PDA

View Full Version : Young to the Cavs?

Stunner
06-19-2015, 03:46 PM
@thenbareporters: Source: Cavs have offered Brendan Haywood and 24th overall pick to the Lakers for Nick Young http://t.co/5qIbz7irkL

bucketss
06-19-2015, 03:47 PM
huh? why ?i guess jr is gone?

tredigs
06-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Not that Nick Young is anything to write home about, but he's on a 5 mil a year deal. That's probably too good of a contract for the Lakers to give up being that he's one of their only draws right now.

Also, not exactly what Cleveland needs. They need playmakers, not hot-potato shooters.

2-ONE-5
06-19-2015, 04:02 PM
what do the lakers need 3 picks from 24-34 for? its not like Young is hurting their cap even though he sucks

NYKnickFanatic
06-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Imagine JR and Young together lol.

JR already said he was going to opt out but wanted to come back. Guess Cavs aren't interested.

LAKERS4LIFE!!
06-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Please let this happen!

Byron Scott hates Swaggy P and he let the Hollywood lights distract his already inefficient self. He cares more about being on TMZ with Iggy than he does playing good basketball.

xbrackattackx
06-19-2015, 04:20 PM
I will help Nick pack. This would be fantastic.

Teeboy1487
06-19-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't think this is true. Besides, who at the 24 pick would justify the Lakers adding 7 million against the cap? IDK.

Stunner
06-19-2015, 04:35 PM
I don't think this is true. Besides, who at the 24 pick would justify the Lakers adding 7 million against the cap? IDK.

Harrell / RHJ / Hunter / Vaughn A lot of young cheap future role player options . Young isn't worth the money , lakers need smarter players .

Vee-Rex
06-19-2015, 04:37 PM

Haywood's contract is not guaranteed. Essentially, the Lakers could give up the 5 mil for Young, take on Haywood's 10 mil, and cut Haywood.

They would be shedding 15 mil while gaining the 24th pick. Not too bad for LA.

I don't like this move for the Cavs. Not a fan of Nick Young.

HunterNRoss
06-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Harrell / RHJ / Hunter / Vaughn A lot of young cheap future role player options . Young isn't worth the money , lakers need smarter players .

I could see the trade happening. Question is adding 3 rookies going to get us anywhere. If we are going to stack 3 rookies and 2 2nd year players probably means we understand we arent going far league this year. Although I dont see Lakers trading everyone away for one last push for Kobe I dont see them pretty much giving up on this season also.

GREATNESS ONE
06-19-2015, 04:48 PM
I would pull the trigger and cut Haywood.

More Salary cap!

Teeboy1487
06-19-2015, 05:03 PM
OK I did not know about the non guaranteed part. I still don't think it's true unless the Cavs really like Young. I don't see how they do. He sucked last year.

unleashthebeast
06-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Haywood's contract is not guaranteed. Essentially, the Lakers could give up the 5 mil for Young, take on Haywood's 10 mil, and cut Haywood.

They would be shedding 15 mil while gaining the 24th pick. Not too bad for LA.

I don't like this move for the Cavs. Not a fan of Nick Young.

I mean, they would only actually shed 5 mil in cap. They lose young and essentially take no salary back. They don't shed 15 mil in cap since they didn't have the 10 mil Haywood before the deal.

But yeah, if this is true the Lakers should be all over this. Nick Young is a dumb *** and has no chance of being a contributor on a good team. The only exception to this rule is LeBron possibly getting his head on straight, so I would be very interested in seeing how this would work.

HunterNRoss
06-19-2015, 05:07 PM

More Salary cap!

That works. With 3 late picks Id probably package them and try to move up or trade a few for a player. Just picking 2,24,37,34 seems like a lot to keep on a roster thats not a throw away year.

Vinylman
06-19-2015, 05:32 PM
no way this is right... if it is Cleveland is literally dumb

bleedprple&gold
06-19-2015, 05:47 PM
I hope this is true and the Lakers pull the trigger. Then package some of those picks to move up in the draft.

xxplayerxx23
06-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Calderon> Nick young, come get him for that package!

GiantsSwaGG
06-19-2015, 06:25 PM
GM LeBron = Isiah Thomas

SportsFanatic10
06-19-2015, 06:26 PM
I'd love to see Smith and Young on the same team hahaha

Stunner
06-19-2015, 06:37 PM
GM LeBron = Isiah Thomas

None of his teams got to the finals

Raidaz4Life
06-19-2015, 06:40 PM
Talk about a gift if this turns out to be true! Pull the trigger Mitch!

SportsFanatic10
06-19-2015, 06:40 PM
None of his teams got to the finals

Well in all fairness, a normal GM can't usually just up and go to a better team or be the best player in the league at the same time.

beasted86
06-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Ignore Haywood in the proposal.

This trade would be Nick Young for the 24th pick.

I'd do that in a heartbeat for the Lakers.

Nick Young is a clone of JR Smith. A hot and cold player you can do without on a rebuilding team. He's only useful on a contender who doesn't "need" him to score and can keep him on a short leash.

Lakers + Giants
06-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Talk about a gift if this turns out to be true! Pull the trigger Mitch!

Yes! Do it immediately!

IndyRealist
06-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Cavs seem to like a certain mould of SGs, don't they?

Bruno
06-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Not that Nick Young is anything to write home about, but he's on a 5 mil a year deal. That's probably too good of a contract for the Lakers to give up being that he's one of their only draws right now.

Also, not exactly what Cleveland needs. They need playmakers, not hot-potato shooters.

I think it's a great deal for the Lakers. Sitting at #27, the Lakers really need to develop a 3/D guy. Problem is that Cleveland, Memphis and San Antonio sitting at #24, #25 and #26 need or might want one one as well (SAS might go Wing/D here just to prepare for Danny Greens free agency). A guy like Justin Anderson almost definitely won't fall to the Lakers at #27, but he could possibly be had at #24. The Lakers could also do the deal, obtain #24, and package #24 with #27 and #34 to see how far they could move up in the first round with those picks. Maybe they offer #2 with #27 and #34 for #1 for funzies while developing a 3/D selected with #24 to pair with Townes. last one not likely, but point is the Lakers would have some options to fish out some trades.

The Lakers could stretch Haywoods 10M over five seasons and pay him 2M a year for five seasons in the post TV money cap era.

the Lakers let the Hill and Lin assets turn into nothing. it'd be nice to get something for Nick Young. I think he could help Cleveland as well, and he's inexpensive.

Bruno
06-19-2015, 07:05 PM

More Salary cap!

agreed. stretch it over five years at $2Mish a season, but in the mean time you lose Young who's still guaranteed $11M or so through 2018. whether they pay off Haywoods 10M next year or stretch it over five season, it's a smaller financial commitment than having Nick Young through 2018.

I think it must be fake, or pitched by Laker people. If Cleveland wanted this the deal would have been already completed.

Bruno
06-19-2015, 07:05 PM
what do the lakers need 3 picks from 24-34 for? its not like Young is hurting their cap even though he sucks

following in your footsteps. assets man.

SportsFanatic10
06-19-2015, 07:08 PM
But if this is true the Lakers should pull the trigger immediately.

Bruno
06-19-2015, 07:09 PM
huh? why ?i guess jr is gone?

JR can get hotter, but I think Young is slightly worse at being inconsistent. Youngs deal is a reflection of a local guy taking a local deal in the previous cap era. For financial and on court reasons, Young might be a better bet than JR Smith for the Cavs. Especially if they get to ditch the Haywood Contract in the process (which will make resigning Kevin Love and Tristin Thompson less back breaking from a luxury tax perspective). Cleveland is in win now mode, they have no real need for a late first rounder. Call me a homer but I think its a good trade for both sides, which makes it a great trade.

bleedprple&gold
06-19-2015, 07:09 PM
agreed. stretch it over five years at $2Mish a season, but in the mean time you lose Young who's still guaranteed $11M or so through 2018. whether they pay off Haywoods 10M next year or stretch it over five season, it's a smaller financial commitment than having Nick Young through 2018.

I think it must be fake, or pitched by Laker people. If Cleveland wanted this the deal would have been already completed.

Haywood's contract is non-guaranteed.

Bruno
06-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Haywood's contract is non-guaranteed.

Damn, you're right. On basketball reference he's only guaranteed $2.2M of that $10M.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/CLE.html

If I'm not mistaken NBA teams have until the 30th to decide on team options.

Stunner
06-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Well Mo Williams already booked his flight lol

kobe4thewinbang
06-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Nick Young is worth a bit more than that. He loves to chuck, sure, but if they get some good players he'll tone it down and be a decent sixth man.

beasted86
06-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Damn, you're right. On basketball reference he's only guaranteed $2.2M of that $10M.

According to Sham Sports, his team has until August 1st, and it's fully non guaranteed.

jerellh528
06-19-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure this is bogus. I haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere and that Twitter account that reported it seems very amature.

bleedprple&gold
06-19-2015, 08:44 PM

The $2.2M guaranteed you see there is for this last season, not next season. Next season is fully non-guaranteed.

bleedprple&gold
06-19-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure this is bogus. I haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere and that Twitter account that reported it seems very amature.

It doesn't seem that far-fetched though. Reports, although they don't specifically cite Young, say the Cavs are looking for a perimeter player that can create his own shot and that's one thing Young can do.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-19-2015, 09:03 PM
I hope not. Swaggy P to Cleveland might end him and Iggy's relationship.

SportsFanatic10
06-19-2015, 09:05 PM

I managed to come across this, which at least states that the Cavs are shopping Haywood and the pick. Haven't seen the Lakers or Young mentioned though, but it's plausible.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/19/report-cavaliers-shopping-brendan-haywood-first-round-pick-in-trade-to-try-to-upgrade-the-roster/

GunFactor187
06-19-2015, 11:11 PM
I thought it was Thaddeus from the title and then I was like well Love is gone lol. But then reading that it was Swaggy P, I lmao'd.

Bruno
06-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Well Mo Williams already booked his flight lol
they could have used him against GS.

The $2.2M guaranteed you see there is for this last season, not next season. Next season is fully non-guaranteed.

you're right.

IKnowHoops
06-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Makes no sense for the Cavs

IKnowHoops
06-20-2015, 12:06 AM
GM LeBron = Isiah Thomas

True, he's freaking awful. He's needs to sit down and shut up and just play basketball. He's awesome at that.

ewing
06-20-2015, 12:08 AM
I think Swaggy P needs his own team

Corey
06-20-2015, 12:24 AM
If Jr, Swaggy P and LeBron were on the same team, I'd watch every game.

Dunno if its any better, but you could probably get Evan Turner from the Celtics for the same offer.

LakersEaglesLA
06-20-2015, 01:35 AM
How soon they forget smh Nick Young was best six man in nba the season before last, also he was HURT last season.. I don't like deal I would keep Swaggy!

Raps08-09 Champ
06-20-2015, 01:49 AM
True, he's freaking awful. He's needs to sit down and shut up and just play basketball. He's awesome at that.

No way man. He recruited Wade and Bosh.

WITZ
06-20-2015, 03:14 AM
Why is a guy with 2000 followers a legit source again :laugh2:

Minimal
06-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Seems Mo Williams is interested in getting back to Cavs lol. But I expect them to sign Norris Cole, too many ties between him and Bron.

Scoots
06-20-2015, 12:49 PM
I would do the OP deal in a heartbeat, then try to trade Hayward to someone needing an expiring.

Bruno
06-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Why is a guy with 2000 followers a legit source again :laugh2:

this specifics of this might be hogwash, but Windhorst is on record via twitter saying that the Cavs are looking to package #24 with Haywood.

Jtirado16
06-21-2015, 01:51 AM
If I'm the lakers I do it in a heartbeat. Either trade the picks to move up even higher. Or trade the picks to get an established player.

numba1CHANGsta
06-21-2015, 02:17 AM
That works. With 3 late picks Id probably package them and try to move up or trade a few for a player. Just picking 2,24,37,34 seems like a lot to keep on a roster thats not a throw away year.

You mean 27 not 37, and this will only help the Lakers more since they are trying to trade up, maybe 24+27+34 for the Knicks 4th?

Lakers + Giants
06-21-2015, 02:26 AM
You mean 27 not 37, and this will only help the Lakers more since they are trying to trade up, maybe 24+27+34 for the Knicks 4th?

:laugh:

GREATNESS ONE
06-21-2015, 02:29 AM
^ Ikr we could only wish! Lolz

Lakers + Giants
06-21-2015, 02:37 AM
^ Ikr we could only wish! Lolz

Honestly, if we were to have those 3 picks I'd still be shocked if we could trade em for a pick inside the top 15...

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-21-2015, 02:45 AM
Honestly, if we were to have those 3 picks I'd still be shocked if we could trade em for a pick inside the top 15...

I think 24 and 27 could get a pick between 15 and 20

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-21-2015, 02:47 AM
What i dont get is why the Cavs would give up a first to get rid of Haywood. Cant they cut him themselves? Nick Young is not worth a first round pick.

TheNumber37
06-21-2015, 04:51 AM

People don't come to laker games to see Nick young. They come because it's a basketball game in LA.

Young... is not more enticing to watch than Kobe's final year, the play of Julius Randle. The play of Okafor/Russell/Prizongis

The Play of Rondo/Love
Much more exciting story lines

eso
06-21-2015, 05:27 AM
I mean, they would only actually shed 5 mil in cap. They lose young and essentially take no salary back. They don't shed 15 mil in cap since they didn't have the 10 mil Haywood before the deal.

But yeah, if this is true the Lakers should be all over this. Nick Young is a dumb *** and has no chance of being a contributor on a good team. The only exception to this rule is LeBron possibly getting his head on straight, so I would be very interested in seeing how this would work.

Actually they would clear about 4mil because the 24th pick would eat up around 1 mil.

Vinylman
06-21-2015, 11:44 AM
What i dont get is why the Cavs would give up a first to get rid of Haywood. Cant they cut him themselves? Nick Young is not worth a first round pick.

Because once they signed Andy V last year to an extension they fcuked themselves in terms of cap... they are WAY over the cap when you factor in all the holds... the only asset they have is Haywoods non-guaranteed deal to trade.

They have to resign the following guys just to keept the same roster

TT
Love
Lebron
JR
Iman
Delly

bleedprple&gold
06-21-2015, 12:23 PM

They are not including a first to get rid of Haywood's contract (yes they can just cut him), they are including it because they want to get something of value in return that can help the team now, and they need Haywood's contract just for salary matching purposes. Young not being worth a first round pick is a separate discussion.

Scoots
06-21-2015, 12:45 PM
They are not including a first to get rid of Haywood's contract (yes they can just cut him), they are including it because they want to get something of value in return that can help the team now, and they need Haywood's contract just for salary matching purposes. Young not being worth a first round pick is a separate discussion.

They can't cut him, they can decline his team option. I'm not sure what dates apply, nor what clauses are involved as far as trades or whatnot. They should be looking to get players from teams looking for expiring contracts. The Cavs need players.

Scoots
06-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Because once they signed Andy V last year to an extension they fcuked themselves in terms of cap... they are WAY over the cap when you factor in all the holds... the only asset they have is Haywoods non-guaranteed deal to trade.

They have to resign the following guys just to keept the same roster

TT
Love
Lebron
JR
Iman
Delly

They don't have to re-sign TT, Iman, or Delly to keep the roster the same next year ... but if they don't extend them they will be unrestricted free agents after next year. And you should add Mozgov to that list since if they don't extend him now he too will be unrestricted next year.

hugepatsfan
06-21-2015, 12:53 PM
I think Young sucks but in some defense of CLE's interest, I think you have to look for players who don't cower at taking shots from Lebron. You need guys who won't defer to the point that you have no secondary scorers, just spot-up guys. Young certainly fits that description.

Tony_Starks
06-21-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm in the minority if Laker fans that love Nick Young. People have to look beyond the current situation. On a horrible team he's not going to make a difference but just as recently as a couple years back he singlehandedly gave the Clippers a huge comeback win in the playoffs vs Memphis off the bench.

His game is simple, get buckets. If you're a legit playoff team you can always use a guy that can get buckets without a play drawn up, and his D has improved under Scott.

Scoots
06-21-2015, 01:20 PM
I think Young sucks but in some defense of CLE's interest, I think you have to look for players who don't cower at taking shots from Lebron. You need guys who won't defer to the point that you have no secondary scorers, just spot-up guys. Young certainly fits that description.

LOL. Thing is ... Waiters fit that description too and they sent him packing.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-21-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm in the minority if Laker fans that love Nick Young. People have to look beyond the current situation. On a horrible team he's not going to make a difference but just as recently as a couple years back he singlehandedly gave the Clippers a huge comeback win in the playoffs vs Memphis off the bench.

His game is simple, get buckets. If you're a legit playoff team you can always use a guy that can get buckets without a play drawn up, and his D has improved under Scott.

Agreed, I really enjoy watching young on our team. I honestly would rather keep him.