I voted Kaminsky as biggest bust.

shep33
06-27-2015, 07:47 PM
If Kobe gets hurt I stay Russell.

Dade County
06-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Okafor ... 6ers don't have much.

Okafor or Winslow... It's going to be tough to fit in any of these guys in the ASG out west.

Russell or Okafor ... I can see them becoming star players faster then the others.

Of course Russell will have the Lakers hype media machine and once again, the 6ers really don't have much to put out on the court, so Okafor from the start will get big minutes and plenty of chances with the ball in his hand.

I like Towns too, but out West is hard. It will take Towns a little longer to shine out there.

I also feel that Winslow will be recognized too, but more in a team aspect.

flea
06-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Hard to say among all these. I mean, Oubre and Turner are the easy answers because they are both so raw and having up and down seasons last year. Booker, Cauley-Stein, Lyles, and Payne have ceilings along the lines of "very solid starter" and if any of those 3 are among the top 20 players in the league it will be a huge surprise. Johnson and Winslow have floors of solid role players, but their ceilings don't look immediately attainable without a lot of work.

Then, among the rest, Mudiay and the Euros are the easiest picks for not becoming star players. Those are also the 3 I know the least about so I don't really comment. Kaminsky and Russell have the questionable physical attributes, but both are highly skilled players at positions where athleticism is less of an absolute necessity.

Overall I think Towns could disappoint, though I don't think he'll be bad. I just don't know that he's got enough outstanding skills to be an impact player. His best skill is his shotblocking, but so was Taj Gibson's coming out. I could see a very solid frontcourt man you can pair with a lot of people, but not generally a guy you want as your best frontcourt player unless you've got a very good backcourt. I barely saw him in the screen and roll game and so I'm not sure of his hands, and while he could drive and shoot hooks over college defenders it's a different animal in the NBA (see: Michael Beasely). People talk about his jumpshot but until I see gametime evidence of it color me skeptical - only Lyles really showed off a jumper in that frontcourt. He can play the 5 I'm sure but I don't know if he can do it all game against every team - he could be more Ibaka in that regard. Not that that's bad, but if Okafor and Russell and someone else turn into stars you'll wonder why he got picked so high.

Tg11
06-27-2015, 09:03 PM
2015 biggest bust I think will be either Porzinghis of the Knicks or Hezonja of the Magic, European players generally are busts, only exception to the rule being Nowitzki, Gasol brothers amongst others but that is why European players they shouldn't be rushed into the NBA right away because if they are they usually end up being busts case in point Darko back in 2003

Rookie of the Year will be either Towns, Russell or Okafor they are my front runners

The first to be selected to play in an All Star Game will definitely be D'Angelo Russell because of him being a Laker, Laker country he is bound to become a superstar but bound to get voted in by fans not only in LA but also globally

In terms of star/superstar players in this league I predict Towns, Russell, Okafor, Mudiay and Winslow will all be star/superstars if given like 1, 2 or 3 seasons to mature

ManRam
06-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Porzingis and Hezonja are the obvious picks because they're European and we have our obvious thoughts on that and think all Europeans are the same (fair or not...I personally think not), but I think both have upside that easily outdoes everyone else on that list besides maybe Russell or maybe Okafor if he learns how to defend. They might be higher on potential bust lists than others, but they also should be higher on potential star lists than most others.

Of those first 7, I'd pick WCS. I'm high on all 7 of the first 7 picks...but his lack of offense could limit him a lot IMO. Mudiay maybe would be my other pick among those 7 if he never figures out how to shoot. I do think Porzingis and Mario turn out to be perfectly fine.

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the other guys on that list (from Stanley on) bust. I'm lower on each and every one of them than most seem to be.

b0nk
06-27-2015, 09:29 PM
poringles

IBleedPurple
06-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Hard to say among all these. I mean, Oubre and Turner are the easy answers because they are both so raw and having up and down seasons last year. Booker, Cauley-Stein, Lyles, and Payne have ceilings along the lines of "very solid starter" and if any of those 3 are among the top 20 players in the league it will be a huge surprise. Johnson and Winslow have floors of solid role players, but their ceilings don't look immediately attainable without a lot of work.

Then, among the rest, Mudiay and the Euros are the easiest picks for not becoming star players. Those are also the 3 I know the least about so I don't really comment. Kaminsky and Russell have the questionable physical attributes, but both are highly skilled players at positions where athleticism is less of an absolute necessity.

Overall I think Towns could disappoint, though I don't think he'll be bad. I just don't know that he's got enough outstanding skills to be an impact player. His best skill is his shotblocking, but so was Taj Gibson's coming out. I could see a very solid frontcourt man you can pair with a lot of people, but not generally a guy you want as your best frontcourt player unless you've got a very good backcourt. I barely saw him in the screen and roll game and so I'm not sure of his hands, and while he could drive and shoot hooks over college defenders it's a different animal in the NBA (see: Michael Beasely). People talk about his jumpshot but until I see gametime evidence of it color me skeptical - only Lyles really showed off a jumper in that frontcourt. He can play the 5 I'm sure but I don't know if he can do it all game against every team - he could be more Ibaka in that regard. Not that that's bad, but if Okafor and Russell and someone else turn into stars you'll wonder why he got picked so high.Not sure Mudiay should be lumped with the Euros.

More-Than-Most
06-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Russel will get the Wiggins treatment playing with Kobe... He will get much more hype and air time and so on being a laker... So even if its close like it was with Noel/Wiggins it will go to russel

TylerSL
06-27-2015, 10:32 PM
I think D'Angelo Russell grabs Rookie of the Year

east fb knicks
06-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Okafor is the real deal and the sixers are lucky as hell they got him with embiid looking like the next Sam bowie the Lakers are going to regret not taking okafor

east fb knicks
06-27-2015, 10:52 PM
Imo Winslow is going to be a bust he's a tweener and his shooting percentages are misleading he got a lot of open looks at Duke playing with oak I just don't know what position he plays in the nba and that probably is the reason he slipped to 10

Dade County
06-28-2015, 12:07 AM
Imo Winslow is going to be a bust he's a tweener and his shooting percentages are misleading he got a lot of open looks at Duke playing with oak I just don't know what position he plays in the nba and that probably is the reason he slipped to 10

He's projected to be able to guard 1,2,3, (& if a team is playing small ball) the 4 position as well.

I think Spo will use him as a 2 & 3 (but Spo doesn't think that way), it's position-less rotations in his mind.

When it comes to defense, I see Winslow as a wing defensive version of Draymond Green.

And he also seems to be very good on the fast break, so him & The Dragon will be fast break buddies.

And if by some chance he can hit the open 3 consistently (37%-41% as a rookie), then damn; he will fit in perfect for miami. I believe will find out sooner then later on his skill set.

Clippersfan86
06-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Porzingis leading the poll? WTF?

Crackadalic
06-28-2015, 12:46 AM
Winslow. I always like Stanley Johnson over Winslow and never understood why he got so much hype as a potential top 5 pick. Great athlete though

Think his ceiling is nba starter. Nothing more

elledaddy
06-28-2015, 12:47 AM
We all know that all "euro" players are busts and all American players turn out to be LBJ, Kobe, Paul etc.... why not have the poll, "Which european player will be the Bustiest bust"?

Clippersfan86
06-28-2015, 12:57 AM
We all know that all "euro" players are busts and all American players turn out to be LBJ, Kobe, Paul etc.... why not have the poll, "Which european player will be the Bustiest bust"?

I find it funny that among all this talk of racism and bigotry in our country blatant stereotypes still exist in sports. All white boys are soft jump shooters for example with low upside. Or all foreign players are busts mostly etc. It's dumb. Euro players are actually MORE physical in many cases. Some of the most physical bruisers in our league like Pekovic, Mozgov, Mirotic, Marc Gasol are good examples. Not everybody is freaking Pau Gasol.

Aust
06-28-2015, 01:09 AM
I'd be surprised if Porz wins it.

LakerShow
06-28-2015, 01:16 AM
Russell will win Roy and will be the first to be named a all star.

Munkeysuit
06-28-2015, 02:29 AM
I love Russell's game but hard to beat the fact that the Sixers will showcase Okafor from opening night! playing on a terrible team as the Sixers he (Okafor) will definitely stand out.

hotdalton18
06-28-2015, 06:13 PM

Tweener doesn't really matter when it's the 2/3 spot

He could play both IMO

Even played PF in the ncaa tourny

Can guard anyone

And yah he got some open shots

What do you think he's gonna do with dragic , Wade , bosh and whiteside on his team

2-ONE-5
06-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Okafor should run away with ROY. He will be featured from day 1 while Russ has to deal with Kobe, Randle, and whoever else they sign. Same deal for Porz having to let Melo get his. Winslow will have a shot since Wade could leave plus between him and Deng they will miss plenty of time to allow Winslow to shine. If Tyus Jones gets the chance he could be the sleeper here for sure.

ManningToTyree
06-28-2015, 08:32 PM
I'll pick Russell for ROY

Future allStar Potential:
Russell
Towns
Okafor
Zinger
Mudiay
Payne

ManningToTyree
06-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Okafor should run away with ROY. He will be featured from day 1 while Russ has to deal with Kobe, Randle, and whoever else they sign. Same deal for Porz having to let Melo get his. Winslow will have a shot since Wade could leave plus between him and Deng they will miss plenty of time to allow Winslow to shine. If Tyus Jones gets the chance he could be the sleeper here for sure. I think he is a viable choice but idk about run away with it.

Russell having Kobe and Randle to feed will help his assist numbers. Winslow is another guy with an all around game.

Jahlil will obviously have some solid rebounding numbers but Noel is gunna get his too and if embid is a factor who knows.

Point is scoring isn't the only thing considered.

2-ONE-5
06-28-2015, 08:36 PM
I think he is a viable choice but idk about run away with it.

Russell having Kobe and Randle to feed will help his assist numbers. Winslow is another guy with an all around game.

Jahlil will obviously have some solid rebounding numbers but Noel is gunna get his too and if embid is a factor who knows.

it pretty much is all that matters otherwise Noel wins it last season.

ManRam
06-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Tweener doesn't really matter when it's the 2/3 spot

He could play both IMO

Even played PF in the ncaa tourny

Can guard anyone

And yah he got some open shots

What do you think he's gonna do with dragic , Wade , bosh and whiteside on his team

"tweener" is a word that becomes less and less damning year after year. positionless basketball is here. forcing players into archaically-defined positions is silly.

i'm low on winslow, but not because of his "tweener" status.

Dade County
06-28-2015, 09:14 PM
"tweener" is a word that becomes less and less damning year after year. positionless basketball is here. forcing players into archaically-defined positions is silly.

What are his negatives to you?

He won't be thrown in the fire (even tho he's in a HEAT jersey lol), and ask to do a lot. He will be a roll player at first; Spo will test him to guard certain players and see how he responds and if he is up for the challenge.

flea
06-28-2015, 09:33 PM

Disagree, tweener status still makes your future questionable. The difference now is that wing tweeners and cornerman tweeners are more easily hidden defensively as teams move almost entirely to matchup zones. If you can shoot they'll find a spot for you these days as it's less important that you can defend your position.

I think guard tweeners and big man tweeners still muddy a prospect's future:

-Guard tweeners: if you can't run the P&R 50-60% of the time you're not going to be an NBA PG for 90% of teams. If you're too small to stick at the 2 then you're Jamal Crawford and you better hope for a good situation. Don't think that's going to change as teams move to zone looks fulltime.

-Bigs tweeners (between the 4 and 5): if you can't shoot and are too small (by length, frame, height, w/e) to win box-out battles against 5s then you're going to have a hard time sticking in a rotation. Teams only play 7 footers for 3 reasons: boards, paint protection, and defending other 7 footers. In the zone era the paint protection is becoming less of an absolute necessity, especially when coupled with what you can gain on offense. Don't get wrong, rim protectors are still going to be immensely valuable if they can contribute offensively (that will never change in basketball, along with efficient ISO scoring I think it's the most valuable skill). It's just that teams are making due without them.

Even for wings and cornermen I think being a tweener means you better be very good at one or two things or else you're screwed. It's not like the Lance Thomases of the world were taking the league by fire before 2005.

BallIsAll
06-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Who do you think...

Will be the Rookie of the Year? Emmanuel Mudiay

The first out of this group to be selected to play in the All Star game? Karl Towns

The greatest chance of becoming a Star/Super Star type of player? Emmanuel Mudiay

If Lawson gets traded Emmanuel will have the most opportunity to be the #1 on his team the rest in the draft won't have the free reign. If he plays how he's supposed to he might average 20 7 5

lurkinglionsfan
06-28-2015, 09:40 PM

Thank you i thought i was the only one who thought he was overhyped along with wcs and russel (think he will be good but no where near what they are hyping him as)

SeoulBeatz
06-28-2015, 09:50 PM
My pick would be Kaminsky. He could be a Olynyk type player, but I don't see his skillset translating into anything more than a role player. I like all of the other players in the top 10 though, with Herzonja being my sleeper pick to exceed expectations.

Jarvo
06-28-2015, 11:33 PM
Okafor or Winslow will be ROTY

Russell will be the biggest disappointment, I just don't see him living up to the hype people on here and everyone else has given him. (Hope I'm wrong)

1st to be an All Star will be Winslow

basch152
06-29-2015, 01:09 AM
I went winslow because the worse he does th better detroit feels about their pick.

hotdalton18
06-29-2015, 02:26 AM

Thank you i thought i was the only one who thought he was overhyped along with wcs and russel (think he will be good but no where near what they are hyping him as)

Raised his play to 14ppg and 9 rebounds in the tourney and helped win his team a championship as a freshmen

Top 3 defensive player in the draft

Motor that never stops

Good on the break

Decent shooting stroke

Can drive

I mean , what's not to like ?

Everything points towards him being a star

naps
06-29-2015, 02:38 AM
Okafor will be the ROY. But question is can he start the season and stay healthy throughout? He is good and healthy now but then again he is sixer's pick. Their lotto picks never play lol. Really hope Okafor stays healthy though.

No way in the hell Russell wins ROY playing next to Kobe just being a spot up shooter like Derek Fisher. Kobe will dominate like he used to in his prime and easily lead the league in shot attempts with 25 a piece. Lakers need to pray Kobe is out most of the season so Russell can transition his game smoothly and gets to make and learn from the mistakes. With Kobe his confidence will be shut.

And I see a lot of frustrated people here hating on Winslow...specially fans of those euro projects whose bust potential is significantly higher and had no business getting picked so high.

QueensG_718
06-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Steal winslow

Roy russel

First allstar game i would say okafor

Biggest bust towns

And vest play whens all said and done porzingis

nycericanguy
06-29-2015, 10:17 AM

agreed, he couldn't hit a wide open 15 footer to save his life during the workouts I saw of him.

They said he did really poorly in workouts thats why he slipped.

He measured 6'4 also... he's the same height as Mudiay but Winslow is supposed to be a SF?...

He's not going to have the physical advantage in the NBA that he did over most guys in college.

I'm glad NY didn't take him, could be Shump 2.0.

ManningToTyree
06-29-2015, 10:40 AM
I think he is a viable choice but idk about run away with it.

it pretty much is all that matters otherwise Noel wins it last season. not true. Noel had no business beating out wiggins

And Russell is going to score plenty too (more then Noel) it's not really the same comparsion.

2-ONE-5
06-29-2015, 11:02 AM
not true. Noel had no business beating out wiggins

And Russell is going to score plenty too (more then Noel) it's not really the same comparsion.

sure he did, numerous outlets wrote stories on Noel being the real ROY. Only thing wiggins did better was score, Noel was better in just about everything else and hell even less than .5 behind him in assists and having a PER over 1 point higher too. Im not saying Wiggins didnt deserve it but him scoring nearly 17ppg played the largest role, that and everyone hates the Sixers lol.

In terms of Russ and Noel yea not the same but for Russ to have a chance at ROY it is going to depend on who they add to figure how much of a chance he will have. The flipside it will allow him to really learn how to be a distributor on this level while he grows his game.

xvnxhj
06-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Unless they decide he's hurt I think Okafor will be rookie of the year. http://insuranceautocars.com/insurance/images/42.gifhttp://insuranceautocars.com/insurance/images/37.gif

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Russ