PDA

View Full Version : Best Draft Class of All Time

Tg11
06-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Hands down we have seen some great draft classes like 2001, 1998, 1999, 1995, 1993, 1987, 1985, 2003 and 1996 but hands down the best draft class in terms of depth hands down has to be 1996 (A.I., Kobe, Nash, Stojakovic, Marbury, Abdul-Rahim, Ben Wallace, Ilgauskas, Antoine Walker, Ray Allen) speaks for itself

mike_noodles
06-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Hard to beat a class with 5 HOFers.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 11:38 AM
2003 is another draft class that has depth (Lebron, Carmelo, Bosh, Wade) but also 2003 had busts in that draft as well

YAALREADYKNO
06-25-2015, 12:00 PM
96 followed by 84 then 03. 98 had some nice players but no where near those other 3

Tg11
06-25-2015, 12:05 PM
84 yes is another good draft how I didn't mention it before, 84 was probably one of the best hands down and then 96 and then 85

R. Johnson#3
06-25-2015, 03:49 PM
96 easily

MTar786
06-26-2015, 04:17 AM
84 96 and 03 are the best by a mile

numba1CHANGsta
06-26-2015, 07:02 AM
This draft was so deep that there was some undrafted players who can be key players for many franchise teams

hidalgo
06-26-2015, 07:40 AM
1984 by far

then 2003, then 1996 i guess

JasonJohnHorn
06-26-2015, 08:03 AM
No offence to the OP, but it really sounds like you are quite young with a statement like that.

Hakeem. Jordan. Barkley. Stockton. All of those guys are better than Allen, who was the second best player in that draft behind Kobe, and I would put Kobe behind both Jordan and Hakeem hand down. AI is just a chucker who led the league in scoring while having one of the LOWEST shooting percentages in the league by throwing up shot after shot.

The 84 draft also had Alvin Robertson, Sam Perkins, Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, Michael Cage, and Jerome Kersey, all of whom played at a very high level. Not to mention some quality rotation players like Sam Bowie (whose career was hampered by injury and who could have been great), Vern Fleming, Tony Campbell, Jeff Turner, and Ron Anderson. Some of these late names you guys might not remember or recognize, but they were talented players who managed to stay in the league for ten years or so, and managed roles as key rotation players for much of that time.

In terms of depth, as in sheer number of players who proved extremely valuable, the 86 draft is also more impressive, though the top-tier talent may not be as good as 96's. Dennis Rodman, Brad Daughtery, Jeff Hornacek, Ron Harper, Dell Curry, Scott Skiles, Sabonis, Mark Price, and Kevin Duckworth.

Not to mention guys who proved to be effective rotation players for a number of years: John Salley, Kenny, Walker, Johnny Dawkings, Johnny Newman, Nate McMillan, Kenny Gatison, and David Wingate.

Also, Roy Tarpley and Len Bias, whose careers were ruined by drugs, were both extremely talented players.

Don't get me wrong. 96 is amazing. Kobe, Allen, Nash. Iverson, Camby, Sharif. Walker, Marbury, Stojakovic. O'Neal, Iglaskus. But to me, guys like Iverson, Walker and Marbury were inefficient player, and once you go past those 11 guys, there isn't a lot else in the draft, so while the top 11 players are pretty impressive, the rest of the draft is $#!te. The 84 draft had 10 guys of note, four of whom are in the HOF, and also had another dozen guys who last in the league for a while. The 86 draft had nine or ten guys of note, and then another 10 who stayed in the league for a decade or so. Sure, the 96 draft had guys who hung around like Eric Dampier, but 86 and 84 had serviceable bigs like him as well, they just didn't last as long because the league was extremely deep at C at the time.

I'm not saying there is a HUGE gap between 84 or 86 and 96, but if you put a roster together with those drafts, 84 would come out on top every time. 96 would have a shot against 86 for sure, but if you took out the top ten players in each draft and let the rest of the players go at in, 86 would win hands down, so if we are talking about depth, then 86 has a clear advantage there.

mightybosstone
06-26-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm going to go with JJH here. It's 1984 by a pretty solid margin. Yeah, 1996 was a little deeper than 84 in terms of overall talent, but the 1984 draft had two top 10 all-time caliber guys (MJ, Hakeem) and two more top 25 caliber guys (Barkley, Stockton). The 1996 class has one top 10 caliber player (Kobe) and three top 50 guys in Nash, Allen and AI.

After the four obvious studs from 84, we can't forget some of the other pieces from that draft, like Robertson, Perkins, Wilkins, Cage and Thorpe. Although 96 probably gets the edge in terms of depth as I'd take Wallace and Peja over pretty much all of those guys.

I'd probably still give the slightest of edges to 96 over 2003. I think the 03 class has one top 5-10 guy (Lebron), one top 25 caliber guy (Wade) and a couple of top 75-100 guys in Melo and Bosh, but that's about it in terms of top tier talent. The 03 class does have some decent depth behind it with West, Kaman, Hinrich, Diaw and Mo Williams, but none of those guys are remotely close to Hall of Fame caliber. 96 probably had more top tier talent, more Hall of Famers and more depth.

InRoseWeTrust
06-26-2015, 09:29 AM

God bless you for writing that post so I didn't have to. I mean...really? We're going to cite Stephon Marbury?

Heatcheck
06-26-2015, 01:58 PM
whats wrong with Marbury?

SLY WILLIAMS
06-26-2015, 02:47 PM
1984 is hard to beat because of such great HOF talent (4) among the picks. MJ, Hakeem, Barkley and Stockton? Wow

1985 is sometimes overlooked but it has 4 HOF players as well. Patrick, Malone, Mullin, Dumars

In my opinion the early 1980's was one of the best eras for college hoops in large part because of these amazing names.

96 had some amazing names as well but they do not compare well as NBA players to 1984.

Ty Fast
06-26-2015, 03:48 PM
84, 03, and 96 in that order

IKnowHoops
06-26-2015, 08:43 PM
yeah 03 is a beast. In a game 84 and 03 go at it and they destroy 96. 95 would beat 96 actually in an actual game.

Sanjay
07-06-2015, 02:54 AM
yeah 03 is a beast. In a game 84 and 03 go at it and they destroy 96. 95 would beat 96 actually in an actual game.

I reckon a 1996 draft team would beat a 1995 one.

Here is two teams off the top of my head:

PG: Iverson
SG: Kobe
SF: A. Walker
PF: O'Neal
C: Camby

PG: Childress
SG: Stackhouse
SF: Finley
PF: Garnett
C: Thomas

JasonJohnHorn
07-06-2015, 06:44 AM
Not sure you put 95's best talent forward there

PG: Damon Stoudire/Childress/Snow
SG: Michael Findley/Stackhouse/Brent Barry
SF: Joe Smith/Corliss Williamson
PF: Rasheed Wallace/Kurt Thomas/McDysse
C: Kevin Garnett/Theo Ratliff/Bryant Reeves

That'd actually be a pretty deep roster.

I'm not sure they'd beat 96 in a best of seven, but they'd have a shot. 96 would have a clear advantage in the back court, and 95 would eat them alive in the paint. The problem is that Iverson would hurt the team with his high-usage and low FG%. And getting an offensive rebound would be next ti impossible with Garnett, Thomas, Raflitt, McDysse and Wallace on the court.

YAALREADYKNO
07-06-2015, 09:40 AM
96 is better than 03 IMO. More depth

Scoots
07-06-2015, 12:46 PM
No offence to the OP, but it really sounds like you are quite young with a statement like that.

Hakeem. Jordan. Barkley. Stockton.

Not just 4 hall of fame players but 4 guys on the NBA's all time team and 4 guys who are top 5 at their positions (at least) of all time. 84 in a walk.

crewfan13
07-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Not sure you put 95's best talent forward there

PG: Damon Stoudire/Childress/Snow
SG: Michael Findley/Stackhouse/Brent Barry
SF: Joe Smith/Corliss Williamson
PF: Rasheed Wallace/Kurt Thomas/McDysse
C: Kevin Garnett/Theo Ratliff/Bryant Reeves

That'd actually be a pretty deep roster.

I'm not sure they'd beat 96 in a best of seven, but they'd have a shot. 96 would have a clear advantage in the back court, and 95 would eat them alive in the paint. The problem is that Iverson would hurt the team with his high-usage and low FG%. And getting an offensive rebound would be next ti impossible with Garnett, Thomas, Raflitt, McDysse and Wallace on the court.

To be fair, I'm not sure he put the best possible 96 team together either. If you're actually trying to win a game, you'd probably start

Nash
Allen
Kobe
O'Neal
Camby
6th man Iverson

If you were insistent on an actual SF starting at the 3 over having Kobe slide down to start Allen, you might even be better off with Peja than Antoine Walker. You'd also still have Big Z to come off the bench and bang with a couple of those bigs from 95.

mrblisterdundee
07-06-2015, 11:19 PM
1. 1984

PG - John Stockton, Vern Fleming
SG - Michael Jordan, Alvin Robertson
SF - Charles Barkley, Jerome Kersey
PF - Otis Thorpe, Sam Perkins
C - Hakeem Olajuwon, Kevin Willis

2. 1996
PG - Steve Nash, Ray Allen,
SG - Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson
SF - Peja Stojakovic, Shareef Abdur-Rahim
PF - Jermaine O'Neal, Antoine Walker
C - Marcus Camby, Zydrunas Ilgauskas

3. 2003
PG - Kirk Hinrich, Mo Williams
SG - Dwyane Wade, Kyle Korver
SF - LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony
PF - Chris Bosh, David West
C - Boris Diaw, Nick Collison

4. 1987
PG - Mark Jackson, Kevin Johnson
SG - Reggie Miller, Kenny Smith
SF - Scottie Pippen, Derrick McKey
PF - Horace Grant, Armen Gilliam
C - David Robinson, Olden Polynice

5. 1985
PG - Terry Porter, Joe Dumars
SG - Chris Mullin, Detlef Schrempf
SF - A.C. Green, Xavier McDaniel
PF - Karl Malone, Charles Oakley
C - Patrick Ewing, Arvydas Sabonis

mrblisterdundee
07-06-2015, 11:22 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure he put the best possible 96 team together either. If you're actually trying to win a game, you'd probably start

Nash
Allen
Kobe
O'Neal
Camby
6th man Iverson

If you were insistent on an actual SF starting at the 3 over having Kobe slide down to start Allen, you might even be better off with Peja than Antoine Walker. You'd also still have Big Z to come off the bench and bang with a couple of those bigs from 95.

You're forgetting about Shareef.

IKnowHoops
07-07-2015, 01:41 AM
First off, in a game, I'll take the starting 5 of

PG Damon Staudamire
SG Stackhouse/Finley
SF KG
PF Antonio Mcdysse
C Rasheed

over

PG Nash
SG AI/Ray