PDA

View Full Version : The biggest difference between Okafor and Al Jefferon is passing ability

Purch
06-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Since this is the most common comparison I see for Okafor... I'd like to adress it..

Whiles Al Jefferon was always a great post player, with great potential... His biggest issue on the Timberwolves was that he was a Black hole, and he was an awful passer. So everytime he would get double teamed he'd either put up a bad shot attemp, turn the ball over, or pass it out way to late in the clock. This made it easy for teams to to limit his impact, and completely shut down his teams offense. It also made him very inefficient for a post player of his caliber. Even though he improved on this on the Jazz and the Hornets, it's still been his biggest issue.

However, Okafor is just as strong of a post player, but is also a great passer on top of it. By being a great passer he'll be able to go 1 on 1 more often and score more efficiently than Jefferson. This is because when you can make the correct pass and read double teams, it makes defenses play you straight up. Because of this Okafor will be a much more efficient scorer than Jefferson.

Jefferson had all the potential in the world, but his passing has limited him his whole career. Okafor can be the kind of scorer Jefferson could have been if that wasn't an issue

TheNumber37
06-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Okafor is not as mobile or good of a rebounder and that's saying a lot

I think he's a better scoring passing brook Lopez.

22ppg 8rpg, 4apg in his prime

naps
06-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Bigs that can't defend are going to be useless in modern NBA. The game is getting ridiculously perimeter oriented and only bigs that can defend and shoot high percentage free throws will see time during the most important stretches of games. I hope he can develop these areas.

flea
06-26-2015, 09:56 PM

Both false. Okafor moves very well, he's just not an elite athlete. He finished P&Rs at a very high percentage and that is the bread and butter of most offenses these days. He's got everything you want from a roll man, just like Duncan - he can use his frame to finish through contact, has great touch from a variety of angles, can pop and hit a jumper if the defense runs to the rim, and he can settle into a post-up and move the ball from there.

He was also one of the best offensive rebounders last year in college, and projects very well at that because of his frame and length. His 2 demerits were sometimes lackluster effort defensively (both man and boxing out) and messing up P&R coverage. Those can be cleaned up at least to some degree. Jefferson has PF size, isn't a great passer, and isn't a great finisher. I'd say Al Jefferson is Okafor's floor.

Aust
06-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Preach!

PowerHouse
06-26-2015, 10:37 PM
So great offensively, good post player, nice passer, average-below average defender, starting his career as a pretty bad FT shooter, 6'11 270.

Looking at all of this why isnt he compared to Cousins?

yasharel
06-27-2015, 02:03 AM
Starting at 51 % isnt bad. Hell be able to easily get that up to about 70% in no time. Okafor reminds me of tim duncan.

GunFactor187
06-27-2015, 02:14 AM
Good lord, the adjustment from looking at the name "Okafor" and thinking Emeka to Jahlil is proving to be a REAL tough one for me haha!

Teeboy1487
06-27-2015, 03:04 AM
Okafor needs a roster where he is surrounded by shooters. Philly does not have none of that outside of Covington who is a decent shooter at SF. I think Philly needs to rebuild their rebuild lol. Okafor should be the center piece and they should build around him. A start would be trading both Noel and Embiid as soon as possible and I mean both of them. They would both or even one of them would clog the lane for Okafor. Okafor is not as bad on defense as people think. I just think he needs a little development. He was injured at the second half of the season so maybe that affected his play defensively.

Philly should go hard after a PG that can shoot and score, a Damian Lillard type. They also need a versatile 4 who can help rebound and shoot. Maybe someone like Ben Simmons in Next Year's draft. Keep Covington and maybe sign another decent shooter at the 2 in Free Agency or draft.

Philly needs to change the culture and prove to the rest of the nba that they are ready to start winning. I say they should Tank one more year just to go after Ben Simmons and that's it.

Kyben36
06-27-2015, 06:19 AM
People under rate FT % issues, Getting better isnt that easy. These Kids have shot thousands of FTs already, and he can only hit 50%, I do not see him getting better.

KnicksorBust
06-27-2015, 07:38 AM
Size of their hands

STRIKERC
06-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Nerlens Noel was worse at FT shooting but the player development coaches we have in Philly corrected his shot. We they can do that with Noel they cab easily fix Okafor's shot.

Watch out for Jordan McRae next season. He's a shooter they stashed away in Australia last season.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
06-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Both false. Okafor moves very well, he's just not an elite athlete. He finished P&Rs at a very high percentage and that is the bread and butter of most offenses these days. He's got everything you want from a roll man, just like Duncan - he can use his frame to finish through contact, has great touch from a variety of angles, can pop and hit a jumper if the defense runs to the rim, and he can settle into a post-up and move the ball from there.

He was also one of the best offensive rebounders last year in college, and projects very well at that because of his frame and length. His 2 demerits were sometimes lackluster effort defensively (both man and boxing out) and messing up P&R coverage. Those can be cleaned up at least to some degree. Jefferson has PF size, isn't a great passer, and isn't a great finisher. I'd say Al Jefferson is Okafor's floor.

Exactly this. Okafor is really agile. IDK where people are getting this big Al comparison from.