ImThatDude
06-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Richard Cho

SportsFanatic10
06-24-2015, 07:14 PM
wow...good move by the hornets.

InRoseWeTrust
06-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Like it for the Hornets...they obviously scored the best player in the deal. Obviously there's some stuff to read into here...

gatkins11
06-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Like it for the Hornets...they obviously scored the best player in the deal. Obviously there's some stuff to read into here...

LMA gone. Lol.

InRoseWeTrust
06-24-2015, 07:21 PM
LMA gone. Lol.

You read into me reading into the trade.

lilchuckdoubles
06-24-2015, 07:23 PM
por could have got more imo. pissed flip didnt push for him

ManRam
06-24-2015, 07:26 PM
I don't think this directly means anything re: LMA.

Batum's contract expires after this year and I'm sure that plays a role into this. Also, he was pretty BAD last year. Vonleh might still have a future in this league, so only time will tell. But he's just a backup right now so, again, I don't think it means they're sure LMA is leaving.

And again, Batum was really bad last year.

Jtirado16
06-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Batum helps them with their offense hugely. That's huge for them. Hornets win trade by a lot.

*Silver&Black*
06-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Batum/MKG are a nice wing combo. They should draft WCS.

TylerSL
06-24-2015, 07:34 PM
Good pickup for Charlotte. I expect Kaminsky to be the pick tomorrow night so a starting lineup of Walker/Batum/Kidd-Gilchrist/Kaminsky/Jefferson. A couple role players and that team could make an interesting first round match up in the Eastern Conference.

shep33
06-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Hornets just got Jeremy Lamb as well... according to Rick Bonnell

flea
06-24-2015, 07:37 PM

Batum's contract expires after this year and I'm sure that plays a role into this. Also, he was pretty BAD last year. Vonleh might still have a future in this league, so only time will tell. But he's just a backup right now so, again, I don't think it means they're sure LMA is leaving.

He was bad offensively last year. But he's always been a streaky shooter. I think in the right system he could be better with off-ball movement and some mid-range looks.

Defensively he was very good - among forward defenders I think you're talking Leonard, Batum, Tony Allen, and then everyone else. Shumpert, Butler, and Danny Green are good, but mostly deal with 1s and 2s. Batum can legitimately handle 2-4 and proved it last year. Portland's defense is really going to suffer without him - IMO Matthews was always a bit overrated even before the achilles, LMA is average at best, and Lopez is good but not great. Batum was the best defender on that team, and it was a very good defensive team in the regular season.

SportsFanatic10
06-24-2015, 07:38 PM

Looks like you're right...

Woj latest tweet:
Sources: Blazers didn't make deal as first step of rebuilding. Aldridge was aware of trade, and Blazers did deal independent of free agency.

ManRam
06-24-2015, 07:42 PM
He was bad offensively last year. But he's always been a streaky shooter. I think in the right system he could be better with off-ball movement and some mid-range looks.

Defensively he was very good - among forward defenders I think you're talking Leonard, Batum, Tony Allen, and then everyone else. Shumpert, Butler, and Danny Green are good, but mostly deal with 1s and 2s. Batum can legitimately handle 2-4 and proved it last year. Portland's defense is really going to suffer without him - IMO Matthews was always a bit overrated even before the achilles, LMA is average at best, and Lopez is good but not great. Batum was the best defender on that team, and it was a very good defensive team in the regular season.

You left someone off your list.

Probably might be worth mentioning that Charlotte already has an ELITE defender at the SF position. A guy who is undoubtedly a better defender than Batum.

He'll help offensively too, and is a nice Lance replacement, but honestly, how much better of an offensive player was he last year than Hendo was? I get that he had some injuries, but who's to say we definitely see the old Batum again next year? I'm not certain.

It's a good get for Charlotte. He'll help in the short term if he can at least bounce back a little. I just understand it from POR's perspective too. That's all. They probably realized they weren't keeping him long term. They got two guys who can potentially help with their chronic depth issues. And if everything does go to **** and they start to "rebuild", well, they have a nice prospect now.

tredigs
06-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Means they're aiming for 2 maxes. Batum's a very good piece though, definitely going to hurt them this year if they swing and miss.

matt800
06-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Looks like a questionable trade for Portland to me, but maybe they are trying to free up cap space?

Batum had a bad year but I wouldn't be surprised if he played like a fringe all star next year to redeem himself and to get a good contract. In his exit interview he looked sincerely motivated to play better than he ever had before next year--something I haven't seen from him before.

Maybe LMA didn't like him. That could be another reason for this.

Getting a young cheap guy with potential is a decent idea, and also getting another wing if we want to let Matthews go is a decent idea. Although Henderson doesn't seem to be a shooter which seems like an odd fit. Maybe he won't be staying?

flea
06-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Yeah Iggy, I realized that after I posted it. Anyway, assuming they're going to either play MKG at the 4 or find some McRoberts clone I think it won't hurt their offense much (which was terrible last year anyway). Henderson is underrated as a scorer but he is not a very good shooter either and didn't really work in post-oriented offense.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to built an offense around Jefferson but you need to do what they're doing: put 2 good defenders in the frontcourt with him and get some guards that can shoot. Even Kemba isn't that great of a shooter so a lot is going to depend on who they get to open things up. Seems like almost every lineup these days requires someone like Kyle Korver just to function properly - regardless of whether it's a post offense, p&r offense, or ISO offense.

IBleedPurple
06-24-2015, 08:13 PM
I feel like POR got ripped off, not that I'm mad about that. Doubt I'm alone in thinking they could've done better.

TrueFan420
06-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Yeah Iggy, I realized that after I posted it. Anyway, assuming they're going to either play MKG at the 4 or find some McRoberts clone I think it won't hurt their offense much (which was terrible last year anyway). Henderson is underrated as a scorer but he is not a very good shooter either and didn't really work in post-oriented offense.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to built an offense around Jefferson but you need to do what they're doing: put 2 good defenders in the frontcourt with him and get some guards that can shoot. Even Kemba isn't that great of a shooter so a lot is going to depend on who they get to open things up. Seems like almost every lineup these days requires someone like Kyle Korver just to function properly - regardless of whether it's a post offense, p&r offense, or ISO offense.

You forgot iggy but you also forgot dray green as well he can do it all defensively

mightybosstone
06-24-2015, 08:29 PM
I also like this for Charlotte, but Batum is an average starting wing at this point and is coming off his worst season since his rookie year. If you're Portland, your goal should still ultimately be keeping Aldridge and/or Matthews, who are both superior basketball players. If this helps them accomplish that, then it was a smart deal.

Chronz
06-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Batum was like mini-Iggy for them in terms of creating for others but hes not exactly a good offensive player. Henderson has improved every year and gives them a solid 2-way player. I like this more for Portland.

tredigs
06-24-2015, 09:02 PM
^Not with you on Henderson. Definition of middling player who doesn't bring an elite skill at anything. He has confidence, but nothing about his game strikes me as a winning piece.

ManRam
06-24-2015, 09:08 PM
^Not with you on Henderson. Definition of middling player who doesn't bring an elite skill at anything. He has confidence, but nothing about his game strikes me as a winning piece.

He's nothing special, but at the very least he's no worse than what they got out of Afflalo and McCollum last year.

I'm not naming a winner of this trade yet, and there's really no reason too. It hinges on how well Batum bounces back and what happens with LMA. If LMA leaves, I like the move regardless of how well Batum plays. If not, well, hopefully for POR's sake Batum doesn't bounce back.

tredigs
06-24-2015, 09:22 PM
He's nothing special, but at the very least he's no worse than what they got out of Afflalo and McCollum last year.

I'm not naming a winner of this trade yet, and there's really no reason too. It hinges on how well Batum bounces back and what happens with LMA. If LMA leaves, I like the move regardless of how well Batum plays. If not, well, hopefully for POR's sake Batum doesn't bounce back.

Yeah, pretty much echoes my thoughts on the deal as well. I get why both teams did it, for sure.

nyknicks1969
06-24-2015, 09:26 PM
Batum is over rated.

Getting Lamb is a good thing for CHA.

Henderson would look good in the triangle in NY. Afflalo too.

Patriotsfan97
06-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Charlotte got the best end of this deal. Got Lamb out of the deal as well. Have a feeling MKG is going to have a great year as well. I do feel bad for Vonleh though. I never saw the hype with him and why he got drafted so high, but giving up on him so early is odd. Hopefully he produces in Portland.

valade16
06-24-2015, 10:30 PM
It seems like we did this to have enough space to sign 2 max FAs, but besides LMA, what other max-level FAs are even available?

mgomrjsurf
06-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Dario G. From Nuggets with Zeller,Hornets pick,Barnes to nuggets?

tredigs
06-25-2015, 12:07 AM
It seems like we did this to have enough space to sign 2 max FAs, but besides LMA, what other max-level FAs are even available?
It's for sure why they did it.

LMA, Love, Wade, DAJ, Dragic, Monroe, Marc Gasol anddd Lebron.

thesprite
06-25-2015, 12:07 AM
I like this trade for Charlotte. Batum might be coming from a subpar season, but the new start will help a lot.

limebalz05
06-25-2015, 08:46 AM
LMA began the decline as he's turning 30 next month. He has been spending less time in the paint and driving to the basket compared to settling for jump shots. Reminds me of the Rasheed Wallace decline.

As for Batum, his services will be missed. He plays excellent defense and when healthy, gives you 40 minutes on the court. His shot has not progressed like the team has hoped and his ball penetration skills are non existent. He knows how to move well without the ball and is an excellent open court player. His health has been a concern for the last few years.

Blazers know from his first FA that he will go to the HIGHEST bidder. They had to overpay for his services when they were forced to match Wolves offer or lose him.

This will now become Damian Lillards team with majority of the vets gone. They have A LOT of cap space to work with for now or 2016.

Vinylman
06-25-2015, 09:33 AM

He was bad but he did have a pretty bad wrist injury he was dealing with...

ManRam
06-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Have a feeling MKG is going to have a great year as well.

I think Flea missed my point earlier. I was trying to point out how Charlotte already has an elite perimeter defender. MKG is a STUD...better than Batum is, and I don't think it's close. I think he's on the verge of getting the recognition of a top-5 perimeter defender.

We'll see how much of the offensive load Batum can carry. But the Hornets already had their shut-down perimeter defender.

valade16
06-25-2015, 11:25 AM
I think Flea missed my point earlier. I was trying to point out how Charlotte already has an elite perimeter defender. MKG is a STUD...better than Batum is, and I don't think it's close. I think he's on the verge of getting the recognition of a top-5 perimeter defender.

We'll see how much of the offensive load Batum can carry. But the Hornets already had their shut-down perimeter defender.

I suppose you can never have too many perimeter defenders (provided they can do more than just defend, which is the question with a Batum/MKG pairing).