PDA

View Full Version : Denver Nuggets to hire Mike Malone

qwerty123
06-15-2015, 08:16 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--michael-malone-reaches-agreement-to-coach-nuggets-174036769.html

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13083377/denver-nuggets-hire-mike-malone-new-coach

Didn't really expect this, Thoughts?

Chronz
06-15-2015, 08:35 PM
All the great defensive minds are getting head coaching jobs, this is why defense is becoming such a priority these days.

cmellofan15
06-16-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm really excited for this hire. hopefully he can get Faried and Lawson to step up as defenders on this team. maybe that Cousins for Lawson trade could even come to fruition hahaha

Hawkeye15
06-16-2015, 12:57 PM
All the great defensive minds are getting head coaching jobs, this is why defense is becoming such a priority these days.

but the defenses now are soft and the players now couldn't handle the 90's, remember?

Scoots
06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
but the defenses now are soft and the players now couldn't handle the 90's, remember?

Rules changed and defenses are just now adjusting back. The fast and long and switch everything scheme is looking like a trend, and it's not soft, it's just not as physically abusing as defenses used to be.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Rules changed and defenses are just now adjusting back. The fast and long and switch everything scheme is looking like a trend, and it's not soft, it's just not as physically abusing as defenses used to be.

it's actually more physical than it used to be, you just don't see the big hits. Defenses today are better than yesterday.

cmellofan15
06-16-2015, 02:42 PM
op, you didn't expect this?

I guess I could understand that from a pov of someone who doesn't follow denver. but we met with him on more occasions than the other guys combined.

JLynn943
06-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Great move. The Kings firing him was an awful decision. He's a great coach who is going to get a lot out of his players.

Scoots
06-16-2015, 03:31 PM
it's actually more physical than it used to be, you just don't see the big hits. Defenses today are better than yesterday.

I don't think so, I don't think most people think so.

Sadds The Gr8
06-16-2015, 03:34 PM

I don't know about being more physical, but it's definitely better

lol, please
06-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Championship?

lol, please
06-16-2015, 03:54 PM

"better" can be argued, but more physical? Laughable.

Hawkeye15
06-16-2015, 04:00 PM

sure they are. Compared to today, the paint was wide open in the 80's and 90's. Sure you took a risk going at the Knicks, Heat, or Pistons in the 90's that you might get your head ripped off, but the ability to wall off the paint like you can today was never there. Defenses also didn't have to deal with the need for your team to be able to extend its defense to every inch of the three point line, the shot wasn't utilized nearly as much in the 80's, and 90's. Much more isolation, dump it into the box, etc. That is way easier to guard. Offenses now no longer have the paint open to get to the rim like they used to.

5ass
06-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Doesn't matter. They're going to blow it up soon, and rebuild. They have to.

BallIsAll
06-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Doesn't matter. They're going to blow it up soon, and rebuild. They have to.

They should and I hope so. The only players I wouldn't trade are Nurkic, Harris, Barton and Gallo.

Scoots
06-16-2015, 05:54 PM
sure they are. Compared to today, the paint was wide open in the 80's and 90's. Sure you took a risk going at the Knicks, Heat, or Pistons in the 90's that you might get your head ripped off, but the ability to wall off the paint like you can today was never there. Defenses also didn't have to deal with the need for your team to be able to extend its defense to every inch of the three point line, the shot wasn't utilized nearly as much in the 80's, and 90's. Much more isolation, dump it into the box, etc. That is way easier to guard. Offenses now no longer have the paint open to get to the rim like they used to.

It's true that defense is harder to play today, but by rule there is less contact ... a lot less. Now pretty much any time two players bang into each other and one of them ends up on the floor it's a foul on someone. I remember Benoit Benjamin flipping Sarunas Marciulionis over his own head and then throwing him to the ground and the only call was a jump ball. Hand checking, locked arms, forearms, snake bites were all not only common, they were considered "good defense" 20 years ago. 20 years ago there were several teams with "no layups" rules where going into the paint was taking your life in your hands.

Defense is maybe better now, but if this is "more physical" it doesn't fit my definition of "physical".

Hawkeye15
06-16-2015, 05:57 PM
It's true that defense is harder to play today, but by rule there is less contact ... a lot less. Now pretty much any time two players bang into each other and one of them ends up on the floor it's a foul on someone. I remember Benoit Benjamin flipping Sarunas Marciulionis over his own head and then throwing him to the ground and the only call was a jump ball. Hand checking, locked arms, forearms, snake bites were all not only common, they were considered "good defense" 20 years ago. 20 years ago there were several teams with "no layups" rules where going into the paint was taking your life in your hands.

Defense is maybe better now, but if this is "more physical" it doesn't fit my definition of "physical".

Like I said, don't confuse big hits with more physicality.

The rule changes have actually helped defenses get better to some degree. So has the evolution of the game. Scouting now has so much more analytical information to use, not just notes from tape.

People act as if there was always contact in the 80's and 90's. Why was the paint wide open? Why did wings get to the rim with ease? Sure there were many times nasty hits on the finish, but it was a whole lot easier getting to the rim.

cmellofan15
06-16-2015, 06:13 PM
They should and I hope so. The only players I wouldn't trade are Nurkic, Harris, Barton and Gallo.

you wouldn't trade gallinari? why not?

qwerty123
06-16-2015, 06:41 PM
op, you didn't expect this?

I guess I could understand that from a pov of someone who doesn't follow denver. but we met with him on more occasions than the other guys combined.

I wasn't expecting it because it seemed Connelly was saying we were going back to the run and gun style so I was surprised when they hired a defensive minded coach even though they had brought him in for a second interview. Any way I've become increasingly excited about the hiring.

BallIsAll
06-17-2015, 12:24 AM
you wouldn't trade gallinari? why not?

Not saying he's a superstar but you must keep a veteran on the roster that has some history with the team. Also he has shown that when healthy he could hit the important shots ..