PDA

View Full Version : Jerry West in Today's NBA

Shammyguy3
06-09-2015, 07:08 PM
similar to the Barkley thread, although this might be more difficult to answer for many users since this is going farther back than the 80s. Simple question: If West played in today's NBA, what would that change? Would he be valued more today than he was back then? Would he be considered higher up on the all-time list in today's game? Would he have higher peak numbers? Etc etc

ManRam
06-09-2015, 07:18 PM
First, if Jerry West played in today's NBA with the current media/fan climate, I can only imagine the scrutiny he'd see. 9 Finals, 1 Ring. We don't value getting to the Finals now. "Mr. Clutch"? He'd never attain that nickname.

These questions are always so tough. I think his game would translate rather well, depending on how he could shoot the three. That's the biggest make or break. I don't think if you snagged a player from the 60s and dropped him into the 2010s he'd do too well so comparing players cross-generations is always tough/silly...but he'd probably be more able to handle it than most his peers.

Chronz
06-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Hed be learning under different fundamentals. As he aged and the league got more athletic he showed a stunning level of adaptability going from a scorer to facilitater. In b4 someone thinks he was undersized.

c.c.
06-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Jerry West would get destroyed in today's NBA

bucketss
06-09-2015, 10:13 PM
seems like he can only dribble with one hand.

lamzoka
06-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Matthew Dallededova > Jerry West

c.c.
06-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Matthew Dallededova > Jerry West

Mike James > Jerry West

Raps08-09 Champ
06-09-2015, 10:31 PM
He'd probably do well enough.

He was a 2 way player back then and had range, even when they had no 3 point line. If he was in this ERA, he'd probably learn how to be an effective 3 point shooter while being a high usage SG. I'd say top 10 player in his prime.

Chronz
06-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Or hed be even better.

Nick O
06-10-2015, 12:40 AM
i think hed be a good number 2 on a good team

ewing
06-10-2015, 12:43 AM
i don't know. I actually thought of him in the greatest jump shooter thread. I never saw him play a game but i don't think i have seen a prettier jump shot in hightlights

Nick O
06-10-2015, 12:47 AM
i don't know. I actually thought of him in the greatest jump shooter thread. I never saw him play a game but i don't think i have seen a prettier jump shoot in hightlights

yup. hed still be a good shooter and thats always welcome in the nba.

Shammyguy3
06-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Would he be viewed as a top-4 SG of all time if he played in today's era? (Obviously Jordan/Kobe ahead of him, Wade I see an argument for/against)

cmellofan15
06-11-2015, 09:28 AM
seems like he can only dribble with one hand.

hahahaha i'm surprised no one else thought this was hilarious :shrug:

buck4493
06-11-2015, 01:07 PM
west aside, Bill Russell would not sniff the hall of fame if he played today let alone be considered an all time great.

Was WAy different ball. Wilt would be fine because of his size

archdevil84
06-11-2015, 01:14 PM
i always used him on myteam on NBA2k13 because he was so good. His shot was super easy and (almost) always went in. then again, pretty much any shot you took on 2k13 went in except fadeaway threes and leaning layups

JasonJohnHorn
06-11-2015, 10:19 PM
If West played today, assuming he'd been brought in today's climate and had the training and coaching players have, he'd be one of the best shooting guards easily.

The 9 finals and only one ring wouldn't be an issue, because it was only an issue then because the Celtics were clearly the better team, and the regional draft allowed them to stock up, and the lack of free agency prevented West from going to a real contender, and prevented the Lakers from improving their roster.

So... his FG% at the time was crazy high, though it would look average today. With today's training/coaching, I assume it would have been higher now than it was then. He'd also be one of the best rebounding point guards today (he would certainly play the point), and he would get CRAZY steals! They only counted steals his last season and he averaged 2.6 at thirty-one. I read his autobiography, and he said they'd get bonuses each night for steals and blocks, so they did count them, they just didn't record them. I think he said he typically came away with 4-6 a game, and Wilt frequently hit double-digits in blocks and got his share of steals as well. West was a fierce defender. I think that would translate really well.

He'd likely be like Kidd if Kidd had been a better scorer and passed a little less.

Hangtime
06-11-2015, 10:36 PM
He would probably better given todays' training, medical advances and rules. They played by very strict rules in the 60's. Can you imagine if players today were held by the same rules on how to dribble the ball? The game was held to a far more fundamental standard back then. Guys today would be breaking rules left and right and being called for it. West would probably be a little quicker and bigger as well as an intelligent fundamentally sound player. You don't have to be a freakish athletic player to ball. If a guy like Steve Nash can be great imagine what Jerry West could do.

alexander_37
06-11-2015, 10:51 PM
He'd be alot like Kidd IMO.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Or hed be even better.
I doubt it. He would hang but he wouldn't be as good as he was in the 60s.

NYKalltheway
06-12-2015, 10:01 AM
The NBA would probably not exist as we know it if Jerry West was absent from the past.

If it's just a talent 'transfer', then he'd be considered a top 5 player of all time or better based on the level of play and the hype some of the stars of this era get.

Shady66
06-12-2015, 10:29 AM
He would be a full time point guard in today's game.