PDA

View Full Version : David Lee to be traded

Stunner
06-17-2015, 01:55 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: Story going online now: ESPN sources say Warriors and David Lee's camp have resolved to work together to find new home for former All-Star

lincecum=future
06-17-2015, 01:56 PM
:(

NYKnickFanatic
06-17-2015, 01:58 PM
He's coming home.

2-ONE-5
06-17-2015, 02:02 PM
making room to pay Green

Vinylman
06-17-2015, 02:03 PM
making room to pay Green

and Barnes...

lincecum=future
06-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Yeah they're going to match anything for Green and looks like extending Barnes will be a priority as well

72 Wins
06-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Is this supposed to be a surprise?

lincecum=future
06-17-2015, 02:35 PM
Well this conversation the day after the championship is a bit surprising

valade16
06-17-2015, 02:48 PM
The Warriors won the Championship in large part because of how insanely deep they were. They could play any style of basketball with guys like Livingston, Barbosa, Bogut, Lee and Ezeli.

I seriously wonder how several defections will affect the overall team.

sportsfanatic99
06-17-2015, 02:52 PM
he's a huge liability on defense. Hopefully noone is stupid enough to take Lee. Only way you take Lee is if GSW gives up assets like draft picks attached to him.

from what everyone's learned - he's not a piece you want on your team unless he's your 8th/9th man off the bench and in garbage time. Defense wins championships and Lee does not bring any. Lebron had very easy baskets when Lee was on the court lol.

BKLYNpigeon
06-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Shouldn't be too hard, Lee is still a very productive player on the last year of his contract.

G_S_W
06-17-2015, 03:03 PM
The Warriors won the Championship in large part because of how insanely deep they were. They could play any style of basketball with guys like Livingston, Barbosa, Bogut, Lee and Ezeli.

I seriously wonder how several defections will affect the overall team.

Lee wasn't going to stay. A max salary former all star still in his prime won't want to stay as the 10th man.

Bruno
06-17-2015, 03:05 PM
and Barnes...

pretty sure thats not till next summer.

colinskik
06-17-2015, 03:30 PM
he's a huge liability on defense. Hopefully noone is stupid enough to take Lee. Only way you take Lee is if GSW gives up assets like draft picks attached to him.

from what everyone's learned - he's not a piece you want on your team unless he's your 8th/9th man off the bench and in garbage time. Defense wins championships and Lee does not bring any. Lebron had very easy baskets when Lee was on the court lol.

Yes, Lebron had his way with Lee, but that's Lebron. Not many people are stopping the guy. The W's kept switching their defense leaving Lee on James ... not ideal.

Despite his defensive liabilities, he's more than a garbage time player. The W's were the deepest team in the league. Other teams could easily use Lee in an important role if not a starting role.

Vinylman
06-17-2015, 03:32 PM
pretty sure thats not till next summer.

nope ... they have been talking about getting it done this year... won't kick in for 2 years but they want to try and lock it down

R. Johnson#3
06-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Offensively he's great. His defence is just so damn awful though. It'll be interesting to see what they get for him.

greg_ory_2005
06-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Not really a surprise. He still has a bit of value so maybe they can get a decent return for him. He is still capable of starting on many teams

lol, please
06-17-2015, 03:47 PM
It sucks we will lose DLee the White Chris Webber, but at least we got to send him on his way with a ring. Thanks for everything Lee!! When we were a garbage team you wanted to be here and help turn this around, and you did just that! A class act and an underrated PF. You will never be forgotten, and you made your mark in the playoffs despite coming off the bench.

Go Dubs!

Stunner
06-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Knicks
Bucks
Celtics
Raptors
Blazers
Rockets

KnicksorBust
06-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Knicks

No.

numba1CHANGsta
06-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Warriors won't repeat without Lee :)

GunFactor187
06-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Sixers? Noel and Lee would make a hell of a frontcourt.

Scoots
06-17-2015, 04:20 PM
His outside shot faded the last couple years, but post scoring is a rare skill these days.

jason6692
06-17-2015, 04:34 PM
David lee for jordan hill and nick young lol why not

KnicksorBust
06-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Realistically the best fit for him is Detroit Pistons. Good PF next to Drummond and Jackson offensively. High efficiency frontcourt...

NYKnickFanatic
06-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Realistically the best fit for him is Detroit Pistons. Good PF next to Drummond and Jackson offensively. High efficiency frontcourt...

Stan Van Gundy is their coach. He needs that 3pt shooting stretch four next Drummond and they got him in Ily.

futureman
06-17-2015, 04:58 PM
looks like the Jazz will take on his contract just to get more draft picks for him. I don't like him at all but we need him for asset accumulation.

RiLoc
06-17-2015, 05:37 PM
This was so obvious it felt like old news.

David Lee played 107 minutes over the 21 games the Warriors played in the playoffs.
David Lee is the Warriors highest paid player and is owed 15.5 million next year.
The Warriors will need to resign Draymond Green to a max offer, which I believes means $16 million for that first year.
Warriors have 78 million committed (with Klay's new contract), Luxury tax is threshold will be around 81 million.

David Lee's gotta go to save as much money as possible and I'm sure David Lee wants more minutes anyway.

The Warriors are fortunate to have Curry on such a thrifty deal... 11.4m next year and 12.1m the following year.

lamzoka
06-17-2015, 07:56 PM
David Lee, who is the longest tenured player for the Golden State Warriors and as close to Steph Curry as any member of the newly crowned NBA champions, has likely played his last game for the team, league sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

Sources said the Warriors have privately acknowledged to Lee and his agent, Mark Bartelstein, that it would be unfair to the former All-Star to ask him to continue to serve in a limited role next season after Lee accepted his diminished minutes without complaint all season.

After capturing an NBA title in a manner some thought couldn't be done, Golden State's roster appears poised to stick together in the years ahead. Are more special seasons in store?
Although discussions on this topic were essentially tabled by both sides until after the playoffs, sources said Wednesday that the Warriors and Bartelstein have resolved to work together to "come up with a good solution" to find a new home for Lee this offseason.

Lee, 32, lost his starting spot to Draymond Green early in the season due to bad timing as much as anything else, as he suffered a hamstring injury after a strong showing in training camp. Once the 67-win Warriors launched to a 21-2 start with Green as the starter, Lee was forced to settle for spot minutes in the midst of the fifth season of a six-year, $80 million deal he signed with Golden State in the summer of 2010.

Scheduled to earn $15.4 million next season, Lee earned a measure of redemption in the midst of the NBA Finals when Warriors coach Steve Kerr suddenly embraced small-ball lineups after Golden State could only manage a split at home in the first two games. Lee served as the first big man off Kerr's bench in Games 3, 4 and 5.

David Lee came off the bench for most of this season for the Warriors, averaging 7.9 points and 5.2 rebounds. David Richard/USA TODAY Sports
"It's been a really interesting year," Lee said during an interview with the NBA Insiders on ESPN Radio after Game 1 of the Finals, in which he didn't log a minute of playing time. "... I've actually gotten to see kind of the other side of the NBA. I've always been the guy that's out there for 35 to 40 minutes. I've never really, I don't think, had the true respect for guys ... to see guys that don't get a chance to play very often and come out and produce on a consistent basis -- I never knew how difficult that was.

"So it's really been a great learning experience for me this year. And while it's been frustrating as a competitor to not be in there as much as I want to be in there, it's been kind of cool to let go of my ego this year and say, 'Hey, this is about the team.'"

The Warriors are nonetheless expected to aggressively explore the trade market for Lee in conjunction with the NBA draft on June 25 and with free agency starting July 1. Sources say Golden State is determined to match any offer that comes for Green in restricted free agency and also intends to discuss a contract extension with forward Harrison Barnes, which only increases the likelihood that Lee moves on.

"I'll have chances from here. It's not like I'm trying to prove to people that I'm able to play this game," Lee told ESPN Radio after Game 1. "Everybody knows that I'm capable. But it's been kind of cool to put the ego aside and say, 'Hey, this is about something bigger than me.' There was always the talk when I was in New York that I was a guy that could put up numbers but couldn't help the team win ... [that] it was all about me and not the team.

"A lot of guys that are on bad teams that put up big numbers kind of have that rap and that's not what I want to be known as. I want to be known as a great teammate and a great competitor. So I think I've proven that this year. That my attitude hasn't changed the entire season. I've been ready."

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13099978/david-lee-likely-return-golden-state-warriors-sources

Knicks should jump be all over this.

D. Lee and Warriors 1st Rd(30th pick) for Calderon.

goingfor28
06-17-2015, 08:01 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=893567

lamzoka
06-17-2015, 08:12 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=893567

My bad.

Mods merge please

lakerboy
06-17-2015, 08:29 PM
At this point any GSW players can ask anything they want and will get away with it.

mudvayne387
06-17-2015, 09:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13099978/david-lee-likely-return-golden-state-warriors-sources

Knicks should jump be all over this.

D. Lee and Warriors 1st Rd(30th pick) for Calderon.

Waiting for people to flame this, but it really could be a possibility. GS would free up 8 million for next season. Yes the Knicks would be taking on more salary, but only for one season. He would be very effective in the triangle and the Knicks could use all the picks they can get.

sf-fanatic
06-18-2015, 02:18 AM
No thanks on Calderon. Makes too much at 7 mil for 2 more years and have Livingston to run the second unit. Would prefer to take expirings or a big.

Gander13SM
06-18-2015, 02:28 AM
What would the Warriors do with Calderon? Livingston is a better player at this point (if it was prime Toronto Calderon then maybe).

They will probably want another big or an extra shooter.

LRPG
06-18-2015, 03:07 AM
Is the Celtics looking for a Power Foward to replace Brandon Bass and wanting to stocking up on draft picks and a young asset well looking at Boston's salary we can send David Lee, 2015 1st Round Draft Pick and Justin Holiday for Evan Turner. As much as I don't wanna let go off Justin Holiday he got potential and the only way I can see this trade breaking down. The sign Ed Davis with our MLE offseason boom done still more stacked than unlimited pancakes at Ihop.

PG: Curry/ Livingston
SG: Thompson/ Iggy
SF: Barnes/ Turner
PF: Green/ Davis
C: Bogut/ Speights

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-18-2015, 11:52 AM
We had this discussion over at the Bucks trade idea thread. Even if #30 is tossed in, not much of a incentive to do it. Bucks could eat his salary out right. Also have to remember has to be draft night or before trade. Cause Warriors if are dangling #30 has to select for the other team. Any team with cap that can eat Lee would have to be in a hurry or thinks they strike out spending it other wise.

Since free agency is after the draft. I could see 76ers doing it for #30 or a bunch of second rounder's then re-flip him trade deadline. Maybe Knicks if they miss out on everyone. Lakers maybe as well. But still I think most teams wanna test free agent waters first. If someone jumps for a trade early most likely wont eat Lee entirely without something going back.

torocan
06-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Not surprising.

Now that Lee has a ring, he's going to be looking for the money while he still has decent market value.

He might not be good enough to lead a team anywhere, but he's good enough to be an impact player on a lottery team or mid level play off team. And who knows, with the right coach he might actually become a better defender.

Vinylman
06-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Not surprising.

Now that Lee has a ring, he's going to be looking for the money while he still has decent market value.

He might not be good enough to lead a team anywhere, but he's good enough to be an impact player on a lottery team or mid level play off team. And who knows, with the right coach he might actually become a better defender.

He is gonna be 33 after his contract is up... probably won't be much more than an MLE guy after that ... the only good news for him is that the cap goes up so much next year.

It is definitely gonna take a number one pick to get rid of him if the Dubs don't take any money back

IBleedPurple
06-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Sixers? Noel and Lee would make a hell of a frontcourt.That would help them win games, which goes against their beliefs.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-18-2015, 01:05 PM
That would help them win games, which goes against their beliefs.They would want #30 or bunch of second rounders. Then later re-flip Lee again for worse contracts and more picks. Maybe to Celtics for Wallace and a pick?

torocan
06-18-2015, 01:05 PM
He is gonna be 33 after his contract is up... probably won't be much more than an MLE guy after that ... the only good news for him is that the cap goes up so much next year.

It is definitely gonna take a number one pick to get rid of him if the Dubs don't take any money back

I think he'll do considerably better than the MLE. I wouldn't be surprised if he commands somewhere in the $10M range, especially with the cap going up.

Remember, he's a former all star and there are a lot of teams that will need to hit the cap minimums. He's also a veteran player from a championship team who's shown that he's a team player.

Younger teams and some small market teams will pay more for that veteran experience combined with all-star pedigree.

diu9leilomo
06-18-2015, 01:40 PM
steve kerr will make calderon kerr 2.0