PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love expected to leave

Stunner
06-18-2015, 02:13 PM
@FanSided: Kevin Love is 'expected' to opt out and leave the #Cavs this summer. http://t.co/t2ZYu8jKT1 http://t.co/ULNwzWvDrU

Blink
06-18-2015, 02:21 PM
A stunning revelation

ManningToTyree
06-18-2015, 02:23 PM
He was always going to opt out right?

beasted86
06-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Long as it's a max, he'll be back.

If it's not a max, he can use that as the scape goat and come away not looking terrible.

I know for sure though Tristan nor Love are taking a penny less than max.

Jetsguy
06-18-2015, 02:32 PM
opting out and leaving - two vastly different things. One we know is coming. The other we will see but hard to imagine giving up Wiggins for 1 year of Love. He will get the max somewhere and it may as well be Cle. Unless he does what Lebron will and sign basically another 1 year deal

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-18-2015, 02:42 PM
stay the **** away from the Lakers

DanG
06-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Wiggins for Love trade will probably end up looking as bad as Harden for Kevin Martin.

GiantsSwaGG
06-18-2015, 02:44 PM
The Lakers are screwed :laugh:

GREATNESS ONE
06-18-2015, 02:46 PM
stay the **** away from the Lakers

You know he wants to be a Laker. I just don't think he'll get the max, especially after we draft Okafor or Towns.

HoopsDrive
06-18-2015, 03:40 PM
S&T the guy to at least get some assets... but still, Wiggins for 1 and a half year of Love?

Damn

MonroeFAN
06-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Jesus.

Avenged
06-18-2015, 03:46 PM
The Lakers are screwed :laugh:

Not cool :( hes not wanted here

rocketfuel
06-18-2015, 03:49 PM
If he does, that Wiggins trade is going to look horrible.

Big Zo
06-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Andrew Wiggins: "LeBron, *****, tell me how my *** taste!"

Vinylman
06-18-2015, 04:04 PM
He had to opt out... if he didn't he would have been traded by the Cavs and landed in some shiethole

still1ballin
06-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Good.

Sadds The Gr8
06-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Why not?

Avenged
06-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Why not?

Because we are looking at mediocrity or maybe even less.

Vinylman
06-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Because we are looking at mediocrity or maybe even less.

I would take him as long as they take Kobe

asandhu23
06-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Hope he finds a good team.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-18-2015, 04:29 PM
It makes the trade look awful, but I think Kevin Love can be replaced (by more than one player for his money) and Cleveland wont miss a beat.

Vinylman
06-18-2015, 04:35 PM
It makes the trade look awful, but I think Kevin Love can be replaced (by more than one player for his money) and Cleveland wont miss a beat.

The problem for Cleveland is that they are WAY over the cap with actual salaries and cap holds... the only real asset they have is Haywood's contract that is huge but only partially guaranteed... they could trade him for something but that is about it other than the MLE

If Love leaves with no comp they will be hard pressed to assemble a good team imo

smith&wesson
06-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Love makes me laugh. seems like he is never happy, no matter what situation he is in.

jason
06-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Andrew Wiggins with the Cavaliers would have been good

flea
06-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Love makes me laugh. seems like he is never happy, no matter what situation he is in.

Meh, I'm not a huge fan of his but I can't blame him. He's an in-prime scoring forward stuck in a glorified Channing Frye role on the Cavs. He's a good scorer but Cavs have one of the 5 or so best scorers in the game currently as well as the best offensive player in the game (who happens to have very little value unless he's dominating the ball on offensive possessions).

Vinylman
06-18-2015, 04:49 PM

SMFH...

yeah... he should just sit around and let Lebron dictate where he plays next year...

the writing was on the wall... if he doesn't opt out the Cavs were gonna ship him out...

they are maxing Lebron's butt boy TT and Love was the key to getting wing players via trade...

Ty22Mitchell
06-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say that he expects to start for Cleveland opening day? Obviously I don't know him personally, but I think he is staying in Cleveland.

As far as my boys Mitch and Jim in LA, I hope they don't sign him. 27 years old is too old for the Lakers to use. It'll take two to three years for their rookies to become superstars (if they even do). IMO success is about timing, and I don't think the timing is right for either of the parties.

Ty22Mitchell
06-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say that he expects to start for Cleveland opening day? Obviously I don't know him personally, but I think he is staying in Cleveland.

As far as my boys Mitch and Jim in LA, I hope they don't sign him. 27 years old is too old for the Lakers to use. It'll take two to three years for their rookies to become superstars (if they even do). IMO success is about timing, and I don't think the timing is right for either of the parties.

Bruno
06-18-2015, 05:00 PM

I want him. the Lakers need assets. even if he's not a fit and plays the same position as Julius, just trade him once he reestablishes his value.

we've done a horrible job of collecting assets. and we've done it in the name of flexibility.

Rondo and Love are horrible fits for the Lakers in free agency. Jordan Clarkson is already better than Rondo. but if we strike out on the position we really need, SF (or C, if we pass on Okafor for Russell), then we should spend the max money on players who are willing to maybe come, such as Love or Rondo, even if it creates a positional cluster----. it's not about building around them, its about collecting assets and being in position to make a trade.

Ty22Mitchell
06-18-2015, 05:07 PM
I want him. the Lakers need assets. even if he's not a fit and plays the same position as Julius, just trade him once he reestablishes his value.

we've done a horrible job of collecting assets. and we've done it in the name of flexibility.

Rondo and Love are horrible fits for the Lakers in free agency. Jordan Clarkson is already better than Rondo. but if we strike out on the position we really need, SF (or C, if we pass on Okafor for Russell), then we should spend the max money on players who are willing to maybe come, such as Love or Rondo, even if it creates a positional cluster----. it's not about building around them, its about collecting assets and being in position to make a trade.

I disagree with part of your post. If it were NBA Live, then I would do exactly what you outlined. The problem that the real life NBA isn't like NBA LIVE. Signing him for a year could turn into an ugly situation for Kevin, alienate future FA's, or stunt Julius' growth. As much as I agree with you that they need assets the fit /value/integrity isn't there.

Bruno
06-18-2015, 05:21 PM
I disagree with part of your post. If it were NBA Live, then I would do exactly what you outlined. The problem that the real life NBA isn't like NBA LIVE. Signing him for a year could turn into an ugly situation for Kevin, alienate future FA's, or stunt Julius' growth. As much as I agree with you that they need assets the fit /value/integrity isn't there.

Fair point. but the Lakers and every team in the NBA have already crossed into that territory many times. the Lakers told Pau and Odom to take a hike barley a year after winning back to back championships. Guys get traded all the time and guys get traded during the early phases of new deals as well. I think getting traded is a part of the business and although I understand your point totally, I'm not sure if its quite as dangerous from a reputations stand point as you do.

I'd say you don't sign Love for a year, you offer him the longest deal you can give him and take care of him; unless he specifically requests a one year deal so he can get mega money next off season. In which case he's trying to align the system in his favor personally for financial reasons (his right), so isn't everyones hands kind of dipping into being as opportunistic as possible? I don't think its a moral problem.

Gander13SM
06-18-2015, 05:31 PM
I think Love would be foolish to leave Cleveland. He will get at least one championship there in the next 3 years and he wouldn't even have to work for it.

But on the other side I think Cleveland might be better off without Love. He's another guy that demands a lot of touches. And Kyrie/LeBron are exceptional isolation players. I think they would benefit more from building around those two with a more balanced roster of two way players as opposed to having a 3rd franchise type guy.

Everyone wants to play with LeBron. Not only is he the best player in the world coming off an amazing display of basketball prowess but he's one of the most unselfish and willing passers out of any "superstar" in the league. Ever.

So they could get 2 or maybe even 3 very solid free agents for Love. Possibly even negotiate a sign and trade of some sort.

Due to his ACL I doubt Wes Mathews gets a lot of big offers. But if he stays healthy he's worth the money. Solid two way wing with some playoff experience.

Kyrie Irving - Wes Mathews - LeBron James - Tristan Thompson - Anderson Varejao

With a bench of; Lou Williams, Iman Shumpert, Timofey Mozgov, Dellavedova, Brandon Bass, Mike Miller and James Jones.

They could even spend the money on one guy who doesn't need a lot of touches offensively but brings a lot defensively like Deandre Jordan.

Minimal
06-18-2015, 05:45 PM
I think its best for Love to stay in Cleveland, and I think he will. I think Cleveland will keep the core of Love, Smith, Shumpert, Thompson, Delly and Mozgov, fire Blatt, hire Tom Thibodeau, and they will be just fine next year. I really feel sorry for Marion, so sad he didn't win a ring before retiring. He just announced retirement. Inb4 new thread.

Ty22Mitchell
06-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Fair point. but the Lakers and every team in the NBA have already crossed into that territory many times. the Lakers told Pau and Odom to take a hike barley a year after winning back to back championships. Guys get traded all the time and guys get traded during the early phases of new deals as well. I think getting traded is a part of the business and although I understand your point totally, I'm not sure if its quite as dangerous from a reputations stand point as you do.

I'd say you don't sign Love for a year, you offer him the longest deal you can give him and take care of him; unless he specifically requests a one year deal so he can get mega money next off season. In which case he's trying to align the system in his favor personally for financial reasons (his right), so isn't everyones hands kind of dipping into being as opportunistic as possible? I don't think its a moral problem.

If the Lakers didn't have Julius then I would agree with you on the one year deal thing. Do you think you can develop a top 10 pick into a superstar if he isn't starting at his position?

Scoots
06-18-2015, 06:02 PM
I have an idea, Warriors trade David Lee and a 2nd round pick to the Cavs for Love. Then if Love doesn't want to play for the champs he can still opt out. Cavs get a post scorer, post passer, team player, for less than Love, Warriors clear cap space.

JasonJohnHorn
06-18-2015, 06:08 PM
LBJ is opting out to. Both have said they expect to be back in Cleveland next year.

Cleveland is the only team that can give him a max for five-year, but to be frank, I expect both to have a player option after the first year of their new contract so they can sign even bigger deals next year when the cap goes up.

jerellh528
06-18-2015, 06:12 PM
If the Lakers didn't have Julius then I would agree with you on the one year deal thing.Do you think you can develop a top 10 pick into a superstar if he isn't starting at his position?

Of course, yes. This is one thing I've never understood. People say you can't have whatever player start in front of a rookie because it'll stunt his growth, I think that's so overblown. If randle is as good as we think he is, he will get minutes either way. coming off the bench in a 6th man role, a player can get some real quality mins. If anything, I would even say it's a good thing for a young player's development coming in off the bench. It takes a big pressure off, and gives a courtside insight on what starters roles on a team should be, also allows the coach to put the rook in positions that would be most beneficial. Plus he's still getting mins and practicing. It's not like he would never see a court. Also rookies like randle are 19,20 years old, still developing his body and adult mentality. No need to rush a development.

WITZ
06-18-2015, 06:12 PM
I think its best for Love to stay in Cleveland, and I think he will. I think Cleveland will keep the core of Love, Smith, Shumpert, Thompson, Delly and Mozgov, fire Blatt, hire Tom Thibodeau, and they will be just fine next year. I really feel sorry for Marion, so sad he didn't win a ring before retiring. He just announced retirement. Inb4 new thread.

Did you forget 2011 already lol. Fire Blatt who people where saying was overplaying guys and bring in Thibs who has ran the bulls to the ground....pass.

Minimal
06-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Did you forget 2011 already lol. Fire Blatt who people where saying was overplaying guys and bring in Thibs who has ran the bulls to the ground....pass.
oh ****, true that, how the hell did I forget? I thought he was just one of those ring chasers for some reason, looking for a ring before retiring.

bluefire7002
06-18-2015, 06:44 PM

Last I checked, 28-31ish is about the Prime years for a player... How is 27yrs old? Either way I would not get him for the Max.

More-Than-Most
06-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Poor lakers you guys need some love badly :laugh:

I feel bad for whatever team gives him the max

bluefire7002
06-18-2015, 06:47 PM

They would all have to agree to take less.. Otherwise their cap is about 100million.

Munkeysuit
06-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Love will be back in a Cavs uniform...not sure if thats a good or bad thing, but he will be back, it's by far the best chance for him to win a ring now and go elsewhere to achieve success later. If anyone on the Cavs is gone for sure, it'll be Delly, Marion and Mike Miller.

Lakers + Giants
06-18-2015, 07:10 PM
I'll take Love if we can get someone solid for Randle.

TDE
06-19-2015, 01:16 AM
I'll take Love if we can get someone solid for Randle.

Yep, they can trade Randle for a 3D SF

*Silver&Black*
06-19-2015, 03:04 AM
Love to ATL please. Perfect PF fit and they need rebounding.

PhillyFaninLA
06-19-2015, 04:33 AM
Him and Lebron and both opting out and getting more money and years with Cleveland as a result. This news is known since Lebron and Love moves last summer.

Minimal
06-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Atlanta needs a rim protector and rebounder first of all, they were wrecked by Cavs in the paint, didn't you watch that?

Badluck33
06-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Is Lebron Considered the GOAT if Kevin Love leave CLE?

TheIlladelph16
06-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Andrew Wiggins: "LeBron, *****, tell me how my *** taste!"

I understand the long-term point here, but Lebron did just fine without Kevin Love in the playoffs. Meanwhile "tell me how my **** tastes" Wiggins was leading his team to the worst record in the entire NBA.

SLY WILLIAMS
06-19-2015, 09:59 AM
If I was K Love I would move to a team where he will get the respect he is due. I felt like he was slighted a few times this season.

Dade County
06-19-2015, 10:27 AM
LoL

He isn't going anywhere, deals like this are agreed upon before the trade even goes down.

apocalypse15
06-19-2015, 10:46 AM
I haven't read the rule book on player salaries, but everybody keeps mentioning the boost in team salary in 2016-2017 season. Could a team give a player a contract will a raise in it now, or do they have to wait until the actual raise in team salary takes place? Otherwise I feel like there will be aimless reports about Lebron leaving again, or Love spotted having lunch with another teams player, etc....

Scoots
06-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I haven't read the rule book on player salaries, but everybody keeps mentioning the boost in team salary in 2016-2017 season. Could a team give a player a contract will a raise in it now, or do they have to wait until the actual raise in team salary takes place? Otherwise I feel like there will be aimless reports about Lebron leaving again, or Love spotted having lunch with another teams player, etc....

A multi-year contract has max raises for each year ... to get a new "max" contract amount it has to be on a new contract. Love could sign a 5 year deal with the last 4 years being player options.

2-ONE-5
06-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Raptors seem like it could be a good fit.

Stunner
06-19-2015, 12:06 PM

They need a legit center more

Sadds The Gr8
06-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Raptors seem like it could be a good fit.

not enough $$$

Wade n Fade
06-19-2015, 12:49 PM
If I were a Cavs fan, I wouldn't want Love back. Aldridge is a better fit IMO since he plays more D and is healthier. He would stretch the floor with his midrange game.

TheIlladelph16
06-19-2015, 01:02 PM
If I were a Cavs fan, I wouldn't want Love back. Aldridge is a better fit IMO since he plays more D and is healthier. He would stretch the floor with his midrange game.

Idt they can get LMA with their cap situation even if Love bounces.

Scoots
06-19-2015, 01:17 PM
S&T Love for LMA could work ... but I don't think LMA wants to play with LeBron.

mjarmentasr
06-19-2015, 01:18 PM
I think Love would be foolish to leave Cleveland. He will get at least one championship there in the next 3 years and he wouldn't even have to work for it.

But on the other side I think Cleveland might be better off without Love. He's another guy that demands a lot of touches. And Kyrie/LeBron are exceptional isolation players. I think they would benefit more from building around those two with a more balanced roster of two way players as opposed to having a 3rd franchise type guy.

Everyone wants to play with LeBron. Not only is he the best player in the world coming off an amazing display of basketball prowess but he's one of the most unselfish and willing passers out of any "superstar" in the league. Ever.

So they could get 2 or maybe even 3 very solid free agents for Love. Possibly even negotiate a sign and trade of some sort.

Due to his ACL I doubt Wes Mathews gets a lot of big offers. But if he stays healthy he's worth the money. Solid two way wing with some playoff experience.

Kyrie Irving - Wes Mathews - LeBron James - Tristan Thompson - Anderson Varejao

With a bench of; Lou Williams, Iman Shumpert, Timofey Mozgov, Dellavedova, Brandon Bass, Mike Miller and James Jones.

They could even spend the money on one guy who doesn't need a lot of touches offensively but brings a lot defensively like Deandre Jordan.

No they cant. They are currently over the Cap. If love Opts out? they are still over the Cap. That means only their Mid Level for free agents. No one wants to help with a sign and trade. Why should they? They can just sign Love without giving assets up at all.

Either Love signs a 5 year Max deal with the Cavs or he is walking. If he walks the Cavs are screwed. I think he will stay. But these guys have egos. He's only going to listen to Cavs fans say he's crap for so long before he gets pissed and sign where he's wanted.

And If I were u guys I wouldn't trust Lebron. If Love leaves and the Cavs end up over the Cap and the last 2 first round draft picks were traded away for nothing annnnnd Irving turns out to have a chronic knee condition? Lebron will bounce on the Cavs guaranteed. He's shameless. If the Thunder had cap space he would prob go there this year.

Imagine Magic, Larry, and Isaiah all hooking up with Jordan in Chicago to run the table for 3 or 4 years. He's a mercenary at this point and nobody loves him as much as he loves him. I know he's the best in the world but its tired to watch.

Super.
06-19-2015, 01:24 PM
You know he wants to be a Laker. I just don't think he'll get the max, especially after we draft Okafor or Towns.

lol if you think Love isnt getting a max right before the cap goes up.

jimm120
06-19-2015, 01:27 PM
He had to opt out... if he didn't he would have been traded by the Cavs and landed in some shiethole

I think so too. I think he would have opted in and hoped to try a finals run one more year. But if he gets traded, he then ends up in a situation he might hate even more for a whole year.

Super.
06-19-2015, 01:28 PM
He's only going to listen to Cavs fans say he's crap for so long before he gets pissed and sign where he's wanted.

Imagine Magic, Larry, and Isaiah all hooking up with Jordan in Chicago to run the table for 3 or 4 years. He's a mercenary at this point and nobody loves him as much as he loves him. I know he's the best in the world but its tired to watch.

lolwut? You honestly think that players care about what the fans say? Really? :laugh2:

Love is a mercenary? This is the 1st time he's been a free agent, how can you possibly say that. Besides ""There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry (Bird), called up Magic (Johnson) and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,' " Jordan said. "In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys.'' - Jordan (http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2010/07/michael_jordan_says_he_wouldnt.html)

rockets-fan
06-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Rockets dream players this offseason, one of :

Dragic
Love
LMA
Lowry

There was a report that he would be interested in Bos, LA, and Hou so maybe they can work a deal for love.

A core or Harden,Ariza,Love, Howard sounds great.

2-ONE-5
06-19-2015, 01:44 PM
not enough $$$

maybe a S/T revolving around Ross or DD? seems to make sense for both if the money works

Sadds The Gr8
06-19-2015, 01:53 PM
maybe a S/T revolving around Ross or DD? seems to make sense for both if the money works

I'd be shocked if the Cavs did that. Ross really regressed and DD is a bad fit on that team

Jayb587
06-19-2015, 02:34 PM
I think whats gonna happen is cle will end up choosing between love and Tristan. I doubt Tristan wants to go back to the bench now and I doubt love wants Tristan eating up his minutes. why give them both max deals to split the minutes.

Scoots
06-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Cleveland is going to be hard capped with LeBron and Love opting out. They will have to resolve it quickly.

Bruno
06-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Honestly, the best place for Kevin Love this off season is... Minnesota.

Bruno
06-19-2015, 04:30 PM
Poor lakers you guys need some love badly :laugh:

i wouldn't go that far. the Lakers have won 7 championships in my lifetime.

Corey
06-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Dont come to Boston please

GREATNESS ONE
06-19-2015, 05:00 PM
lol if you think Love isnt getting a max right before the cap goes up.

;) not with the Lakers.

GREATNESS ONE
06-19-2015, 05:01 PM
i wouldn't go that far. the Lakers have won 7 championships in my lifetime.

Let them keep kicking and poking at the Lion while he's down. We will rise to our throne again my brother.

Vinylman
06-19-2015, 05:08 PM
LBJ is opting out to. Both have said they expect to be back in Cleveland next year.

Cleveland is the only team that can give him a max for five-year, but to be frank, I expect both to have a player option after the first year of their new contract so they can sign even bigger deals next year when the cap goes up.

Love can sign a 2 year deal with an opt out after one...

He will...

1. Make more money next year than now
2. Can get the benefit of the new Cap year after next
3. Get an extra year of security

He won't sign a 5 year deal in Cleveland...

Not a chance

Super.
06-19-2015, 05:10 PM
;) not with the Lakers.

If the Lakers sign him, which is a possibility, there's no chance it would be for less than the max.

Vinylman
06-19-2015, 05:23 PM
A multi-year contract has max raises for each year ... to get a new "max" contract amount it has to be on a new contract. Love could sign a 5 year deal with the last 4 years being player options.

no he can't... to get out of his deal next year it can only be a 2 year deal

Vinylman
06-19-2015, 05:26 PM
I think so too. I think he would have opted in and hoped to try a finals run one more year. But if he gets traded, he then ends up in a situation he might hate even more for a whole year.

yep... people are really missing this point...

time will tell what he wants but even if he stays i doubt it is anything other than a 2 year deal with an opt out after year one

Scoots
06-19-2015, 05:59 PM
no he can't... to get out of his deal next year it can only be a 2 year deal

I knew an ETO was only available at the end of the 4th year of a contract, but I thought there were other contract options that could be used on other years but only one option per year. Oh well.

Vinylman
06-19-2015, 06:22 PM
I knew an ETO was only available at the end of the 4th year of a contract, but I thought there were other contract options that could be used on other years but only one option per year. Oh well.

yeah... if what you said was the case that is all the top guys would ever sign

Scoots
06-20-2015, 01:51 AM
yeah... if what you said was the case that is all the top guys would ever sign

I suppose so.

east fb knicks
06-20-2015, 01:49 PM
I know you guys saw love at the yankees game

0nekhmer
06-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Lool im so happy for Wiggins no

Cal827
06-20-2015, 02:03 PM
I know you guys saw love at the yankees game

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that. The minute I saw the highlights, I expected someone here to say Love to NY confirmed :laugh2:

dalton749
06-20-2015, 02:20 PM
I would love for him to go back to minny like Lebron did with Cleveland. Wiggins and towns on either side of him is perfect and would be a hilarious situation