PDA

View Full Version : How the 2014 finals changed the NBA

kdspurman
06-09-2015, 10:52 PM
As Pop saw it, turning the Heat's defense against itself would require a seamless confluence of cutting, passing, screening and efficient scoring. His belief that Diaw could be the catalyst for that style of play proved to be prophetic.

"Pop had his own name for it: Summertime," [Larry]Brown says. "It's when you're playing. Just playing. The ball's moving, and the game's flowing. You make a decision to shoot it, pass it, drive it. 'Point five.' That was the directive. You've got half a second. You've got a good shot, but he's got a great one. So you pass him the ball, and there it is. It's Summertime."

Golden State GM Bob Myers, who hired former San Antonio guard Steve Kerr as his head coach shortly before the Finals began, watched with keen interest as the Spurs imposed their "point five" will on LeBron and the Heat.

"You feel helpless when you are defending against that kind of system -- just helpless," Myers says. "After five passes, you throw your hands up because you've already made your seventh rotation on defense. That type of execution is demoralizing for teams to try to stop."

According to Basketball-Reference, the Spurs' offensive rating for Games 3-5 of the Finals (124.9) is the best on record for the past 29 seasons. The 1999-2000 Pacers (120.2) and the 1986-87 Celtics (120.2), each of whom lost the title in the years referenced, were tied for second

More here- http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/page/PresentsSpursHeat/how-spurs-2014-finals-performance-changed-nba-forever

If you've got some time, this is a good read. Talks about the Spurs offense in the finals ("summer time") with some takes from Battier, Larry Brown and others.

I don't typically post Spurs stuff here, but figured it's a change from the majority of the active threads.

ewing
06-10-2015, 12:08 AM
it sure isn't what we are seeing now. more then one way to skin a cat

kobe4thewinbang
06-10-2015, 12:08 AM
Definitely a good system. Funnily enough it was the Spurs defense and Chris Paul heroics that cost them round one.

Jarvo
06-10-2015, 01:05 AM
Man I wish I can just feel that moment again! Being here in Miami surrounded by all these Heat fans and finally getting that revenge and in the way they won it. I never seen offense played in such a dominant way!

Mr_Jones
06-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Best basketball I've ever seen.

kdspurman
06-10-2015, 09:39 AM
it sure isn't what we are seeing now. more then one way to skin a cat

I'd be shocked if we see something like that again to be honest

kdspurman
06-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Warriors should follow suit here-

McMullan gets exclusive insight into how the Spurs' offensive execution was not only designed to help them mask the lack of a dominant star but also affect the play of LeBron James:

It was also going to put additional, taxing responsibilities on the 6-foot-8, 240-pound frame of LeBron James, who played the game with the brute strength of an NFL linebacker. Making that powerful body rotate and switch and fly toward a bevy of 3-point shooters? By Pop's way of thinking, that was, by far, the best way to "contain" LeBron.

"You bet," Popovich says. "Let's say you have a great offensive player like Steph Curry. You want to make him work on defense, but to do that you need a great one-on-one player to give the ball to. We don't have a Kevin Durant, a LeBron, a James Harden, so we have to do it with pieces. And the only way to do that is to move the basketball and make the people guarding you move with it."