PDA

View Full Version : Russell to LA. Growing greatly

Stunner
06-25-2015, 11:14 AM
@KevinDing: I now expect Lakers to draft Ohio State guard D'Angelo Russell. My column on @Dloading: http://t.co/4wTCshe9AC

Bron > Kobe
06-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Leverage I believe. If the trade with Sac falls through I think the Lakers want to make a deal with Philly knowing how much they want Russell. We'll see

JLynn943
06-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Russell is a great prospect so I could see it being legit and not just for leverage. I'd love to see the Lakers fans all suddenly switch to rationalizing why they'd take him over Okafor though lol.

jerellh528
06-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Smokescreen. I'm pretty sure they want their first back from phila. But who knows. There's so many conflicting reports about everyone and every player right now, it's crazy.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 11:26 AM
I'm surprised the Lakers aren't making any deals to try to draft Okafor or Towns for that matter

bleedprple&gold
06-25-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm surprised the Lakers aren't making any deals to try to draft Okafor or Towns for that matter

Deals for Towns or Okafor? We are guaranteed to get one of them if we want, no deals required.

mike_noodles
06-25-2015, 11:34 AM
I call bs. Somebody looking for a few extra hits on draft day.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Lakers should draft Towns but he will go #1 so best option would be Okafor

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-25-2015, 11:37 AM
I don't see why they don't draft him and sign one of the many bigs available this year. I wouldnt mind Chandler on a short deal and the rest of the money on a small forward

Chandler
Randle
Butler? Leonard? Harris?
Kobe
Russell/Clarkson

Tony_Starks
06-25-2015, 11:38 AM
I'd actually prefer Russell. This isn't your ordinary team so you need more than skill, you need someone with the charisma and swag to run the show when Kobe leaves. Russell seems like he's more built for that. I think Okafor will be a good player off top and eventually a great one but I don't see leader in him.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 11:42 AM
So you are saying you see leader in D'Angelo? I think D'Angelo is a good player too off top but I think Okafor just may be better but if the Lakers pass on Okafor I think they could regret it

2-ONE-5
06-25-2015, 11:46 AM
we need a draft thread for this stuff. we literally have reports in Philly saying Russell will be our pick today

Wade n Fade
06-25-2015, 11:47 AM
I think the Lakers are keen on a Rondo, Kobe, Cousins core tbh. I rather have Clarkson, Kobe, Anderson, Randle, and Okafor as a starting 5 if I were the Lakers imo since it gives them time to see what Kobe has while having a bright future. Randle and Okafor is a terrific tandem that could work really well.

TheIlladelph16
06-25-2015, 11:51 AM
I think some fans are crazy thinking Philly would trade LA their 1st back to move up one spot to take Russell. I think Hinkie would be very happy to take Okafor and have a stable of talented big men or hold him for a ransom to another team for picks and assets.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Russell if he goes to LA then I wonder if he and Randle will be able to play together? Because Kobe I mean he is going to be in his last season before hanging it up and as soon as Kobe is done then the Lakers are going to have to go through a rebuild essentially and I say that their rebuild looks pretty good especially with Randle but then with Russell the future looks good

PurpleJesus
06-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Lakers should draft Towns but he will go #1 so best option would be Okafor

refreshing take.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 12:06 PM
And Lakers are trying to make a deal with the 76ers but that's not going to happen

Aust
06-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Would be funny if Philly took the bait

TylerSL
06-25-2015, 12:28 PM
I have been saying since April that Russell is the best player in this draft and since the lottery I've said the Lakers should grab him at #2. I never really believed they would because I didn't think they could pass on Okafor, but all along I've been saying for the Lakers to grab Russell and search the free agent market or trade for a big man. Their free agency/trade options at the PF/C positions are endless compared to their options at PG. So take Russell, not only because he's the better player, but because he fills a more scarce need.

Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, and to a lesser extent Greg Monroe, and Paul Millsap will all be available this summer. On top of all that DaMarcus Cousins is a possibility through trade (though to acquire him they would have to give up on Russell or Okafor). So Russell, at least to me, is the obvious choice for the Lakers because he's truly the best player in the draft, and the Lakers would be set in a prime position to fill their two biggest holes in the same offseason (PG and post presence).

On top of it all it also gives Kobe something to play for in his final season, which he absolutely deserves. Don't tell me they couldn't put a competitive team on the court because of his contract when they didn't even try to bring Pau Gasol back. Say what you will, I believe hiring Mike D'Antoni is part of the reason Kobe's been injured these last couple years. Making a 34/35 year old Kobe play at that pace ruined him. He might have ended up going down these last two years anyway, but D'Antoni played a part in that. On top of that, they hired D'Antoni over Phil Jackson which hasn't worked out for anybody right now, ask the Knicks. I'm not saying they would win titles, but mid 20 win seasons? Come on now, this is the Los Angeles Lakers and they shouldn't have to be reminded that they are the greatest NBA Franchise in the history of this league. It's just insulting what they've produced over the last two years, and the Lakers have been completely irrelevant for three years now (remember Nash/Kobe/Gasol/Dwight?). Drafting Russell and scouring the market for a post player in free agency will go a long way towards righting these wrongs, and D'Angelo Russell is clearly the better person to take the Lakers into the post Kobe Bryant era.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-25-2015, 12:31 PM
I have been saying since April that Russell is the best player in this draft and since the lottery I've said the Lakers should grab him at #2. I never really believed they would because I didn't think they could pass on Okafor, but all along I've been saying for the Lakers to grab Russell and search the free agent market or trade for a big man. Their free agency/trade options at the PF/C positions are endless compared to their options at PG. So take Russell, not only because he's the better player, but because he fills a more scarce need.

Marc Gasol, DeAndre Jordan, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, and to a lesser extent Greg Monroe, and Paul Millsap will all be available this summer. On top of all that DaMarcus Cousins is a possibility through trade (though to acquire him they would have to give up on Russell or Okafor). So Russell, at least to me, is the obvious choice for the Lakers because he's truly the best player in the draft, and the Lakers would be set in a prime position to fill their two biggest holes in the same offseason (PG and post presence).

On top of it all it also gives Kobe something to play for in his final season, which he absolutely deserves. Don't tell me they couldn't put a competitive team on the court because of his contract when they didn't even try to bring Pau Gasol back. I'm not saying they would win titles, but mid 20 win seasons? Come on now, this is the Los Angeles Lakers and they shouldn't have to be reminded that they are the greatest NBA Franchise in the history of this league. It's just insulting what they've produced over the last two years, and the Lakers have been completely irrelevant for three years now (remember Nash/Kobe/Gasol/Dwight?). Drafting Russell and scouring the market for a post player in free agency will go a long way towards righting these wrongs, and D'Angelo Russell is clearly the better person to take the Lakers into the post Kobe Bryant era.

I dont know what happened but you have become a pretty good poster lol

Tg11
06-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Lakers should draft Okafor but will they? I think Russell if he doesn't go #2 then he will definitely go #3 to the Sixers but then cue the trade but where will Russell be traded to?

Teeboy1487
06-25-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm not against this. I just don't want the Lakers to trade the number 2 pick.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 12:39 PM
And the Lakers shouldn't trade their #2 pick because that #2 pick could become an all star and whoever you guys draft could play with Randle but also with that veteran presence in Kobe to boot then Lakers could have a successful rebuild as soon as Kobe retires

Tony_Starks
06-25-2015, 12:42 PM

On top of it all it also gives Kobe something to play for in his final season, which he absolutely deserves. Don't tell me they couldn't put a competitive team on the court because of his contract when they didn't even try to bring Pau Gasol back. Say what you will, I believe hiring Mike D'Antoni is part of the reason Kobe's been injured these last couple years. Making a 34/35 year old Kobe play at that pace ruined him. He might have ended up going down these last two years anyway, but D'Antoni played a part in that. On top of that, they hired D'Antoni over Phil Jackson which hasn't worked out for anybody right now, ask the Knicks. I'm not saying they would win titles, but mid 20 win seasons? Come on now, this is the Los Angeles Lakers and they shouldn't have to be reminded that they are the greatest NBA Franchise in the history of this league. It's just insulting what they've produced over the last two years, and the Lakers have been completely irrelevant for three years now (remember Nash/Kobe/Gasol/Dwight?). Drafting Russell and scouring the market for a post player in free agency will go a long way towards righting these wrongs, and D'Angelo Russell is clearly the better person to take the Lakers into the post Kobe Bryant era.

gospel right here boy!

*daps*

2-ONE-5
06-25-2015, 12:49 PM
problem is what happens if/when the Lakers strike out on these bigs? Forget that I want Russell in Philly, there is no way im letting Love, Monroe, LMA, or Lopez keep me from drafting Okafor if im the Lakers.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 12:53 PM
But will Russell be drafted to the Sixers? If that happens then I say Philadelphia's future is really bright but Lakers will go with Okafor I just know it

LakersIn5
06-25-2015, 12:57 PM
id want the lakers to draft okafor but i guess i dont mind them taking russell instead then sign marc, love or aldridge or even deandre. But id still prefer okafor.

Tony_Starks
06-25-2015, 01:18 PM
problem is what happens if/when the Lakers strike out on these bigs? Forget that I want Russell in Philly, there is no way im letting Love, Monroe, LMA, or Lopez keep me from drafting Okafor if im the Lakers.

You're forgetting worse case scenario we still have a rookie Randle, so if we get Russell we would essentially be plugging in him AND a lotto Big.

Not a bad safety net if they miss out on all the FA bigs, which seems unlikely.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Yes if Lakers do miss out on the bigs then they can have a great future regardless especially with Randle and Russell

PraiseJesus
06-25-2015, 01:27 PM
IF this is true it will fell like christmas to me today

PraiseJesus
06-25-2015, 01:52 PM
DLO has Laker written all over him!!!

kobebabe
06-25-2015, 02:13 PM
I am with you on this one. I feel Russell is the best Player to be had in this draft. We draft him we will never regret it. We miss on him we will be saying what if for a long time. Not that I think Okafor assuming Towns will be a wolf) is bad but just think Russell will be great

Bostonjorge
06-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Russell has to many weaknesses. Can't jump, can't finish, easily shut down and not elite on offense or defense. He is a elite shooter but that's it. Russell will be a good role player at best.

Seems fake to me anyways. Okafor is going second and going to be the best player in this draft easily.

TylerSL
06-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Russell has to many weaknesses. Can't jump, can't finish, easily shut down and not elite on offense or defense. He is a elite shooter but that's it. Russell will be a good role player at best.

Seems fake to me anyways. Okafor is going second and going to be the best player in this draft easily.

He is ball dominant and a terrific passer. What you are saying about Russell is what a lot people said about Stephen Curry when he was coming up "he can only shoot". He's an elite shooter, elite passer, elite ball-handler, capable defender, and good leader. Lakers would have a star.

2-ONE-5
06-25-2015, 02:32 PM

his vert is 40 dude

2-ONE-5
06-25-2015, 02:44 PM
not that i ever thought otherwise but Woj just said the La/Russ interest is a smokescreen.

Aust
06-25-2015, 02:57 PM
not that i ever thought otherwise but Woj just said the La/Russ interest is a smokescreen.

Pretty obv IMO

Stunner
06-25-2015, 03:18 PM
@PompeyOnSixers: .@Mike_Bresnahan reports that #Lakers are leaning toward taking Jahlil Okafor after all.

PraiseJesus
06-25-2015, 03:40 PM
He is ball dominant and a terrific passer. What you are saying about Russell is what a lot people said about Stephen Curry when he was coming up "he can only shoot". He's an elite shooter, elite passer, elite ball-handler, capable defender, and good leader. Lakers would have a star.

Yes

Bruno
06-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Personally, I don't think it's a smoke screen. I think the Lakers would be thrilled to develop either Russell or Okafor, and no matter what happens its a great day for the Lakers.

Now if Phili wants to trade the Lakers back next years top three protected first with Okafor for Russell, I'm sure there will be a legitimate discussion. If not the Lakers might happily selected Russell and let Phili resolve their big man cluster **** on their own time.

I think both guys will be quality NBA players.

da ThRONe
06-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Makes sense Russell is on par with Oakfor as a prospect. Especially if they think they can sign Aldridge

*Silver&Black*
06-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Russell + Love/LMA + Randle >>>>>>>> Okafor + Clarkson + Randle

ThePlayoffs
06-25-2015, 06:50 PM
They're taking Russel because they expect to get cousins love or aldridge

More-Than-Most
06-25-2015, 07:13 PM
For the love of god no... NOOOOOO... Please take OKA so philly cant **** this up

More-Than-Most
06-25-2015, 07:13 PM
They're taking Russel because they expect to get cousins love or aldridge

they will then have stolen the best player in the draft and dodged the OKA bullet

Stunner
06-25-2015, 07:24 PM
Russ :)

Tony_Starks
06-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Yyyyyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah man!!!!

PowerHouse
06-25-2015, 07:51 PM
What the **** are the Lakers doing?:facepalm:

LA_Raiders
06-25-2015, 08:11 PM
I hope so...

MonroeFAN
06-25-2015, 08:14 PM
^wat?

Tg11
06-25-2015, 08:14 PM
You Laker fans must be happy because with D'Angelo Russell you guys have a pretty great pick

Teeboy1487
06-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Wasn't my first choice but man I love this pick.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 08:19 PM
You Laker fans should love this pick because now the Lakers' future looks really bright considering you guys could have drafted Okafor but instead you guys passed on Okafor but I bet you guys must be kicking yourselves for that

magic0320
06-25-2015, 09:41 PM
So how good do you guys think Russell will be?

TylerSL
06-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Russell awesome pick. Great for the Lakers. They got the best player in this draft and a new franchise centerpiece. It took courage to take him over Okafor, but I really don't think they'll regret it. Awesome pick, awesome draft.

GREATNESS ONE
06-26-2015, 12:47 AM
For the love of god no... NOOOOOO... Please take OKA so philly cant **** this up

2 years from now, you'll be wearing a Okafor jersey. He's that good.

Bostonjorge
06-26-2015, 01:11 AM
I guess we will have to wait for the season to start to see if lakers made the right choice here.

PraiseJesus
06-26-2015, 01:17 AM
So how good do you guys think Russell will be?

He's going to be a triple double threat from day 1 and make all of his teammates better

magic0320
06-26-2015, 02:26 PM
I was going for okafor but now I keep looking at him. I start to really like him everything looks so easy to him in college.

2-ONE-5
06-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Lakers messed up some here. Okafor was the best player in the draft and they passed, Sixers buyist aside for the obvious Russ fit, this is a move they will regret probably from day 1 of this season. Okafor was perfect for this team for the present and future.