PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new proposed draft rule allowing early entrants to return to college

jerellh528
06-25-2015, 02:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13142145/ncaa-proposes-new-nba-draft-rule-allow-underclassmen-return-school

This is awesome, is it too good to be true? What are some negatives?

bleedprple&gold
06-25-2015, 02:20 PM
There are absolutely no negatives. It should have been done years ago. Actually it should have never not been done.

NYKnickFanatic
06-25-2015, 02:22 PM
It's awesome and should have been done a long time ago. Gives the kids a chance to see where they will be projected and if they don't like it, could go back to school and work harder on their game.

Hopefully it passes though.

mike_noodles
06-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Pretty sure that as long as they didn't hire an agent they could always go back.

crewfan13
06-25-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure exactly what they are planning with the rules, but personally, I wouldn't mind them having a few different deadlines. First off, give the early entrants a chance to withdraw from the draft up until 2 days prior to the draft. Then split the draft into 2 nights, and allow entrants who weren't selected into the first round another opportunity to go back. Let's say the drat ends at 10:00pm on Thursday night, set the deadline at 9:00 am on Friday morning as a 2nd withdrawal deadline. It allows players a chance to re-evaluate and it allows teams at the top of the drat to negotiate with players (i.e. we will take you with the 35 pick if you're available) to let players know if they want to stay or go. And if you have it at 9:00am or something, it still gives teams plenty of time to adjust draft boards based upon who's staying and who's going.

One radical developmental proposal I would add would be this. What about allowing for teams to do almost a draft and develop type of situation with their draft picks. Give the picks an opportunity to go back to school for 1 year after the draft, while teams still possessing their rights. I'd assume there'd have to be some money exchanged, but I think they could make it work. Plenty of teams use the European market as a way of drafting a developmental guy that doesn't count towards their 15 man roster in the regular season, so why not give colleges that chance as well. I'm not sure if college's would be all for this, but I think it would make some sense for both parties.

Bostonjorge
06-25-2015, 02:32 PM
First thing kids do before declaring is get a agent. You can't have a agent in the NCAA or talk to one. The agents make sure they get the max $ for whatever pick they we're and guarantee $. I love the idea tho. It will help the game for sure.

IndyRealist
06-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Pretty sure that as long as they didn't hire an agent they could always go back.

The issue I think was with the NCAA's deadline for withdrawing from the draft, which was significantly earlier than the combine. The NBA's deadline is not changing.

king4day
06-25-2015, 02:34 PM

The only area of concern I could see would be, the draft lottery would have already taken place. So if a player that KNOWS he's probably going # 1 or 2, you might not like a team that is going to draft that high. So you back out and school it up for one more year.

Not a terrible issue as the benefits far outweigh the negatives, but I do believe that could be taken advantage of some day.

king4day
06-25-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure exactly what they are planning with the rules, but personally, I wouldn't mind them having a few different deadlines. First off, give the early entrants a chance to withdraw from the draft up until 2 days prior to the draft. Then split the draft into 2 nights, and allow entrants who weren't selected into the first round another opportunity to go back. Let's say the drat ends at 10:00pm on Thursday night, set the deadline at 9:00 am on Friday morning as a 2nd withdrawal deadline. It allows players a chance to re-evaluate and it allows teams at the top of the drat to negotiate with players (i.e. we will take you with the 35 pick if you're available) to let players know if they want to stay or go. And if you have it at 9:00am or something, it still gives teams plenty of time to adjust draft boards based upon who's staying and who's going.

One radical developmental proposal I would add would be this. What about allowing for teams to do almost a draft and develop type of situation with their draft picks. Give the picks an opportunity to go back to school for 1 year after the draft, while teams still possessing their rights. I'd assume there'd have to be some money exchanged, but I think they could make it work. Plenty of teams use the European market as a way of drafting a developmental guy that doesn't count towards their 15 man roster in the regular season, so why not give colleges that chance as well. I'm not sure if college's would be all for this, but I think it would make some sense for both parties.

Very interesting idea.

NYKnickFanatic
06-25-2015, 02:39 PM
The only area of concern I could see would be, the draft lottery would have already taken place. So if a player that KNOWS he's probably going # 1 or 2, you might not like a team that is going to draft that high. So you back out and school it up for one more year.

Not a terrible issue as the benefits far outweigh the negatives, but I do believe that could be taken advantage of some day.

I don't think anyone is backing out of a draft, if you are going 1 or 2, because you don't like that team.

Aust
06-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Very interesting idea.

Yeah that sounds pretty cool

Muttman73
06-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Anything that keeps the kids in school longer and helps the league is a good idea.

crewfan13
06-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Yeah that sounds pretty cool

Would have been interesting to see if a draft and stash rule was in place last night. 6 of the last 11 picks were foreign players who will likely not be coming over. Would have been interesting to see if someone would have pulled the trigger on a guy like Wood or Harrision if there was a system in place that would allow them to go back to college for a year as an asset of a certain team (with possibly a minimum salary or something in place). As long as they don't count towards a team's roster limit, I think that would be an intriguing option to teams, even if they would have to pay certain fee.

I know that would go against the NCAA's amateurism rules and everything, so its likely to never happen, but I think its something that could both be beneficial to college hoops and the NBA. Keeping players in the NCAA longer likely means there's a better product and if my team has the draft rights to a guy like Wood, it probably means I'm more likely to watch UNLV games, even if I'm not a huge NCAA fan. And from the NBAs point of view, it is a nice developmental option as opposed to just drafting a foreign player late, who is likely to turn into a guy who never comes over.