PDA

View Full Version : Jerry West Does it again?

JasonJohnHorn
06-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Jerry West was already officially the greatest GM ever.

Now... there is no way any GM could hope to touch him.

I realize he isn't the 'GM' for the Warriors, but since he's come to the team as a 'head consultant', they were able to bring in Klay, Barnes, Green, and Festus Ezeli through the draft, all of whom had significant contributions to the team and helped bring them to the next level, and two of whom were picked 30th or later.

I don't mean to take away from what the Warriors current GM has pulled off, because he's doing a great job, but it just seems that where ever West goes as an executive, he pulls off magic.

He put together the Magic/Kareem/Worhty Lakers and kept them stocked up with amazing late first and second round picks (Soctt, Green, Divac). Then he built the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. The Lakers then used Kobe as a center piece for their next championship run with Kobe/Gasol, and now he's helped the Warrior win their first title in 40 years, and though I don't mean to jnx anything, given how young their roster is, these guys are in position to make a run like the Bulls did from 90-98. I mean, Steph Curry won his first title a year a head of Jordan!

Not to mention the fact that West also helped turn the Grizzlies, who were a laughing stock, into a 50 win team in two seasons.

You look through the list of guys he drafted, and you are going to be hard pressed to find instances where he didn't pick the best available player in the draft (other than the 86 draft, which is the only one where he really dropped the ball).

I'm just in awe of the way in which this guy can transform a franchise. There will never be another GM like him.

xnick5757
06-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Nope he went 1-9 in the Finals

PhillyFaninLA
06-17-2015, 11:32 AM
This topic has nothing to do with reason Laker fans in general are considered elitist and why so many people hate the Lakers.

Nope not at all.

I hope the other Laker fans are happy with you

PhillyFaninLA
06-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Just curious OP, why did you make this thread? What did you hope to accomplish? What good do you think will come from saying this?

KG2TB
06-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm guessing the OP did it because he's impressed with west and wants to hear others opinions if they agree with him? Going out on a limb there...

8kobe24
06-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Just curious OP, why did you make this thread? What did you hope to accomplish? What good do you think will come from saying this?

The Logo is GOAT in engineering championship teams.

Scoots
06-17-2015, 12:34 PM
I wish we could get to read his scouting reports on players.

Wade n Fade
06-17-2015, 12:37 PM
I think he is being overstated here. Where was he in Memphis in terms of building a title contender? Memphis didn't hit the WCF until he left. Riley is a better architect. I think RC Bufford is too.

Vinylman
06-17-2015, 01:26 PM
West was great but you are giving him credit for things he didn't realy do

he coached kareem ... wasn't the gm when the trade went down..

we was a scout when Magic was drafted..

not sure if he was the GM when worthy was drafted because he became the GM before the 82/83 season and worthy went #1 in the 82 draft...

Big Zo
06-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Wasn't Red Auerbach the best GM ever?

Bruno
06-17-2015, 03:06 PM
This topic has nothing to do with reason Laker fans in general are considered elitist and why so many people hate the Lakers.

Nope not at all.

exactly, so why are you brining it up?

this is about West as a GM.

5ass
06-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Curry- drafted 7th (after 4 guards)
Thompson- drafted 11th projected as a great one dimensional player (Belinelli type)
Green- 2nd round pick
Barnes-7th pick at only 23 years old.
Bout- gotten off a salary dump
Iggy- signed in FA as he started to decline physically
Lee-Signed and traded (overpaid at the time, and still overpaid), considered by many as a player that doesn't have a huge impact on games
Ezell-2nd round pick
Livingston- basically on a new team every year.
Barbosa-struggled to find playing time the past years.
Kerr- Rookie head coach

Now champs. Genius.

lol, please
06-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Jerry West was already officially the greatest GM ever.

Now... there is no way any GM could hope to touch him.

I realize he isn't the 'GM' for the Warriors, but since he's come to the team as a 'head consultant', they were able to bring in Klay, Barnes, Green, and Festus Ezeli through the draft, all of whom had significant contributions to the team and helped bring them to the next level, and two of whom were picked 30th or later.

I don't mean to take away from what the Warriors current GM has pulled off, because he's doing a great job, but it just seems that where ever West goes as an executive, he pulls off magic.

He put together the Magic/Kareem/Worhty Lakers and kept them stocked up with amazing late first and second round picks (Soctt, Green, Divac). Then he built the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. The Lakers then used Kobe as a center piece for their next championship run with Kobe/Gasol, and now he's helped the Warrior win their first title in 40 years, and though I don't mean to jnx anything, given how young their roster is, these guys are in position to make a run like the Bulls did from 90-98. I mean, Steph Curry won his first title a year a head of Jordan!

Not to mention the fact that West also helped turn the Grizzlies, who were a laughing stock, into a 50 win team in two seasons.

You look through the list of guys he drafted, and you are going to be hard pressed to find instances where he didn't pick the best available player in the draft (other than the 86 draft, which is the only one where he really dropped the ball).

I'm just in awe of the way in which this guy can transform a franchise. There will never be another GM like him.

Another "I told you so" moment from lol, P. :clap:

I called this as soon as it became official - Jerry West will take us to the top, and it took 5 years to win a title, 2 years to return to the playoffs.

This is the second prediction I am most proud of, second only to predicting the 2011 9ers season.

You couldn't wipe the smile from my face right now. What an experience! What makes it even better is the satisfaction of Curry and Lee who have been here the longest, and the fact that we could easily repeat, even threepeat.

Vinylman
06-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Curry- drafted 7th (after 4 guards)
Thompson- drafted 11th projected as a great one dimensional player (Belinelli type)
Green- 2nd round pick
Barnes-7th pick at only 23 years old.
Bout- gotten off a salary dump
Iggy- signed in FA as he started to decline physically
Lee-Signed and traded (overpaid at the time, and still overpaid), considered by many as a player that doesn't have a huge impact on games
Ezell-2nd round pick
Livingston- basically on a new team every year.
Barbosa-struggled to find playing time the past years.
Kerr- Rookie head coach

Now champs. Genius.

Are you implying he did all of that?

He had nothing to do with Curry or Lee...

Also... if you are gonna count Kerr you gotta blame him for jackson

5ass
06-17-2015, 04:02 PM

No I'm just admiring their team. Blame him for Jackson? Jackson helped curry, Thompson and green become the defenders they are today.

JasonJohnHorn
06-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Nope not at all.

Do you really think a Lakers fan would have Ben Wallace in his sig?

JasonJohnHorn
06-17-2015, 04:06 PM

Blame him for Jackson? What is to blame him on that for? Jackson had a great pedigree to coach, and he helped the team improve every year.

I don't get why people are saying Jackson did a bad job coaching. This Warriors teams wasn't as good as they were a year ago. They did better because young players improve each season, and they have a core of young players.

The Warriors had their three best since the 70's with Jackson.

Vinylman
06-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Blame him for Jackson? What is to blame him on that for? Jackson had a great pedigree to coach, and he helped the team improve every year.

I don't get why people are saying Jackson did a bad job coaching. This Warriors teams wasn't as good as they were a year ago. They did better because young players improve each season, and they have a core of young players.

The Warriors had their three best since the 70's with Jackson.

i was only referencing in the context of him giving West credit for Kerr...

However, if you think that team wins this year with Jackson as the head coach you are kidding yourself