PDA

View Full Version : Why do old guys win?

sheesh
06-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Anyone else ever really notice this? It seems most of the teams that wins rings are always the ones with the grizzled veterans. It's seems the young guys always hang with the best in the regular season and put up numbers.

But push comes to shove it's always the old guys with trophy in their locker room at the end of the year.

KnicksorBust
06-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Are you sure you want to make this thread when in under a week this whole topic could look dead wrong?

Big Zo
06-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Experience helps...

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Are you sure you want to make this thread when in under a week this whole topic could look dead wrong?

to be fair it's happened often in other recent years though. this is just one year.

sheesh
06-14-2015, 01:02 PM

Warriors are't old, but they aren't exactly young either. Curry is 27 and polished. Iguadola has been arguably their most important player in the series thus far and he's been around for a while.

Mr_Jones
06-14-2015, 01:04 PM
Intelligence and experience can often defeat youth and athleticism.

I grew up playing in a league with older guys who had very little athleticism but could shoot the ball like nobody's business. They would pick their shots well and we actually won by 80 points several times. Never seen anything like that.

JasonJohnHorn
06-14-2015, 03:55 PM
People learn from their mistakes. They know how to pace themselves for a full 48 minutes, and they don't make the stupid fouls. You watch an older Rasheed Wallace go against Dwight... he had Dwight's number ever time. Teams were chasing after Sheed just so they could have him for the playoffs. You play a long time, you learn what works and what doesn't. Playoffs roll around, it helps.

One of the things that made Kerr so great this year is that he only played Curry 32 minutes a game. He was getting 38 and 36 under Jackson the last two years. Kerr is teaching these kids to pace themselves. So I expect that they will do better than some other young guys, and I still have the picked to win the series, but yeah... having all those years of experience helps.

That said... outside of James, Smith, Jones, Perkins and Miller, the Cavs are inexperienced. And Perk, Jones and Miller aren't playing big roles, and Smith doesn't have as much playoff experience as some guys his age. He had one deep run in Denver and an appearance in the second round with New York. This is only the third time he's been passed the first round. Compare that to LBJ, who has over a 100 more playoff games than Smith and has only played one more season.

Jamiecballer
06-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Anyone else ever really notice this? It seems most of the teams that wins rings are always the ones with the grizzled veterans. It's seems the young guys always hang with the best in the regular season and put up numbers.

But push comes to shove it's always the old guys with trophy in their locker room at the end of the year.
You can't enter the league with 10 years of knowing what it takes to be a professional. Notable exceptions being Duncan and James.

LakersIn5
06-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Because veterans always signs with contenders.

lol, please
06-15-2015, 04:10 PM

Experience and leadership are huge intangibles to have. "young" and "old" are also subjective. A scrub prepubescent might call me old, but I am a stallion in my prime at 30, and he is a child to me. Likewise an OG who is 65 would consider me a child and himself a patriarch.

Being young and athletic only gets you so far, but the intelligence, the decision making, the ability to make adjustments and recognize certain nuances comes with time and experience, if ever.