PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who thinks Mudiay is going to be a stud?

mudvayne387
06-25-2015, 08:35 AM
I think Emmanuel Mudiay is going to end up being the best player in the draft. Some will point to his poor outside shooting but those who have watched him play seem to think it's a matter or minor adjustments.

Larry Brown said that Mudiay was the best leader he has ever seen on the court. His work ethic is second to none in this years draft and his harsh upbringing and rough go of life early on should have him battle tested.

For those who think he went to China to take the easy way out, you could not be more wrong. He made the decision to play overseas because he could not stand to see his mother suffer in poverty any longer. He was also set to be ineligible for the first half of the NCAA season because the high school he went to was essentially a scam. Once he was injured in China, he had every opportunity to return home and wait for the draft. Instead he stuck it out for the two months and supported his teammates. Says a lot about the kid IMO.

The more I learn about this kid the more I think he will be an absolute stud for many years to come in the NBA. Does anyone else feel the same ?

PhillyFaninLA
06-25-2015, 08:40 AM
I haven't seen him play, aside from some highlights....I won't call someone a stud that I haven't seen decision making, foot work, etc....

tredigs
06-25-2015, 09:19 AM
He's projected as a top 5 pick in a draft that has ~7 guys who scouts/fans deem as potential superstars, so no, you're not the only one. It's just tough to know too much about the guys in the international/1-done era of hoops. He's obviously a stud though.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-25-2015, 09:56 AM
I've watched a few draft express videos. Obviously not enough to fully evaluate someone, but at least its something. I like them because they arent just highlights, they point out his shortcomings as well.

I like him a lot. His shooting is bad, but if that can be learned, I think the sky is the limit. Obviously he'll never be Steph Curry shooting the rock, but if he can improve enough to keep the defense honest he'll have a good career.

He's tall, athletic, and a damn good finisher. He's a willing and decent passer, who can force it a bit too much at times, but he isnt a ballhog, which is nice.

Solid defender. From what I've watched he can fall asleep (not often) and get beat backdoor, but tons of guys do.

Overall I like him. If Okafor/Towns/Russell are all gone, I'd be pumped if the Knicks took him at 4.

mudvayne387
06-25-2015, 10:13 AM
I've watched a few draft express videos. Obviously not enough to fully evaluate someone, but at least its something. I like them because they arent just highlights, they point out his shortcomings as well.

I like him a lot. His shooting is bad, but if that can be learned, I think the sky is the limit. Obviously he'll never be Steph Curry shooting the rock, but if he can improve enough to keep the defense honest he'll have a good career.

He's tall, athletic, and a damn good finisher. He's a willing and decent passer, who can force it a bit too much at times, but he isnt a ballhog, which is nice.

Solid defender. From what I've watched he can fall asleep (not often) and get beat backdoor, but tons of guys do.

Overall I like him. If Okafor/Towns/Russell are all gone, I'd be pumped if the Knicks took him at 4.

I agree with everything you said.

I don't say this lightly, but I think Mudiay can be Russell Westbrook 2.0.

Coming out of college the knock on Westbrook was his shooting ability. The playmaking, intelligence, and drive was all there. His first year at UCLA he shot 57% from the line. His shooting percentage overall was fine but the bulk of his points came from driving to the basket and in transition. I just see a ton of similarities in their games and quite honestly Mudiay is taller and arguably just as explosive.

Westbrook was also drafted 4th overall ...

mudvayne387
06-25-2015, 10:14 AM
I haven't seen him play, aside from some highlights....I won't call someone a stud that I haven't seen decision making, foot work, etc....

That is why you have to rely on the people who have seen him play. Not reporters but scouts and coaches.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-25-2015, 10:57 AM
I hate that he can't shoot, but realistically if he gets past the Knicks at #4, he becomes a pretty good value pick.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 12:10 PM
I think he could be a real steal in this draft depending on wherever he ends up

JWO35
06-25-2015, 12:14 PM
I see some early John Wall in Mudiay. Athletic, solid passer, can get to the rim, not that good of a shooter...

Wade n Fade
06-25-2015, 12:15 PM
I say he's one of the surer things in the draft. He has an elite PG skillset. Teams are so concerned about Porzingas, Hezonja, Russell, and the two bigs at the top of the draft. While a lot of teams fight for the cream of the draft, the teams that do their hw can really find good value. Justin Anderson is a great fit at the three for any of those teams that typically do their hw.

Mudi is a player that can run the offense for many teams. A John Wall caliber player at a lower spot in the draft is a steal considering John Wall went first overall years ago.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Yes Mudiay is top 5 but will he slip down to like 6 or 7 or somewhere there?

mudvayne387
06-25-2015, 12:20 PM
I say he's one of the surer things in the draft. He has an elite PG skillset. Teams are so concerned about Porzingas, Hezonja, Russell, and the two bigs at the top of the draft. While a lot of teams fight for the cream of the draft, the teams that do their hw can really find good value. Justin Anderson is a great fit at the three for any of those teams that typically do their hw.

Mudi is a player that can run the offense for many teams. A John Wall caliber player at a lower spot in the draft is a steal considering John Wall went first overall years ago.

That is the thing. I may be old school, but I'd prefer my PG to be able to facilitate an offense. If his shooting improves to even average, he will be a 20/8/5 guy in the league. He should have no problems getting to the rim at the next level. His vision is already above average and his ball handling ability (although turnover prone) is the best in the draft.

Had he not gone to China, he would be #1 or 2 overall and I firmly believe that.

STRIKERC
06-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Sam Hinkie (Sixer's GM) was one of, if not the only GM to travel to China to go see his games. I think he's in play for Philly. I've heard rumors that he actually prefers him to Russell. I will not be surprised if Sixer's trade down and grabs him.
Everyone is in love with Russell because of what we witnessed the last few Finals but GM's like Hinkie think future, not the present.

Aust
06-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I haven't heard him getting much love lately. Wonder who drafts him.

mudvayne387
Yes Mudiay is top 5 but will he slip down to like 6 or 7 or somewhere there?

I don't know, but I think the Knicks will be kicking themselves for not taking him at 4. He can be the leader of the team and let Anthony do what he does best and score.

ManRam
I love Mudiay, and I'd love him more if he had a more trust-worthy shot and if my favorite team didn't already have two guards with pretty similar strengths and weaknesses.

I really hope either Philly or NYK take him. That means that Russell or more likely Porzingis falls to the Magic.

Tg11
06-25-2015, 12:28 PM
I don't know, but I think the Knicks will be kicking themselves for not taking him at 4. He can be the leader of the team and let Anthony do what he does best and score.

I whole-heartedly agree with you especially if the Knicks don't take him because I think he could do a lot for their franchise but also I think Knicks they really want to go after Winslowe or Porzingas

mudvayne387
06-25-2015, 01:31 PM
I whole-heartedly agree with you especially if the Knicks don't take him because I think he could do a lot for their franchise but also I think Knicks they really want to go after Winslowe or Porzingas

It's almost comical that we Knick fans were jumping with joy when Jackson took over. Now because of his system, arguably the best prospect in the draft could be overlooked because he is not a lights out shooter. I hope I am wrong, but I see the Knicks trading back a few spots and taking Kamisky or WCS.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-25-2015, 03:12 PM
I seen first video on youtube of him first game in China. Looked horrible. Throwing the ball away, Turnovers and missed jump shots near free throw line and missed a few layups. I wouldn't even call it a highlight reel. I'm sure he improved since then but still. Worried about that Bucks rumor trading up for #6.

Jarvo
06-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Next John Wall if he can shot better

ewing
06-25-2015, 05:38 PM
dude got a handle i don't care if he cant shoot

https://vine.co/v/MZmwQn02lDu

Bruno
06-25-2015, 05:42 PM
His basement is Tyreke Evans, and I like the John Wall comparison as some form of a ceiling. Watch him do well in his first year with a poor team, where his lack of shooting isn't as drastic a problem. Whoever drafts him would be smart to trade him after year one, and flirting with ROY, imo. If you believe his jumper can be fixed? Develop and build around the guy.