PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan Hoops: D'Angelo Russell apparently is the favorite now according to the FO?

Rocco007
06-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Lakers Like Russell more than Okafor.

With the NBA draft just one day away, GMs are working the phones frantically to explore all avenues of improving their clubs, including trades and creating cap space. The latest news appears to be the Los Angeles Lakers choosing at 2 between Dukeís Jahlil Okafor and Ohio Stateís DíAngelo Russell.

Iím told by sources that the Lakers front office wants Russell over Okafor, and when polled, the majority of the front office supported this position. While GM Mitch Kupchak has the opinions of his scouts, he could still choose Russell, Okafor or continue talking with the Sacramento Kings about trading for All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins

Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/06/24/mock-draft-6-0-cousins-on-the-move-knicks-on-the-outside-looking-in/#FTg7iKPub2h4yZX3.99

I hope this is a smokescreen to make Philly give up the farm to move up...

big70tom
06-24-2015, 06:16 PM
I hope it's a job to get back our no. 1 for next year.

jaydubb
06-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Trying to get 76ers to bite on doing something stupid.. Haha I DEFINITELY wouldn't mind Russell tho

CodeRed
06-24-2015, 06:18 PM
What would they do with Clarkson, if they do draft Russell? Just curious.

PraiseJesus
06-24-2015, 06:18 PM
This is too good to be true

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2015, 06:19 PM
I hope its a smokescreen. Getting Okafor and our pick back for next year would be the best possible outcome, or we can ship Okafor and next year's pick for Cousins and keep Randle if they are intent on trading for him.

PraiseJesus
06-24-2015, 06:21 PM
I hope its a smokescreen. Getting Okafor and our pick back for next year would be the best possible outcome, or we can ship Okafor and next year's pick for Cousins and keep Randle if they are intent on trading for him.

Yea if you don't understand basketball then definitely

Iron24th
06-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Haha just a smokescreen, you guys bite on everything the media is reporting.

shep33
06-24-2015, 06:28 PM
I like Russell, if we can steal something from Philly too... that would be ideal.

The thing with Okafor is that low post bigs don't really win titles anymore. Starting centers for NBA champs the past five years:

Bogut/Draymond
Timmy
Bosh
Bosh
Chandler

Timmy only averaged 15 ppg against the Heat in the Finals too. The thing that scares me is that OAK is not a good defensive player. Now don't get me wrong, he's going to be a good player, but this is a guard's league now.

Russell would be great. Oak + our pick from Philly would be good too

lakeshow12
06-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Good.

Calling it now. Clarkson, Randle, 27, 34, Future Picks for Cousins.

Draft D. Russell

Cousins & Russell is whom we build off of for the future.

Call it a draft.

WiseCounsel
06-24-2015, 06:52 PM
"Cavs will take Alex Len at no 1" June 27, 2013.

The same guy who is reporting this...

Avenged
06-24-2015, 06:58 PM
I don't mind. Just don't trade for Cousins while giving up Randle as well.

Iron24th
06-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Good.

Draft D. Russell

Call it a draft.

That's the only way I could swallow a cousins trade but still prefer drafting Okafor and keep him.

LakerShow
06-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Would not mind, I trust the fo, they are at the workouts and know way more than us. If they think he's the best player in the draft, then whatever.

numba1CHANGsta
06-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Good.

Draft D. Russell

Call it a draft.

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, too bad the Kings won't LOL

I'm actually convinced that Russell is the best player available and we need a PG, Clarkson is not a PG, Russell will be our PG of the future. The negatives to Okafor's game outweighs Russell's, we can always sign a big this offseason.

Russell
Kobe
Harris
Randle
Gasol

Hurricane H
06-24-2015, 07:23 PM
I'm glad all these will be over tomorrow.

championships
06-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Chaz just needs to take Little Jimmy to the bar and get liquored up with 10 other people, Then ask them who they would take.

BOOM

Problem solved

WiseCounsel
06-24-2015, 08:06 PM
I like Russell, if we can steal something from Philly too... that would be ideal.

The thing with Okafor is that low post bigs don't really win titles anymore. Starting centers for NBA champs the past five years:

Bogut/Draymond
Timmy
Bosh
Bosh
Chandler

Timmy only averaged 15 ppg against the Heat in the Finals too. The thing that scares me is that OAK is not a good defensive player. Now don't get me wrong, he's going to be a good player, but this is a guard's league now.

"As much as analytics love Russell, it is also important to recognize that SPM predicts a high probability of him being a bust. Among SPMís top 25 projected players, Russell has the highest bust likelihood, at 40.9 percent."

ESPN online article.

Be very careful Lakers.... If you screw this up with a bust, we could be set back for 10 years...

More-Than-Most
06-24-2015, 08:08 PM
I am scared you guys will take Russ and we will take OKA or we will give you your pick next year at the thought of taking Russ but then we take OKA... I really really really think Russ is gonna be the best from this draft and have OKA my 5th on the board.

shep33
06-24-2015, 08:13 PM
"As much as analytics love Russell, it is also important to recognize that SPM predicts a high probability of him being a bust. Among SPMís top 25 projected players, Russell has the highest bust likelihood, at 40.9 percent."

ESPN online article.

Be very careful Lakers.... If you screw this up with a bust, we could be set back for 10 years...

True, it's a bigger risk taking Russell, but potentially he can be a top 5 player in the NBA. I like OAK, just don't think he'll ever be that good.

numba1CHANGsta
06-24-2015, 08:18 PM
True, it's a bigger risk taking Russell, but potentially he can be a top 5 player in the NBA. I like OAK, just don't think he'll ever be that good.

It's not like whoever we draft will be a franchise type of player, thats why we should trade it for a proven big

STRIKERC
06-24-2015, 08:28 PM

Bogut/Draymond
Timmy
Bosh
Bosh
Chandler

Don't be a prisoner of the moment. Yes, the NBA is a guards league now but look carefully at what's happening. Many are predicting Anthony Davis will be the best player in the game in a few years. Then you have some really good big men coming into the league the past few years including this year.
The days of big men dominating the league is coming around in full circle.

SirSkyHook
06-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Don't be a prisoner of the moment. Yes, the NBA is a guards league now but look carefully at what's happening. Many are predicting Anthony Davis will be the best player in the game in a few years. Then you have some really good big men coming into the league the past few years including this year.

This! Good to know there are other watching the turn of the big man tide

shep33
06-24-2015, 08:50 PM

Anthony Davis is so unlike Okafor who will never be that good. Their game are completely different cause Davis is an amazing mid range shooter and really doesn't score a majority of his points off of post moves.

NBA is a more perimeter oriented game right now.

I'm not saying Okafor is going to be a bust or I don't want him, I'm just saying Russell can be the best player in this draft by a wide margin.

STRIKERC
06-24-2015, 08:55 PM
It's funny how people continue minimize the impact Tim Duncan has had on San Antonio's dynasty. If you have a star big man and a very good pg you're set to go places. The game is changing right before our eyes, people.
These big boys coming into the league now are super talented. These are not just athletes running down the court and finishing dunks ala Dwight, Jordan.

Gene2420
06-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Okafor not in the meta. GG.

McAllen Tx
06-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Good.

Draft D. Russell

Call it a draft.

More like #2, Clarkson & #27 for Cousins

shep33
06-24-2015, 09:05 PM
It's funny how people continue minimize the impact Tim Duncan has had on San Antonio's dynasty. If you have a star big man and a very good pg you're set to go places. The game is changing right before our eyes, people.
These big boys coming into the league now are super talented. These are not just athletes running down the court and finishing dunks ala Dwight, Jordan.

Yeah, but Timmy is an elite defender. I like OAK, but he isn't very good on that end. Can't shoot FT's either, but he's still going to be a very good player.

Aust
06-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Definitely a smokescreen. Could mean that talks with Sac went south, if those talks were ever serious to begin with. This gives me a vibe that Jahil is our guy.

The whole trading "future picks" thing needs to stop. Our first rounders over the next 2 years don't belong to us in case you guys forgot. I don't want to give away even more.

D Blue987
06-24-2015, 09:36 PM
I am scared you guys will take Russ and we will take OKA or we will give you your pick next year at the thought of taking Russ but then we take OKA... I really really really think Russ is gonna be the best from this draft and have OKA my 5th on the board.

Nobody really really really cares what you really really really think. Lakers draft Okafor. End of story. Future HOF. I mean that...really. really really.

magic0320
06-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Rather mold big and try super star free agents next two years like durant/westbrook than cousins. also I want to see randel/okafor combo they both have good footwork I think it will be hard to stop them if they live up to their potential.

PraiseJesus
06-24-2015, 09:55 PM
Okafor can't hit free throws

If I'm the other team I foul him every time he touches the ball

Since he can't play defense he is rendered completely useless and is actually a huge liability

numba1CHANGsta
06-24-2015, 10:21 PM

Since he can't play defense he is rendered completely useless and is actually a huge liability

Like I said before I'm not sold on Okafor, but he can always improve.

More-Than-Most
06-24-2015, 10:36 PM

pretty spot on

More-Than-Most
06-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Like I said before I'm not sold on Okafor, but he can always improve.

His work ethic leaves something to be desired and he looks lost when he actually tries to play defense.. He will never be a good defender.

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2015, 10:40 PM

Completely useless? Lol, exaggerate much?

J4KOP99
06-24-2015, 10:48 PM
His work ethic leaves something to be desired and he looks lost when he actually tries to play defense.. He will never be a good defender.

Im not in the mood to get in a back and forth internet argument with you right now but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I never understood the point of making such ridiculous statements either. He will never be a good defender? 0% chance?

People who say things like that tend to be between the ages of 14-18. Or are so clearly biased that they can't make a well thought out, poignant observation.

superwill
06-24-2015, 10:57 PM
It's cousins or draft Russell whatever Lakers do I'm behind them 100% let's go Lakers

42-15-7
06-24-2015, 11:04 PM

I agree with you that it's important to be able to play good defense. Which is why I found this commentary very interesting:

My issues with him are defensively. He guards with his instincts, thatís it. Heís so creative with his offense, so he knows the game, heís smart. He knows how to defend ó heíll get into the passing lanes, he knows how to dig and recover, he knows rotations. But he canít ****ing guard anything. Heís disinterested.

Obviously you would agree that this is a pretty severe indictment. What's most interesting about it, however, is that it's a scout's opinion of D'Angelo Russell.

grantland.com/the-triangle/ryen-russillos-nba-draft-confidential-real-scouts-on-towns-russell-and-okafor/

Living in Big Ten country as I do, and having watched a lot of Big Ten games last year, and having seen the same thing for myself on multiple occasions, I can't really understand why a person of your obvious intelligence would be so flagrantly in favor of a guard who can't guard.

DillyDill
06-25-2015, 12:12 AM

Wasn't the same things said about Big Cous he wasn't no elite defender at Kentucky. But his free throw shooting is better

PraiseJesus
06-25-2015, 12:20 AM
I agree with you that it's important to be able to play good defense. Which is why I found this commentary very interesting:

Obviously you would agree that this is a pretty severe indictment. What's most interesting about it, however, is that it's a scout's opinion of D'Angelo Russell.

grantland.com/the-triangle/ryen-russillos-nba-draft-confidential-real-scouts-on-towns-russell-and-okafor/

Living in Big Ten country as I do, and having watched a lot of Big Ten games last year, and having seen the same thing for myself on multiple occasions, I can't really understand why a person of your obvious intelligence would be so flagrantly in favor of a guard who can't guard.

Great job taking 1 opinion from 1 scout. I can link you to 100s of articles elaborating on Okafor's defensive defciencies

You failed to see my main point BTW.

Every other POOR FREE THROW SHOOTING CENTER that I have ever known - has been a DOMINANT Defensive player - So it was bearable to have their offense taken away because they are providing defense on the other end

Okafor's offensive game can be completely neutralized with a HACK A SHAQ strategy and then the other team can skip like little red riding hood to the hole at the other end - NOT a great situation in close or meaningful games.

New Power House
06-25-2015, 12:22 AM

He will surprise many people next season.

PraiseJesus
06-25-2015, 12:24 AM
He will surprise many people next season.

Yea hes going to surprise a lot of Okafiles that have been stalking him this offseason

42-15-7
06-25-2015, 12:38 AM
Great job taking 1 opinion from 1 scout. I can link you to 100s of articles elaborating on Okafor's defensive defciencies

Every other POOR FREE THROW SHOOTING CENTER that I have ever known - has been a DOMINANT Defensive player - So it was bearable to have their offense taken away because they are providing defense on the other end

Okafor's offensive game can be completely neutralized with a HACK A SHAQ strategy and then the other team can skip like little red riding hood to the hole at the other end - NOT a great situation in close or meaningful games.

Actually, I cited two sources: the scout, and myself -- and I've watched a lot of basketball.

I also didn't miss your point: you hate Okafor and you're willing to make any argument against him, while simultaneously ignoring the exact same faults in the player you prefer.

That's fine. You love Russell. Just don't pretend you're making a rational argument when you're making a passionate argument.

GREATNESS ONE
06-25-2015, 12:45 AM

If Philly lands Okafor, you will be blessed and wrong about him.

Lakers + Giants
06-25-2015, 12:54 AM
Hack-a-shaq has actually benefited the team getting fouled more often than not. at 50% clip that's still 1ppp, and it allows the team shooting FTs to prepare on D.

So if they want to hack-a-shaq, let em do it. It'll most likely benefit.

PraiseJesus
06-25-2015, 01:00 AM

Actually, I cited two sources: the scout, and myself -- and I've watched a lot of basketball.

I also didn't miss your point: you hate Okafor and you're willing to make any argument against him, while simultaneously ignoring the exact same faults in the player you prefer.

That's fine. You love Russell. Just don't pretend you're making a rational argument when you're making a passionate argument.

I am making a rational argument.

I don't despise Okafor I would just rather have Russell.

I'm actually very impressed with his post he and footwork, it's just he would have to improve in other areas

Lakers + Giants
06-25-2015, 01:34 AM
I am making a rational argument.

I don't despise Okafor I would just rather have Russell.

I'm actually very impressed with his post he and footwork, it's just he would have to improve in other areas

THAT i completely agree with. Russell is better overall now, but Okafor's offensive potential is just too much to pass up imo. Russell could very well end up being in the best player of this draft, but you don't pass up on a big that can score multiple ways like Okafor does.

b-ballistic
06-25-2015, 01:37 AM
I'd take Okafor or Russell. Trading for Cousins would suck unless we got the 6th pick while keeping Randle.

bigboyblu
06-25-2015, 02:03 AM

I don't think it's ignoring just him preferring a sub-par defensive pg to a sub-par defensive center. Rarely have I ever seen a pg who defends well enough to change the offensive strategy of EVERY other player on the court, where as a good defensive center can defend his man, alter shots, and make a guard think twice about driving (see Shaq vs Tony Parker). OAK is impressive offensively but DLO seems like a better fit especially considering the quality big on the market right now.

Not sure about anybody else but I'm giddy like a teenager at a Justin Bieber concert thinking about the crazy no-look passes to a cutting Randle.

cdhjgj
06-25-2015, 11:42 AM
I hope it's a job to get back our no. 1 for next year. http://insuranceautocars.com/insurance/images/42.gif http://alturl.com/kbrbo

stud2885
06-25-2015, 02:08 PM
We all know Okafor was a poor free throw shooter in college, as I recall, so was Blake Griffin. I'm sure I could find 10 other great players that improved significantly in free throw shooting when they went pro. This kid isn't even 20 years old yet, why is everybody hating???

I wouldn't be upset with Russell at 2 but these guys are rookies, chill out on the "Hack-a-shaq" talk, defensive liability, it's all ridiculous. He'll get better in the areas he needs work, he may not be a defensive expert but that's not what he's being brought in for, if he can be an average defender and 70-75% free throw shooter which is not too much to ask once he lives in a gym, this guy WILL be a top 5 center, probably closer to top 3 within 3 years. Mark my words.

stud2885
06-25-2015, 02:11 PM
While we're at it, these people talking about he may not even be 6'10"... what are they smoking?? He was standing right next to KAT and is noticeable taller than KAT who was listed at 6'11"

Aust
06-25-2015, 02:40 PM
We all know Okafor was a poor free throw shooter in college, as I recall, so was Blake Griffin. I'm sure I could find 10 other great players that improved significantly in free throw shooting when they went pro. This kid isn't even 20 years old yet, why is everybody hating???

I wouldn't be upset with Russell at 2 but these guys are rookies, chill out on the "Hack-a-shaq" talk, defensive liability, it's all ridiculous. He'll get better in the areas he needs work, he may not be a defensive expert but that's not what he's being brought in for, if he can be an average defender and 70-75% free throw shooter which is not too much to ask once he lives in a gym, this guy WILL be a top 5 center, probably closer to top 3 within 3 years. Mark my words.

Yep. This guy is competitive, wants to be here, is a hard worker, has a good head on his shoulders and is only freaking 19. He has the footwork, passing ability and offensive touch that is rare for a player, especially at such an age.

Blake Griffin FT% in college:

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

DeMarcus Cousins FT% in college:

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

Marc Gasol career FT% in the Euro league:

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

I could go on and on. It's true that there are other players, like Dwight who aren't success stories. It's dumb to think a player at such a young age can't improve. Heck, I think his defense will end up surprising people. He's lost some weight, is quicker now and is eating much healthier too. He's tired of hearing about the defensive question marks which I hope the media keeps relentlessly hounding him on in order to push him to improve that area.

championships
06-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Yep. This guy is competitive, wants to be here, is a hard worker, has a good head on his shoulders and is only freaking 19. He has the footwork, passing ability and offensive touch that is rare for a player, especially at such an age.

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

I could go on and on. It's true that there are other players, like Dwight who aren't success stories. It's dumb to think a player at such a young age can't improve. Heck, I think his defense will end up surprising people. He's lost some weight, is quicker now and is eating much healthier too. He's tired of hearing about the defensive question marks which I hope the media keeps relentlessly hounding him on in order to push him to improve that area.Okafor .510 is far worse than any of those guys though. He would have to improve tremendously just to average what these guys did in college.

bleedprple&gold
06-25-2015, 04:32 PM

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

His NBA career average:

His last two seasons:

I could go on and on. It's true that there are other players, like Dwight who aren't success stories. It's dumb to think a player at such a young age can't improve. Heck, I think his defense will end up surprising people. He's lost some weight, is quicker now and is eating much healthier too. He's tired of hearing about the defensive question marks which I hope the media keeps relentlessly hounding him on in order to push him to improve that area.

The problem is his freakishly large hands. Large hands can help you in a lot of areas in basketball but free throw shooting is not one of them. I don't think he will ever be great but he can definitely improve. Even 65% would be a big improvement.

Gene2420
06-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Does anyone have a sense of Okafor's work ethic? I hear both sides, that he's dedicated and that he's lazy. Which one is it?!

Aust
06-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Does anyone have a sense of Okafor's work ethic? I hear both sides, that he's dedicated and that he's lazy. Which one is it?!

I've only heard the dedicated one. If the lazy one is an anonymous scout, I'm calling BS.

Shmoo
06-25-2015, 04:46 PM
The problem is his freakishly large hands. Large hands can help you in a lot of areas in basketball but free throw shooting is not one of them. I don't think he will ever be great but he can definitely improve. Even 65% would be a big improvement.

Yea and.. you know what they say about a guy with large hands...how in the world will he ever improve on defense with that elephant trunk between his legs? He can't move laterally. It's slows him down on pick and rolls. Heck maybe v lade will trade for him after all

GREATNESS ONE
06-25-2015, 04:51 PM
^ Lolz this guy.

NFLNBA
06-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Couple things.....

1. If you draft DR them what are you doing with Clarkson?

2. From what I've seen and read DR is awful on defense as well. His lack of athletism and foot speed would have him getting killed by CP3, Irvings, Westbrooks.

3. If you can get Jordan in FA then I have no problem with taking chance on DR. But as of right now we need a BIG. We have nobody, Lmao Sacre? Okafor is actually a NEED for this team.

4. Problem with Okafor is I don't believe he makes a good team with Randle. Both are paint players. The fix....

5. Draft Oak, trade Randle and 2 picks to move up in top 10 and take Mudiay, Winslow, Stanley, or Oubre. SF IMO is our other big need besides a BIG. So I take who front office believes is best SF out of those available. Then sign Love or LA.

Clarkson
Kobe
Winslow/Stanley/or Oubre
LA or Love
Okafor

That's a Damn good team and start to future!

42-15-7
06-25-2015, 05:15 PM

A few days ago there was a run on stories about how Okafor didn't have heart or a work ethic. What's ugly about that accusation is that it's usually aimed at African-American players, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

My gut says it's all noise, and that the truth isn't even somewhere in the middle. The truth is he's 19 years old and still growing into a body about twice the size of a normal human being. I don't see malcontent, I don't see lazy, I just see young.

If he's on the right team (Lakers) I think he grows into the job. On the wrong, team, who knows.

jerellh528
06-25-2015, 05:43 PM
A few days ago there was a run on stories about how Okafor didn't have heart or a work ethic. What's ugly about that accusation is that it's usually aimed at African-American players, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

My gut says it's all noise, and that the truth isn't even somewhere in the middle. The truth is he's 19 years old and still growing into a body about twice the size of a normal human being. I don't see malcontent, I don't see lazy, I just see young.

If he's on the right team (Lakers) I think he grows into the job. On the wrong, team, who knows.

I dont think you have such a dominant and polished post game, footwork, and fundamentals without a great work ethic. His skill set definatley isnt like towns where it's mostly contingent on athleticism.

ohdouger
06-25-2015, 05:45 PM
I truly believe the pick is Okafor. I think the Russell chatter is just to get Philly to pony up our next years 1st rounder to move up to #2. For those concerned with Okafor and Randle working together, I guess Randle has dropped about 20 pounds and has improved his jumper incredibly. So, I think it could work. It is very rare that we get the chance to draft this high, so we better not screw this up. I guess I am ok with Russell or Okafor, but Okafor is more of a "Need" pick. I like Clarkson and think he is going to turn into a good player. Every person in this years draft has some issues including KAT, so it is kind of a hold your breath draft. We have waited a long time for tonight...enjoy the evening boys!

PraiseJesus
06-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Magic has picked DLO!!!!!

‏@MagicJohnson

I like D'Angelo Russell because he can shoot, he's explosive and he makes his teammates better.

PraiseJesus
06-25-2015, 05:47 PM
RoyalG - where is that pic of DLO in a LAkers jersey!!!!!!

Avenged
06-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Magic has picked DLO!!!!!

‏@MagicJohnson

I like D'Angelo Russell because he can shoot, he's explosive and he makes his teammates better.

Control your wetness. Who cares.

Aust
06-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Control your wetness. Who cares.

He's good at that, he can walk on water after all.

kobeonekenobe
06-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Magic said he wanted okafor the other day. He changes his mind more than lebron changes teams