PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't one team just buy a bunch of draft picks?

Clippersfan86
06-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Every draft we see a few teams buy a draft pick for "cash considerations". Why don't owners buy like 4 or 5? Or even buy a 1st rounder with cash?? I'd think this would be common for owners like Allen/Ballmer especially who are worth so many billions.

Vinylman
06-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Every draft we see a few teams buy a draft pick for "cash considerations". Why don't owners buy like 4 or 5? Or even buy a 1st rounder with cash?? I'd think this would be common for owners like Allen/Ballmer especially who are worth so many billions.

because you can't anymore... the new CBA killed that... I think they can only spend like $3 million a year in all deals...

this was a tool the lakers always used in trades because other teams were so poor in addition to buying picks

Clippersfan86
06-17-2015, 02:59 PM
because you can't anymore... the new CBA killed that... I think they can only spend like $3 million a year in all deals...

this was a tool the lakers always used in trades because other teams were so poor in addition to buying picks

Ohhh. Somehow I missed this change. Thanks man.

Bruno
06-17-2015, 03:02 PM

Pretty sure LAL sent $1.7M to Washington for the pick that became Jordan Clarkson, which is more than what he's getting paid. i didn't know there was a cap either.

Vinylman
06-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Pretty sure LAL sent $1.7M to Washington for the pick that became Jordan Clarkson, which is more than what he's getting paid. i didn't know there was a cap either.

they did send that to wash which is why they were limited this year on the cash they could use in other deals.

I didn't mean that you can't do it ... just that you can't get a ton of picks which is the topic

Rush
06-17-2015, 06:53 PM

Closing because here's the answer.