PDA

View Full Version : Top Euroleague PG Plans NBA Return This Summer

SportsFanatic10
06-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Sergio Rodriguez now 29 and apparently a much improved player plans to rejoin the NBA after spending the last 5 seasons overseas. The article states he's receiving considerable interest and is viewed by NBA front offices as an elite level backup PG.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--top-euroleague-point-guard-planning-return-to-nba-185921854.html

So who do you think signs him and for how much? How do you guys view his potential impact this go around in the NBA?

Woj also says that another top Euro guard, Marcelo Huertas plans to enter NBA free agency this summer as well for anyone who knows anything about him.

ewing
06-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Serigo has great eyes but he wasn't an elite backup 3 years ago i don't why he would be now. Dude could be a contributing bench player with the right fit if he can still play but he just lacks on D, from range, and he isn't really a guy that creates tempo. Always liked him and thought he could have done better with a good fit but its been awhile

Gander13SM
06-20-2015, 07:28 AM
I've seen Huertas play. Good ball handler and a decent first step for a 30 year old. Good court vision. Takes a lot of mid range shots. I'm not sure if he will be strong enough to guard some of the bigger PGs in the NBA.

I doubt he'll make any real noise. 3rd string guard for a contender. Maybe an okay 2nd string for a non-contender.

KnicksorBust
06-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Elite backup. Lmao

Rivera
06-20-2015, 08:42 AM
I used to kill it with Sergio in 2k. I had his shot on point

KnickNyKnick
06-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Elite backup. Lmao

:hi5:

SportsFanatic10
06-20-2015, 04:03 PM
Elite backup. Lmao

I know he didn't do much when he was in the league previously, and I haven't watching him play at all. But it is possible after 5 years overseas that he has improved. Woj says that NBA front offices are saying that so I guess we'll see. Either way he's got an elite beard lol, might even challenge Harden with that.

SportsFanatic10
06-20-2015, 04:05 PM
I've seen Huertas play. Good ball handler and a decent first step for a 30 year old. Good court vision. Takes a lot of mid range shots. I'm not sure if he will be strong enough to guard some of the bigger PGs in the NBA.

I doubt he'll make any real noise. 3rd string guard for a contender. Maybe an okay 2nd string for a non-contender.

Interesting...thanks for the input, I'd never heard of him before I read that article yesterday. I was hoping for some posters who have paid attention to euroleague to chime in.

leprechaun5
06-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Both are better Euroleague players than Prigioni, but Prigioni contributes more to an NBA game than those two. I don't see any of them being a solid contributor on a contending team (Rodriguez lacks shooting and defense while Marcelinho is very slow for an NBA game). Sergio Llull though is a different story. I can see him being a very good scorer coming from the bench.

Cal827
06-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Elite backup. Lmao

Yeah, didn't think that these would go together.

Who are the "Elite Backups" in the NBA right now?

Gander13SM
06-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Both are better Euroleague players than Prigioni, but Prigioni contributes more to an NBA game than those two. I don't see any of them being a solid contributor on a contending team (Rodriguez lacks shooting and defense while Marcelinho is very slow for an NBA game). Sergio Llull though is a different story. I can see him being a very good scorer coming from the bench.

I can see Huertas being a sort of Andre Miller, not quite as good defensively but better offensively.

Don't expect much from either.

Shady66
06-21-2015, 11:28 AM
I loved that blazers team with sergio and Rudy Fernandez

Corey
06-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Yeah, didn't think that these would go together.

Who are the "Elite Backups" in the NBA right now?

Isaiah Thomas, Taj Gibson, Manu, Jarrett Jack, Mo Williams, Jodie Meeks, one of Gallo/Chandler, Livingston is up there, Ezeli is in the discussion, Crawford, Koufos, OJ Mayo, Ryan Anderson...

There's a lot of starter quality players that are coming off the bench, but are better suited for the primary backup role.

TrueFan420
06-21-2015, 11:43 AM
I loved that blazers team with sergio and Rudy Fernandez

Rudy was someone I thought had what it takes but never seemed to find the right situation. Dude got jobbed hard in the slam dunk contest.

Scoots
06-21-2015, 12:10 PM
The Warriors "elite backup pg" was, I think, a key to the Warriors keeping Curry healthy all year. Having Livingston, Iguodala, Curry, and even Green bring the ball up court and start the offense regularly along with giving Curry so many 4th quarters off paid off in Curry being 100% through the playoffs while other PGs were breaking down. Look at the last quarter of the season and the playoffs for the other PGs and how their games fell off ... Lowry, Wall, Teague, Beverly, Conley, Irving, etc. Parker missed a lot of games but was coming back into form late in the season and Chris Paul seemed to be getting stronger down the stretch after Rivers came in to help him some.

One of the teams with an elite PG with no depth would do well to take a long look.

BKLYNpigeon
06-21-2015, 12:32 PM
if he's a back up, he better get playing time or else he'll cry again.

I can see him in starting for the knicks.

ewing
06-22-2015, 12:11 AM
Rudy was someone I thought had what it takes but never seemed to find the right situation. Dude got jobbed hard in the slam dunk contest.

Rudy had game. he got hurt a lot and didn't seem to bring it every night when he was healthy