PDA

View Full Version : Embiid or Okafor?

More-Than-Most
06-11-2015, 05:13 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2364309-prospect-vs-player-would-you-rather-have-jahlil-okafor-or-joel-embiid

Here is a good read on the breakdowns.... Who do you think will be better and who do you think has more potential.... I was having this discussion in the lakers forum and in terms of Bigs I am not a fan of OKA.... That being said I am not a moron either the kid can play. In terms of bigs I have it

Embid

Towns

Noel/Oka
Oka/Noel

I looked around and most in all forums have this as well but we have never had the discussion here.... I think Embid by far has the most potential since a James/Durant in terms of how high their ceilings are as a general player. I think Towns/Noel/Oka are the safer picks because as great as Embid can be he can also fall victim to injuries.... Most in the lakers forum seem to disagree and think Oka->All.

PhillyFaninLA
06-11-2015, 05:27 AM
Embiid....we need 2 starting guards and I want to see what Embiid becomes. I want to believe his knees will be structurally sound but either way we need guards more than bigs

I really want to see Saric, Noles, Embiid...I think that has potential to be something

PhillyFaninLA
06-11-2015, 05:28 AM
I want to add that I think Okafer is a safer bet to be a star or superstar but I think Embiid if he is healthy and the real deal could be an all time guy even if healthy does he want to be special.

Jayb587
06-11-2015, 05:36 AM
towns will end up the best of the 3 and noel will end up in 4th place

IKnowHoops
06-11-2015, 05:45 AM
I like Embiid better. I like all of them though. I love Noel and think he is going to be a force. He is starting to fill out and once he gets his man body he's going to wreak havoc on the court. I love what the 76ers are shaping up into. Haters gonna be hating so hard on them in like 2 years

Jayb587
06-11-2015, 06:08 AM
I like Embiid better. I like all of them though. I love Noel and think he is going to be a force. He is starting to fill out and once he gets his man body he's going to wreak havoc on the court. I love what the 76ers are shaping up into. Haters gonna be hating so hard on them in like 2 years

yea they should be ok in a couple of years but towns still going to be that dude. embiid over oak tho, and noel is better than advertised, but towns, oak, and embiid look like all stars

ManRam
06-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Embiid by a decent margin. If he can stay healthy (and I'm not panicking about that yet) he's a much better all-around prospect. I'd gamble on him over Okafor.

Sadds The Gr8
06-11-2015, 10:46 AM
I like Embiid the most, but unlike manram I am panicking about his injuries. Just too much smoke there

Raps18-19 Champ
06-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Embiid has the higher potential but his bust potential is just as high.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 04:33 PM
He isn't close to Oak on offense. Oak is a better offensive player right now being 2 years younger. Embiid hasn't played in over a year had foot and back problems. He is raw and he can't fix raw if he isn't on the court.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Lol at Embiid having the most potential since a James/Durant in terms of how high their ceilings are as a general player

GREATNESS ONE
06-11-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm taking Okafor.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Embiid's post potential is higher than Okafor's. Okafor is just more polished and more likely to be achieved.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Embiid's post potential is higher than Okafor's. Okafor is just more polished and more likely to be achieved.

No, it isn't. Not even close. Embiid is raw in the post at 21, Oak would be one of the better post players in the NBA at 19.

Bostonjorge
06-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Are we taking who's better today or what they ever done? Okafor and towns are way above embiid from what we seen so far. Embiid showed to be a elite shot blocker everthing else is just what we think he can become. He hasn't showed he can lead a offense or get you a basket when needed. He shown some basic post moves and everyone got excited because it's a lost art. Okafor showed better post play since he was 14 years old.

Okafor has league MVP potential. Can lead the league in scoring and be on many all NBA teams. He's Duncan's clone for a reason.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Embiid had a fracture to the navicular bone in his foot. This isn't a Jones fracture. It made Yao retire after he got it twice in 2 years.

Teeboy1487
06-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Potential no question goes to Embiid. He has elite athleticism, elite length, and actually can shoot outside of the paint. DPOY written all over him. The injuries are a concern but I think he can bounce back. Okafor is also an amazing prospect and the best post big I've seen come into the league in a long time. He will command double teams from day 1. However, I do think Embiid is more Raw than Okafor. It will take him more years to develop and he just started playing basketball not long ago.

SeoulBeatz
06-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Are we taking who's better today or what they ever done? Okafor and towns are way above embiid from what we seen so far. Embiid showed to be a elite shot blocker everthing else is just what we think he can become. He hasn't showed he can lead a offense or get you a basket when needed. He shown some basic post moves and everyone got excited because it's a lost art. Okafor showed better post play since he was 14 years old.

Okafor has league MVP potential. Can lead the league in scoring and be on many all NBA teams. He's Duncan's clone for a reason.

i like okafor, but Duncan is not the right comparison.

5ass
06-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Potential no question goes to Embiid. He has elite athleticism, elite length, and actually can shoot outside of the paint. DPOY written all over him. The injuries are a concern but I think he can bounce back. Okafor is also an amazing prospect and the best post big I've seen come into the league in a long time. He will command double teams from day 1. However, I do think Embiid is more Raw than Okafor. It will take him more years to develop and he just started playing basketball not long ago.

I agree with this guy.

So when we vote are we assuming both stay healthy or considering injury concerns?

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 06:08 PM
I agree with this guy.

So when we vote are we assuming both stay healthy or considering injury concerns?

Whole package. Injuries included.

DillyDill
06-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Green Ranger i also want 2 know where you're getting this from "Embid by far has the most potential since a James/Durant in terms of how high their ceilings are as a general player."

You're the person I've seen say that.

2-ONE-5
06-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Embiid had a fracture to the navicular bone in his foot. This isn't a Jones fracture. It made Yao retire after he got it twice in 2 years.

Yao was a half foot taller and never had nearly 2 years to rest/recover

Bostonjorge
06-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Green Ranger i also want 2 know where you're getting this from "Embid by far has the most potential since a James/Durant in terms of how high their ceilings are as a general player."

You're the person I've seen say that.

Yea I never heard anyone compare embiid's potential to be that high only one person. He morphes into action to over hype embiid or explain how he wants to taste lebron.

LakerShow
06-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Right now oka is better. Oka gonna be better too, I see embiid having injury pRoblems.

DillyDill
06-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Yea I never heard anyone compare embiid's potential to be that high only one person. He morphes into action to over hype embiid or explain how he wants to taste lebron.
Exactly it's ridiculous, I love Green Ranger hell of a debater but c'mon now if anybody has Lebron/Durant potential for Alltime greatness its Ant Davis without hesitation

North Yorker
06-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Embiid is the better talent and has the highest potential by a decent margin. Will all come down to health for him.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Yao was a half foot taller and never had nearly 2 years to rest/recover

Doesn't really matter. We are still talking about a 250 plus pound 7 footer. It already happened to him once. If it happens again he is most likely done.

More-Than-Most
06-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Exactly it's ridiculous, I love Green Ranger hell of a debater but c'mon now if anybody has Lebron/Durant potential for Alltime greatness its Ant Davis without hesitation

Not when he was coming into the league. I am not saying Embid will be great I have stated nobody has more potential then him coming in outside of Durant/James... Davis was never expected to be this great nor was curry and on down the list... Embid could end up amounting to nothing at all because of health but heading into his draft he was widely known as the potential star of stars... Wiggins has enormous potential but Embid was the expected number 1 had he been healthy.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Not when he was coming into the league. I am not saying Embid will be great I have stated nobody has more potential then him coming in outside of Durant/James... Davis was never expected to be this great nor was curry and on down the list... Embid could end up amounting to nothing at all because of health but heading into his draft he was widely known as the potential star of stars... Wiggins has enormous potential but Embid was the expected number 1 had he been healthy.

Coming into the year it was Wiggins Parker and Randle. Embiid showed some defense and cordination and got into the conversation. He still didn't put it together in college just showed flashes. And there were a bunch of reports about his bad work ethic last year during rehab. He isn't close to the James Durant potential. He is a project.

5ass
06-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Coming into the year it was Wiggins Parker and Randle. Embiid showed some defense and cordination and got into the conversation. He still didn't put it together in college just showed flashes. And there were a bunch of reports about his bad work ethic last year during rehab. He isn't close to the James Durant potential. He is a project.
Randle? No he was being compared to a zach randolph. Embiid was drawing comparisons to hakeem. Thats what he's talking about. Randle and okafor haven't even played a full NBA game and already some lakers fans are overrating them.

5ass
06-11-2015, 08:04 PM
If anything it was Exum that was put in that same tier.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Randle? No he was being compared to a zach randolph. Embiid was drawing comparisons to hakeem. Thats what he's talking about. Randle and okafor haven't even played a full NBA game and already lakers fans are overrating them.
Not in the beginning of the College year last year. Oak isn't even on the Lakers. I would still take Oak or Towns over Embiid. Only reason Embiid was compared to Hakeem was because he was tall, played soccer, started basketball late and flashed some post moves

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 08:12 PM
If anything it was Exum that was put in that same tier.

Him and Aaron Gordon picked up late hype for nothing. Probably the biggest 2 reaches of the class last year.

5ass
06-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Him and Aaron Gordon picked up late hype for nothing. Probably the biggest 2 reaches of the class last year.

That is yet to be determined. They can end up better than randle for all we know. Exum had a tough rookie season. Clearly his offense isnt up to expectations, but his defense can make him a solid player in this league. Again, randle was being compared to zach randolph. Gordon compared to shawn marion. Give me prime marion over randolph 10/10. Though i think marion isnt a great comparison. I think gordon will be draymond green 2.0 which i still take over randle. You also fail to mention randle's injury concerns for some reason

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 08:28 PM
That is yet to be determined. They can end up better than randle for all we know. Exum had a tough rookie season. Clearly his offense isnt up to expectations, but his defense can make him a solid player in this league. Again, randle was being compared to zach randolph. Gordon compared to shawn marion. Give me prime marion over randolph 10/10. Though i think marion isnt a great comparison. I think gordon will be draymond green 2.0 which i still take over randle. You also fail to mention randle's injury concerns for some reason
I didn't even say Randle was going to be good. Just said he was hyped up at the beginning of the College year. Gordon has bust written all over him. Can't shoot, can't create, and not the defender he was billed as in college. He is more of a Derrick Williams with better defense, but even Williams has a better offensive game. Probably end up like Wes Johnson.

2-ONE-5
06-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Doesn't really matter. We are still talking about a 250 plus pound 7 footer. It already happened to him once. If it happens again he is most likely done.

by all accounts here has been healthy and beasting 5v5's for a few months now.

bit OP is wrong (as usual) and does not reflect the thoughts of anyone else in the Sixers forum with this greatest potential since KD crap

5ass
06-11-2015, 08:34 PM
I didn't even say Randle was going to be good. Just said he was hyped up at the beginning of the College year. Gordon has bust written all over him. Can't shoot, can't create, and not the defender he was billed as in college. He is more of a Derrick Williams with better defense, but even Williams has a better offensive game. Probably end up like Wes Johnson.

Lol okay clearly you've watched gordon this year. He actually is a very good defender already and showed more promise in his offensive game than projected. Better handles and better shot than people expected. But hey you are entitled to your opinion just as long as you dont confuse it with the facts.

Teeboy1487
06-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Randle? No he was being compared to a zach randolph. Embiid was drawing comparisons to hakeem. Thats what he's talking about. Randle and okafor haven't even played a full NBA game and already some lakers fans are overrating them.
Randle was considered a top 3 prospect going into that college year out of high school. A matter of fact, he was 3rd in the ESPN 100 for the year of 2013. I think that is what Gibby meant. Not saying Randle automatically he going to be a stud. That remains to be seen and he also has to prove he can stay healthy as well. I will be honest, I thought Embiid was the best prospect in last years draft until the injuries. I watched him alot that year. He was a better prospect than Wiggins and Parker to me and would be in Cleveland right now if he did not get injured. I wanted him to fall to the Lakers so badly despite the injuries. I really hope that kid stays healthy. I like all the new and up and coming talent. The NBA will continue to be in good hands.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Lol okay clearly you've watched gordon this year. He actually is a very good defender already and showed more promise in his offensive game than projected. Better handles and better shot than people expected. But hey you are entitled to your opinion just as long as you dont confuse it with the facts.

Sure, except the fact that Shooting numbers and defensive rating and numbers say the same thing as my opinion. But don't let FACTS get in the way of your opinion.

Jarvo
06-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Oakfor >

Last thing I heard about Embiid was that he was overweight and not taking slimming down serious.

5ass
06-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Sure, except the fact that Shooting numbers and defensive rating and numbers say the same thing as my opinion. But don't let FACTS get in the way of your opinion.

Lol defensive rating ona bad defensive team. In other words you havent seen him play. I never called him a good shooter, just improving.

5ass
06-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Randle was considered a top 3 prospect going into that college year out of high school. A matter of fact, he was 3rd in the ESPN 100 for the year of 2013. I think that is what Gibby meant. Not saying Randle automatically he going to be a stud. That remains to be seen and he also has to prove he can stay healthy as well. I will be honest, I thought Embiid was the best prospect in last years draft until the injuries. I watched him alot that year. He was a better prospect than Wiggins and Parker to me and would be in Cleveland right now if he did not get injured. I wanted him to fall to the Lakers so badly despite the injuries. I really hope that kid stays healthy. I like all the new and up and coming talent. The NBA will continue to be in good hands.

They both had injury concerns though.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Lol defensive rating ona bad defensive team. In other words you havent seen him play. I never called him a good shooter, just improving.

His defensive impact was also bad. Improving from a bad shooter to a bad shooter. Lol.. great

5ass
06-11-2015, 09:19 PM
His defensive impact was also bad. Improving from a bad shooter to a bad shooter. Lol.. great

He's as old as most of these rookies coming in. Went from 42 to 72% on fts. What do you mean his defensive impact? Listen obviously defensive numbers arent conclusive even the people that invented them would agree. You're going off defensive rating on a bad defensive team where the player in question plays disciplined defense and doesnt always go for the block or steal. Anyone who watched him play knows he's already a good defender. Vaughn used him as a shut down defender at times for positions 1-4. Even defended centers well. I dont care to argue this anymore bcz obviously you didnt watch him play this season.

More-Than-Most
06-11-2015, 09:29 PM
by all accounts here has been healthy and beasting 5v5's for a few months now.

bit OP is wrong (as usual) and does not reflect the thoughts of anyone else in the Sixers forum with this greatest potential since KD crap

Ignore this guy he constantly baits me and brings nothing to any conversation at all because he is widely known as being wrong alot in the sixers forum. Please keep it on topic in general and bring weight or facts to back up opinions.

More-Than-Most
06-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Oakfor >

Last thing I heard about Embiid was that he was overweight and not taking slimming down serious.

That report was from like January and wasnt accurate... Here he is in march,

http://www.businessinsider.com/joel-embiid-dunk-videos-surfacing-2015-3

his 3 is legit.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 09:37 PM
That report was from like January and wasnt accurate... Here he is in march,

http://www.businessinsider.com/joel-embiid-dunk-videos-surfacing-2015-3

his 3 is legit.
In practice? Lol. I can shoot wide open also.

More-Than-Most
06-11-2015, 09:43 PM
In practice? Lol. I can shoot wide open also.

its practice but his shot and release are extremely nice.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 09:46 PM
its practice but his shot and release are extremely nice.

So? His post game is raw. He isn't Dirk, he is a Center. Let's see how many 3's he takes next year.

SeoulBeatz
06-11-2015, 10:02 PM

oh come on now.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 10:08 PM
oh come on now.

Ya. Lol. A little overboard.

2-ONE-5
06-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Ignore this guy he constantly baits me and brings nothing to any conversation at all because he is widely known as being wrong alot in the sixers forum. Please keep it on topic in general and bring weight or facts to back up opinions.

lol exactly what am i wrong about? you are a huge troll everywhere you post and you hate being called out when you're wrong. you are just making **** up here and everyone knows it

5ass
06-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Ya. Lol. A little overboard.

No **** lol. Even i didnt take that seriously. I think gordon will be a very good player. I honestly love his game. I was a fan of draymond green since his rookie season. I think he'll be that type of player.

Teeboy1487
06-11-2015, 10:27 PM
They both had injury concerns though.
I'm an optimist to a fault sometimes.

GREATNESS ONE
06-11-2015, 10:29 PM

😂 pot, calling the kettle black.

Bro if you're gonna talk the talk, walk the walk. You were just in our forum doing the same.

On topic, I like Embiid but I would take Okafor over all 3 bigs.

Lakers + Giants
06-11-2015, 10:32 PM
I voted Embiid. It was simple for me, would I trade the #2 pick for Embiid right now? Yes.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 10:46 PM
I voted Embiid. It was simple for me, would I trade the #2 pick for Embiid right now? Yes.

Really? He is one more foot injury away from almost being done.

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 10:50 PM
No **** lol. Even i didnt take that seriously. I think gordon will be a very good player. I honestly love his game. I was a fan of draymond green since his rookie season. I think he'll be that type of player.

Ya. I liked him last year, I thought we were going to get him because Randle would be gone. From the limited Summer league I seen from Randle and his workouts of 2 on 2 the last month I like what I see.

I think Gordon is going to be a Jack of all trades type. He will be a good defender but he needs to develop a 3 ball or his offense will be limited.

5ass
06-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Ya. I liked him last year, I thought we were going to get him because Randle would be gone. From the limited Summer league I seen from Randle and his workouts of 2 on 2 the last month I like what I see.

I think Gordon is going to be a Jack of all trades type. He will be a good defender but he needs to develop a 3 ball or his offense will be limited.

I agree. I guess the difference is i think he will imrpove that jumpshot. He's a hard worker man. On and off the court. Thats part of why i like him so much.

Iron24th
06-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Embiid is too much of a mystery, we've seen him injured more than on the court providing flashes here and there, Okafor is by far the sure bet, not even close.

More-Than-Most
06-12-2015, 01:14 AM
lol exactly what am i wrong about? you are a huge troll everywhere you post and you hate being called out when you're wrong. you are just making **** up here and everyone knows it

making stuff up? look across the internet and the post I linked... Here I will post it a few times for you so you can add anything of merit to the conversation instead of just trying to insult and annoy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2364309-prospect-vs-player-would-you-rather-have-jahlil-okafor-or-joel-embiid

You want more articles/comments and so on?

More-Than-Most
06-12-2015, 01:30 AM
I have been saying all along before the lakers have even gotten the 2nd pick that OKA is overrated and I was scared Philly would get the first pick and take him... Now all of a sudden he is tied to the lakers and now people think he is the best prospect ever. Its a joke... He is a safer pick over Embiid and could easily end up great but we are talking about potential and its not close sorry.

Gibby23
06-12-2015, 01:33 AM
I have been saying all along before the lakers have even gotten the 2nd pick that OKA is overrated and I was scared Philly would get the first pick and take him... Now all of a sudden he is tied to the lakers and now people think he is the best prospect ever. Its a joke... He is a safer pick over Embiid and could easily end up great but we are talking about potential and its not close sorry.
Ya it is. Those stupid articles you pasted also say it's close. All you have to do is wait and see next year.

You are not a good judge of potential, calling Embiid all time with James Durant. Lmao

More-Than-Most
06-12-2015, 01:41 AM
Ya it is. Those stupid articles you pasted also say it's close. All you have to do is wait and see next year.

You are not a good judge of potential, calling Embiid all time with James Durant. Lmao

Dunno... Was spot on about most of the sixers picks and have the posts to prove it.. Saying he has the most potential since those 2 isn't as insane as you are making it.... Durant and James you knew they were gonna end up the best in the business... Gregg Oden was suppose to have more potential than Durant and again outside of James/Durant/Oden nobody was talked about or expected to be as great as Wiggins/Embiid... It was Durant/Oden all over again

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2014/06/23/joel-embiid-slide-board-kansas-bill-self/11267089/

Embiid presents a combination of size, grace and athleticism that makes him strikingly similar to NBA great Hakeem Olajuwon.

Again I can provide countless articles that were saying how insane his potential is.

flea
06-12-2015, 01:44 AM
From what I saw in college it's Okafor - the only people who say otherwise are the ones that think Embiid is the second coming of Dream. Okafor was the best player on a team that won it all, and is already a dominant offensive player. Can handle very well for a center his age, pass very well, and has a number of moves and counters. Showed a lot of potential on the boards and has good length for projecting defense.

Embiid has similar length, and is probably a better athlete but he's not an elite one. His frame is lankier than Okafor (who has basically ideal build), which is worrisome on the boards. He was a solid scorer but not a guy who consistently required doubles like Okafor - there's certainly potential there but a lot of guys have potential. He was a good but not great rebounder, and was turnover prone at times. His newness to the game showed at times when I saw him.

Okafor is the best college offensive player I've seen since Carmelo (yes, better than Durant). He will require doubles very early in his NBA career, and if he can play with a stretch 4 he will be a complete nightmare offensively. Even if he's stuck in a P&R system he'll be great because of his very good hands and touch. Embiid? You just sort of hope he holds his own. The only way he's better than Okafor is if he's a DPOY caliber player, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Bostonjorge
06-12-2015, 01:45 AM
making stuff up? look across the internet and the post I linked... Here I will post it a few times for you so you can add anything of merit to the conversation instead of just trying to insult and annoy.

You want more articles/comments and so on?

Took a look at your link. It's says embiid had a higher turnover rate. 14 put backs to okafors 44. Says okafors go to move is unstoppable and is a power player while embiid is more of a shake and bake player.

Embiid averaged 11 points and 8 Rebs. Teams defensive schemes were set to stop wiggins. Not embiid.

Okafor averaged 17 points and 8 Rebs. Teams defense schemes were set up to stop Okafor with many double and triple teams.

You say embiid has a huge gap over Okafor yet no link proved this. This link alone was telling how Okafor is far ahead of embiid in certain areas but the writer would take the risk of embiid any ways. Like I said before, embiid hasn't showed he can lead a offense or get a needed basket. Okafor has in every level so far and winning every biggest prize so far.

More-Than-Most
06-12-2015, 01:46 AM
We all seen how high people were on wiggins

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1995818-anonymous-nba-scout-joel-embiid-only-potential-franchise-player-in-2014-draft

Anonymous NBA Scout: Joel Embiid Only 'Potential Franchise Player' in 2014 Draft

I stand by my statement that nobody has had this much potential since Durant/Oden/James.... Will it workout? not a clue... He could just as easily bust.

More-Than-Most
06-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Took a look at your link. It's says embiid had a higher turnover rate. 14 put backs to okafors 44. Says okafors go to move is unstoppable and is a power player while embiid is more of a shake and bake player.

Embiid averaged 11 points and 8 Rebs. Teams defensive schemes were set to stop wiggins. Not embiid.

Okafor averaged 17 points and 8 Rebs. Teams defense schemes were set up to stop Okafor with many double and triple teams.

You say embiid has a huge gap over Okafor yet no link proved this. This link alone was telling how Okafor is far ahead of embiid in certain areas but the writer would take the risk of embiid any ways. Like I said before, embiid hasn't showed he can lead a offense or get a needed basket. Okafor has in every level so far and winning every biggest prize so far.

There was plenty in the Link that stated it and so on... I am not saying in any way shape or form that OKA is a scrub... I think he will be a bust if you are expecting him to be better than Towns/Embid... He will be on a Noel level... really really great at one side of the ball. I just dont think he is the smart pick over towns/Russel/Winslow and have him 4th or 5th with mudlay.

Having just turned 19 years old, Okafor is nearly two years younger than Embiid, who'll be turning 21 in March.

But that doesn't change the height of Embiid's towering ceiling, which stands a good two stories higher than Okafor's. "He can do things that only a few people in the world can do," one NBA scout told Bleacher Report's Jason King.

KMackSackAttack
06-12-2015, 01:50 AM
okafor just because that's who my Lakers are drafting hahaha

More-Than-Most
06-12-2015, 01:53 AM
okafor just because that's who my Lakers are drafting hahaha

lol thats basically 8 of the 12 votes for him above.

KMackSackAttack
06-12-2015, 02:10 AM
lol thats basically 8 of the 12 votes for him above.

lol yeah man plus embiid foot worries me. I wanted embiid bad last year but oh well atleast we'll get oak! Once he improves defensively he will be a monster

jerellh528
06-12-2015, 02:12 AM
Nobody is doubting embiids potential. But would I trade okafor for him straight up? Absolutely not. Embiid has "potential" and a sliver of a chance to be Olajuwon-like. But okafor will be an all star and will be fighting for best center in the league within a few years, he's too skilled. His game in the paint is probably better than majority of the NBA centers already and he's still a teenager. Embiid has higher potential, but from what they've given us to judge by based on their actual play on the court, okafor is better and there's not much argument otherwise.

Corey
06-12-2015, 02:19 AM
Embiid, in the very least, is a defensive beast. He's so young as far as basketball years go, he has so much potential offensively. He's already there on defense.

Okafor has the offensive game but he hasnt shown any defensive promise, he lacks above average athleticism, speed, and defensive fundamentals.

I'd rather have Embiid, honestly. Fairly easily. He has all the tools to be great. He has a soft touch out to 18 feet, he has very good foot work in the paint, he's smart with his body, he's a monster blocking shots and closing out to the baseline, he has great athleticism for his size/position, and his per40 stats at KU were 19.5pts/14reb/4.5 blocks....I just think he's the whole package once he gets polished

More-Than-Most
06-12-2015, 02:23 AM
lol yeah man plus embiid foot worries me. I wanted embiid bad last year but oh well atleast we'll get oak! Once he improves defensively he will be a monster

oh no doubt... I never stated other wise either... We are gonna live and die with Embiid and I am fine with that because there is nobody I would take over him currently in terms of top prospects.

numba1CHANGsta
06-12-2015, 03:01 AM
As of right now, none of these bigs have done anything yet to separate themselves from the rest. Post this thread 3-4 years from now and then we can see who became the better player

2-ONE-5
06-12-2015, 08:38 AM

lol thank you

da ThRONe
06-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Embiid over Okafor for me for the same reason as Towns over Okafor. The only thing IMO that makes it close is Embiid injury concerns.

Everybody healthy top 3 potential in the last two drafts are

Embiid
Wiggins
Towns
Parker/Okafor tie
Russell

D-Leethal
06-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Noel seems like a picture perfect compliment to Okafor.

sixer04fan
06-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Noel seems like a picture perfect compliment to Okafor.

Joking? I think they're poor complements. Both are natural centers and neither can stretch the floor. Spacing issues would be huge

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Based on how much i hoped we would somehow land Embiid last year, and how scared i am off drafting Okafor, I would say Embiid. I don't care if he's better though. I just want Okafor to be good

naps
06-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Okafor will be Al Jefferson at best. Embiid could be the best center in the league.

KMackSackAttack
06-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Okafor will be Al Jefferson at best. Embiid could be the best center in the league.

Lol smh

More-Than-Most
06-12-2015, 09:14 PM

Its exactly what I have been saying all along.

Corey
06-12-2015, 09:38 PM

Lol smh

You sound unintelligent when you criticize someone's post like this without saying why you disagree.

I agree with naps.

GREATNESS ONE
06-12-2015, 10:02 PM
You sound unintelligent when you criticize someone's post like this without saying why you disagree.

I agree with naps.

Lolz 😂

5ass
06-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Let me ask this question. Who in the NBA today dominates in the post consistently, yet doesn't have a consistent jump shot? Seriously, I'm trying to think of some names, but I can't.

IMO if Okafor doesn't develop a consistent jump shot (I think he will), he won't be great.

GREATNESS ONE
06-12-2015, 10:07 PM
He will and he already is comfortably using the back board.

We'll see next year.

LakerShow
06-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Lmao draft express people in these *****.

5ass
06-12-2015, 10:09 PM
The best offensive big men today (Gasol, cousins, vucevic) all have a jump shot.

Lakers + Giants
06-13-2015, 02:12 AM
I'm not saying Okafor is the next great big, but a lot of the people criticizing him are those who constantly bash the lakers. I swear if lakers didn't have the #2 pick people would be praising Okafor. IF we end up getting Russell or Towns watch the praise Okafor is gonna get and then watch people say how Towns / Russell are overrated :laugh: . It's cute.

Bostonjorge
06-13-2015, 02:24 AM
Let me ask this question. Who in the NBA today dominates in the post consistently, yet doesn't have a consistent jump shot? Seriously, I'm trying to think of some names, but I can't.

IMO if Okafor doesn't develop a consistent jump shot (I think he will), he won't be great.
The NBA don't have a dominant big any more. Last one we saw was Dwight in Orlando. Bynum and hibbert had one season. The last "dominant" bigs had no jump shots. When you can get where you want and finish at a high rate around the rim why step out?

Okafor is going to dominate the post and have his way. He will lead the league in put backs and make teams truly pay who play small ball. Okafor already lost 12 pounds of fat and adding more muscule. That will help him defensively to challenge more shots.

DillyDill
06-13-2015, 02:33 AM
They both make me :drool::drool::drool::drool:... I'm just overly happy that dominate Bigs are making their return as possibly first options Towns/Noel as well :)

GREATNESS ONE
06-13-2015, 03:03 AM
👌🏽

Bruno
06-13-2015, 03:39 AM
Jefferson
6'9.75 with shoes.
7'2.5 wingspan
9'2 standing reach
263 pounds

Okafor
6'10.75 with shoes
7'5 wingspan
9.25 standing reach
272 pounds

I see the comparison but Oakfor is more physically gifted from a prospect perspective. theres also photos of him holding 13 tennis balls in one hand. the ball looks like a grapefruit in his hands:
http://nesn.com/2015/05/nba-draft-prospect-jahlil-okafor-can-hold-13-tennis-balls-in-one-hand-photo/

Jefferson has hands that are 9.5' from base of palm to middle finger tip. Okafor is 10'.25 from base to finger tip. Okafor also has a hand width of 11'25 inches from pinky to thumb. he should end up better than Jefferson ever was.
http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/acc_basketball/jah-rules-duke-coaches-encourage-one-handed-passing-from-big/article_54b4ff42-adc1-11e4-81d9-b700b3e8f5c3.html

Jefferson is a good comparison though. close.

GREATNESS ONE
06-13-2015, 03:48 AM
Jefferson
6'9.75 with shoes.
7'2.5 wingspan
9'2 standing reach
263 pounds

Okafor
6'10.75 with shoes
7'5 wingspan
9.25 standing reach
272 pounds

I see the comparison but Oakfor is more physically gifted from a prospect perspective.

I'm sorry but a 19 year old Okafor already smokes Al Jefferson in the post. That comparisons is hilarious :D

Bruno
06-13-2015, 03:50 AM
I'm sorry but a 19 year old Okafor already smokes Al Jefferson in the post. That comparisons is hilarious :D

height, wingspan, standing reach, weight, and hand size all favor Okafor as a prospect over Jefferson. they're both excellent on the block, i buy that.

GREATNESS ONE
06-13-2015, 03:51 AM
👌🏽

Bruno
06-13-2015, 03:56 AM
👌🏽

as to say, they can be compared because of their style of play, but to suggest that Jefferson is as good as Okafor can ever be ignores the physical advantages that Okafor has. so in that sense i disagree with naps that jefferson is Okafors ceiling. although similar players. Okafor has the chance and size to possibly defend the rim one day too, Jefferson was always just a bit short for the role. guys like Russell and Ben Wallace have existed as excellent rim protectors in NBA history but generally your rim protector has to be a little bit bigger than 6'9.

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 04:46 AM
I'm not saying Okafor is the next great big, but a lot of the people criticizing him are those who constantly bash the lakers. I swear if lakers didn't have the #2 pick people would be praising Okafor. IF we end up getting Russell or Towns watch the praise Okafor is gonna get and then watch people say how Towns / Russell are overrated :laugh: . It's cute.

no its the other way around... Lakers fans are all jumping on him now because they have the number 2 pick... I prayed in the draft thread and you can go check that we wouldnt get the first or 2nd pick because i didnt want oka and the sixers would do something that ********... I have stated for months oka/mudlay are overrated and the cream of the crop in this draft is towns/rus/wins and then oak or mudlay. It came up in your thread about Embiid and all lakers fans all of a sudden think OKA has more potential which is ludicrous.

Bostonjorge
06-13-2015, 04:56 AM
When the season started and teams planed on tanking they had hopes of drafting Okafor.

Okafor is already as good as Cousins in my opinion. Cousins is not a rim protector and don't have Okafors post game. In a year or two Okafor will be the number one C in the league. Top 5 big.

Lakers + Giants
06-13-2015, 05:32 AM
no its the other way around... Lakers fans are all jumping on him now because they have the number 2 pick... I prayed in the draft thread and you can go check that we wouldnt get the first or 2nd pick because i didnt want oka and the sixers would do something that ********... I have stated for months oka/mudlay are overrated and the cream of the crop in this draft is towns/rus/wins and then oak or mudlay. It came up in your thread about Embiid and all lakers fans all of a sudden think OKA has more potential which is ludicrous.

Look at my previous posts in this thread, hell, look at my vote in the poll...

Still, the hate okafor is getting is all because its looking like lakers will draft him. During the whole season all the teams that were tanking were doing so in hopes of getting Towns / Okafor. Now that we got the #2 pick Okafor is suddenly a scrub... Yea, im definitely not buying that.

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 07:07 AM
Look at my previous posts in this thread, hell, look at my vote in the poll...

Still, the hate okafor is getting is all because its looking like lakers will draft him. During the whole season all the teams that were tanking were doing so in hopes of getting Towns / Okafor. Now that we got the #2 pick Okafor is suddenly a scrub... Yea, im definitely not buying that.

So what about before the number 2 pick went to the lakers? Nobody is calling him a scrub except me and I am not even saying that. I am saying a poor mans jefferson which means he will probably be as good or slightly better offensively but much worse defensively. He could be much better no doubt but on the defensive end he has looked lost and confused and lazy. 90 percent of the people in here were always saying Towns would go number 1 ahead of him even before the lakers got the pick...People have been beyond high on Embiid like I have stated with potential that eclipses all bigs over many many years... You are delusional if you think the hate is because all of a sudden the lakers are taking him. Hell I think the lakers will wise up and take Russell which would be an amazing pick. Again its not hate saying Towns is the better prospect and Embiid has much much more potential.... You speak of hate but the votes show the bias... Literally 90 percent of the votes that are for OKA over Embiid are lakers fans.... Not because they think OKA is better but because they are drafting him and now he is a star to them.

I have always had Towns/Russell/Winslow ahead of OKA/Mudlay... I think The cream of the crop are those 3 guys with OKA/Mudlay good but not great.... I think the drafting will go like this

Wolves-Towns
Lakers-Russell
Sixers-Mudlay- Because they are ********.
Oka/Winslow
Winslow/Oka

If the Lakers do pick Oka I think it will go like this

Wolves-Towns
Lakers-Oka
Sixers-Mudlay- Because the sixers are in love with the true point guard but again ********.

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 07:16 AM
Head to Head Noel Will show just how much of a little boy OKA is and the severe Holes in his game by locking him down on offense and scoring on that putrid defense... and yes I said Noel... I prefer my centers be great 2 way players or at least great on the defensive end because the offense will always be there from their size alone and the rebound/put backs and so on.

Potential it goes like this

Embiid
HUGE GAP

Towns
Gap

Noel/Oka
Oka/Noel

I love Noel but Noel and OKA combined would make the perfect center. Noel will always have that insane defense while OKA will have that insane offense but bigs can score using size alone... Defense from a big is so much more valuable because they can literally take away a huge portion of the floor. That is why I am so low on OKA

SeoulBeatz
06-13-2015, 07:57 AM

Okafor is extremely gifted in the post, but to say he "smokes" Al Jefferson is an overstatement.

Let's see how his moves translate against NBA bigs before we claim he's already a far superior post player, but there's no doubt Okafor has the potential to reach that point. He's more athletically gifted and bigger than Al Jeff so it's a distinct possibility.

Maybe i'm just bias because i feel like Jefferson has been one of the most underrated post players in the NBA for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdz7IAnsZs

TDE
06-13-2015, 08:12 AM

Potential? Okafor has the most potential offensively than all of them and is not even close. He can come into the League and not have to work on his offensive game, he's O is already polished. He can just put all his focus learning defensive strategies, positioning and so on and if he does he would be the better player.

xxplayerxx23
06-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Injuries scare me big time. I'd take oakfor but if embidd can stay healthy he should be close l/better

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Potential? Okafor has the most potential offensively than all of them and is not even close. He can come into the League and not have to work on his offensive game, he's O is already polished. He can just put all his focus learning defensive strategies, positioning and so on and if he does he would be the better player.

Embiid has just as much or more potential offensively.... Oka has the post game yes but he has no shot and a ton of other holes... Embiid doesn't have as polished as an offense but he can be all around better on the offensive end just as easily.... His potential is compared to that of Hakeem.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/12/11/5198940/joel-embiid-nba-draft-profile-kansas-baskebtall

TDE
06-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Head to Head Noel Will show just how much of a little boy OKA is and the severe Holes in his game by locking him down on offense and scoring on that putrid defense... and yes I said Noel... I prefer my centers be great 2 way players or at least great on the defensive end because the offense will always be there from their size alone and the rebound/put backs and so on.

I have to disagree with some of your points here, Okafor DOES not have a little boy body, he is 270lbs to Noel's 230, he also has solid legs. its gonna be hard to back him down. As far as offensively, Okafor has the body to body to push anyone to the low post. It's gonna be a sight to see, we're gonna probably have to wait a few years to see all of their potential.

Also, I think it's more valuable to have a great consistent offensive game with solid defense than a player who is great defensively but scores on put backs and alley oops and so on.

TDE
06-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Embiid has just as much or more potential offensively.... Oka has the post game yes but he has no shot and a ton of other holes... Embiid doesn't have as polished as an offense but he can be all around better on the offensive end just as easily.... His potential is compared to that of Hakeem.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2013/12/11/5198940/joel-embiid-nba-draft-profile-kansas-baskebtall

I don't disagree about Embiid, he's great. I just don't think you are giving Okafor a fair shake. As far as a "ton" of other holes I only see 3 can u pls elaborate? anyways Okafor can also work on his game just like Embiid can work on his game.

Triple_Ocho
06-13-2015, 09:24 AM
I would say Okafor only cuz of Embiid's injury issues... Already has a history of back and foot issues before he has even played a game in the NBA. He could be a better player for a few years but I think Okafor will have a longer career.

Bostonjorge
06-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Best case for embiid he turns into Mutombo.

Best case for Okafor he turns into Tim Duncan.

David Robinsion went on recored to say Okafor reminds him of Duncan.

DillyDill
06-13-2015, 02:38 PM

If u want to talk about potential ceilings u gotta keep it fair for both sides.

Embiid highest ceiling= Hakeem
Okafor highest ceiling= Duncan

David Robinson
David Robinson – Verified account ‏@DavidtheAdmiral

The freshman @BigJah15 Okafor reminds me of TImmyD #BrightFuture
12:03 PM - 7 Feb 2015
154 RETWEETS189 FAVORITES

flea
06-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Eh they both have really good hands and a diverse offensive skillset, but Duncan was a defense-first player coming out of college. I could see Okafor matching Duncan as a scorer eventually (which says a lot), but Duncan is a top 3-5 all-time rebounder and a top 3-5 all-time defender (man, p&r, help/paint protection he does it all), top 3-5 all-time big man passer, etc. etc.

da ThRONe
06-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Eh they both have really good hands and a diverse offensive skillset, but Duncan was a defense-first player coming out of college. I could see Okafor matching Duncan as a scorer eventually (which says a lot), but Duncan is a top 3-5 all-time rebounder and a top 3-5 all-time defender (man, p&r, help/paint protection he does it all), top 3-5 all-time big man passer, etc. etc.

His lack of defense is exactly why I think Okafor falls short of the Duncan comparison. Like you I see Duncan as his offenses ceiling with Al Jefferson as his offenses floor.

SeoulBeatz
06-13-2015, 03:30 PM

Not the right comparison.

Bostonjorge
06-13-2015, 05:00 PM
Not the right comparison.

Same post game and both challenge every shot.

There is no chance that embiid ever gets Dreams foot work. Won't even come close to it so don't know why that's comparison is even mentioned.

sixer04fan
06-13-2015, 05:29 PM
The question is who has the most potential, not who is better now, or who would you rather have.

Clearly Embiid.

sixer04fan
06-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Same post game and both challenge every shot.

There is no chance that embiid ever gets Dreams foot work. Won't even come close to it so don't know why that's comparison is even mentioned.

Embiid's roots are as a soccer player and volleyball star. He only picked up basketball a few years ago. I'd say his footwork and fluidity are going to be pretty elite.

On the offensive end, Mutombo's a stiff compared to what Embiid is capable of. The majority of Mutombo's shots all came within 3-5 feet of the hoop and he wasn't known for running the floor.

Bad comparison.

nycericanguy
06-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Okafor easily... Embiid hasn't played a meaningful game in how long?

da ThRONe
06-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Okafor easily... Embiid hasn't played a meaningful game in how long?

What does that have to do with Embiid's overall potential?

Scoots
06-13-2015, 08:52 PM
I think they are different. Embiid has more what the modern NBA is looking for Okafor more what the NBA was looking for 20 years ago. Okafor will be a star and probably make more all star games than Embiid.

Sadds The Gr8
06-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Sources: 76ers center Joel Embiid suffers setback with left foot

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--76ers-center-joel-embiid-suffers-setback-with-left-foot-014042190.html

yup...just don't know how to expect that he'll stay healthy. sucks...

JNA17
06-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8s9 seconds ago

Sources: Philadelphia's Joel Embiid, who lost rookie year to injury, has setback on left foot healing, must sit out thru further evaluation.

Another Greg Oden. Shame.

Scoots
06-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Wow ... I hope he gets a chance to get on the court. For a couple years there people were saying similar things about Curry and his ankles but he's figured it out so it's still possible Embiid can ... but big men with bad feet have a long and bad history in the NBA.

nycericanguy
06-13-2015, 10:09 PM
What does that have to do with Embiid's overall potential?

Health is a huge concern, if we're talking "IF HEALTHY" scenarios then I go Embiid... but htat's a huge if right now, just had another setback...

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 10:32 PM
i really really really hope the lakers get oka now or i have a feeling the sixers will take him

Gibby23
06-13-2015, 10:34 PM
i really really really hope the lakers get oka now or i have a feeling the sixers will take him

Why? They have potentially the best center in the NBA

nycericanguy
06-13-2015, 10:35 PM
I never understood why PHI fans are so crazy about Embiid... or penciling him as a future centerpiece. there's a reason he was passed over as the top pick.

Back injuries, foot injuries... for a guy his size... IDK, I just don't envision him ever being consistently healthy. Even if it doesn't turn out as bad as Oden, he seems like a guy who has all the talent in the world but is always going to be a huge question mark.

thats why I said Okafor and its not even close... Embiid is just not someone you want to rely on as a key piece going forward.

LakerShow
06-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Lmao, Lakers take oka, your gonna wish Sixers took him with embid lingering injury issues.

Gibby23
06-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Dumb *** GM gambled away a top 3 pick. You see what the Sixers will suck and have sucked for a long while.

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Why? They have potentially the best center in the NBA

potentially yes but the injury thing is a concern like I have stated all thread long... Potentially we could have a Hakeem but Injuries are injuries and the sixers would draft OKA which would be dumb.

kozelkid
06-13-2015, 11:13 PM
I think they are different. Embiid has more what the modern NBA is looking for Okafor more what the NBA was looking for 20 years ago. Okafor will be a star and probably make more all star games than Embiid.

This x1000.
I really think Al Jefferson is his ideal and most realistic scenario, which is fine but not that first option, franchise-type player that people envision.

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 11:14 PM
I never understood why PHI fans are so crazy about Embiid... or penciling him as a future centerpiece. there's a reason he was passed over as the top pick.

Back injuries, foot injuries... for a guy his size... IDK, I just don't envision him ever being consistently healthy. Even if it doesn't turn out as bad as Oden, he seems like a guy who has all the talent in the world but is always going to be a huge question mark.

thats why I said Okafor and its not even close... Embiid is just not someone you want to rely on as a key piece going forward.

read the countless articles and its not just PHI fans but people who understand basketball and arent Laker fans all are drooling over what Embiid can be... His main concern is injuries but again with the limitless talent he has id rather sink or swim with him then draft an OKA who is a poor mans jefferson.

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 11:15 PM
This x1000.
I really think Al Jefferson is his ideal and most realistic scenario, which is fine but not that first option, franchise-type player that people envision.

spot on

Gibby23
06-13-2015, 11:18 PM
spot on
I'd doesn't matter. Oak will win by default. Embiid is going to be injury prone. He has Bynum Oden potential. Lol

More-Than-Most
06-13-2015, 11:49 PM
According to Yahoo! Sports, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 draft had "vigorous" workouts for several weeks and felt no pain, but the CT scan revealed the issue.

seems like its just not healing fast enough :shrug: let him miss summer league and rest.... id rest him for as long as possible... this year isnt that big of a deal.

jerellh528
06-14-2015, 12:00 AM
This x1000.

Nah, Jefferson is his floor if anything, not his ideal. Jefferson wasn't half the prospect coming out either.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 12:04 AM
According to Yahoo! Sports, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 draft had "vigorous" workouts for several weeks and felt no pain, but the CT scan revealed the issue.

seems like its just not healing fast enough :shrug: let him miss summer league and rest.... id rest him for as long as possible... this year isnt that big of a deal.

Sure. Maybe it didn't heal. He didn't feel pain when they found it last year either.

jerellh528
06-14-2015, 12:05 AM

Yikes, he's still having injury issues?

kozelkid
06-14-2015, 12:05 AM
Nah, Jefferson is his floor if anything, not his ideal. Jefferson wasn't half the prospect coming out either.
No, calling a 20-10 player as anyone's floor is silly.

And it doesn't matter what Jefferson was as a prospect. He turned into a pretty good player in this league. It would be like saying that Andrew Wiggin's floor is Kobe Bryant because he was the superior draft prospect coming out.

jerellh528
06-14-2015, 12:07 AM
No, calling a 20-10 player as anyone's floor is silly.

And it doesn't matter what Jefferson was as a prospect. He turned into a pretty good player in this league. It would be like saying that Andrew Wiggin's floor is Kobe Bryant because he was the superior draft prospect coming out.

You think it's silly. That's how good okafors potential is. I think he has league MVP potential. 20-10 I can envision his rookie or sophomore year.

kozelkid
06-14-2015, 12:21 AM
You think it's silly. That's how good okafors potential is. I think he has league MVP potential. 20-10 I can envision his rookie or sophomore year.

Fair enough (though I do think you largely believe that because he'll likely be in a Lakers uni).

However, I also think you're setting up yourself for disappointment. He isn't an elite, once-in-a-generation, can't-miss prospect like Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Lebron James, or even Greg Oden who got decimated by inuries.

The questions on the defensive end are largely why I think he'll end up a good, but not great player. He doesn't he put nearly enough effort at that end nor has the same explosiveness that a KG, Duncan, Hakeem, etc. had.

On some of the smaller issues, like Al Jefferson, he also doesn't go to the line nearly as much as he should. Maybe he'll learn to better sell the shooting foul; we shall see. Factor in his poor FT shooting (which maybe he will also improve), and I see a guy who will put big raw numbers (like AJ), but not impact the team in the W-L column nearly as much as he should.

My biggest problem with Okafor is the simple fact that it will be very difficult to find a big who can compliment his game and bring the necessary skill set for the team. This is precisely why purely low post players are difficult to work with (and are all but phased out in today's game) unless they also happen to be elite interior defenders. With a guy like Okafor, you will almost certainly need to find a very good interior defender who can also stretch the floor; that's a very tough combo to find. Currently in the NBA, I can only think of two: Ibaka and AD.

jerellh528
06-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Fair enough (though I do think you largely believe that because he'll likely be in a Lakers uni).

However, I also think you're setting up yourself for disappointment. He isn't an elite, once-in-a-generation, can't-miss prospect like Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Lebron James, or even Greg Oden who got decimated by inuries.

The questions on the defensive end are largely why I think he'll end up a good, but not great player. He doesn't he put nearly enough effort at that end nor has the same explosiveness that a KG, Duncan, Hakeem, etc. had.

On some of the smaller issues, like Al Jefferson, he also doesn't go to the line nearly as much as he should. Maybe he'll learn to better sell the shooting foul; we shall see. Factor in his poor FT shooting (which maybe he will also improve), and I see a guy who will put big raw numbers (like AJ), but not impact the team in the W-L column nearly as much as he should.

My biggest problem with Okafor is the simple fact that it will be very difficult to find a big who can compliment his game and bring the necessary skill set for the team. This is precisely why purely low post players are difficult to work with (and are all but phased out in today's game) unless they also happen to be elite interior defenders. With a guy like Okafor, you will almost certainly need to find a very good interior defender who can also stretch the floor; that's a very tough combo to find. Currently in the NBA, I can only think of two: Ibaka and AD.

Well yeah, wanting him for going on 2 years now and almost tasting that dream probably has a hand in it. Lol.

He doesn't need to be a once in a generation guy like kd or James, he has the best offensive skillet in over a decade. And best a big man has had since I can remember.

Well, if you believe what him and the coaching staff says about his defense, it will improve, he wasn't in position in college to be quite the defensive presence he might've been, they didn't want him in foul trouble, plus he's only 19 and apparently lost 20 lbs of fat, that should improve his movement and explosiveness a bit. If you've even fluctuated weight in your life, it's amazing what shedding 10 pounds can do. Plus I think defense for a guy his size is mostly effort. He has the size and brain to improve.

Fts, yea that's potentially a problem, just like with shaq, his hands are extreamly massive, that's generally a problem with bigs who shoots fts. Whoever drafts him an only hope he continues to work on that.

As far as the big next to him is concerned, I've been hearing that Randall won't be a great fit. I absolutely do not see that, Randal has an almost sf like skillset, he's versatile enough to thrive next to oak. Plus I really like how randle loves to catch the ball on the perimeter and drive and collapse the defense towards the rim. That will potentially be lobs to oak to an easy lane for fear of leaving oak on d. I could be wrong, but i guess if la drafts him, we will see in the coming years. FYI, I think Embiid has higher potential, just due to his flashes and extreamly small experience with the game of basketball. But I think okafor easily has a higher chance to actually reach his potential.

JNA17
06-14-2015, 01:35 AM
This x1000.

Not quite.

1. Okafor is already better offensively than Al Jefferson. That's the scary thing.

2. There has been no big man as gifted in the post as Okafor since Duncan coming out of the draft.

3. And the reason why the Tim Duncan comparison actually has a leg to stand on:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wv9m0-AcGPY

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, and said: “That kid right there, that’s a young Tim Duncan.”

“Okafor’s got some pretty good size and he doesn’t know how big he is yet,” ESPN college basketball analyst Shane Battier, a two-time NBA champion, told SNY.tv. “But he’s got tremendous skill…He does a great job of passing out of the post, which is a lost art. He reminds me of Tim Duncan, who I think is the best post passer in the NBA right now.”

Wake Forest assistant coach Randolph Childress, who played with Duncan for two years and scouted Okafor in advance of the Deamon Deacons game against Duke, said at the same age “he has more post-up moves” than Duncan.

David Robinson ✔ @DavidtheAdmiral

The freshman @BigJah15 Okafor reminds me of TImmyD

Kobe coming out of high school and as a rookie, despite not having the same level of defense, was compared a lot to Michael Jordan, and there was no denying they played alike.

kozelkid
06-14-2015, 01:42 AM
Not quite.

1. Okafor is already better offensively than Al Jefferson. That's the scary thing.

2. There has been no big man as gifted in the post as Okafor since Duncan coming out of the draft.

3. And the reason why the Tim Duncan comparison actually has a leg to stand on:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wv9m0-AcGPY

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, and said: “That kid right there, that’s a young Tim Duncan.”

“Okafor’s got some pretty good size and he doesn’t know how big he is yet,” ESPN college basketball analyst Shane Battier, a two-time NBA champion, told SNY.tv. “But he’s got tremendous skill…He does a great job of passing out of the post, which is a lost art. He reminds me of Tim Duncan, who I think is the best post passer in the NBA right now.”

Wake Forest assistant coach Randolph Childress, who played with Duncan for two years and scouted Okafor in advance of the Deamon Deacons game against Duke, said at the same age “he has more post-up moves” than Duncan.

Kobe coming out of high school and as a rookie, despite not having the same level of defense, was compared a lot to Michael Jordan, and there was no denying they played alike.

None of that dispells my point regarding Okafor's lack of defense. Duncan's most important characteristic is probably the fact that he is a top 5 defender of all time. Okafor is a below average defender who doesn't have anywhere close to the upside that Duncan had at that end.

That's a massive aspect that you seem to be ignoring which is again why it will be difficult to ever have a great defensive team around him. And where any comparisons end with an all time great. And why he isn't a unanimous top pick.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-14-2015, 01:54 AM
None of that dispells my point regarding Okafor's lack of defense. Duncan's most important characteristic is probably the fact that he is a top 5 defender of all time. Okafor is a below average defender who doesn't have anywhere close to the upside that Duncan had at that end.

That's a massive aspect that you seem to be ignoring which is again why it will be difficult to ever have a great defensive team around him. And where any comparisons end with an all time great. And why he isn't a unanimous top pick.

You don't know how a guy defends until he gets in the league. When we drafted Marc Gasol, scouts said he was a fat, unathletic, and an unwilling defender. Fast forward 10 years and hes a former defensive player of the year who is the main cog on one of the leagues top defensive teams. Okafor is built like a wall just like him. Its easy to teach defensive position.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:03 AM
You don't know how a guy defends until he gets in the league. When we drafted Marc Gasol, scouts said he was a fat, unathletic, and an unwilling defender. Fast forward 10 years and hes a former defensive player of the year who is the main cog on one of the leagues top defensive teams. Okafor is built like a wall just like him. Its easy to teach defensive position.

Yea you do know how a guy defends when that guy has looked as lost and silly on the defensive end as OKA.... Also to your point the we don't know thing yet people are in here saying he is already better than a guy Averaging 20-10 and he hasn't played a game yet... It works both ways.. That is so beyond silly its laughable

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:09 AM
Yea you do know how a guy defends when that guy has looked as lost and silly on the defensive end as OKA.... Also to your point the we don't know thing yet people are in here saying he is already better than a guy Averaging 20-10 and he hasn't played a game yet... It works both ways.. That is so beyond silly its laughable

What is beyond laughable is you saying Embiid is someone people would take over Oak. Embiid might miss next season. He will probably have to have surgery again to increase blood flow

JNA17
06-14-2015, 02:09 AM

Ignoring? You hardly mentioned it. And I mentioned it myself with the Kobe and MJ comparison.

Defense was because Duke had no other big man. If Okafor got in foul trouble like Towns did all the time at Kentucky, they would be screwed.

The former Blue Devils big man thinks the critiques of his defense are overblown, but admits to working on that part of his game.

“I know I’m going to get better,” Okafor told Basketball Insiders. “I can get better at everything I do, and I always improve. I don’t think my defense was as bad as people made it out to be. We did win a national championship, and all of my coaches were extremely happy with the way that I played on both ends of the floor. Also, I couldn’t get into foul trouble and with the way our defense was set up, I wasn’t really in rim-protecting situations.
“Honestly, that is one of my flaws that I can improve on, but I can also improve on the offense end. Luckily, I’m 19 years old and I think I have a lot of time to improve my game. … I think a lot of people forget that a lot of us are still 18 or 19 years old. We’re put under the microscope and expected to be perfect, on the floor and sometimes even off the floor. Oftentimes, I do think people forget how young we actually are.”

http://nypost.com/2015/06/09/jahlil-okafor-offers-passionate-defense-of-his-biggest-weakness/

Coach K goes over this much as well in his own words.

You know who also use to suck at defense coming out of the draft?

"He wasn't really a go-to guy for Girona on the offensive end (mainly because of Real Madrid’s double-teaming defense), but especially he doesn't make a great impact on the defensive end. His limited mobility gets exploited in pick-and-roll situations that the opponents throw at him; he's not a great intimidator, he allows smaller opponents to shoot over him; and given his superb size, he's not the best rebounder around."

Can you guess who this player was? Marc Gasol.

He was a nothing skills wise, but especially on defense. Yet now, suddenly, he's a former defensive player of the year player? Yet he use to be a total bum on defense? Hm, who knew, he got better. What a concept!

I think it's you that is choosing to ignore details such as the kid is 19 years old with the physical capabilities as well as the IQ to get better on both ends of the court. He's 19 years old with already the skills that Al Jefferson wish he had.

If Marc Gasol can get better from being an even worse defender then Okafor was at age 23, so can Okafor at age 19.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:12 AM
What is beyond laughable is you saying Embiid is someone people would take over Oak. Embiid might miss next season. He will probably have to have surgery again to increase blood flow

Um the poll is heavily in favor of my exact opinion considering the people that voted for OKA over Embiid is about 90 percent laker fans... So basically laker fans are in favor of oka over Embiid because they are about to get him and most of the non laker/sixers fans prefer embiid if healthy... 90 percent of people would take a healthy Embiid over oka 10 times out of 10 times because he is far and away better and its not close... Its not laughable at all but continue being a homer. I stated if healthy 27 times in this thread.

flea
06-14-2015, 02:13 AM
None of that dispells my point regarding Okafor's lack of defense. Duncan's most important characteristic is probably the fact that he is a top 5 defender of all time.

Maybe so, but you're underrating how elite Duncan was offensively - even as a 39 year old with one good knee he is a top 5 low-post player. He proved he could carry an offense in his prime 4 different times - once as basically his team's only offensive threat, once with only a declined star center, and twice with younger and relatively unathletic guards in a P&R scheme. Okafor has that sort of potential as a diverse offensive threat - Embiid just doesn't. Okafor won the NCAA tournament as his team's best player, and Duke was a really good defensive team in the later part of the season with Okafor a big part of that.

Al Jefferson has a nice offensive game but he has had poor conditioning throughout his career and he has a PF's body (just like Towns). Okafor has ideal frame and length for a center. People questioned Duncan's shooting coming out, but those people proved wrong. Okafor has a solid face-up and it's not like he's Dwight Howard - 60-65% should be a reasonable expectation for a guy who has such good hands.

Duncan at #1 overall was an easier decision than Lebron James even so it's tough to compare him to a guy as dominant as him, but Okafor at #1 overall should be as apparent as Durant #1 overall should have been. Instead people talk themselves into taking Towns - who has no where near the size, frame, or length that Okafor does. I'm a fan of both guys but the more I've seen, and especially in the tournament, the more I think whoever takes anyone over Okafor is going to live to regret it.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:14 AM
Lol I wonder if OKA goes to the wolves how many of these people will all of a sudden say Towns is the best player ever.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:18 AM
Again IF HEALTHY... OKA is the smarter choice at this point in time... I HAVE NEVER DOUBTED THAT

JNA17
06-14-2015, 02:20 AM
Lol I wonder if OKA goes to the wolves how many of these people will all of a sudden say Towns is the best player ever.

They are both gonna be great players in their own right. Either of the top 2 teams would be very lucky to have either of them.

I'm very grateful my Lakers are one of them. Makes it easier to choose too with Wolves picking whichever one first. :D

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:21 AM
Um the poll is heavily in favor of my exact opinion considering the people that voted for OKA over Embiid is about 90 percent laker fans... So basically laker fans are in favor of oka over Embiid because they are about to get him and most of the non laker/sixers fans prefer embiid if healthy... 90 percent of people would take a healthy Embiid over oka 10 times out of 10 times because he is far and away better and its not close... Its not laughable at all but continue being a homer. I stated if healthy 27 times in this thread.
Um. He had a setback since thread creation. Lol

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:22 AM

I take towns over Embiid. Towns isn't hurt for like the 4th time.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:23 AM
Again. ... Embiid ain't healthy

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:23 AM
Um. He had a setback since thread creation. Lol

yea and?... you keep missing the entire point of IF HEALTHY.... The same thing 90 people have stated in here at how easily they would take Embiid over OKA if healthy. OKA is the smarter safer pick but Embiid if healthy is far away the best player.

GREATNESS ONE
06-14-2015, 02:25 AM
Towns and Wiggins are gonna be really good together.

Gibby23
yea and?... you keep missing the entire point of IF HEALTHY.... The same thing 90 people have stated in here at how easily they would take Embiid over OKA if healthy. OKA is the smarter safer pick but Embiid if healthy is far away the best player.

****.. then I would take Oden. If healthy. Lmao. Only ting is he isn't

More-Than-Most
Again. ... Embiid ain't healthy

Isn't

But again that wasnt the point of this thread... The point of this thread has always been potential and its something you and are the lakers fans are ignoring because you are going to draft him. Potential Embiid blows everyone out of the water... Is he risky and could he bust... Yes... I have said this 10 times as well.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:26 AM
Towns and Wiggins are gonna be really good together.

yup thats Why I stated its shocking how both OKA/Towns want to go to LA even though the wolves are in a much brighter position.

er i get it I guess... If I was a player there would be no better place than NY/La FROM a money and star stand point.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:28 AM
Isn't

But again that wasnt the point of this thread... The point of this thread has always been potential and its something you and are the lakers fans are ignoring because you are going to draft him. Potential Embiid blows everyone out of the water... Is he risky and could he bust... Yes... I have said this 10 times as well.

Ain't. ..

Health is part of potential. Lmao.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:31 AM
Ain't. ..

No it isnt... Tmac had more potential than anyone but never could get to where he should have been because of health Issues.... Potential is looking and estimating at what a player can do and how their body is and what they did for the time they were in and so on.... Freak injuries happen... Potential has 0 to do with health.... Potential coincides with health but when gauging which 2 players have potential before they have even played you cant measure health. Oka could get hit by a car tomorrow.

That wouldnt take away his potential so far.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:34 AM
No it isnt... Tmac had more potential than anyone but never could get to where he should have been because of health Issues.... Potential is looking and estimating at what a player can do and how their body is and what they did for the time they were in and so on.... Freak injuries happen... Potential has 0 to do with health.... Potential coincides with health but when gauging which 2 players have potential before they have even played you can measure health. Oka could get hit by a car tomorrow.

You need health to reach your potential. The kind of injury Embiid has, the set back, slow healing process, and good chance of recorance limits his potential greatly

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:36 AM
You need health to reach your potential. The kind of injury Embiid has, the set back, slow healing process, and good chance of recorance limits his potential greatly

Everyone needs health to reach their potential but we arent saying WHO WILL REACH THEIR POTENTIAL...We are again for the 100th time saying who right now has more potential.... You do not need to be healthy to figure out of the 2 has more potential.... Both of these players could retire tomorrow for health reasons and their potential would still be there.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:39 AM
Everyone needs health to reach their potential but we arent saying WHO WILL REACH THEIR POTENTIAL...We are again for the 100th time saying who right now has more potential.... You do not need to be healthy to figure out of the 2 has more potential.... Both of these players could retire tomorrow for health reasons and their potential would still be there.

And health plays a role. Both can retire tomorrow just Embiid has a far greater "potential" to retire tomorrow

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:41 AM
And health plays a role. Both can retire tomorrow just Embiid has a far greater "potential" to retire tomorrow

health plays no roll in determining who has more potential right now but please continue to troll.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:44 AM
health plays no roll in determining who has more potential right now but please continue to troll.

That is the stupidest comment yet. Please continue.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:46 AM
Ain't. ..

This takes the cake sorry.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:51 AM
This takes the cake sorry.

Good luck with Embiid and the "potential"

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:53 AM

Got Noel/Saric in case in doesnt work out but thanks. Good luck with jefferson

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 02:54 AM

Got Noel/Saric in case in doesnt work out but thanks. Good luck with Jefferson.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 02:57 AM
Got Noel/Saric in case in doesnt work out but thanks. Good luck with jefferson

When is the last time I worked out for the sixers? 1980 something and only one time?

There is a far greater chance the Lakers get another championship before the sixers sniff one with this "potential"

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 03:04 AM
When is the last time I worked out for the sixers? 1980 something and only one time?

There is a far greater chance the Lakers get another championship before the sixers sniff one with this "potential"

Actually there isnt. The lakers were trash for a good bit before they got Shaq/Kobe and lucked into Gasol... That being said the Lakers play in the heavy west and have a Kobe Bryant making 30 mill on the decline.... What the lakers did before means **** when gauging what will happen the next few years... POTENTIALLY the sixers have a much better situation right now than the Lakers do. If you would use logic.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 03:09 AM
Actually there isnt. The lakers were trash for a good bit before they got Shaq/Kobe and lucked into Gasol... That being said the Lakers play in the heavy west and have a Kobe Bryant making 30 mill on the decline.... What the lakers did before means **** when gauging what will happen the next few years... POTENTIALLY the sixers have a much better situation right now than the Lakers do. If you would use logic.
Ya. The Lakers will rebuild and compete for a title before the sixers. Have fun dreaming though.

jimm120
06-14-2015, 03:11 AM
and right on queue, Embiid is injured....

jerellh528
06-14-2015, 03:12 AM

Lakers aren't in much of a situation. Our situation is basically a clean slate with black, randle, an all rookie first team pg(clarkson), #2 pick, our 2 later picks and an abundance of cap space this year and next. I like where we're at right now, get the young guys in here, have Kobe instill some work ethic, drive and competativeness in them, then next year when Kobe comes off the books we will have a young, talented roster and tons of money to snag some real big fish.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 03:12 AM
and right on queue, Embiid is injured....

Has potential though

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 03:18 AM
Lakers aren't in much of a situation. Our situation is basically a clean slate with black, randle, an all rookie first team pg(clarkson), #2 pick and an abundance of cap space this year and next. I like where we're at right now, get the young guys in here, have Kobe instill some work ethic, drive and competativeness in them, then next year when Kobe comes off the books we will have a young, talented roster and tons of money to snag some real big fish.

I am not saying their in a bad situation... I am saying we also have Noel/Saric/Embiid/and about 4 first round draft picks next year including playing in the East and more cap space than the lakers... I am just using logic at Gibby who is just trying to bait.

Thats what I was answering... He cant deal with not understanding what potential means and Embiid having more potential than OKA so he has now acted like a child for 2 pages. The lakers will rebuild pretty fast and they have too but saying they will contend for a championship before the sixers because of their past history is a dumb way of looking at it.

Lakers + Giants
06-14-2015, 03:22 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--76ers-center-joel-embiid-suffers-setback-with-left-foot-014042190.html

Ouch.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 03:24 AM

Ouch.

3 hours late man.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 03:25 AM
I am not saying their in a bad situation... I am saying we also have Noel/Saric/Embiid/and about 4 first round draft picks next year including playing in the East and more cap space than the lakers... I am just using logic at Gibby who is just trying to bait.

Thats what I was answering... He cant deal with not understanding what potential means and Embiid having more potential than OKA so he has now acted like a child for 2 pages. The lakers will rebuild pretty fast and they have too but saying they will contend for a championship before the sixers because of their past history is a dumb way of looking at it.

The Lakers will though
It's a given. We know the sixers don't do **** right.

Lakers + Giants
06-14-2015, 03:26 AM
3 hours late man.

At this point that potential isn't looking as good, it's quickly diminishing.

Lakers + Giants
06-14-2015, 03:28 AM
Honestly, what's happening to Embiid is scaring me because I can see the same **** happening to Randle. If Randle suffers another significant injury he could very well end up a bust.

JNA17
06-14-2015, 03:33 AM
The Lakers will though
It's a given. We know the sixers don't do **** right.

That and Lakers actually know how to develop players. In 2016-2017, we will be back to being title contenders while most of the lottery teams here will continue to be tanking for Thon Maker. :p

JNA17
06-14-2015, 03:37 AM
Honestly, what's happening to Embiid is scaring me because I can see the same **** happening to Randle. If Randle suffers another significant injury he could very well end up a bust.

Not to worry. Randle's fine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lakers/status/607945087717236736

And an interview with him almost a week ago on the Lakers site. He will have a Blake Griffin bounce back year. :D

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 03:43 AM
That and Lakers actually know how to develop players. In 2016-2017, we will be back to being title contenders while most of the lottery teams here will continue to be tanking for Thon Maker. :p

recently who have the lakers developed? Sixers developed AI/IGGY/KORVER/Van Horn/Larry Hughes/Dalembert/Lou Williams/Thad Young/Jrue Holiday/MCW/Speights... Seems like we develop pretty well... Shaq and Gasol that helped lead to all the championships were from trades correct?

Lakers drafts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Los_Angeles_Lakers_first_and_second_round_ draft_picks

They havent really drafted or developed much at all over the past 20 years :shrug:

They were handed Shaq/Paul and a kobe who refused to play for another team.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 03:54 AM
recently who have the lakers developed? Sixers developed AI/IGGY/KORVER/Van Horn/Larry Hughes/Dalembert/Lou Williams/Thad Young/Jrue Holiday/MCW/Speights... Seems like we develop pretty well... Shaq and Gasol that helped lead to all the championships were from trades correct?

Lakers drafts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Los_Angeles_Lakers_first_and_second_round_ draft_picks

They havent really drafted or developed much at all over the past 20 years :shrug:

Banners

Lakers + Giants
06-14-2015, 03:54 AM
Not to sound cocky, but how are we supposed to develop when we have been in contention for like 15 years.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 03:56 AM
Not to sound cocky, but how are we supposed to develop when we have been in contention for like 15 years.

Its not cocky its logic and good logic on your end... I am not the one that stated you guys draft and develop well... the past 20 years the lakers have drafted mostly crap and developed mostly crap.

JNA17
06-14-2015, 04:00 AM

Lakers drafts

http://www.82games.com/bestdraftingteams.htm

Lakers: 3rd rated drafting team
Sixers: 17th rated drafting team

In terms of development? We made the likes of Trevor Ariza, Shannon Brown, Ed Davis, Earl Clark, Tarik Black, Jodie Meeks, all traded/signed and players lakers developed and molded to become relevant players again. That doesn't even include the drafted players to be made relevant such as Jordan Farmar, Sasha (the machine :D), Andrew Bynum when we finally had a lottery pick, and now first rookie team Jordan Clarkson and Julius Randle, and now soon, assuming Wolves draft Towns, Okafor.

That doesn't even count the drafted players further back like Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Kobe freaking Byrant. So yeah.

It's only facts. :shrug:

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 04:05 AM
http://www.82games.com/bestdraftingteams.htm

Lakers: 3rd rated drafting team
Sixers: 17th rated drafting team

In terms of development? We made the likes of Trevor Ariza, Shannon Brown, Ed Davis, Earl Clark, Tarik Black, Jodie Meeks, all traded/signed and players lakers developed and molded to become relevant players again. That doesn't even include the drafted players to be made relevant such as Jordan Farmar, Sasha (the machine :D), Andrew Bynum when we finally had a lottery pick, and now first rookie team Jordan Clarkson and Julius Randle, and now soon, assuming Wolves draft Towns, Okafor.

It's only facts. :shrug:

this is from 88-2008 or did you just miss that fact? they have not drafted anything worth of squat over the past 15 plus years outside of Bynum/fisher and bynum didnt do what he was capable of even on the lakers... You guys drafted well from 88-97 or so no doubt. You stated your team drafts and develops and I followed up with all your recent picks that have busted or amounted to nothing. This site isnt facts... Its pretty crap actually considering that the teams who draft in the lottery will have guys that will bust more than teams who drafted outside the lottery just from the expectations this site expects.

Lol this site gives credit to teams for drafting players they didnt draft... Example its giving the lakers credit for Kobe when the lakers didnt draft Kobe he forced his way off of the team that drafted him and the lakers benefited.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 04:16 AM
that being said can we not allow the troll to take this off topic please... Its Embiid/Oka... Not sixers/Lakers.

ISIAH_THOMAS
06-14-2015, 04:30 AM
Rather have Okafor. Can't trust anybody with foot problems. I have doubts Embid can make it through an entire NBA season

jerellh528
06-14-2015, 05:03 AM
Rather have Okafor. Can't trust anybody with foot problems. I have doubts Embid can make it through an entire NBA season

Yeah a better question would've been, "who would you rather have?". I bet the results would've been less close.

xxplayerxx23
06-14-2015, 09:01 AM

Contender :laugh:

2-ONE-5
06-14-2015, 09:30 AM
a few things here. Embiid did not get hurt he jut hasnt healed as fast as we had hoped. The Lakers havet developed jack in terms of prospects in a a very long time. Health (Embiid) absolutely plays a role in potential going forward when the injury risk already exists.

Cal827
06-14-2015, 09:40 AM
a few things here. Embiid did not get hurt he jut hasnt healed as fast as we had hoped. The Lakers havet developed jack in terms of prospects in a a very long time. Health (Embiid) absolutely plays a role in potential going forward when the injury risk already exists.

Bynum (if he could just keep his head up/not bowl ) and Ariza were probably their last two developed talents

colinskik
06-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Bynum (if he could just keep his head up/not bowl ) and Ariza were probably their last two developed talents

the Lakers did not develop Ariza.

Scoots
06-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Isn't

The OP didn't say anything about health ... but about potential. And the potential of a shortened career is MUCH higher for Embiid than Okafor. You agree right? So any discussion of potential must include health trends. "If healthy" is not reality. Andrew Bogut could have been the best center of his generation "if healthy" ... but he wasn't, his "potential" was massively blunted by injury. Any discussion of Embiid's potential must include his potential to miss his rookie year and now possibly his 2nd year and how much more. Embiid has the greater potential to miss his entire career compared to Okafor who, though less athletic and potentially less of an elite player, has been healthier.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 11:28 AM
Its not cocky its logic and good logic on your end... I am not the one that stated you guys draft and develop well... the past 20 years the lakers have drafted mostly crap and developed mostly crap.

Bynum and Marc Gasol alone are better than any of the sixers draft picks outside of AI in the last 20 years.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Isn't it pretty stupid of the sixers to have been from what I read aggressively working Embiid on the court when his foot isn't even healed? Lol

GREATNESS ONE
06-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Sixers are rumored to be drafting Porzingis now with Embiid out.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Bynum and Marc Gasol alone are better than any of the sixers draft picks outside of AI in the last 20 years.

Bynum isn't better than Iggy sorry that is just dumb. He played a position where he had less talent to go up against... Iggy defense alone puts bynum in his place. Bynum isn't healthy enough to be better than iggy unless all of a sudden health means nothing unless you are just picking and choosing it when trying to make your points like you have oh so much.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Bynum isn't better than Iggy sorry that is just dumb. He played a position where he had less talent to go up against... Iggy defense alone puts bynum in his place. Bynum isn't healthy enough to be better than iggy unless all of a sudden health means nothing unless you are just picking and choosing it when trying to make your points like you have oh so much.

Well Gasol is

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Sixers have drafted mostly crap. And they been drafting top 10 way more than the Lakers the last 20 years.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 11:57 AM
so now just drafting matters and not drafting and developing? Sorry but fact the lakers have drafted and developed **** for pretty much 2 decades. Where they were drafting compared to the sixers mean nothing because what was stated was the lakers all of a sudden draft and develop really well by a laker fan.... which is so far from the truth its silly.

The sixers have actually drafted and developed well considering they have studs that played for them and developed for them for a long time and went on to other teams and turned out great. The sixers have just never found that superstar piece that they needed.

MCW
NOEL
JRUE HOLIDAY
IGGY
kORVER
SPEIGHTS
Thad young
Lou Williams
Samuel Dalembert
Larry Hughes
Keith Van Horne
Allen Iverson

That is one hell of a list compared to anything the lakers can put up.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 12:00 PM
so now just drafting matters and not drafting and developing? Sorry but fact the lakers have drafted and developed **** for pretty much 2 decades. Where they were drafting compared to the sixers mean nothing because what was stated was the lakers all of a sudden draft and develop really well by a laker fan.... which is so far from the truth its silly.

The sixers have actually drafted and developed well considering they have studs that played for them and developed for them for a long time and went on to other teams and turned out great. The sixers have just never found that superstar piece that they needed.

Draft position matters. It means the Lakers developed 5 titles in the last 20 years an sixers developed 0.

More-Than-Most
06-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Draft position matters. It means the Lakers developed 5 titles in the last 20 years an sixers developed 0.

lol broken record and thats all you got... its like this in every thread with you. Embiid or OKA doesnt matter lakers have 5 titles... Lebron James in the finals doesnt matter lakers have 5 titles.... Lakers draft and develop well doesnt matter 5 titles.... When any facts or opinions with weight enter the conversation and logically you have 0 to come back with its your go to move. Congrats the lakers won 5 titles... I bet you became a fan when they won the first with Kobe and Shaq.

THE MTL
06-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Dag Embiid still ain't healthy. I just dont like big men with any sort of problems from the knee and down.

Gibby23
06-14-2015, 12:15 PM

MCW
NOEL
JRUE HOLIDAY
IGGY
kORVER
SPEIGHTS
Thad young
Lou Williams
Samuel Dalembert
Larry Hughes
Keith Van Horne
Allen Iverson

List full of role players or worse outside of AI and Iggy

ISIAH_THOMAS
06-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Sixers are rumored to be drafting Porzingis now with Embiid out.
Yes please do itphilly

2-ONE-5
06-14-2015, 01:56 PM

didnt Ariza start his career with the Knicks though?

Scoots
06-14-2015, 03:15 PM

MCW
NOEL
JRUE HOLIDAY
IGGY
kORVER
SPEIGHTS
Thad young
Lou Williams
Samuel Dalembert
Larry Hughes
Keith Van Horne
Allen Iverson

On that list the only "great" is AI. That said, the Warriors over the last 20 years haven't done much better.

DillyDill
06-14-2015, 03:20 PM
lol broken record and thats all you got... its like this in every thread with you. Embiid or OKA doesnt matter lakers have 5 titles... Lebron James in the finals doesnt matter lakers have 5 titles.... Lakers draft and develop well doesnt matter 5 titles.... When any facts or opinions with weight enter the conversation and logically you have 0 to come back with its your go to move. Congrats the lakers won 5 titles... I bet you became a fan when they won the first with Kobe and Shaq.
But green getting back on topic Oak vs Embiid how concerned are u and other 76er fans of his recent injury?

2-ONE-5
06-14-2015, 03:23 PM

MCW
NOEL
JRUE HOLIDAY
IGGY
kORVER
SPEIGHTS
Thad young
Lou Williams
Samuel Dalembert
Larry Hughes
Keith Van Horne
Allen Iverson

yea Sixers didnt develop Van Horn, Speezy or Hughes i dont know what you are talking about, didnt exactly develop Korver since he has been the exact same player he was in college his entire career.

mngopher35
06-14-2015, 03:30 PM
I think Embiid has the potential to be better but I would have to take Okafor here due to injury concerns.

Bostonjorge
06-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Embiid potential is now worthless. We can make believe he never got hurt. Fact is now his potential is another bust lottery pick.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Okafor.

Embiid is Oden 2.0

Bruno
06-14-2015, 05:55 PM
I think Embiid has the potential to be better but I would have to take Okafor here due to injury concerns.

i think thats the real question. hypothetical potential is one thing. sure embiid has a higher ceiling, but he has foot issues. give me the clean slate every time.

More-Than-Most
06-15-2015, 02:14 AM
https://twitter.com/JeffSkversky/status/610181246552047617/photo/1

What I have been saying... Just because something isnt healing as fast as expected means nothing... He just needs to rest.

More-Than-Most
06-15-2015, 02:17 AM
It could easily take a turn for the worst but not at all worried... Sink or swim with him.

JNA17
06-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Keith Pompey ‏@PompeyOnSixers
Could Joel Embiid sit out another season? It's possible http://po.st/8bNQDE via @phillysport

Welp, karma for the Sixers here.

They played with fire by drafting injured big men and trading every other useful asset for pretty much crap/nothing and tanked in the most disgraceful fashion.

I feel really bad for Embiid though.

2-ONE-5
06-15-2015, 01:21 PM
im not losing any sleep passing on Randle, Gordon, Exum, etc. Embiid didnt get hurt again he just isnt done healing and i wouldnt count on him missing another season but it seems doubtful he plays the first month or 2.

KB24PG16
06-15-2015, 01:41 PM
sounds like embiid has yao syndrome, wonder how long his career will be

Gibby23
06-15-2015, 01:48 PM
im not losing any sleep passing on Randle, Gordon, Exum, etc. Embiid didnt get hurt again he just isnt done healing and i wouldnt count on him missing another season but it seems doubtful he plays the first month or 2.

They have to let it heal fully. Can't tak any chance of putting him out there if it isn't 100% healed. If that means missing one more year, they sit him that year.

It is a lack of blod flow problem, an he is already 3 months over the expected recovery time, they might have to go back in there to do something to help the blood flow better to that area, if the bone isn't getting enough blood to recover it can die off and they would have to do a bone graft, kind of like a microfracture where they drill extra holes to get blood to that area.

Scoots
06-15-2015, 04:19 PM
In raw potential Embiid is better ... it likely to realize potential it's Okafor by a considerable margin.

5ass
06-15-2015, 09:40 PM

Great post. Especially the last paragraph. Orlando has the same problem with vucevic, but atleast he's one of the best midrange shooting big men so we definitely need an interior defender, but for that front court to be great and because our core arent good shooters we need a stretch 4 or vucevic has to develop a 3 pt shot. We can get WCS, have him develop that midrange shot, have vucevic develop a 3. Or we can draft Porzingis and develop him into a shot blocking stretch 4, and focus on protecting the rim as a team. So yes, i agree it will be difficult for the lakers to find a front court mate for okafor. Randle is IMO a bad fit, so they should look to trade him. The defensive potential is just not there. I have hope for okafor, and feel he'll be better than advertised on that end. I think in time he'll be decent enough and the lakers will figure it out. I just dont think Randle is their long term starter.

More-Than-Most
06-15-2015, 09:55 PM
They have to let it heal fully. Can't tak any chance of putting him out there if it isn't 100% healed. If that means missing one more year, they sit him that year.

It is a lack of blod flow problem, an he is already 3 months over the expected recovery time, they might have to go back in there to do something to help the blood flow better to that area, if the bone isn't getting enough blood to recover it can die off and they would have to do a bone graft, kind of like a microfracture where they drill extra holes to get blood to that area.

yup you are pretty spot on with this and again I am all for sinking or swimming with him and would just sit him the entire year.

More-Than-Most
07-06-2015, 04:04 AM
http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

He looks so beyond hurt and done for the next 10 plus years..... Not only is this a good sign but if you watch the video Embiid makes OKA look like a goddamn pg with how massive he is.

FraziersKnicks
07-06-2015, 04:14 AM
http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/joel-embiid-present-sixers-minicamp-practice-but-limited

He looks so beyond hurt and done for the next 10 plus years..... Not only is this a good sign but if you watch the video Embiid makes OKA look like a goddamn pg with how massive he is.

Why is this such a good sign?

The guy still isn't cleared for any basketball activities and his foot is taking a long time to heal. Just because he's there and smiling with Okafor doesn't mean we shouldn't have serious concerns about his injuries.

More-Than-Most
07-06-2015, 04:21 AM

The guy still isn't cleared for any basketball activities and his foot is taking a long time to heal. Just because he's there and smiling with Okafor doesn't mean we shouldn't have serious concerns about his injuries.

His foot is suppose to take a long time to heal.. Its a good sign because one he is there and not in some boot... Everyone has concerns but we had 0 information and everyone jumped to conclusions that it was much worse than it was and he was done forever even though what was said was the fact that it wasnt healing as fast as they expected which really isn't surprising nor was it a huge deal like i stated all along.

Also let me be clear I would not let him touch the floor this year at all... Id let him rest for the time table they set plus about 6 months just in case while letting OKA and Noel get more seasoning this year.

PhillyFaninLA
07-06-2015, 05:00 AM

Injury not injuries.....this is the same injury from before we drafted him. I'm not saying its not a concern, but I am saying that all these people who keep saying what you are, are grossly misinformed.

This is the same injury, for some reason his body just isn't healing at the expected rate. 1 injury does not equal injury prone.

Who knows if this is one case of his body just not healing properly or if this is going to be a systemic problem? What we do know is this is the same injury he suffered in the NCAA Tournament prior to being drafted.

Scoots
07-06-2015, 12:35 PM
The fact that he's not ready to go now is bad ... not end of the world bad, it's just basketball, but a 2 year injury to the foot of a big is a major concern. I really want to see him play, but I wonder how long he will last.

2-ONE-5
07-06-2015, 01:00 PM
seems like his growth spurt was part of why he hasnt healed fully yet, at least part of the reason so it does make it less of a concern for now

TheIlladelph16
07-06-2015, 01:38 PM
seems like his growth spurt was part of why he hasnt healed fully yet, at least part of the reason so it does make it less of a concern for now

Dude is 7'2" now. I hope to god his foot heals because there's pictures of him towering over Okafor. The potential is so enticing.