PDA

View Full Version : Kristaps Porzingis of Latvia

Sssmush
06-26-2015, 04:42 AM
The Knicks select Kristaps Porzingis with the 4th overall pick!

PurpleJesus
06-26-2015, 05:07 AM
The pick makes sense.

The way the fans treated him doesnt.

IBleedPurple
06-26-2015, 05:10 AM
The pick makes sense.

The way the fans treated him doesnt.Draft picks getting booed never sits right with me.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-26-2015, 05:21 AM
you will eat your words, this guy will be great

GiantsSwaGG
06-26-2015, 06:04 AM
The pick makes sense.

They were freaking classless even the kid taking crying selfess

PraiseJesus
06-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Nothing is a sure thing. Not even my prediction of DLO to the Lakers was a sure thing.

But Krystaps has a chance to be great player

c.c.
06-26-2015, 06:50 AM
Is he playing next season or staying over seas?

QueensG_718
06-26-2015, 06:59 AM
Hes playing. We should wait and see before we go criticizing him. He seems hubgry to get better. His upside is through the roof. He has the skills of a gaurd for a 7'1 guy. He just needs to get stronger and he will.

Toronto Homer
06-26-2015, 07:10 AM
I don't know a lot about him, but a lot of the experts really liked him going into the draft. I just hope Knick fans can be patient with him. He will need a couple of years before he reaches his potential from what I have read. If the booing idiots at the draft were any indication, I have my doubts about the patience part.

NYKnickFanatic
06-26-2015, 07:16 AM
Is he playing next season or staying over seas?

Playing.

NYKnickFanatic
06-26-2015, 07:18 AM
I don't know a lot about him, but a lot of the experts really liked him going into the draft. I just hope Knick fans can be patient with him. He will need a couple of years before he reaches his potential from what I have read. If the booing idiots at the draft were any indication, I have my doubts about the patience part.

Knicks fans don't have patience. We never want to rebuild, we always want to win now. I want us to win, whether it's now or in five years. I have no problem waiting.

Saddletramp
06-26-2015, 07:20 AM
Skank with a Tank is back. Great. You just gave me another reason to root for the guy.

I really hope he does well after those fans booed him and seeing his thoughtful interview.and how he always wanted to play for the Knicks (unless he just made that up). And that he worked on his English so it wouldn't be a distraction shows that it's not just about putting the ball in the hoop.

Might be Dirk, might be Vessely. I guess we'll see.

Iron24th
06-26-2015, 07:33 AM
you will eat your words, this guy will be great

I don't think he will, but whatever there's no need to bash the guy, let's just see how it plays out.

I'm glad the Lakers didn't pick him though.

mudvayne387
06-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Liked the Porzingis pick when it happened and now love it considering they picked up Jerian Grant. I know exactly what Phil was thinking. Let me draft the guy with highest potential at #4 and try to develop him. But Also, trade for a combo guard who will fit well into the system as soon as next year. We Knick fans have to be patient with Porzingis. He may not be a factor for 2-3 years but there is no denying that his talent is off the charts. I suggest doing a bit of research before making a useless thread.

beasted86
06-26-2015, 08:03 AM
He has the skills, but will take 3 years to fill out.

Right now he can't compete on the boards at that size. He makes Nerlens look bulky.

Hard to be upset at this if you're a Knicks fan. It was between him and Mudiay only basically.

omdigga
06-26-2015, 08:17 AM
are people surprised fans in Ny booed the pick? is this your first time watching the draft? No matter who Phil Jackson picked, the fans were going to boo. If Kristaps is hurt over it, he might as well not come to training camp cause the media is not gonna be easy on this guy. Hopefully he has some thick skin.

As for potential, the knicks made the best pick available. And now we wait...

pebloemer
06-26-2015, 08:25 AM
I'm not a Knicks fan, but if I were in their position I'd take Porzingis too. As a Raptors fan, I have plenty of reasons to be skeptical of Euro draft picks, but you can't paint everyone with the same brush. Porzingis has the potential to be great.

JasonJohnHorn
06-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Knicks fans were going to boo unless they got one of the guys that went top three.

Sac-Town fans got upset when Stojakovic got picked to. Fans boo and get upset all the time about picks that turn out right, and get excited for picks that don't end up panning out.

NYKalltheway
06-26-2015, 08:38 AM
he's a top 5 pick in this draft. Still prefered Hezonja over him who's imo the best player in this draft.

beasted86
06-26-2015, 08:47 AM
he's a top 5 pick in this draft. Still prefered Hezonja over him who's imo the best player in this draft.

Feel like he had bigger bust potential than Zinger. He could totally be a taller prime Ginobili, just as easy as the next Rudy Fernandez.

ewing
06-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Knicks fans were going to boo unless they got one of the guys that went top three.

Sac-Town fans got upset when Stojakovic got picked to. Fans boo and get upset all the time about picks that turn out right, and get excited for picks that don't end up panning out.

He was a choke artist

nycericanguy
06-26-2015, 09:06 AM
For some reason Zinger doesn't seem like the typical Euro bust.

It seems he fell to #4 because of the "EURO bust stigma" and GM's were afraid to take him. But he seems hungry as hell and his english is very good.

JLynn943
06-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Seems like a good fit to me :shrug:

I wanted him in Sacramento.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2015, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV9JNkQ2NU

Anyone watch this? Awesome job Grantland. Very rare at this level of inside access. Including a clip of Blazers executives interviewing him in his hotel.

DarkKnight
06-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Who knows and a few years we will tell, kid has potential, as do most draft picks do

Clippersfan86
06-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Dude I'm gonna be watching this guy closely. His coach said he grew another inch in the last few months. The dude is already nearly 7'2" barefoot!!!!!!! If he keeps growing and becomes basically like a 7'3" Dirk/Gasol... watch out NBA.

Toronto Homer
06-26-2015, 09:27 AM

Anyone watch this? Awesome job Grantland. Very rare at this level of inside access. Including a clip of Blazers executives interviewing him in his hotel.

Nice clip. Thanks for posting it.

JLynn943
06-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Dude I'm gonna be watching this guy closely. His coach said he grew another inch in the last few months. The dude is already nearly 7'2" barefoot!!!!!!! If he keeps growing and becomes basically like a 7'3" Dirk/Gasol... watch out NBA.

Paul George 2.0 :laugh2:

JLynn943
06-26-2015, 09:28 AM

That was a good watch. Thanks.

Clippersfan86
06-26-2015, 09:34 AM
That was a good watch. Thanks.

NP man :)

Crackadalic
06-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Zinger will be a project but if we are patient with him and not rush him to be a star he will be a force by year 3/4

The thing I like about him is he says the best thing about going to the states is going to the gym anytime he wants. Most young guys care about money and brand. This guy wants to work on his body and game. I'll be rooting for you man

deaner
06-26-2015, 10:45 AM
To me it seemed revealing with the pick what Phil's plan will be... draft best player available and use zinger as an asset when Phil finds the player he wants to trade for. There's no way NY or Phil has the patience to wait for Zinger.

As a raptor's fan I would take back Jose in a trade for Zinger.

BKLYNpigeon
06-26-2015, 11:09 AM
I think he's going to be good in 2 years.

Knicks fans are impatient.

QueensG_718
06-26-2015, 11:11 AM
If zinger didnt go 4th he would of went 5th. As a knick fan im ecstatic to have him on my team.

nycericanguy
06-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Pau Gasol & Dirk both had the same body type and both came over and contributed big time right away. I mean Pau put up 18/9/3/3 his rookie year and Dirk put up similar numbers his 2nd year.

I think we're going to know early on if this kid is the real deal or not, I don't think he's 3-4 years away.

Heck even 18 year old Gallo came in and produced his 2nd year, which was really his rookie year because he was hurt his official rookie year.

If the Knicks put the right vets around, and it seems they should be able to add Monroe, West and a SG like Green... combined with Melo & JC... I think he'll be able to produce right away and possibly be a 2nd/3rd option by his 2nd year.

BKLYNpigeon
06-26-2015, 11:37 AM
If Porzingis was Black, everyone would would rave about him and calling him the next KG.

greg_ory_2005
06-26-2015, 11:46 AM
The NY fans and media will probably crush this kid's confidence

nycericanguy
06-26-2015, 11:48 AM
The NY fans and media will probably crush this kid's confidence

If you play with heart and fire NY will love you.

Gallo was a skinny, awkward 18 year old kid but he quickly won over the NY crowd with his tenacity and fire for the game.

Zinger seems to be of that Gallo mold much more than Bargs.

FYL_McVeezy
06-26-2015, 12:00 PM
I don't love the pick but now that he is a Knick we have to be patient....we won't see anything substantial for at least another 2-3 seasons...

nycericanguy
06-26-2015, 12:03 PM
I don't love the pick but now that he is a Knick we have to be patient....we won't see anything substantial for at least another 2-3 seasons...

we don't know that though, yea we should be patient, but if Pau, Dirk, Bargs, Gallo can all come in as skinny teenagers and immediate produce, then why can't Zinger?

I don't think Zinger is any less "NBA ready" than other guys in this draft.

Google pictures/vids of Dirk & Pau their rookie years, they had the same body type... Pau was 227lbs but he averaged 18/9/3/3 his rookie year.

Zinger is 230 with a better shot, hopefully he can add 5lbs this summer and come into next year at 235.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-26-2015, 12:09 PM
People keep saying this guy will either be the biggest bust or best player in this draft, nothing in between.

Lol that is so dumb. He could easily be something in between. What if he turns into Bargnani with better defense... then what? Then he is a decent starting center. He doesn't have to be the next Dirk and he doesn't necessarily have to be a huge bust. He could easily just be a solid piece and my guess is that is what he ends up being in all honesty.

beasted86
06-26-2015, 12:10 PM
If Porzingis was Black, everyone would would rave about him and calling him the next KG.

That's an idiotic statement since everyone is raving about him now.

Raving about him so much some said he could have gone 2nd overall and could very well still be the best player in this draft in 5 years. And he's also being compared to an all time great saying he's the next Dirk.

Take race out of itwhen it doesn't need to be part of this discussion.

beasted86
06-26-2015, 12:13 PM
People keep saying this guy will either be the biggest bust or best player in this draft, nothing in between.

Lol that is so dumb. He could easily be something in between. What if he turns into Bargnani with better defense... then what? Then he is a decent starting center. He doesn't have to be the next Dirk and he doesn't necessarily have to be a huge bust. He could easily just be a solid piece and my guess is that is what he ends up being in all honesty.

Good point. It's always a polarizing discussion. People forget the Mehmet Okur type Centers who are just very solid with a long career.

FYL_McVeezy
06-26-2015, 12:15 PM
we don't know that though, yea we should be patient, but if Pau, Dirk, Bargs, Gallo can all come in as skinny teenagers and immediate produce, then why can't Zinger?

Google pictures/vids of Dirk & Pau their rookie years, they had the same body type... Pau was 227lbs but he averaged 18/9/3/3 his rookie year.

Zinger is 230 with a better shot, hopefully he can add 5lbs this summer and come into next year at 235.

Yea I mean like star potential...I think he will come in shooting well from day 1. He will struggle in the post in the mean time until he gets stronger...

NYKnickFanatic
06-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Knicks need to just throw this kid out there and let him play, so he can develop.

He can't play 10-15 min a game. Dude needs to average 25-30 min a game.

FYL_McVeezy
06-26-2015, 12:19 PM

Hawkeye15
06-26-2015, 12:21 PM
The pick makes sense.

Knicks fans would boo jesus if he was drafted dude, where you been for the last 20 drafts haha

infernoscurse
06-26-2015, 12:23 PM
hes a white manute bol!

FraziersKnicks
06-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Knicks need to just throw this kid out there and let him play, so he can develop.

He can't play 10-15 min a game. Dude needs to average 25-30 min a game.

This is my thinking. 25-30 mins a game and I could see him putting up 13/6 on good shooting numbers.

It seems like his main weaknesses are centred on his physique. He's 19 years old and seems to have a great work ethic. If he can put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and get up to 250, work on some defensive fundamentals and develops his post game, he'll be fine.

It's not like Mudiay or Winslow who have question marks with their shot, or Okafor and his defensive issues and free throw shooting. His weaknesses are based on something that will improve naturally over time, and will help him become a better rebounder and post defender as he gets stronger. Not to say the other guys can't work on their weaknesses, but it's a lot easier to bulk up in the gym and develop your strength than it is to fix a broken shot or teach a player to play defense.

5ass
06-26-2015, 02:10 PM
I think he's a long way from becoming a good player in the NBA. He's going to struggle on both sides of the ball initially. I just hope NY doesn't put too much pressure on him. Its almost a given that he won't contribute immediately, and you can't fault the guy for getting picked. Hopefully he keeps his confidence level up and his head high. With him being mostly potential, he needs the right environment to develop. I'm rooting for him.

Hawkeye15
06-26-2015, 02:11 PM
I think he's a long way from becoming a good player in the NBA. He's going to struggle on both sides of the ball initially. I just hope NY doesn't put too much pressure on him. Its almost a given that he won't contribute immediately, and you can't fault the guy for getting picked. Hopefully he keeps his confidence level up and his head high. With him being mostly potential, he needs the right environment to develop. I'm rooting for him.

that sig is awesome haha, love that attitude

Hawkeye15
06-26-2015, 02:12 PM
this kids frame is going to kill him initially, but if the Knicks have some patience (I know, I know), he could be an excellent player. That tall with range, ball handling, and defense is beyond rare.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 02:14 PM
this kids frame is going to kill him initially, but if the Knicks have some patience (I know, I know), he could be an excellent player. That tall with range, ball handling, and defense is beyond rare.

We had a poster in the Knicks Forum compare him to Sabonis. He just doesn't have that frame. Unfortunately I have to agree with you there. Although there were a lot of people hating on Durant too and he found a way. This kid def has work ethic and that makes a huge difference.

Hawkeye15
06-26-2015, 05:12 PM
We had a poster in the Knicks Forum compare him to Sabonis. He just doesn't have that frame. Unfortunately I have to agree with you there. Although there were a lot of people hating on Durant too and he found a way. This kid def has work ethic and that makes a huge difference.

Sabonis?

Just cause Durant did it doesn't mean everyone will obviously, but you know that. His legs are sooooooo skinny, I do think he will get pushed around a lot. But he will naturally gain some weight, and with NBA trainers, if he could put on 15-18 pounds over the next couple of years, he should be fine.

NYKalltheway
06-26-2015, 06:39 PM
You guys haven't seen young Sabonis as it seems.

PraiseJesus
06-26-2015, 07:13 PM
I think Knicks fans are going to be pleasently surprised with this guy

Blitzace137
06-26-2015, 07:14 PM
To me it seemed revealing with the pick what Phil's plan will be... draft best player available and use zinger as an asset when Phil finds the player he wants to trade for. There's no way NY or Phil has the patience to wait for Zinger.

As a raptor's fan I would take back Jose in a trade for Zinger.

Jose's contract is not as bad as people make it out to be. I'd rather use stretch clause on him if Phil really wanted to get rid of him.

Hawkeye15
06-26-2015, 07:16 PM
You guys haven't seen young Sabonis as it seems.

I have seen some of him. I don't think it's a good comparison.

Blitzace137
06-26-2015, 07:18 PM

He's listed at 233. He needs to add lower body strength, Squats and dead lifts. He needs to add muscle mass as well. I think he'll be fine AD was skinny as hell too, he added weight within 2 seasons.

FraziersKnicks
06-26-2015, 07:20 PM
He's listed at 233. He needs to add lower body strength, Squats and dead lifts. He needs to add muscle mass as well. I think he'll be fine AD was skinny as hell too, he added weight within 2 seasons.

Yeah I think 250 should be the magic number for Zinger.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2015, 09:09 PM
"Right now I'm a stretch 4, [but] I can step inside," Porzingis said after being introduced to the New York media on Friday. "I don't just want to be a 7-1 guy who's only 3-point shooting. So right now I see myself as a 4-man. For the future, obviously when I get stronger and I will get stronger ... I will be able to guard 5s and play the 5 position."

5ass
06-26-2015, 10:11 PM
"Right now I'm a stretch 4, [but] I can step inside," Porzingis said after being introduced to the New York media on Friday. "I don't just want to be a 7-1 guy who's only 3-point shooting. So right now I see myself as a 4-man. For the future, obviously when I get stronger and I will get stronger ... I will be able to guard 5s and play the 5 position."

Nice. I think he'll be a bad defender initially, but quickly improve. I was thinking he's more of a 3/4 hybrid on defense. I'm sure he'll be able to guard some 5s eventually. Love this kid though.

5ass
06-26-2015, 10:13 PM
that sig is awesome haha, love that attitude

Yeah Mario's a badass. Lol

mudvayne387
06-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Yeah Mario's a badass. Lol

Ah yes the white JR Smith

5ass
06-26-2015, 11:08 PM

:yawn: he's dedicated to the game and has a high basketball IQ. JR does not. I heard he has Kobe like obsessive work ethic. Wants to be the first to arrive and last to leave practice every time.

Off-the-court accounts of Hezonja are hard to come by. People who've worked with him describe him as a "basket-holic" who avoids clubbing, parties or social events.

"He is married to basketball. He was the youngest player ever to play in the top division in Croatia at age 13. His character is unbelievable. Mario approached everything in life like a challenge," Kunce said.

"When Mario was a kid, I arranged with the school for him to work out from 08:00-10:00 before class," Kunce recalled. "We then trained again from 18:00-20:00. Every day that was his schedule. During the offseason last summer, he would call me each morning for training from 06:30-08:30.

"Mario sacrificed his childhood for his dream."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2502765-meet-nba-draft-prospect-mario-hezonja-europes-kobe-bryant-wannabe

If you know anything about the magic, you know Rob REALLY values work ethic. Look at Gordon, Dipo and Payton. When you work that hard, you can be cocky.

But what really separates Hezonja is an attitude eerily similar to the player who once wore Mario's No. 8.

rocketfuel
06-27-2015, 06:19 AM
It seems like the fans just get a kick out of booing. That stupid little kid mugging for the camera probably didn't know a thing about Porzingis. Scouts and many draft experts like Chad Ford think very highly of him. He's 7'2", athletic, can drive well and shoot very well... There's a bit of stereotyping here too...just because he's white and European.... automatically he's being compared with other past Euros, whether his game is like them or not.... why can't he be compared with any non-white player?

rocketfuel
06-27-2015, 06:23 AM

He looks pretty nimble actually....but I think people are hesitant because he's a white Euro. I think he should be judged individually.

rocketfuel
06-27-2015, 06:28 AM
Pau Gasol & Dirk both had the same body type and both came over and contributed big time right away. I mean Pau put up 18/9/3/3 his rookie year and Dirk put up similar numbers his 2nd year.

I think we're going to know early on if this kid is the real deal or not, I don't think he's 3-4 years away.

Heck even 18 year old Gallo came in and produced his 2nd year, which was really his rookie year because he was hurt his official rookie year.

If the Knicks put the right vets around, and it seems they should be able to add Monroe, West and a SG like Green... combined with Melo & JC... I think he'll be able to produce right away and possibly be a 2nd/3rd option by his 2nd year.

Yeah, definitely. I think skill and athleticism are more important. A skinny kid can always fill out... but a guy that lacks hops or has bad fundamentals is going to have a hard time in the long run. Phil and his team have an eye on this kid for a long time....he had wanted for a while to get him if he became available. It kind of shows how Phil has balls to not succumb to public opinion like past GMs.

KnicksorBust
06-27-2015, 07:37 AM

:yawn: he's dedicated to the game and has a high basketball IQ. JR does not. I heard he has Kobe like obsessive work ethic. Wants to be the first to arrive and last to leave practice every time.

Off-the-court accounts of Hezonja are hard to come by. People who've worked with him describe him as a "basket-holic" who avoids clubbing, parties or social events.

"He is married to basketball. He was the youngest player ever to play in the top division in Croatia at age 13. His character is unbelievable. Mario approached everything in life like a challenge," Kunce said.

"When Mario was a kid, I arranged with the school for him to work out from 08:00-10:00 before class," Kunce recalled. "We then trained again from 18:00-20:00. Every day that was his schedule. During the offseason last summer, he would call me each morning for training from 06:30-08:30.

"Mario sacrificed his childhood for his dream."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2502765-meet-nba-draft-prospect-mario-hezonja-europes-kobe-bryant-wannabe

If you know anything about the magic, you know Rob REALLY values work ethic. Look at Gordon, Dipo and Payton. When you work that hard, you can be cocky.

But what really separates Hezonja is an attitude eerily similar to the player who once wore Mario's No. 8.

Yeah that JR Smith comparison made no sense to me either. Glad u crushed it. If the Magic can find a rim protector watch out bc I love their backcourt.

xxplayerxx23
06-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Yeah that JR Smith comparison made no sense to me either. Glad u crushed it. If the Magic can find a rim protector watch out bc I love their backcourt.

At worse he will be a better version of Jr

YashBoone
06-27-2015, 09:30 AM
I know at least 5 people who jumped ship after the pick. Then again, they are also the kind of dudes who have backup teams with superstars on them.

I didn't love the pick in the first 10 seconds. Then I remembered that every team in the top 5 would take him if they had the balls.

Congrats to phil for making that hard choice. I really hope it pans out because this was the last straw for some fans.
I don't agree with that at all since technically his real work has just begun.
But between grant and porzigis, Knicks have 2 really solid pieces for the future.

yungincome
06-27-2015, 09:43 AM
LoL. Knick fans, at least you know that Phil Jackson knows how to give it to you the way you like it. Hahahaha Porzingis it is almost too perfect

roflmao

Starting a thread with "lol".. Yeap, didn't scroll after that. You sir, are a clown.

tredigs
06-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Solid moderating... clearly not a bait thread.

goose15
06-27-2015, 10:41 AM
he reminds me of Shawn Kemp, only and better shooter without the highlight dunks and 4 inches taller

NYKalltheway
06-27-2015, 11:20 AM
I have seen some of him. I don't think it's a good comparison.

I think I was the only person in the Knicks forum who mentioned him. I didn't compare them. I compared Sabonis' impact and Porzingis' potential impact. I don't think he's ever going to reach that level, but he might. Sabonis was a skinny explosive center who could shoot and pass better than most PGs of all time. This guy is also a skinny PF/C type of player who can do those things so it's a fair comparison in general, but not to him as it's unncessary pressure. My initial position was that this guy would definitely be better than Bargnani ever was at worst and at best, has the potential to be the greatest European player of all time, which means to exceed Sabonis. So there's no Sabonis comparison, just a comment on his ceiling.

cncgh
06-27-2015, 11:22 AM
LoL. Knick fans, at least you know that Phil Jackson knows how to give it to you the way you like it. Hahahaha Porzingis it is almost too perfect

FYL_McVeezy
06-27-2015, 11:24 AM
It seems like the fans just get a kick out of booing. That stupid little kid mugging for the camera probably didn't know a thing about Porzingis. Scouts and many draft experts like Chad Ford think very highly of him. He's 7'2", athletic, can drive well and shoot very well... There's a bit of stereotyping here too...just because he's white and European.... automatically he's being compared with other past Euros, whether his game is like them or not.... why can't he be compared with any non-white player?

1) Me personally...I think he's a Dirk/KD hybrid....does he ever reach that potential/celiing? I don't know...

2) The race argument is weak and has been since this whole process started...

Scoots
06-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Could be great, needs time and protection for his confidence ... things he will struggle to get in NY.

LakerShow
06-27-2015, 11:34 AM
I think it's funny how knick fans overreact and complain. The kid is going to be alright

G_S_W
06-27-2015, 01:41 PM
1) Me personally...I think he's a Dirk/KD hybrid....does he ever reach that potential/celiing? I don't know...

I haven't watched any of the kid's highlight clips, nor have I read any detailed player evaluation.

Having said that, as a skilled 7' big, I hope you're right in your prediction.

It would be great for the league, and great for the knicks.

As far as the dirk comparison, dirk was thrown right into the mix immediately, struggled a lot at first and eventually became an all time great.

I hope this kid gets his chance right away, plays a lot and finds a way through his struggles.

Blitzace137
06-27-2015, 01:58 PM

Blitzace137
06-27-2015, 01:59 PM
I think it's funny how knick fans overreact and complain. The kid is going to be alright

That's only irrational fans. Rational fans sees the kids potential. He was a top 5 pick for a reason.

rocketfuel
06-27-2015, 05:42 PM

And that's why the main guys he keeps getting compared to are white guys, even with many of those white guys have very different games....its so lazy.

Hawkeye15
06-27-2015, 05:51 PM
I think I was the only person in the Knicks forum who mentioned him. I didn't compare them. I compared Sabonis' impact and Porzingis' potential impact. I don't think he's ever going to reach that level, but he might. Sabonis was a skinny explosive center who could shoot and pass better than most PGs of all time. This guy is also a skinny PF/C type of player who can do those things so it's a fair comparison in general, but not to him as it's unncessary pressure. My initial position was that this guy would definitely be better than Bargnani ever was at worst and at best, has the potential to be the greatest European player of all time, which means to exceed Sabonis. So there's no Sabonis comparison, just a comment on his ceiling.

oh ok, ok. I get that.

They are both 7+ footers who can handle, pass, and shoot like guards. I agree.

But Sabonis was so boss. Knicks fans can only hope this kid is as good as Sabonis was. He developed a power game pretty early into his 20's however, that is why I didn't get the comparison. Will this kid?

It's sad, most people only saw the Sabonis that came over after injuries. He was still excellent, but not the same talent anymore.

allSUAVE
06-27-2015, 05:55 PM
I Like the pick ,im hoping he succeed...he wants it bad.

Kashmir13579
06-27-2015, 07:46 PM
I like the pick. #inphilwetrust at this point

NYKalltheway
06-27-2015, 07:50 PM
oh ok, ok. I get that.

But Sabonis was so boss. Knicks fans can only hope this kid is as good as Sabonis was. He developed a power game pretty early into his 20's however, that is why I didn't get the comparison. Will this kid?

It's sad, most people only saw the Sabonis that came over after injuries. He was still excellent, but not the same talent anymore.

If he's a 1/4 of what Sabonis was in his prime, he'll dominate the league :D
Glad you were lucky enough to have watched him during his prime. The guy was skinny as hell for his size but he could break a backboard without realizing it :p

Jamiecballer
06-27-2015, 10:39 PM
I won't be able to watch big bang theory from now on without hearing Sheldon say "porzingis!"

Jamiecballer
06-27-2015, 10:43 PM

Kunce

Clippersfan86
06-28-2015, 12:14 AM
oh ok, ok. I get that.

I didn't watch back then but is it true that prime Sabonis in the Olympics would manhandle guys like prime David Robinson? I've heard the legends about this.

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2011/08/retro-scouting-arvydas-sabonis-vs-david.html

This piece asks the question about what if he came over to the NBA as a healthy 23 year old? Funny enough even at a more advanced age in Portland with injuries I always remember Sabonis giving prime Shaq as many problems as anyone else.