PDA

View Full Version : Should the Knicks trade Carmelo Anthony?

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 11:09 AM
I've yet to find an analyst predicting Kristaps Porzingis to come in to the NBA and have an impact like Okafor/Russell/Towns. You will find some that people the potential is there but many, even Phil Jackson, seem to believe it is a 1-2 year process before we start to see consistent production out of him.

The likelihood of the Knicks being a contender in the East is roughly slim to none unless they hit a home run in free agency. Even with an elite FA signing it is tough to envision them surpassing the Cavs. Let's be realistic, building a roster around Carmelo Anthony is extremely difficult. You know you are getting a go-to scorer that holds on to the ball. You are getting a SF who frequently clogs the paint by playing on the low block. And you are getting a subpar defender. This creates an issue where you either play him out of position at the 4 for mis-matches offensively, or you need a stretch 4. Theoretically Porzingis is that player but then you need an absolutely elite rim protector and Greg Monroe is not that player.

The two simple questions I'm asking here are:

#1.) Would the Knicks be better of trading Carmelo Anthony?
#2.) Is there a realistic trade partner?

xxplayerxx23
06-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Russell for Melo!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't trade Melo right now though

ManRam
06-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Normally I'd say that they might as well wait to see what they can do in free agency considering their cap space, but I don't think it's wise to assume they can do much. Jimmy, Kawhi, Dray and LeBron aren't going anywhere. I don't love how LMA fits next to Melo. Like you said, it is hard to build around him. Monroe won't shift the barometer much at all either. I think Gasol is really the guy they could get that would help them out tremendously, and that's really it. Maybe DAJ to a lesser extent. Monroe isn't shifting the barometer much either.

But if they can't do that then they aren't contending in the next 2 years and you'd be delusional to think otherwise. Melo isn't getting any younger. You've drafted a guy that could have star potential, but not for some time. Winning in the short term isn't happening...and I think it's always wiser to admit that sooner rather than later.

What do you gain from holding onto him and not contending?

Trade partners? I don't know. I'm not good at speculation.

Oh, and I think Porzingis will develop into a perfectly fine rim protector. Not a good one-on-one post defender necessarily, but a rover who will swat a good 2-3 shots a game.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Doesn't melo have a **** contract?

LongIslandIcedZ
06-26-2015, 11:26 AM
I would only trade Carmelo if it meant they could get their draft pick back from Toronto. Whether that means trading him to the Raptors or involving a third team.

Once you trade Carmelo you are committing to a serious tank and rebuild. I am cool with that. I'm not a Carmelo fan, and I think a proper tank is exactly what this team needs.

But there is no point to tanking if you dont have your draft pick. So if they can get that pick back, tank away.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 11:27 AM

I actually think Okafor for Melo makes a lot of sense but no way Hinkie takes that.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 11:28 AM
I would only trade Carmelo if it meant they could get their draft pick back from Toronto. Whether that means trading him to the Raptors or involving a third team.

Once you trade Carmelo you are committing to a serious tank and rebuild. I am cool with that. I'm not a Carmelo fan, and I think a proper tank is exactly what this team needs.

But there is no point to tanking if you dont have your draft pick. So if they can get that pick back, tank away.

Melo to Toronto makes a lot of sense. They have a gap at forward and they are already a contending team in the East. Who says no in that situation?

mudvayne387
06-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Nope. They actually have a chance to build a quality team in the East with a little luck.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Normally I'd say that they might as well wait to see what they can do in free agency considering their cap space, but I don't think it's wise to assume they can do much. Jimmy, Kawhi, Dray and LeBron aren't going anywhere. I don't love how LMA fits next to Melo. Like you said, it is hard to build around him. Monroe won't shift the barometer much at all either. I think Gasol is really the guy they could get that would help them out tremendously, and that's really it. Maybe DAJ to a lesser extent. Monroe isn't shifting the barometer much either.

But if they can't do that then they aren't contending in the next 2 years and you'd be delusional to think otherwise. Melo isn't getting any younger. You've drafted a guy that could have star potential, but not for some time. Winning in the short term isn't happening...and I think it's always wiser to admit that sooner rather than later.

What do you gain from holding onto him and not contending?

Trade partners? I don't know. I'm not good at speculation.

Oh, and I think Porzingis will develop into a perfectly fine rim protector. Not a good one-on-one post defender necessarily, but a rover who will swat a good 2-3 shots a game.

That's the problem. The best and most likely FA signing would be Monroe and the Knicks would be one of the 5-10 worst defensive teams in the league with a Melo-Porzingis-Monroe frontcourt. You can't defend that way. There are rumors about David West to NY.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Doesn't melo have a **** contract?

A max deal. Are you saying there would be no market?

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Nope. They actually have a chance to build a quality team in the East with a little luck.

Humor me, what would quality as a "little luck" ?

FOXHOUND
06-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Why is it hard to build around Melo when just three years ago they won 54-games with a declining Tyson, JR Smith, Raymond Felton and Iman Shumpert?

Get good defenders and shooters and you'll have a good team with Melo. Monroe may not be amazing or anything, but his skill set is perfect for the triangle which will raise his game and he's way better offensive help than JR Smith and Raymond Felton combined.

FOXHOUND
06-26-2015, 11:35 AM

Probably Marc Gasol, for the most part haha.

PC
06-26-2015, 11:36 AM
That's the problem. The best and most likely FA signing would be Monroe and the Knicks would be one of the 5-10 worst defensive teams in the league with a Melo-Porzingis-Monroe frontcourt. You can't defend that way. There are rumors about David West to NY.

I posted this in another thread but if we get a guy like Hibbert, I think his presence can hide Porzingis on defense. And as a weak side defender I think he would be fine, even in his rookie season. If we round out the team with a Wes Matthews and Monta Ellis, both on prove it 1 year deals with player options before the cap explodes, we might as well try to make the playoffs in 2016 seeing as how we don't have a pick. Worst case scenario, things don't work out and we can revisit a complete rebuild the following season when we actually have a pick. Best case scenario, we have a solid season with a bunch of cap flexibility the following season. Bottom line is, there's no reason to do a complete rebuild this offseason.

AstonMartin34
06-26-2015, 11:45 AM

Melo to Toronto makes a lot of sense. They have a gap at forward and they are already a contending team in the East. Who says no in that situation?

Even if you get the pick from Toronto, Denver still has the right to swap picks. They need to hope Denver does worse next season if they decide to do a full rebuild and trade Melo.

LA4life24/8
06-26-2015, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=KnicksorBust;30095332]Melo to Toronto makes a lot of sense. They have a gap at forward and they are already a contending team in the East. Who says no in that situation?[/QUOTE
... Lala.. lol

ManRam
06-26-2015, 12:07 PM

That's why I voted "yes". I don't think they can find the answers in FA this summer. No reason to set yourself back a few years just to get a 6 seed.

limebalz05
06-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Nobody wants that contract, bad attitude, bad knees, aging veteran.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Even if you get the pick from Toronto, Denver still has the right to swap picks. They need to hope Denver does worse next season if they decide to do a full rebuild and trade Melo.

Good call totally forgot about that.

Avenged
06-26-2015, 12:17 PM

I actually think Okafor for Melo makes a lot of sense but no way Hinkie takes that.

How does that make any sense? You wish!

J_M_B
06-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Doesn't Melo have a NTC? It'll probably be difficult to get a quality return

jerellh528
06-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Melo and cousins can switch places lol

BKLYNpigeon
06-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Harrison Barnes + David Lee + 1st round pick.

mudvayne387
06-26-2015, 01:15 PM

Signing guys like Danny Green, Greg Monroe, David West to reasonable contracts. Then when the cap increases and Calderon's salary is shed you can add another max player. They will be a playoff team next season if their starting 5 is:

Grant
Green
Anthony
West
Monroe

Still have Calderon, Porzingis, Galloway, Early, Antetokounmpo on the roster.

Should be able to retain Aldrich and Thomas

Rest of the roster will consist of vet mins.

Probably a 6-8 seed next year with the possibility of becoming a top 4 team as soon as the 16/17 rolls around.

Of course the luck aspect of it all is hoping that those guys buy into the system and sign here.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Looks like I beat the reports of Melo crying by an hour.

Dade County
06-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Melo to the HEAT?

beasted86
06-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Melo to the HEAT?

NBA = WWE = Entertainment

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ordaa55
Expiring contracts for an all-star:
Deng + Chalmers + Andersen for Carmelo Anthony

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Melo to the HEAT?

Nah. Knicks can get better than just expirings. Gotta have something. Either Winslow and/or a 1st.

NYKnickFanatic
06-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Nah. Knicks can get better than just expirings. Gotta have something. Either Winslow and/or a 1st.

I'd take expirings and have a go at Durant next year.

NYKnickFanatic
06-26-2015, 03:00 PM

Totally makes sense. Kobe and Melo are besties. :)

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-26-2015, 03:12 PM

That's horrible trade. Bird man on the decline. Heat couldn't find any takers for Chalmers last trade deadline. Deng is a journeyman now. Melo is still a All star for what it's worth. Not a true winner. He would fetch better then this. Maybe if Winslow was thrown in that package that spark Phil up a bit.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 03:31 PM

The Sixers already have a potential franchise center and pf in embiid and noel. They need an elite scoring wing. They even have Saric waiting in the wings. How does trading one of your 4 bigs for a top 15-20 player not make sense?

Dade County
06-26-2015, 10:02 PM
That's horrible trade. Bird man on the decline. Heat couldn't find any takers for Chalmers last trade deadline. Deng is a journeyman now. Melo is still a All star for what it's worth. Not a true winner. He would fetch better then this. Maybe if Winslow was thrown in that package that spark Phil up a bit.

I'm sure if Pat puts together a package of... Winslow, Rio, Birdman, McRob; they could get Phil on the phone.

Dragic
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Whiteside

Some of the knick's fan base are so angry right now, that Phil could pull the rebuild card and they would forget they don't have there 1st rd pick next year (just joking) lol

I think Miami might hold on to Winslow, he did fall into their lap.

More-Than-Most
06-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Said they should have traded him before they even signed him down to the dumbass contract and got torched by knick fans... He is a max player that cant play a lick of defense. Ala Harden but harden has more help around him.

Cal827
06-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Good call totally forgot about that.

Still though, it probably would be better to have a pick in the next seasons draft (since Denver will likely struggle, probably a top 10-15 as well) then nothing.

I hope we don't go after him. I don't think that Ujiri would be interested. He's an elite offensive player when healthy, but just bad on the other end. Most of the Raptors problems in the 2nd half of the season involved lack of defense and Isolation plays. Carmelo would make us better offensively, but would further expose the two main weaknesses of the 2nd half of last year, that led to their early playoff exit.

If they do go after him, it would have to be a marketing move. Melo definitely sells jerseys, and MLSE loves making money (as we've seen **** Brooklyn T-Shirts and "We don't give a **** about it" shirts as well.... as a Raptor fan, it's so disgusting to me that so many supposed fans buy into the crap, but I digress).

Cal827
06-26-2015, 11:31 PM
I actually think that Miami might be a potential candidate, since the Roster is of the "Win Now" Theme.

Ty Fast
06-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Melo for Love??

NYKNYGNYY
06-26-2015, 11:40 PM

Couldn't be said any better

JustinTime
06-26-2015, 11:46 PM

Your first is looking very nice right now...so **** that. Melo is hardly better than Rudy Gay and look how he worked out here. Also, that first could end up being the Raptors shot at the next big Canadian super star Jamal Murray.

Cal827
06-26-2015, 11:53 PM

I can't think of many situations where another team would be willing to get involved. The only one I can think of at the moment would maybe be something between Toronto-Chicago-New York where the Raptors grab Gibson off Chicago (defensive purposes). But even with that stretch, I don't think the Bulls would be part of a Melo deal, without going after Melo themselves, or moving him away from the conference :laugh2:

I think the Raptors might take the 26 million in cap room and go after a max player first.... Chase Lebron now :laugh2:

YashBoone
06-26-2015, 11:59 PM
I'm one of the more patient fans so yeah I'll bite.
If we could move melo for some 1st round picks and a solid cheaper vet I would definitely do it

c.c.
06-27-2015, 07:03 AM
He was a yearly contender on the Nuggets, I don't know why he wanted to leave so bad. Playing in New York is not worth wasting your career.

Badluck33
06-27-2015, 08:36 AM
"If Melo gets traded to CLE does that make LBJ The GOAT?"

Should I start the tread or wait for someone else to??

xxplayerxx23
06-27-2015, 08:48 AM
I'm sure if Pat puts together a package of... Winslow, Rio, Birdman, McRob; they could get Phil on the phone.

Dragic
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Whiteside

Some of the knick's fan base are so angry right now, that Phil could pull the rebuild card and they would forget they don't have there 1st rd pick next year (just joking) lol

No lol

xxplayerxx23
06-27-2015, 08:52 AM
He was a yearly contender on the Nuggets, I don't know why he wanted to leave so bad. Playing in New York is not worth wasting your career.

Yeah that yearly contended that got knocked out in the first round every year. His career isn't over yet

xxplayerxx23
06-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Your first is looking very nice right now...so **** that. Melo is hardly better than Rudy Gay and look how he worked out here. Also, that first could end up being the Raptors shot at the next big Canadian super star Jamal Murray.

Lol melo would actually make your team a contender unlike now

IBleedPurple
06-27-2015, 08:57 AM
He was a yearly contender on the Nuggets, I don't know why he wanted to leave so bad. Playing in New York is not worth wasting your career.He put that tiny handcuff on his left ring finger.

da ThRONe
06-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Yes the Knicks are way too far behind to play catch up while Anthony is still in his prime. It's better for both parties. I was stunned Jackson signed Melo to begin with and it leads me to believe he's a terrible decision maker as far as personnel goes.

Cal827
06-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Lol melo would actually make your team a contender unlike now

:laugh2: The only Knick that would make us a contender is you :D

Melo issues are pretty much what our two main issues were coming down to the end of the season.

GiantsSwaGG
06-27-2015, 09:38 AM

Dragic
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Whiteside

I'll say it again, if Whiteside isn't including there no point in even considering the Heat

GiantsSwaGG
06-27-2015, 09:39 AM
:laugh2: The only Knick that would make us a contender is you :D

Melo issues are pretty much what our two main issues were coming down to the end of the season.

Lol I hate Melo more than anyone but if you switch DeRozen with Melo, you guys would beat the Wiz imo

FOXHOUND
06-27-2015, 10:26 AM
He put that tiny handcuff on his left ring finger.

The Nuggets were going nowhere, just like they haven't since he left despite getting a "steal" for Melo like so many people think haha. He also quite simply wanted to play in NY, like he's always said.

There's also that guy, his name is George Karl. The guy who has had issues with players from Seattle, to Milwuakee, to Denver, to Sacramento. Hilarious how people take sides in these situations. Karl was so bad in Milwaukee that he drove Ray Allen to the point of publicly trashing him after he was traded to Seattle. Why did Allen want out of Milwaukee? Why did Iggy leave Denver? Why is this stuff happening with Cousins?

George Karl is the answer you seek, not Melo.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-27-2015, 10:32 AM
The Nuggets were going nowhere, just like they haven't since he left despite getting a "steal" for Melo like so many people think haha. He also quite simply wanted to play in NY, like he's always said.

There's also that guy, his name is George Karl. The guy who has had issues with players from Seattle, to Milwuakee, to Denver, to Sacramento. Hilarious how people take sides in these situations. Karl was so bad in Milwaukee that he drove Ray Allen to the point of publicly trashing him after he was traded to Seattle. Why did Allen want out of Milwaukee? Why did Iggy leave Denver? Why is this stuff happening with Cousins?

George Karl is the answer you seek, not Melo.

George Karl broke up the Bucks big 3 of Allen, Robinson, Cassell.

GiantsSwaGG
06-27-2015, 10:38 AM

George Karl is an idiot, I still don't get why he traded Ray Allen for Gary Payton

c.c.
06-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Yeah that yearly contended that got knocked out in the first round every year. His career isn't over yet

That Nuggets team made the WCF. He went from yearly playoffs series in the Western Conference (the stronger conference) to being on a lotto team on the East.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-27-2015, 10:43 AM
George Karl is an idiot, I still don't get why he traded Ray Allen for Gary Payton

Payton was already washed up. He was no glove just a worn out mitten.

FOXHOUND
06-27-2015, 10:45 AM

Same reason he wants to trade Cousins for Lawson and Faried.

GiantsSwaGG
06-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Payton was already washed up. He was no glove just a worn out mitten.

Karl ruined the Bucks imo, Ray was killing it in Seattle while Payton was a rental and went on to the Lakers

FOXHOUND
06-27-2015, 10:49 AM

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Allen-grew-to-despise-Karl-1121700.php

If you can make Ray Allen this upset with you... guy is a crappy person.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Karl ruined the Bucks imo, Ray was killing it in Seattle while Payton was a rental and went on to the Lakers

Glad Karl was fired after that. Cause Payton would of stayed on 4/$40M if Karl wasn't fired. Only reason he bolted for LA on vet minimum contract.. That's the year Lakers got Payton and Malone.

Scoots
06-27-2015, 10:53 AM
An aging star on a rebuilding team only works if the aging star accepts the leadership role. Anthony should not have been signed, but the Knicks, like the Lakers, need a star and that's his designation.

Free Melo.

FYL_McVeezy
06-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Dragic
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Whiteside

:laugh:

Blink
06-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Well Detroit needs a #1 go to option. We have young wings in KCP/Stanley Johnson. PG's almost in their prime Jennings/Jackson. Expiring deals Jennings/Ilyasova/Tolliver and of course draft picks.

Of Course Drummond isnt going anywhere.
But I'm not sure man. That contract with his age.

Jennings/KCP/Ilyasova + many picks but even then that not nearly enough.

Aust
06-27-2015, 12:29 PM
No

Dade County
06-27-2015, 12:39 PM
:laugh:

:laugh2:

You made me LoL

Norieaga
06-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Wouldn't trade anything for him. Has a bad attitude, whines a lot, good scorer but poor defender, and is aging.

mrblisterdundee
06-27-2015, 01:39 PM
I've yet to find an analyst predicting Kristaps Porzingis to come in to the NBA and have an impact like Okafor/Russell/Towns. You will find some that people the potential is there but many, even Phil Jackson, seem to believe it is a 1-2 year process before we start to see consistent production out of him.

The likelihood of the Knicks being a contender in the East is roughly slim to none unless they hit a home run in free agency. Even with an elite FA signing it is tough to envision them surpassing the Cavs. Let's be realistic, building a roster around Carmelo Anthony is extremely difficult. You know you are getting a go-to scorer that holds on to the ball. You are getting a SF who frequently clogs the paint by playing on the low block. And you are getting a subpar defender. This creates an issue where you either play him out of position at the 4 for mis-matches offensively, or you need a stretch 4. Theoretically Porzingis is that player but then you need an absolutely elite rim protector and Greg Monroe is not that player.

The two simple questions I'm asking here are:

#1.) Would the Knicks be better of trading Carmelo Anthony?
#2.) Is there a realistic trade partner?

Dallas would seem one of the only places willing to splurge on Carmelo, but it just lost its biggest expiring contract in Rajon Rondo.

Clint Olbrock
06-27-2015, 01:54 PM
Who would want this dude who plays zero defense, isn't a great rebounder, not a willing passer(ball hog) and has a terrible contract?

Dude is a proven loser.

Cal827
06-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Lol I hate Melo more than anyone but if you switch DeRozen with Melo, you guys would beat the Wiz imo

Oh god.... but the isolation tho. We'd lose on the 5 second rule, cause nobody is going to want to inbound the ball, and lose possession of it. :laugh2:

Towards the end of the year, Derozan might've been the best passer :pity:

InRoseWeTrust
06-27-2015, 03:15 PM
For the right offer, why not? And by that I mean if Phil is blown away by what the offering team is putting on the table.

InRoseWeTrust
06-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Who would want this dude who plays zero defense, isn't a great rebounder, not a willing passer(ball hog) and has a terrible contract?

Dude is a proven loser.

To be fair, when Melo is able to play more of a 4, he's a pretty good rebounder.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-27-2015, 03:47 PM
They must, knicks finally have to rebuild not retool like they have done for god knows how long