PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kerr

effen5
06-17-2015, 06:50 AM
Steve Kerr has to be the luckiest person in the world.

He got to play with the greatest players in the world.
Mj
Scottie pippen
Dennis Rodman
Mark price
Tim duncan
David Robinson

Got to be coached by Lenny Wilkens, Phil Jackson, and pops.

Got to play on two phenomenal teams in the last 25 years including the 72-10 Bulls.

Scored the game winner to win a title in 97.

One of a handful of players to win back to back titles on different teams...bulls 98 and spurs 99

First head coach to win 67 games as a rookie

Was offered to coach to a stacked team.

And won a title in his rookie year as a coach

This guy now has 6 rings. 5 as a player and 1 as a coach. Just incredible.

JasonJohnHorn
06-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Still one less than Robert Horry ;-)

Yes, he's been lucky, but he's always put himself in a position to be successful, and that is 90% of the battle.

He never had ego playing anywhere, he knew what his role was. He played into the team. Listened to his coaches. Absorbed what they said.

Those are things that a lot of people in similar situations don't do.

Look at McGrady, who was far more gifted. Had he stayed in TO he would have also played with Wilkens on a deep run. He was in Orlando with Doc, another great coach, and had a chance to play with a prime Dwight but passed because he didn't want to wait for him to develop. Just as an example.

Kerr has always known how to make the most out of a situation. He deserves props for that.

Avenged
06-17-2015, 09:44 AM
:laugh2: all of a sudden everything having to do with GSW is luck.

kubernetes
06-17-2015, 10:01 AM
The dude's dad was assassinated by Hezbollah when he was in college. Maybe his good luck is a bit of karmic payback for the really bad things he had to suffer.

omdigga
06-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Have to give him credit. Legler said it best on espn this morning, its not easy making a good team into a championship team. He took them to the next level. I didnt think the dubs would hold up in the playoffs, but they are much tougher than I gave them credit for.

cmellofan15
06-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Making it onto an nba team isn't luck.
Getting an nba coaching job isn't luck.

let's not start downplaying his accomplishments as luck now, because if we're lucky we still will never play on or coach a championship team.

JasonJohnHorn
06-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Making it onto an nba team isn't luck.
Getting an nba coaching job isn't luck.

let's not start downplaying his accomplishments as luck now, because if we're lucky we still will never play on or coach a championship team.

There are any number of coaches who are AMAZING and still need to be lucky in order to win. I mean... the draft is a lottery system after all.

To recognize the degree of good fortune Kerr had is not to say he hasn't earned what he has accomplished. The Warriors could have just as easily opted for keep Jackson for one more year. The Knicks might have started out with a higher offer and Kerr might have signed there. There IS luck at play here.

You put in the work to put yourself in a position to win, and then you have to rely on luck. One missed call by an official. One weird bounce on the rim. These things can determine who we see as a champion, and who we see as a loser. People don't want to admit it, but luck is a HUGE part of sports and it is a huge part of life.

Kerr earned this 100%, but he's also been very lucky in terms of his professional career.

Allphakenny1
06-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Could have had a championship in Phoenix if Horry did not hockey check Nash into the announcers table and two players got suspended for leaving the bench.

8kobe24
06-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Lucky or destined? Anyway, I rather be lucky than not.

Scoots
06-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Steve Kerr career playoff 3 pointers made 85
Steph Curry 2015 playoff 3 pointers made 98

Kerr, one of the best shooters of his generation got to coach the best ever.

5ass
06-17-2015, 03:58 PM
The dude's dad was assassinated by Hezbollah when he was in college. Maybe his good luck is a bit of karmic payback for the really bad things he had to suffer.

God rest his dads soul, a man too good for this world.

KnicksorBust
06-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Still one less than Robert Horry ;-)

Yes, he's been lucky, but he's always put himself in a position to be successful, and that is 90% of the battle.

He never had ego playing anywhere, he knew what his role was. He played into the team. Listened to his coaches. Absorbed what they said.

Those are things that a lot of people in similar situations don't do.

Look at McGrady, who was far more gifted. Had he stayed in TO he would have also played with Wilkens on a deep run. He was in Orlando with Doc, another great coach, and had a chance to play with a prime Dwight but passed because he didn't want to wait for him to develop. Just as an example.

Kerr has always known how to make the most out of a situation. He deserves props for that.

Great post!! All started with him standing up to MJ and getting punched in the face. The punch that changed history.

effen5
06-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Oh I'm aware. There was a game in college right after his dad was assassinated where the college fans tormented him. It was just disgusting.

I'm a long term bulls fan and kerr has been my favorite player outside of jordan. The reason he was my favorite is because he's not the biggest, he's not the strongest, but he's a stone cold killer when he needs to be. 97 finals for one. 03 spurs vs mavs for two.

I might be one of 10 people who actually bought a kerr jersey in 96 lol. I still remember begging my mom to get me one when I was 11.

Seriously I'm just amazed at his career as a player, as a broadcaster, and now as a coach.

xbrackattackx
06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Oh I'm aware. There was a game in college right after his dad was assassinated where the college fans tormented him. It was just disgusting.

I'm a long term bulls fan and kerr has been my favorite player outside of jordan. The reason he was my favorite is because he's not the biggest, he's not the strongest, but he's a stone cold killer when he needs to be. 97 finals for one. 03 spurs vs mavs for two.

I might be one of 10 people who actually bought a kerr jersey in 96 lol. I still remember begging my mom to get me one when I was 11.

Seriously I'm just amazed at his career as a player, as a broadcaster, and now as a coach.

Dude! That first part is beyond Fuqd. Humans are cruel, I am disgusted by our society regularly. I remembered his dad was murdered, never knew it was by an assassination. That is awful. Glad Kerr got stronger from it and never let it slow him down or felt sorry for himself. Kudos!

ManningToTyree
06-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Sure he has been put in (or put himself in) great circumstances but you still need to perform. Gotta give credit where it is due. He was a good role player and he has a chance to have an exceptional coaching career. Off to a great start.

BKLYNpigeon
06-18-2015, 10:45 AM
a couple more rings as a coach, and Kerr can probably make it to the HOF.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-18-2015, 11:17 AM
He deserves every ounce of credit he has been getting. His team won 67 games and won a championship without ever having to go to a 7th game. No excuses, the guy deserves his due. Stop acting like the Warriors would have done this with any other coach. They were the 6th seed in the West last year with virtually the same team. I get it that certain players developed this year, but that is exactly what happens when you have a great coach. Yeah I said it... a great coach... not a good coach. Was Curry the MVP of the league before Kerr got there? Was Klay an Allstar? How about Draymond Green and Barnes? Speights? List goes on and on. Average players play well under great coaches and good players play great under great coaches. Great players become elite. Its like giving Phil Jackson or Popovich no credit for their coaching accomplishments. Its assanine is what it is.

67 freakin wins and a championship after taking over a 6 seeded, 51 win team that got ousted in the first round the year before. And the best part of it all might be that he did it in a way that we have never seen before. No consistent offense in the paint from a big and a high volume of 3 pointers with a lot of small ball.

I'm not even a Warriors fan, but if there is one guy who deserves credit for this, it is Steve freakin Kerr.

Suck it haters.

tredigs
06-18-2015, 11:50 AM
This guy - as a rookie HC new to the organization - benched the Warriors highest paid player because he thought it was the right decision. He benched our starting center and defensive juggernaut the entire Final two games of the NBA Finals. He has balls of steel (see: 1997 NBA Finals series clincher) and trusts his instincts + assistants. Not a new phenomena for him, either. Jordan talks about how much respect he earned for him after they traded blows in Bulls practice in '95 when MJ was trying to push around the guy who had only been there 2 months. He really does deserve all the credit he gets. His success is not a fluke.

effen5
06-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Since the bulls front office are full of ego maniac idiots and I don't see a title in the near future I hope kerr and gsw go on a dynasty

kovacs22
06-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Kerr is awesome and lucky. But you have to be "prepared" for luck to present itself. He worked hard to be where he's at. He wanted to coach and tried hard for it. Without that basis, luck turns to a loss of opportunity.

rapjuicer06
06-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Great post!! All started with him standing up to MJ and getting punched in the face. The punch that changed history.

I don't think I've heard this story. Can someone enlighten me?

effen5
06-18-2015, 02:44 PM
I don't think I've heard this story. Can someone enlighten me?
During practice it got so competitive to the point where Mj punched kerr in the face.

Phil kicked Mj out of practice and sent him home. Mj called kerr later that evening to apologize. I think that is the moment where Mj really respected kerr.

MrfadeawayJB
06-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Soon enough everyone will see that Alvin gentry was the real brains behind the operation. Pels are about to take off under his guidance.

sep11ie
06-19-2015, 10:50 AM

He nailed like 6 or 7 threes that game too.

Scoots
06-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Soon enough everyone will see that Alvin gentry was the real brains behind the operation. Pels are about to take off under his guidance.

No. The real brains are from everybody working together and that environment is fostered by Kerr. Gentry was a great offensive coach, but he's too nice ... so it's good Erman (another ex Warrior) is his assistant head coach for the Pels as he's a great defensive coach.

I kind of want the Warriors to get Mike D'Antoni to replace Gentry.