PDA

View Full Version : What moves do you make to turn the Knicks into serious contenders in the East ?

mudvayne387
06-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Serious replies only please.

If you were the GM of the New York Knicks, what moves do you make this off-season and going forward ? I really want to hear from non Knick fans on the matter.

Draft
F/A
Trades
Coaching Changes
ETC...

Players under Contract for next season:

Carmelo Anthony: 22.8 Million
Jose Calderon: 7.4 Million
Tim Hardaway Jr: 1.3 Million
Cleanthony Early: 845k
Langston Galloway: 845k

Raps08-09 Champ
06-17-2015, 09:15 PM
When they give me the 4th and Calderon for Lowry.

Then they sign Gasol and Brewer.

C-Gasol
PF-Carmelo
SF-Brewer
SG-Hardaway
PG-Lowry

xxplayerxx23
06-17-2015, 09:18 PM
Knicks fan. Contenders out east is crap lol but to make them anything serious it would take trading Jose getting extra cap space

Mudiay
Hardaway
Melo
Monroe
Gasol
Would be a pretty nice lineup, won't happen but would make things interesting

xxplayerxx23
06-17-2015, 09:19 PM

C-Gasol
PF-Carmelo
SF-Brewer
SG-Hardaway
PG-Lowry

Decent team no thanks on Lowry!!! Lol

Raps08-09 Champ
06-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Decent team no thanks on Lowry!!! Lol

That's easily a contender in the East man, which is what he asked.

smood999
06-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Serious replies only please.

If you were the GM of the New York Knicks, what moves do you make this off-season and going forward ? I really want to hear from non Knick fans on the matter.

Draft
F/A
Trades
Coaching Changes
ETC...

Players under Contract for next season:

Carmelo Anthony: 22.8 Million
Jose Calderon: 7.4 Million
Shane Larkin: 1.6 Million (T/O)
Tim Hardaway Jr: 1.3 Million
Cleanthony Early: 845k
Langston Galloway: 845k

Total: 34.9 Million with Larkins option picked up.

They chose not to exercise Larkin's option back in October. He's a free agent. Galloway and Ledo have partial guaranteed contracts that become fully guaranteed in August (I think).

xxplayerxx23
06-17-2015, 09:28 PM
That's easily a contender in the East man, which is what he asked.

Prob 50 wins yeah true

bucketss
06-17-2015, 09:35 PM
draft cauley-stein, sign lma. trade for afalalo?

stein
lma
melo
Afalalo
calderon (sorry)

TheTreys
06-17-2015, 10:04 PM
1. Trade Calderon, Hardaway Jr, & Cleanthony Early away for a pick.
2. Draft a Point Guard in the draft. Either Mudiay or Russell if there available.
-That way the only guranteed players are Melo, Mudiay/Russell, & Galloway.
3. Top two targets in the FA should be Jimmy Butler & Draymond Green to force the Bulls & Warriors into tax dollars. If they miss on those two, sign Danny Green & DeMarre Carroll. Also pursue Robin Lopez at the center to make a full lineup.
- Say no to Monroe, Tobias Harris, Rondo, & Kevin Love.
4. Add bench players like Matt Barnes, Thanasis, Seraphin, Bargs, Brand, Lin, Dunleavy for the 2cd unit.
-May not be a championship team, but they'll be a lot better for sure

Clippersfan86
06-17-2015, 10:14 PM
Trade/cut everyone. Sign Lebron, Curry, Gasol, Kawhi Leonard.

mudvayne387
06-17-2015, 10:24 PM
They chose not to exercise Larkin's option back in October. He's a free agent. Galloway and Ledo have partial guaranteed contracts that become fully guaranteed in August (I think).

Good call, totally forgot about that.

da ThRONe
06-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Not a Melo hater, but I think Anthony's no trade clause kills any chance of a quick turnaround for the Knicks.

Don't think they can fetch a difference maker for the fourth pick and I don't think they will nab any of the major free agents.

shep33
06-17-2015, 10:49 PM
It sucks, but they aren't getting by Cleveland (nobody is out east) for the next few years

TheNumber37
06-17-2015, 11:11 PM
It sucks, but they aren't getting by Cleveland (nobody is out east) for the next few years

None of this is set in Stone.

Love could bounce, Kyrie could not be the same after his surgery. Lebron could decline. JR opted out and I don't see the Cavs giving him a deal like the one the Knicks gave, so he will leave or take the full MLE to stay

Knicks could draft the best player in the draft, melo could play MVP. TImmy could step up huge in his 3 yrd year. Cleanthony could come on. Galloway could be the real deal.

Everything is factor, at least wait til the rosters are set before we start ranking teams

NYJ - NYY
06-17-2015, 11:18 PM
None of this is set in Stone.

Love could bounce, Kyrie could not be the same after his surgery. Lebron could decline. JR opted out and I don't see the Cavs giving him a deal like the one the Knicks gave, so he will leave or take the full MLE to stay

Knicks could draft the best player in the draft, melo could play MVP. TImmy could step up huge in his 3 yrd year. Cleanthony could come on. Galloway could be the real deal.

Everything is factor, at least wait til the rosters are set before we start ranking teams

That Knicks part would be awesome. I would always want to win the championship and mostly going through bron just to say we were the best that year

Sofnr
06-17-2015, 11:51 PM
I don't think it can be realistically done in 1 year. Does being serious contenders mean having a shot to beat Cleveland in 7 game series? If so you need a 2-3 year plan and a lot of luck.

Tony_Starks
06-18-2015, 12:19 AM
In the east? Not much. Probably just a few more decent players around Melo and ditching the triangle.

That should be enough to lose to the Lebroniers in the ECF.

Jarvo
06-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Trade everyone for picks and pieces except Hardaway Jr.
Fire Fisher for Thibs
Draft Winslow
Sign Monroe
And go big next year in 2016 with the free agents.

Sadds The Gr8
06-18-2015, 12:29 AM
nothing realistic.

JNA17
06-18-2015, 12:38 AM
Trade 4th pick and Calderon to the Nuggets for Lawson and 7th pick. (Pick Stein).

- Sign LaMarcus Aldridge
- Sign Aaron Afflalo

Ty Lawson
Aaron Afflalo
Carmelo Anthony
LaMarcus Aldridge
Willie Caulie Stein

No need for applause.

east fb knicks
06-18-2015, 12:41 AM
Draft mudiay sign Gasol trade for d lee sign green or Matthews

Gasol
Lee
Melo
Green or Matthews
Mudiay Galloway

We could target Conley in 2016 or replace lee with horford in 2016

More-Than-Most
06-18-2015, 01:45 AM
nothing... there is nothing worth taking out there that they wont over pay for... they are gonna force rebuild and try to go contender asap and it will hurt them for years to come... just wait one year and go hard for like a durant or next years free agency people and have a lottery pick this year and next...some of the free agents they are interested in are laughable... I thought they should have traded melo and not resigned him as well.

Gasol or you wait period.

I just really hate that they gave Melo max... He isnt a max player... he is a very good player and can score but his defense is bad... not Harden bad but I wouldn't give Harden max either.

rJeezy
06-18-2015, 02:07 AM
Same as other rebuilding teams. Draft well (talent), stockpile assets (future first rounders), and wait for Carmelo's contract to expire. Then they can start rebuilding.

FraziersKnicks
06-18-2015, 06:52 AM
nothing... there is nothing worth taking out there that they wont over pay for... they are gonna force rebuild and try to go contender asap and it will hurt them for years to come... just wait one year and go hard for like a durant or next years free agency people and have a lottery pick this year and next...some of the free agents they are interested in are laughable... I thought they should have traded melo and not resigned him as well.

Gasol or you wait period.

I just really hate that they gave Melo max... He isnt a max player... he is a very good player and can score but his defense is bad... not Harden bad but I wouldn't give Harden max either.

We don't have a first rounder next year... And this whole "wait for next years free agency" is rubbish. IF KD leaves he's probably going to the Wiz. Why hold out for him when there's a slim chance we can get him? He also plays the same position as our best player who is signed fr another 4 years.

This free agency group has a nice number of good players who can be 2nd/3rd options on contenders. Monroe/Green/Harris/Carroll/Millsap etc. Putting two of them with our draft pick allows everyone to develop together.

Gander13SM
06-18-2015, 07:17 AM
Melo is a brilliant scorer but he needs a lot of support.

I would trade the 4th pick. Bring in a good point guard. And then chase Gasol and grab a decent wing in free agency. The odds of them landing Gasol imo are slim.

But the dream result would be something like;

Lowry - Hardaway Jr - Demarre Carroll - Melo - Gasol

You could make some noise in the East with that team.

mudvayne387
06-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Trade 4th pick and Calderon to the Nuggets for Lawson and 7th pick. (Pick Stein).

- Sign LaMarcus Aldridge
- Sign Aaron Afflalo

Ty Lawson
Aaron Afflalo
Carmelo Anthony
LaMarcus Aldridge
Willie Caulie Stein

No need for applause.

Honestly, that was one of my first thoughts when the Lawson rumors started to surface.

Calderon/Hardaway/4th/ for Lawson + 7th

TheIlladelph16
06-18-2015, 09:26 AM

C-Gasol
PF-Carmelo
SF-Brewer
SG-Hardaway
PG-Lowry

Is Lowry really worth the fourth pick in the draft? I'm not sure he's worth a pick that high, particularly when you consider that they have a severe lack of draft picks in the next few years to rebuild and grab young players with.

mudvayne387
06-18-2015, 09:30 AM
Is Lowry really worth the fourth pick in the draft? I'm not sure he's worth a pick that high, particularly when you consider that they have a severe lack of draft picks in the next few years to rebuild and grab young players with.

Not even close.

TheIlladelph16
06-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Not even close.

That's what I thought haha. I would look at the deal suggested in here with the Nuggets in swapping lottery picks and acquiring Lawson in the deal though. I'm not sure if the Nuggets would be interested in swapping the pick too or if they just want to trade Lawson, but I would explore that if I was Jackson.

GiantsSwaGG
06-18-2015, 09:41 AM
That's what I thought haha. I would look at the deal suggested in here with the Nuggets in swapping lottery picks and acquiring Lawson in the deal though. I'm not sure if the Nuggets would be interested in swapping the pick too or if they just want to trade Lawson, but I would explore that if I was Jackson.

Last season they said he was a top 5 PG, now they want to get rid of him. He's not worth lottery pick, it's laughable thinking about it

TheIlladelph16
06-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Last season they said he was a top 5 PG, now they want to get rid of him. He's not worth lottery pick, it's laughable thinking about it

Oh I remember. Between that and the Derozan hype from Toronto fans, you'd think they had a stud backcourt of sorts, which clearly was not the case haha

mudvayne387
06-18-2015, 09:53 AM
I'll share my ideal lineup going into next season.

First off, I have a feeling that Russell falls to the Knicks with the 76ers electing to take Porzingis 3rd overall.

Second of all, I believe Calderon can be moved but it will come at the cost of shipping out Hardaway Jr. Non Knick fans will scoff at this, but THJ is a very limited player who can be replaced.

Trading Calderon gives the Knicks a bit more flexibility but will also leave them with just three players on the roster.

I approach F/A very carefully and make sure not to repeat the Stoudamire debacle.

Sign: Danny Green/Robin Lopez/DeMarre Carrolp

Starting Lineup:

Russell
Green
Carrol
Anthony
Lopez

Now, this is far from a sexy starting 5 but it has a good mix of offensive and defensive talent.

I then bring back:

Bargnani
Thomas
Admundson

Early and Galloway are already signed.

That leaves 5 spots open and some cap flexibility considering they did not sign any big names. They could wait until next years F/A period, seek trades during the season, and fill in the roster with some 1 year veteran deals.

mudvayne387
06-18-2015, 10:06 AM

In their defense, he did have an unbelievable year but everyone kind of knew he was playing his *** off for a new contract.

ewing
06-18-2015, 10:10 AM
sign Jeremy Lin

elledaddy
06-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Trade calderon for whatever
if Russell dont fall to NY my ideal get for this offseason would be
steal Brandon Knight ,sign Wes Matthews ( short prove it deal), sign Monroe, draft WCS, buy 2nd draft pick

PG - B Knight
SG - Matthews
SF- Melo
PF- WCS
C - Monroe

Bench
Hardaway
Galloway
Early
greek freak 2
Alrich
Acy
Jason Smith
Bargs

If Russell falls , sub him for Knight and WCS for Robin Lopez

Knick bag
06-18-2015, 10:42 AM

Knicks have all of their 1st round picks except for 2016. Also have several 2nd round picks acquired through trade (Pablo,JR,Shump)

teddygreen17
06-18-2015, 10:43 AM
PG - Galloway (draft Moody)
SG - Hardaway JR.
SF - Melo
PF - LA | or Paul Millsap (cheaper)
C - DeAndre Jordan | or Robin Lopez (cheaper)

This is probably our bench - (2 starter and bench already know triangle)

Alexey Shved 1 •Guard
Jason Smith 14 •Forward-Center
Lance Thomas 42 •Forward
Cleanthony Early 17 •Forward
Cole Aldrich 45 •Center
Lou Amundson 21 •Forward

xbrackattackx
06-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Knicks should trade Melo,THJR and Early to the Bulls for Pau Gasol,Doug McDermott,Hinrich,Dunleavy and Mirotic and a future pick.

For the Bulls, they do lose fan favorite and amazing rookie Mirotic. But they get much needed scoring and can play Melo at PF if need be. And also clear cap by losing those players. While Knicks fill their roster in. Basically with Pau being in his twilight. It's Mirotic for Melo and over paid role players for a couple of cheaper options.

Rose
Buckets
Melo
Gibson
Noah

Then the Knicks throw all of their free agent cash at Marc Gasol.

Okay then Draft BPA let's say Russell/Mudaiy

R/M/Calderon/Larkn
Hinrich/Galloway
Dunleavy/McDermott
Pau Gasol/Mirotic
Marc Gasol/Cole Aldrich

Fill in better free agents with remaining money. Plus Pau and Marc would own the triangle. And you would have a win now and. Future.

nycericanguy
06-18-2015, 11:14 AM
I'll share my ideal lineup going into next season.

First off, I have a feeling that Russell falls to the Knicks with the 76ers electing to take Porzingis 3rd overall.

Second of all, I believe Calderon can be moved but it will come at the cost of shipping out Hardaway Jr. Non Knick fans will scoff at this, but THJ is a very limited player who can be replaced.

Trading Calderon gives the Knicks a bit more flexibility but will also leave them with just three players on the roster.

I approach F/A very carefully and make sure not to repeat the Stoudamire debacle.

Sign: Danny Green/Robin Lopez/DeMarre Carrolp

Starting Lineup:

Russell
Green
Carrol
Anthony
Lopez

Now, this is far from a sexy starting 5 but it has a good mix of offensive and defensive talent.

I then bring back:

Bargnani
Thomas
Admundson

Early and Galloway are already signed.

That leaves 5 spots open and some cap flexibility considering they did not sign any big names. They could wait until next years F/A period, seek trades during the season, and fill in the roster with some 1 year veteran deals.

You don't need to give away JC & THJR to sign those guys.

mudvayne387
06-18-2015, 11:21 AM
You don't need to give away JC & THJR to sign those guys.

No you don't, but the extra cap space can be used throughout the season which was my point. For example, taking on expiring contracts and accumulating picks since they do not have a 1st in 2016. Or, they can play it safe like I suggested and go after more high quality free agents next summer while still fielding a competitive team.

TheIlladelph16
06-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Knicks have all of their 1st round picks except for 2016. Also have several 2nd round picks acquired through trade (Pablo,JR,Shump)

My mistake. 2016 hurts though considering the current state of the team. It means they need to hit on this player with this year's pick because they may be terrible next year too and they lose out on a potential difference maker.

Kyben36
06-18-2015, 11:56 AM
1st, if i was the knick, I stay away from Big money guys, you have seen what that does to your team very quickly, unless you have alot of help from guys coming in cheap, which i dont see hapening, stay lower scale guys, not scrubs, but not max guys.

2nd, Draft the Right guy, this is not just a wingman for Melo, this is your future as well, make sure you take the right guy. I still see Okafor Falling into your lap, but we will have to see.

3, dont expect the world. too much pressure is killer.

so my plan

1st find a 3 way trade where you get Ricky Rubio back I think he thrives in NY and i think NY fans would love him there,

my idea

Ny Trades the #4 and Calderon
Ny Gets the #8 and Ricky Rubio

Detroit trades the #8 and Brandon Jennings
Detroit gets the #4 and Calderon

(Jennings is likely out after next year anyway, Jackson has taken over that team)

Minisota Trades Ricky Rubio
Minnisota Gets Brandon Jennings

With this trade, you move back 4 spots, but move Caldireon for a Better PG

#8, Draft Trey Lyles, a guy i know you have been rumored to be intersted in. Lyles has good size and good potential moving foward

So, now, we have

Trey Lyles
Ricky Rubio
Carmelo Anthony
Hardaway JR
Shane Larkin
Cleanthony Early
Langston Galloway

And Aproximatly 29 mil in cap space

Sign Gasol Best player on the market IMO, and would fit rather well in NY IMO

Sign Khris Middleton, a lower salary hit guy, but could be good starting, or off the bench

Sign Marreese Speights, another lower level bench guy who could be big for any team

Resign Bargani

not great, but there are not too many other options for low income big guys, he can spread the floor at least

These three take up most of your cap space combined,

Roster

Rubio
Hardaway JR
Melo
Lyles
Gasol

Bench

Middleton
Larkin
Early
Bargani
Galoway
Speights

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-18-2015, 12:10 PM
I'd look to use the capspace to eat bad contracts for picks. Cause I doubt Knicks land Marc Gasol or Aldridge or Draymond Green or any big fish. Maybe land Monroe for the baby max. Shame Melo has no trade clause. Other wise i'd look to trade him to Bulls for like a package of Noah and McDermott and Gibson. Not the greatest but still if Noah is healthy and change of scenery for Gibson and bigger role for McDermott could do some good. Then with lottery pick select BPA. Russell most likely gone before #4.

Mudiay
Hardaway JR
McDermott
Gibson
Noah

Isn't pretty but weak east that could almost be 8th seed. All team ball and defense. Probably looked for upgrade over Hardaway JR. If you use cap and land Monroe then line ups could be Mudiay, Hardaway, Gibson, Monroe, Noah. McDermott 6th man.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Sign Khris Middleton, a lower salary hit guy, but could be good starting, or off the bench

Bucks already said their matching all offer sheets to Middleton. He most likely gets baby max. Decent SG's are rare lately. No way Bucks let him walk.

BoSox47
06-18-2015, 12:15 PM

C-Gasol
PF-Carmelo
SF-Brewer
SG-Hardaway
PG-Lowry

I would take Mudiay or Russell over Lowry going forward.

Yanks All Day
06-18-2015, 12:23 PM
The Knicks aren't only 1 off season away from being legitimate contenders. They're 2 really good off seasons away, at best. They need this off season and next to really turn it around. Right now, they have nothing to work with, in terms of trade pieces. But if they dedicated 2 complete years to really getting the most out of their roster and off seasons, they could build something.

Here's what I'd do:

You obviously keep Carmelo Anthony. Get him healthy. He's an elite scorer in the NBA. Keep Jose Calderon for 2015. Unless an offer blows you away, he'll be a good guard this year on a team without much talent. Furthermore, he'll be an expiring contract next season, which could be valuable to a contending team needing a good backup pg. Same for Hardaway and Early. Kids can score and fit the 6th/7th man roles nicely if they find a good 2 guard. No need to part with them for the sake of dumping salary. Extend Acy the Qualifying Offer. That's a tough big man that good teams love to have. He'll mess it up in the post.

That's about $33 million dedicated to Calderon, Melo, Hardaway, Early, and Acy. The cap is what? $89 million for the season? That's a lot of room to work with. The 4th pick makes $3.3 million. So that would by roughly only $36 million dollars for 6 players you expect to contribute at a high level before even touching free agency.

Speaking of the 4th pick: I'd go Justise Winslow. Today's NBA is full of big, physical wing players. You have to be able to defend it. Winslow is an NBA-ready defender and has a very high offensive ceiling. He's also a proven player on a big stage and was coached by Coach K. He'd be a quality pickup on a team that has no 2016 first round pick and can't miss this one. Play Winslow at the 3 and Melo at the 4 and you have a formidable combination. Winslow's defense supplement's Melo's offense and vice-versa.

Now you've got 6 players, a ton of cap room, and needs that free agency could solve. The pipe dream at Center is Marc Gasol. That's unlikely at best. Brook Lopez, Robin Lopez, Greg Monroe, and DeAndre Jordan are all out there that would turn center from a liability to a strength against 75-80% of the NBA and cost a fraction of Gasol.

From there, you'd need a true starting 2 guard, more depth on the front line, and a backup point guard, but those mostly aren't high-priced pickups or things that are hard to find. The Knicks have a star player and a go-to scorer. They have cheap bench options. They have a high draft pick that could help a ton. They're not THAT far off, if done right. Calderon can't just be dumped. You have to get something out of your expiring contracts. The 4th pick can't be a project player when they don't have one next year. But it's doable in 2016 with the cap goign way up again, especially if 2015 is done right.

This year, they aren't going to contend for anything, but if done right, they could have 7 or 8 quality players under contract for next year with a real chance to turn themselves into a contender in 2 years. They just have to make the right moves this off season. I really don't like the Knicks, but I also don't believe they're as far off as it seems, if things are handled properly.

Harryks
06-18-2015, 12:42 PM
3 team trade! Knicks Kings Nuggets

Nuggets get #4 , Hardaway Jr, Calderon
Select Pg Mudiay

Kings get Lawson, C Early future 2nd rounder via DEN

Knicks get #6 and #7 PG Darren Collison

Knicks select Winslow, CauleyStein

Scoots
06-18-2015, 12:54 PM
New GM and a miracle.

nycericanguy
06-18-2015, 01:01 PM
No you don't, but the extra cap space can be used throughout the season which was my point. For example, taking on expiring contracts and accumulating picks since they do not have a 1st in 2016. Or, they can play it safe like I suggested and go after more high quality free agents next summer while still fielding a competitive team.

Knicks need players and depth. You don't give away two quality rotation players for nothing just in HOPES that MAYBE you could replace them during the season.

Knicks should hold onto JC unless they can get someone better.

Even with those guys NY can still have MAX cap room again next summer.

And they dont need a 2016 1st either. Signing 2-3 free agents + their pick this year + Melo, JC, THJR and a few other role players fills out their roster. And then like I said max cap room again next summer. A mid 1st rounder in 2016 should not be their priority .

FYL_McVeezy
06-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Sign Monroe, Demarre Carroll in 2015.....MAYBE see if you can get Wes Matthews for short money
Draft Mudiay, Winslow, or one of the top 3 if they fall
Move Calderon's contract next offseason.
Get on your knees and beg KD to come here in 2016...

dalton749
06-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Try and trade Calderon + THJ to Lebron for Haywood's 10 mil expiring (though they probably get better offers)
Go after love, gasol or Aldridge(whichever seems more realistic)
Trade #4 for derozan
Fill in the pieces with role players

Raps08-09 Champ
06-20-2015, 06:49 PM

This is about being contenders in the East for next year. They'll be good players but they need to wait for Mudiay or Russell.

KnicksorBust
06-20-2015, 07:14 PM

This is about being contenders in the East for next year. They'll be good players but they need to wait for Mudiay or Russell.

But they can be so much better than Lowry and they don't eat into our cap.

GREATNESS ONE
06-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Sign Gasol or LA

Draft Russell or Mudiay.

That's a start and a playoff team.

KnicksorBust
06-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Sign Gasol or LA

Draft Russell or Mudiay.

That's a start and a playoff team.

And we would still have some cap to sign a 3 and D player.