PDA

View Full Version : Executives around NBA believe D’Angelo Russell could go 1 or 2 in upcoming draft

spreadeagle
06-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Most projections for how the NBA Draft will begin involve Karl-Anthony Towns and Jahlil Okafor going one and two (in some order) to the Timberwolves and the Lakers, with the Sixers scooping up D’Angelo Russell at three.

But as we get closer, both L.A. and Minnesota seem to be more carefully considering Russell.

The Timberwolves are thinking about him at one, which would be a bold but not completely crazy choice. And front office types believe the Lakers could grab him at two — partially because some feel Russell is worthy, but also because of who L.A. already has on its roster.

From Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com:

Away from the consensus, distanced from the assumptions, there is a logical case to be made for the Lakers to take Ohio State guard D’Angelo Russell with the second pick in the June 25 Draft and not simply inherit the big man the Timberwolves do not take at No. 1.

There is such a logical case, in fact, that front offices outside Los Angeles buy the premise without hesitation. Russell is considered that good — “I would take him No. 1,” said an executive with a team that isn’t picking high enough to be impacted by the top five being shuffled — and the Lakers have that unique of circumstances.

The thinking is that Okafor, while skilled offensively with an advanced low post game for someone of his age, is a duplication of Julius Randle, the Lakers rookie who missed all but opening night of last season with a fractured leg injury. It would make more sense, then, to add a stellar and dynamic scoring threat on the perimeter to complement Randle, and balance out the roster.
There are far too many what-ifs at this point to truly know which way a team is leaning. There will be individual workouts and interviews, like the one the Lakers held with Emmanuel Mudiay on Saturday, that will factor into all of these decisions. But what is becoming clear is that Russell is firmly in the mix to be considered at the top of this draft class.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/07/team-execs-theres-a-logical-case-to-be-made-for-lakers-selecting-dangelo-russell-with-no-2-pick-in-nba-draft/

GiantsSwaGG
06-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Lakers would be smart to draft Russell but they won't, he will be a sixer

Raidaz4Life
06-07-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm definitely not opposed to Russell at this point.

jerellh528
06-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Lakers would be smart to draft Russell but they won't, he will be a sixer

Watch the lakers trade down with philly and still get okafor + a philly pick lol.

KnicksorBust
06-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Would love to know what the Sixers would do if that happened.

Ups&Downs
06-07-2015, 09:11 PM

Mudiay 100% unless Hinkie thinks theres someone with more upside than Mudiay he can get in exchange for one of our big men

spreadeagle
06-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Mudiay 100% unless Hinkie thinks theres someone with more upside than Mudiay he can get in exchange for one of our big men
Knicks fans would be loving life if this is how draft went down haha

GiantsSwaGG
06-07-2015, 09:21 PM

this

The sixers are in love with Russell and Mudiay with Russell getting the edge. I just hope the Knicks draft Winslow lol

Hawkeye15
06-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Wolves are taking a big imo. The only reason this might float out there, is Philly wants Russell badly I think. Perhaps the Wolves would take an asset to move to #3, and take whatever big falls.

Still, just smokescreen imho.

LakerShow
06-07-2015, 09:28 PM
**** I would take him. Him and kat are my two favs.

GiantsSwaGG
06-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Wolves are taking a big imo. The only reason this might float out there, is Philly wants Russell badly I think. Perhaps the Wolves would take an asset to move to #3, and take whatever big falls.

Still, just smokescreen imho.

That's actually smart, the Wolves can still draft Russell and call the Sixers to draft which ever big falls and trade plus aquire more picks/players

IndyRealist
06-07-2015, 10:00 PM
This sounds like trade bait.

Lakers: Hey Philly really wants Russell. Let's put it out there that we're looking at him, and maybe Philly will send us a future pick and take back Nick Young to move up and get him. And we'll get Okafor anyway. Muhahahahaha.

bleedprple&gold
06-07-2015, 10:24 PM
This sounds like trade bait.

Lakers: Hey Philly really wants Russell. Let's put it out there that we're looking at him, and maybe Philly will send us a future pick and take back Nick Young to move up and get him. And we'll get Okafor anyway. Muhahahahaha.

This is exactly what the Lakers should do. Philly put themselves in a corner by picking bigs the last two drafts. Now everybody knows they need a guard. You want your guy you gotta pay up.

mike_noodles
06-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Smokescreen.

Stunner
06-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Best player in the draft

naps
06-08-2015, 12:14 AM
Lakers want Philly's assets lol

bucketss
06-08-2015, 12:30 AM
there was talk embid could go 1st last year, and back in 2011 there were people saying cavs could skip on irving and take derrick williams. i never believe this kind of stuff.

FraziersKnicks
06-08-2015, 05:23 AM
I don't think it's as simple as some people are making it out. Philly want Russell but if the Lakers take him then Mudiay is still available. Philly are reportedly quite high on Mudiay because he's more of a PURE PG that D'Angelo. I don't think they would give up significant assets to trade up for Russell if Mudiay is gonna be available.

As fun as it is thinking teams will trade up that high in the draft, it rarely happens. I'm actually hoping Mudiay has an incredible workout with the Sixers and they take him leaving Russell to fall to us at #4. Or the Lakers take Russell at #2 leaving the Sixers to take Mudiay and Okafor falling to #4.

I also wouldn't mind swapping Calderon and #4 to Denver for Lawson and #7 and drafting Justise Winslow. Then throwing all our cap at Marc Gasol or Monroe and Lopez.

PurpleLynch
06-08-2015, 07:02 AM
Smoke screens everywhere...

2-ONE-5
06-08-2015, 08:44 AM

take Okafor or Towns and let them dominate off the bench unless a strong offer came in for the pick to make it worth it. Seriously what 2nd unit is stopping Okafor?

STRIKERC
06-08-2015, 08:51 AM
I would really like to see the statement from Sam Hinkie that says he really wants D'angelo Russell.
I will be shocked if he told anybody what he's thinking.
But one thing i will say is don't bet on Hinkie trading up and giving away valuable assets. If LA picks Russell Hinkie might force NY to give up assets for Okafor.

Burkey3472
06-08-2015, 09:01 AM
My guess is if one of those guys feel they would take him and deal down to one of those teams in the 4-8 range and acquire as many assets as possible. Even if they kept him, they could split minutes with all 3 and potential trade one at seasons end if they all produce at a high level.

C-ross12
06-08-2015, 09:26 AM
I'd take Russell if I were running the Lakers.

Stunner
06-08-2015, 09:27 AM
How is mudiay more a pure pg than Russell ? I never got this . Now if you mean just playing the PG maybe but I don't think he's s better passer than Russell .

GiantsSwaGG
06-08-2015, 10:19 AM
How is mudiay more a pure pg than Russell ? I never got this . Now if you mean just playing the PG maybe but I don't think he's s better passer than Russell .

Mudiay is the better overall PG, Russell right now is more of a SG

Stunner
06-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Mudiay is the better overall PG, Russell right now is more of a SG

Didn't answer my question in terms of passing tho . IMO the only two areas Mudiay has him beat in his athleticism and prob defense .

xxplayerxx23
06-08-2015, 10:28 AM
take Okafor or Towns and let them dominate off the bench unless a strong offer came in for the pick to make it worth it. Seriously what 2nd unit is stopping Okafor?

Why would embidd start over oakfor? Not like he's proven anything

xxplayerxx23
06-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Didn't answer my question in terms of passing tho . IMO the only two areas Mudiay has him beat in his athleticism and prob defense .

Seems
To be a better finisher inside too

FraziersKnicks
06-08-2015, 10:31 AM

Russell is the flashier passer and might possess the better passing ability but Mudiay seems to have a higher IQ and reads the game with more poise. He looks like he's more accomplished in pick and rolls and driving and collapsing defenses.

Pretty much every NBA comparison has Mudiay in the Wall/Holiday build and Russell down as more of a Brandon Roy/James Harden kind of player. Very skilled passers but not a pure PG like a Wall/Holiday type.

FraziersKnicks
06-08-2015, 10:38 AM

Pretty much every "expert" opinion I've heard about Mudiay is he has a great feel for the game and is a very poised, high IQ player. He dwarfs most NBA PG's at 6'5, 210 pounds (he's put on 9 pounds of muscle leading up to the draft) and he's still only 19. That size allows him to see over defenses and will definitely give him a chance to develop a post game further on in his NBA career.

One of his strongest points is his interior finishing as well, which Russell really struggles with.

FraziersKnicks
06-08-2015, 10:46 AM
To sum up I think:

D'Angelo Russell: Shooting, scoring, ball handling, passing

Emmanuel Mudiay: Size, athleticism, IQ, defense, finishing at the rim

Pretty much a draw in terms of rebounding.

Both are gonna be very good, high potential guards.

Stunner
06-08-2015, 10:53 AM
The Iq debate is a draw and Russell is poised and highly confident as well .

Im really counting Mudiays comp against him , I'm sorry but I don't even think the China league is better than the college level. Nobody plays any defense over there .

2-ONE-5
06-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Why would embidd start over oakfor? Not like he's proven anything

Embiid has higher potential as a 2 way player and has more range to help create space along side Noel. Also we have had Embiid here for a full year and we seem to be committed to him I would fully expect him to start but he is going to be limited early on so plenty of min to go around.

FraziersKnicks
06-08-2015, 11:11 AM
The Iq debate is a draw and Russell is poised and highly confident as well .

Im really counting Mudiays comp against him , I'm sorry but I don't even think the China league is better than the college level. Nobody plays any defense over there .

I think an advantage Mudiay had playing in China was the 24 second shot clock. That's why I think he transitions quicker to the NBA than Russell because that 35 to 24 difference is most important for offense initiating PG's.

I think the fact Mudiay was a consensus top 2 pick before he decided to go to China is a good sign of his potential. He hurt his stock going to China but I don't think it will have hurt his ability as a player.

bleedprple&gold
06-08-2015, 01:16 PM
there was talk embid could go 1st last year, and back in 2011 there were people saying cavs could skip on irving and take derrick williams. i never believe this kind of stuff.

Embiid didn't go 1st because of his injuries, not because it was a smokescreen.

PhillyFaninLA
06-08-2015, 01:53 PM
I think the Lakers and Wolves are doing there do diligence, of course he's in consideration. I think Towns to Minnesota and Okafer to the Lakers just makes too much sense....honestly if one of them do take Russell (which I hope the Sixers do get him) then we have leverage taking whichever big is left and trade him and probably get another first rounder next year and get Mudaiy 4 - 7 or even Winslow.

I certainly think Towns or Okafer could net a future first, maybe even 2 years from now (if not next year when we could have I think 4 or 5 picks in the top 20) and we still get a quality guard. Winston could become a steal outside of the top 5.

Alan Shore
06-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Lakers and Wolves must be crazy to not pick Towns and Okafor.

PraiseJesus
06-08-2015, 09:18 PM
For all your Mudiay honks - check out this article

D'Angelo Russell is a better prospect than Emmanuel Mudiay, and it's not really close

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/8/8743215/dangelo-russell-emmanuel-mudiay-nba-draft-rankings-2015

PraiseJesus
06-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Ive heard from a few different sources now that the TWOLVES are trying desperately to move Rubio because they want to draft DLO #1.

The last article I read said the KNICKS could be a potential trade partner - swapping their #4 pick for Rubio and perhaps another later draft pick.

I was hoping that the media would come around and realize that DLO was the best player in this draft - but I honestly never thought he would be considered at #1....

I just want the Lakers to get him

GiantsSwaGG
06-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Ive heard from a few different sources now that the TWOLVES are trying desperately to move Rubio because they want to draft DLO #1.

The last article I read said the KNICKS could be a potential trade partner - swapping their #4 pick for Rubio and perhaps another later draft pick.

I was hoping that the media would come around and realize that DLO was the best player in this draft - but I honestly never thought he would be considered at #1....

So the Knicks trade their 4th for Rubio?

:laugh2:

PraiseJesus
06-08-2015, 10:31 PM

Knicks to trade No. 4 pick for Ricky Rubio?

WRITTEN BY TREVOR CONLEY POSTED: 06/08/2015, 11:27AM

According to ESPN’s Chad Ford, the Minnesota Timberwolves are offering up a trade for Ricky Rubio and are very much interesting in grabbing another top pick in the draft to select D’Angelo Russell.

http://nyc.suntimes.com/new-york-knicks/7/86/217450/knicks-trade-4-pick-ricky-rubio

PowerHouse
06-08-2015, 10:43 PM

*off topic* In regards to your sig photo, lmao!

Good lord LBJ's hair plugs are wearing thin, dude needs to schedule another visit to the hair doctor like asap.

bucketss
06-08-2015, 10:52 PM
http://nyc.suntimes.com/new-york-knicks/7/86/217450/knicks-trade-4-pick-ricky-rubio

and what makes the wolves think Dangelo will be available at 4? i would swap picks with philly in their effort to move rubio.

PraiseJesus
06-08-2015, 10:54 PM
and what makes the wolves think Dangelo will be available at 4? i would swap picks with philly in their effort to move rubio.

They would pick DLO at #1 and Rubio would be gone which opens a spot for DLO

xxplayerxx23
06-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Oh god no

MTar786
06-08-2015, 11:52 PM
i dont understand how people can pass up on russell. i think he is going to be a stud. please lakers draft him

bleedprple&gold
06-09-2015, 12:31 AM

That would be beyond dumb. Apparently even the greatest coach of all-time can't run the Knicks properly.

Mave1002
06-09-2015, 01:40 AM

Yay! I like the word desperate :clap:

Okafor or KAT in Purp&Gold

Make it a three way tango rape. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q4uls89

LAL in: #4 via NYK, Kmart-Shved
NYK in: Rubio-Bennett, #27 via Lakers, #31 via Wolves
Minn in: Randle-Bargnani-Swaggy

#2: Okafor
#4: Winslow
#34: Upshaw or Christmas

Tip-Off:

Okafor-Upshaw
Davis-Black
Middleton-Winslow
Kobe-Brown
Clarkson-Buycks

numba1CHANGsta
06-09-2015, 01:45 AM
Man this draft class has a lot of potential of being one of the best

Corey
06-09-2015, 02:25 AM
I buy the hype.

I'm really high on Russell. I think he's unquestionably #2, but I really really like him as a player. I think he's a star.

jerellh528
06-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Can't wait for the draft. Seems as thought the lakers are playing a bit of mind games with their public "leaks" of really liking dlo.

Mave1002
06-09-2015, 02:42 AM
Can't wait for the draft. Seems as thought the lakers are playing a bit of mind games with their public "leaks" of really liking dlo.

+1. Do people think that the Mitch and co. are stupid enough to pass on Bigs of this caliber? this is a rare opportunity, and please for the nth time!!! Guards are a dime dozen. No offense meant.

JNA17
06-09-2015, 03:10 AM
+1. Do people think that the Mitch and co. are stupid enough to pass on Bigs of this caliber? this is a rare opportunity, and please for the nth time!!! Guards are a dime dozen. No offense meant.

Pretty much.

Good Guards are a dime a dozen. No matter how good they are. And we already have Clarkson to lead at point. However, Versatile bigs like Towns, or the most gifted back to the basket game since Tim Duncan like Okafor? NOW THAT is a rarity. A rarity that helps teams win more championships than any guard could.

With that said, Towns, Okafor, and Russell. ALL 3 will be stars. Very top 3 loaded this year. I would however defeinitly choose a future star center over a star guard any day, unless Russell is somehow the next Michael Jordan and the Lakers have assurance for free agency that we are guaranteed to sign DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol. Which is a very slim chance.

So the answer here is the big since BPA is debatable for either of the 3 while the bigger need is Center.

PraiseJesus
06-09-2015, 03:13 AM
I buy the hype.

I'm really high on Russell. I think he's unquestionably #2, but I really really like him as a player. I think he's a star.

Agree. DLO is a stud

JNA17
06-09-2015, 03:45 AM
Agree. DLO is a stud

I really hope you will stay here when we draft Okafor/Towns. Please be ok when that happens. We love you. :(

Mave1002
06-09-2015, 03:51 AM
Pretty much.

Good Guards are a dime a dozen. No matter how good they are. And we already have Clarkson to lead at point. However, Versatile bigs like Towns, or the most gifted back to the basket game since Tim Duncan like Okafor? NOW THAT is a rarity. A rarity that helps teams win more championships than any guard could.

With that said, Towns, Okafor, and Russell. ALL 3 will be stars. Very top 3 loaded this year. I would however defeinitly choose a future star center over a star guard any day, unless Russell is somehow the next Michael Jordan and the Lakers have assurance for free agency that we are guaranteed to sign DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol. Which is a very slim chance.

So the answer here is the big since BPA is debatable for either of the 3 while the bigger need is Center.

Thank you. I think people are truly overreacting with the Steph Curry comparison (not that Im disregarding the OKAFOR-TIMMY D resemblance) especially with how he helped carry his team into this years' finals.. point is, shooting is shooting and it can be developed.

Shooting comes EVERY YEAR. There will always be shooters. There will always be guards.

Pure, dinosaur like, big-men are extinct and I believe that height is still the might in this league, package that with great footwork, youth and an NBA ready body, Okafor's your guy.

But hey, id be all smiles if KAT lands at #2. Okafor-KAT, all day.

PraiseJesus
06-09-2015, 04:08 AM
Gatta get the superstar DLO

Mave1002
06-09-2015, 04:17 AM
Gatta get the superstar DLO

Too early to say. Wasnt Johnny Flynn a stud in college?

PhillyFaninLA
06-09-2015, 05:22 AM

Why would we want Rubio and not get the guy we want

tmacmamba
06-09-2015, 07:47 AM
D'Angelo Russell = Brandon Roy in his prime.

2-ONE-5
06-09-2015, 08:46 AM

hahahaah you have no sources

Corey
06-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Too early to say. Wasnt Johnny Flynn a stud in college?

Johnny Flynn wasn't a 6'5 lefty that could defend 2 positions, shoot 40% from deep, and consistently set up his teammates and make them better.

I haven't read through this thread, but I see a lot of Brandon Roy in him. That type of player. He has better vision than Roy, but he's a leader, he's confident, he's very talented...I think he's the real deal. His jumper is wet, his ball handling is tight, he sees passing lanes before they develop, he's sure of himself and doesn't play intimidated, and he does a lot of little things that dont show up in the stat sheet.

He's also one of the better pick and roll guards I've seen at his age in a while. If he goes to LA and Randle turns into anything, they're going to be monsters on the P&R together.

Stunner
06-09-2015, 11:54 AM
No Flynn wasn't a stud in college

bucketss
06-09-2015, 12:21 PM
D'Angelo Russell = Brandon Roy in his prime.

The Lakers would have to be insane to pass on Okafor/Towns for him. Why would LA draft him when they already have Jordan Clarkson? I could see why Minnesota would want him but they can't pass on Towns.

if russel is indeed roy in his prime, i would take him 1st.

da ThRONe
06-09-2015, 12:38 PM
if russel is indeed roy in his prime, i would take him 1st.

Clearly that guy doesn't remember Roy in his prime.

Stunner
06-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Roy was on his way to become the 2nd best SG in the league , yes over Wade .

2-ONE-5
06-09-2015, 01:21 PM
hah Roy never really made it to his prime sadly

RLundi
06-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Roy was on his way to become the 2nd best SG in the league , yes over Wade .

No way, Wade had a better start to his career than Roy and only got better. Wade at one point WAS the best SG in the league. That was never gonna happen with Roy.

KingPosey
06-09-2015, 02:01 PM
There is a report out this morning that Rondo is likely to sign with the Kings which could affect what team like LA does I suppose.

I HHHHAAAAATTTTTTEEEE the idea of Rondo for my Kings. I just don't want it what so ever.

KingPosey
06-09-2015, 02:07 PM
No way, Wade had a better start to his career than Roy and only got better. Wade at one point WAS the best SG in the league. That was never gonna happen with Roy.

I don't think he was talking about peak vs peak, I think he was assuming Roy peaking while Wade declined.

JustinTime
06-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Jesus told him

2-ONE-5
06-09-2015, 02:28 PM
There is a report out this morning that Rondo is likely to sign with the Kings which could affect what team like LA does I suppose.

I HHHHAAAAATTTTTTEEEE the idea of Rondo for my Kings. I just don't want it what so ever.

there wont be any impact since the draft comes first

KingPosey
06-09-2015, 03:10 PM
there wont be any impact since the draft comes first

That doesn't mean it wouldn't affect a team's draft board. Because it would.

jerellh528
06-09-2015, 03:21 PM

I feel your pain. He's been linked to the lakers forever. He's my nightmare lol

2-ONE-5
06-09-2015, 03:45 PM
That doesn't mean it wouldn't affect a team's draft board. Because it would.

how can it if a player isnt signed or hasnt even received an offer? its no different than all these pre draft smoke screens when we all know who si going 1-2-3

sixer04fan
06-09-2015, 03:46 PM
I think the interest in Russell at 2 is legit. More than just a smokescreen. Would still be surprising though. I can't wait for the draft. There's a lot more intrigue in who's going where at the top than I thought there would be.

As a Sixers fan, I'm hoping for one of the guards. At the same time, it's still a can't-lose if "forced" to take Okafor at 3. Even with Noel/Embiid in the fold. How can you be mad about getting Okafor at 3? Pretty excited, but pretty nervous to see what happens.

Gibby23
06-09-2015, 03:55 PM

A washed up 30 year old PG that can't shoot isn't going to change what LA does.

GiantsSwaGG
06-09-2015, 04:25 PM

:facepalm: he might be the best sources in the world, everything he predicted, was true

TylerSL
06-09-2015, 05:06 PM
The Timberwolves are taking a big (expect Towns), so Russell won't go #1 overall. However, the Lakers at #2 are a different story. I personally believe it would be in the Lakers best interest to take Russell with the #2 pick not only because they could just sign a center this summer, but because I really believe Russell is the best player in the draft.

D'Angelo Russell would change the entire look of the Lakers franchise. He would without a doubt be the obvious face of the franchise once Kobe retires and the Lakers could compete faster with Russell. Assuming that Towns will go #1, if the Lakers take Jahlil Okafor with the #2 pick, it is very doubtful they do anything next year. There are not many free agent PG's they could target and Rondo isn't the answer at point. With no elite PG available, the Lakers would probably sign Rondo or just bring Lin back (or both). Then maybe they could bring in someone like Wesley Matthews or DeMarre Carroll at SF. So if they take Okafor their lineup next year could be something like

PG. Rondo/Lin
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Carroll/Young
PF. Randle/Boozer?/Kelly
C. Okafor/fill

That's not a playoff team in the Western Conference. That might get you #7 or #8 in the East (longshot) but not in the West. That team would probably lose between 45 and 50 games next season. That team is better defensively but outside of Kobe there isn't much offense. Okafor is more old fashioned, slow paced back to the basket big rather than one who can draw opposing bigs out of the post. So that team would be a slow paced, defensive team that relies on Kobe to do the bulk of the scoring. The Lakers will have a huge amount of space in 2016 and will look to sign the next face of their franchise in free agency if this is the route they go.

On the flip side there is a much greater pool of free agent centers than point guards. If the Lakers fill their PG hole with Russell, they could be in the mix to sign Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, or D'Andre Jordan. I honestly don't see Aldridge going to Los Angeles instead preferring somewhere like Dallas or San Antonio. So even without Aldridge, the Lakers would be in a prime position to sign Gasol or Jordan. If the rumors are true that D'Andre Jordan really doesn't like Chris Paul and would want to leave the Clippers, the Lakers would be a perfect fit. He would stay in Los Angeles, better yet he would still play in the Staples Center. The only thing he would have to change is what practice facility he goes to.

Marc Gasol could be presented with a max contract and the Lakers could pitch for him to come to Los Angeles and win just like his older brother did. The Lakers could sign Gasol (or Jordan) now to play with Russell/Kobe and then next year when the cap explodes and Kobe's contract comes off the books on top of it, the Lakers would have all the money in the world to spend again in 2016. Under this scenario rather than looking for a franchise cornerstone in free agency, they would simply be looking to add a star player or two to the Russell/Gasol (or Jordan) pairing. However, the Lakers wouldn't have much space left this summer after drafting Russell and signing either Gasol or Jordan, so they could walk into next year something like

PG. Russell/fill
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Young
PF. Randle/Boozer?/Kelly
C. Gasol or Jordan/fill

That team could get into the playoffs next season. With Russell at point they would be faster paced team and with Russell/Kobe in the back court and Gasol in the post, they wouldn't have any trouble scoring. Defensively they would have trouble on the perimeter but not so much in the post with Randle/Gasol or Jordan. The team would also lack depth, but between the star power and the offensive potential this Laker team could go farther than the Laker team that drafts Okafor. Giving Kobe a chance to make the playoffs one more time would also somewhat right the wrong the organization has done to him. They ruined the twilight years of his career and it's been miserable in LA for 2 years now and the team has under-performed for the last 3 years (remember Nash/Kobe/Pau/Dwight???).

Giving Kobe a chance to do something next year would help and giving the fans actually something to go see would help too. This is the Los Angeles Lakers we're talking about, the greatest basketball franchise in the history of the sport. It's just pathetic what they've put out on the court the last two years. They have a chance to not only immediately be on the rise, but to also take back the city of Los Angeles once and for all. The Clippers choked so badly that people see them differently now. People see Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in a dimmer light since their collapse. Los Angeles is ripe for the taking for the Lakers once more. They just have to draft D'Angelo Russell and let the rest of the pieces fall where they may.

-end of speech.

buck4493
06-09-2015, 05:26 PM
The Timberwolves are taking a big (expect Towns), so Russell won't go #1 overall. However, the Lakers at #2 are a different story. I personally believe it would be in the Lakers best interest to take Russell with the #2 pick not only because they could just sign a center this summer, but because I really believe Russell is the best player in the draft.

D'Angelo Russell would change the entire look of the Lakers franchise. He would without a doubt be the obvious face of the franchise once Kobe retires and the Lakers could compete faster with Russell. Assuming that Towns will go #1, if the Lakers take Jahlil Okafor with the #2 pick, it is very doubtful they do anything next year. There are not many free agent PG's they could target and Rondo isn't the answer at point. With no elite PG available, the Lakers would probably sign Rondo or just bring Lin back (or both). Then maybe they could bring in someone like Wesley Matthews or DeMarre Carroll at SF. So if they take Okafor their lineup next year could be something like

PG. Rondo/Lin
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Carroll/Young
PF. Randle/Boozer?/Kelly
C. Okafor/fill

That's not a playoff team in the Western Conference. That might get you #7 or #8 in the East (longshot) but not in the West. That team would probably lose between 45 and 50 games next season. That team is better defensively but outside of Kobe there isn't much offense. Okafor is more old fashioned, slow paced back to the basket big rather than one who can draw opposing bigs out of the post. So that team would be a slow paced, defensive team that relies on Kobe to do the bulk of the scoring. The Lakers will have a huge amount of space in 2016 and will look to sign the next face of their franchise in free agency if this is the route they go.

On the flip side there is a much greater pool of free agent centers than point guards. If the Lakers fill their PG hole with Russell, they could be in the mix to sign Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, or D'Andre Jordan. I honestly don't see Aldridge going to Los Angeles instead preferring somewhere like Dallas or San Antonio. So even without Aldridge, the Lakers would be in a prime position to sign Gasol or Jordan. If the rumors are true that D'Andre Jordan really doesn't like Chris Paul and would want to leave the Clippers, the Lakers would be a perfect fit. He would stay in Los Angeles, better yet he would still play in the Staples Center. The only thing he would have to change is what practice facility he goes to.

Marc Gasol could be presented with a max contract and the Lakers could pitch for him to come to Los Angeles and win just like his older brother did. The Lakers could sign Gasol (or Jordan) now to play with Russell/Kobe and then next year when the cap explodes and Kobe's contract comes off the books on top of it, the Lakers would have all the money in the world to spend again in 2016. Under this scenario rather than looking for a franchise cornerstone in free agency, they would simply be looking to add a star player or two to the Russell/Gasol (or Jordan) pairing. However, the Lakers wouldn't have much space left this summer after drafting Russell and signing either Gasol or Jordan, so they could walk into next year something like

PG. Russell/fill
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Young
PF. Randle/Boozer?/Kelly
C. Gasol or Jordan/fill

That team could get into the playoffs next season. With Russell at point they would be faster paced team and with Russell/Kobe in the back court and Gasol in the post, they wouldn't have any trouble scoring. Defensively they would have trouble on the perimeter but not so much in the post with Randle/Gasol or Jordan. The team would also lack depth, but between the star power and the offensive potential this Laker team could go farther than the Laker team that drafts Okafor. Giving Kobe a chance to make the playoffs one more time would also somewhat right the wrong the organization has done to him. They ruined the twilight years of his career and it's been miserable in LA for 2 years now and the team has under-performed for the last 3 years (remember Nash/Kobe/Pau/Dwight???).

Giving Kobe a chance to do something next year would help and giving the fans actually something to go see would help too. This is the Los Angeles Lakers we're talking about, the greatest basketball franchise in the history of the sport. It's just pathetic what they've put out on the court the last two years. They have a chance to not only immediately be on the rise, but to also take back the city of Los Angeles once and for all. The Clippers choked so badly that people see them differently now. People see Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in a dimmer light since their collapse. Los Angeles is ripe for the taking for the Lakers once more. They just have to draft D'Angelo Russell and let the rest of the pieces fall where they may.

-end of speech.

If lakers want russell and i was twolves i would make them well aware i was taking russell. Force their hand. get that othr pick lakers have for them to move up one spot.

buck4493
06-09-2015, 05:28 PM

PG. Rondo/Lin
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Carroll/Young
PF. Randle/Boozer?/Kelly
C. Okafor/fill

PG. Russell/fill
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Young
PF. Randle/Boozer?/Kelly
C. Gasol or Jordan/fill

-end of speech.

and gasol can get more money from memphis and has a far better chance to win in Memphis. Mem is right in mix for a title. Injuries crushed them in playoffs

buck4493
06-09-2015, 05:31 PM
The NBA player he has tried to model himself after, and is a bit of a suprise to hear a young kid pick is Manu Ginobli.

probably not a bad guy to study

TylerSL
06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
If lakers want russell and i was twolves i would make them well aware i was taking russell. Force their hand. get that othr pick lakers have for them to move up one spot.

If Minny actually did take Russell #1, the the Lakers take Towns at #2, move Randle up to SF, and still go after Gasol or D'Andre Jordan. But if I'm LA I stick with the #2 pick and do either, although hoping Minny takes Okafor or Towns #1.

JNA17
06-09-2015, 05:46 PM
"I've always won. I won the state championship, national championship, gold medals, all that," he said. "I would love to come here and have the opportunity to win an NBA championship." - Jahill Okafor

Sounds like a winner to me. :cool:

TylerSL
06-09-2015, 05:50 PM
and gasol can get more money from memphis and has a far better chance to win in Memphis. Mem is right in mix for a title. Injuries crushed them in playoffs

Maybe, though I doubt Memphis ever wins a title with their current group. If the Lakers can't get Gasol then they should focus all of their attention of D'Andre Jordan, either would work really. One would just prefer Gasol between the two. But if Gasol did sign with the Lakers they woudn't have much chance of winning in 2015-2016, but after.......

The combination of Russell/Gasol with like $40-50 million in space in 2016 would be enticing for any would be free agent. If the Lakers make this case to Gasol he would be a fool not to at least consider it.

buck4493
06-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Quick question on another player, why is Frank Kaminsky not in the top 5??

buck4493
06-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Maybe, though I doubt Memphis ever wins a title with their current group. If they can't get Gasol then they should focus all of their attention of D'Andre Jordan, either would work really one would just prefer Gasol between the two. If Gasol did sign with the Lakers they woudn't have much chance of winning in 2015-2016, but after.......

The combination of Russell/Gasol with like $40-50 million in space in 2016 would be enticing for any would be free agent. If the Lakers make this case to Gasol he would be a fool not to at least consider it.

oh yeah id consider, but Memphis doesn;t need a lot. They can win a title with that current group. were up 2-1 on GS before conley injury, then tony allen went down as well. They are a damn good team.

TylerSL
06-09-2015, 06:00 PM
oh yeah id consider, but Memphis doesn;t need a lot. They can win a title with that current group. were up 2-1 on GS before conley injury, then tony allen went down as well. They are a damn good team.

I personally believe Gasol will either stay in Memphis or sign with San Antonio, but the Lakers are the 3rd option and he should be the goal for the Lakers. I'm not even 100% sure the Lakers take Russell with the #2 pick, I really believe they should because if I running an NBA team, I'd be swinging for the fences more often than not. My guess however is the Lakers either take Okafor and sign a wing player this summer or take Russell and steal D'Andre Jordan from the Clippers. I'd do the latter.

buck4493
06-09-2015, 06:03 PM
I believe Gasol will either stay in Memphis or sign with San Antonio, but the Lakers are the 3rd option and he should be the goal for the Lakers. I'm not even 100% sure the Lakers take Russell with the #2 pick, I really believe they should because if I running an NBA team, I'd be swinging for the fences all the time. My guess however is the Lakers either take Okafor and sign a wing player this summer or take Russell and steal D'Andre Jordan from the Clippers. I'd do the latter.

If you're picking that high you have to hit, doesn;t matter what the need is. You have to take the guy who will become the franchise.

I'm just not sure either big is that franchise changer. Russell definitley can be.

Teeboy1487
06-09-2015, 06:28 PM
I prefer Okafor over Rusell for my Lakers. Better piece to build around imo.

RLundi
06-09-2015, 06:43 PM

Because he's a white American (though probably not technically). There's a huge bias against non-European white guys. If he was living and playing overseas, he'd be the next Sabonis or something.

bleedprple&gold
06-09-2015, 06:46 PM

And why would the Lakers let it be known they want Russell? That would just be dumb...

The only way they would say something like would be as a smokescreen if say they wanted Towns so Minny won't pick them.

sixer04fan
06-09-2015, 07:14 PM

Primary reason is he did what he did as a 4-year senior... He's 3 years older than anyone being considered for the top 5.

That's not a knock on him, but it's all about projecting upside for these prospects. He's more likely to be much closer to his ceiling right now than any of the 19 year olds.

And there is a degree of fair reason to be wary of players who start to produce big in their junior/senior years, because they're just so much more developed and experienced. For example, if Kaminsky had declared for the draft after his freshman year, to compare him with other players in this draft class... He averaged 1.8 PPG his freshman season, and he would have went undrafted obviously. On the flip side, if Jahlil Okafor or Karl Towns stay in college for 4 years, they would be DOMINATING by their senior seasons. So it's all about perspective for evaluating and projecting these prospects.

And all that aside, he's still looking like he could go top 10, which is rare for a 4-year college senior these days. So that speaks to how NBA teams think he can produce at the next level. He belongs in the league. He can be a good 6th man and may work his way into being a solid starter. But let's not pretend that he has star potential, which is what you aim for in a top 5 pick.

sixer04fan
06-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Because he's a white American (though probably not technically). There's a huge bias against non-European white guys. If he was living and playing overseas, he'd be the next Sabonis or something.

Ehh... It really has nothing to do with that. If Kaminsky came in as a freshman and played the way he did this year as a 4-year senior, he'd certainly be a top 5 pick. White American and all.

DillyDill
06-10-2015, 12:44 AM

PG. Rondo/Lin
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Carroll/Young
PF. Randle/Boozer?/Kelly
C. Okafor/fill

PG. Russell/fill
SG. Kobe/Clarkson
SF. Young
PF. Randle/Boozer?/Kelly
C. Gasol or Jordan/fill

-end of speech.

Beautiful said, but what happens if we can't land Gasol or DJ?

Sssmush
06-10-2015, 05:25 AM
Lakers are in a solid spot.

It's a tough choice between KAT and Russell, but both players look like sure things. There's no doubts about KAT the way there were for Oden, for example.

Taking Russell is super compelling because it could be extreme value, like taking a James Harden, a Curry, a CP3, etc. You could be getting a top 10 or top 5 NBA player possibly. And in today's game the Russell type of player might just be more valuable.

But on the other hand if you wind up with KAT you are still doing super great. While he is maybe not an Anthony Davis... but then again who knows he might be better in some ways, maybe less spazzy or something.

But the point is that KAT plays great defense too, so he fits the Lakers roster perfectly. Whereas Okafor really overlaps with Randle. Randle + Kat though is a nasty frontcourt that the Lakers would roll with in a second.

The other conspiracy angle no one has mentioned here is that the KLove management team might not like it that the Lakers take an Okafor or a KAT because then it evaporates any possibility of the Lakers wasting all their capspace on signing KLove. Who may or may not be the invaluable awesome championship centerpiece of a championship team but who knows because nobody's seen him play in the playoffs except for two games.
So, let Cleveland have him, or sign back in Minnesota or whatever.

If Lakers draft KAT, they make a max offer for Butler. If Lakers draft Russell, they make a max offer for Deandre Jordan. Double the fun. KLove just doesn't fit in the equation.

If Lakers had the #1 pick the decision is tougher... Honestly Russell is super intriguing but if you had the #1 pick you probably have to take KAT its just too much value there. But it's super close decision so you don't have to think about it too hard. One or the other doesn't matter.

PraiseJesus
06-10-2015, 05:39 AM
Lakers are in a solid spot.

It's a tough choice between KAT and Russell, but both players look like sure things. There's no doubts about KAT the way there were for Oden, for example.

Taking Russell is super compelling because it could be extreme value, like taking a James Harden, a Curry, a CP3, etc. You could be getting a top 10 or top 5 NBA player possibly. And in today's game the Russell type of player might just be more valuable.

But on the other hand if you wind up with KAT you are still doing super great. While he is maybe not an Anthony Davis... but then again who knows he might be better in some ways, maybe less spazzy or something.

But the point is that KAT plays great defense too, so he fits the Lakers roster perfectly. Whereas Okafor really overlaps with Randle. Randle + Kat though is a nasty frontcourt that the Lakers would roll with in a second.

The other conspiracy angle no one has mentioned here is that the KLove management team might not like it that the Lakers take an Okafor or a KAT because then it evaporates any possibility of the Lakers wasting all their capspace on signing KLove. Who may or may not be the invaluable awesome championship centerpiece of a championship team but who knows because nobody's seen him play in the playoffs except for two games.
So, let Cleveland have him, or sign back in Minnesota or whatever.

If Lakers draft KAT, they make a max offer for Butler. If Lakers draft Russell, they make a max offer for Deandre Jordan. Double the fun. KLove just doesn't fit in the equation.

If Lakers had the #1 pick the decision is tougher... Honestly Russell is super intriguing but if you had the #1 pick you probably have to take KAT its just too much value there. But it's super close decision so you don't have to think about it too hard. One or the other doesn't matter.

To me it matters big time.

You gotta pick Dlo for the reasons you mentioned - Extreme value.

KAT is going to go #1 IMO so the pick is between Okafor and Russell.

If that is the case I go Russell 100 out of 100 times. Don't forget the fact that bigs are more likely to be busts and are, of course, more injury prone

At the very least - I can't understand the legions of people that believe there are 2 bigs at the top of this draft and that they should obviously go 1 and 2 no matter what.

Any reasonable person should see that taking a guard like Russell is a compelling option

Sssmush
06-10-2015, 05:41 AM
Uhhhh.... regarding what I said above ^ .... I just looked at some film again and honestly I think Okafor is definitely in the mix.

Regardless of what the scouting projections are saying... I think you have to consider Okafor for #1.

I'm tempted to say it is Okafor and Russell tied for #1, with KAT in third place. Sorry I got caught up in the projection that KAT is the presumptive #1.

Again, if Lakers take Okafor at #2 that is fine, KLove is not our problem and we could try to max Butler. If the Lakers had the #1 pick then I'd say it is really a choice between Okafor and Russell.

If Minnesota takes Okafor #1 then for Lakers it is simple just take Russell. If Minnesota takes KAT #1 then it is wide open between Russell and Okafor.

keep in mind this is just my raw speculation

Sssmush
06-10-2015, 05:48 AM
To me it matters big time.

You gotta pick Dlo for the reasons you mentioned - Extreme value.

KAT is going to go #1 IMO so the pick is between Okafor and Russell.

If that is the case I go Russell 100 out of 100 times. Don't forget the fact that bigs are more likely to be busts and are, of course, more injury prone

At the very least - I can't understand the legions of people that believe there are 2 bigs at the top of this draft and that they should obviously go 1 and 2 no matter what.

Any reasonable person should see that taking a guard like Russell is a compelling option

Yeah... I tend to agree with you.

again, as I thought about this a bit more and revisited youtube for some highlight footage it seems to me that if the Lakers were picking #1 the choice is actually between Okafor and Russell.

and I do totally see the logic of taking Russell at #1 it is very compelling. The problem is that Okafor seems to have the look of a Tim Duncan or something... that dude looks really right. Right as rain. Like still starting in the all star game twenty years from now with five rings.

so I don't know. Obviously Russell would be a suweeet player for the Lakers to add. But I have no way to quantify the factors for a comparison between Okafor and Russell. KAT probably drops to 4 for the Knicks, with 76rs taking Mudiay since they don't mind wild reaches.

PraiseJesus
06-10-2015, 06:38 AM
Yeah... I tend to agree with you.

again, as I thought about this a bit more and revisited youtube for some highlight footage it seems to me that if the Lakers were picking #1 the choice is actually between Okafor and Russell.

and I do totally see the logic of taking Russell at #1 it is very compelling. The problem is that Okafor seems to have the look of a Tim Duncan or something... that dude looks really right. Right as rain. Like still starting in the all star game twenty years from now with five rings.

so I don't know. Obviously Russell would be a suweeet player for the Lakers to add. But I have no way to quantify the factors for a comparison between Okafor and Russell. KAT probably drops to 4 for the Knicks, with 76rs taking Mudiay since they don't mind wild reaches.

Okafor has a polished post game. THere is no doubt. But keep in mind that his offensive game is hampered by the fact that he shoot 50% from the FT line.

Typically, when a C shoots a FT% like that he is also a dominant defensive player. Being that Okafor is definitely not that I think it handicaps his effectiveness as an offensive threat in important games. If im the other team I wil lsimply foul him if he gets the ball in a good spot - he will amke 1 of 2- then we can blow by him for a layup on the other side..

AS far as KAT goes - I think you need to look at his workout videos from last week. ITs obvious that he was sacrificing his game for the good of the team. The guy can handle the ball like a guard, dunk like lebron, and has a great touch from the outside with a smooth jumper. This is on top of his great defensive skills. It's tough to not consider KAT the #1 pick imo.

DLO is a complete player with a mix of shooting, passing, size, and IQ that you just don't see ever

PraiseJesus
06-10-2015, 06:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWjSHa5Vgs8

Katt shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk5HxjDmyGU

Kat Dunks

Many people were blown away by his workout and it putt him on top for most

PhillyFaninLA
06-10-2015, 07:08 AM
I think the interest in Russell at 2 is legit. More than just a smokescreen. Would still be surprising though. I can't wait for the draft. There's a lot more intrigue in who's going where at the top than I thought there would be.

As a Sixers fan, I'm hoping for one of the guards. At the same time, it's still a can't-lose if "forced" to take Okafor at 3. Even with Noel/Embiid in the fold. How can you be mad about getting Okafor at 3? Pretty excited, but pretty nervous to see what happens.

I think we trade him if that happens, and end up with Mudiay or Winslow and another first rounder next year or the following year. I don't think we keep Towns or Okafer and either can net an additional first rounder along with one of those 2 guards.

PhillyFaninLA
06-10-2015, 07:14 AM
I prefer Okafor over Rusell for my Lakers. Better piece to build around imo.

I agree 100%

I said in another topic, this isn't me copying and pasting but here is the idea:

Towns to Minnesota makes sense, he can be a lesser version of Garnett for them, I do believe Okafer is better but Towns makes more sense for Minnesota

Okafer to the Lakers makes the most sense, they have young guards that played pretty well and showed flashes, Okafer is also a better fit for Randle and takes a ton of pressure off of him

Russell makes the most sense for the Sixers because they need a play making PG that can get the ball to Embiid, Saric, and SG to be determined while being a threat with the ball in his hands

This is the only win-win-win scenario, but there is no real lose scenario with those 3 guys but I think this is the best situation for each team and each player

2-ONE-5
06-10-2015, 09:09 AM

you're not serious?

buck4493
06-10-2015, 12:00 PM

you're not serious?

The white thing is legit
Realistically what white player would people pay to go watch. It's just a fact they don't have as much impact.
I do think Kaminsky seems to have skillet to be very good

Hawkeye15
06-10-2015, 12:33 PM

or cause he is 22 with T-rex arms?

Frank will be an NBA player, and a good one. Ryan Anderson type imo.

Gibby23
06-10-2015, 12:35 PM
or cause he is 22 with T-rex arms?

Frank will be an NBA player, and a good one. Ryan Anderson type imo.

Better post player than Anderson and not as fluid or as good a 3 pt shoother. Maybe a Spencer Haws type.

Hawkeye15
06-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Better post player than Anderson and not as fluid or as good a 3 pt shoother. Maybe a Spencer Haws type.

Kaminsky is going to be an elite 3 point shooter.

bleedprple&gold
06-10-2015, 01:43 PM
I think we trade him if that happens, and end up with Mudiay or Winslow and another first rounder next year or the following year. I don't think we keep Towns or Okafer and either can net an additional first rounder along with one of those 2 guards.

Maybe...asking a team for a future 1st to move up one or two spots is asking a lot, considering that team will probably be in the lottery again next year. Any additional 1st you get would probably be heavily protected.

Gibby23
06-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Kaminsky is going to be an elite 3 point shooter.

Spencer Haws shot 41% a few seasons ago shooting over 300 3's. Kaminsky doesn't move like Ryan Anderson at all. Anderson has a fluidness to his game.

2-ONE-5
06-10-2015, 02:02 PM
The white thing is legit
Realistically what white player would people pay to go watch. It's just a fact they don't have as much impact.
I do think Kaminsky seems to have skillet to be very good

so yu think the reason Kaminski wont go top 5 is bcuz he is white/not exciting? get ****in real, hes going in the lotto and thats where he should go between 8-14

2-ONE-5
06-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Spencer Haws shot 41% a few seasons ago shooting over 300 3's. Kaminsky doesn't move like Ryan Anderson at all. Anderson has a fluidness to his game.

but Hawes is awful. he had 1 fluke season shooting decently bcuz the Sixers let him chuck to try and up the negative value he had.

Gibby23
06-10-2015, 02:30 PM
but Hawes is awful. he had 1 fluke season shooting decently bcuz the Sixers let him chuck to try and up the negative value he had.

True. Lol.. Kaminsky could turn out to be that. He isn't a big that will run off screens like dirk or Anderson and he isn't as athletic as Anderson. He has a nice post up game though.

ewing
06-10-2015, 02:52 PM
kaminsky is going to be an elite 3 point shooter.

you think so? He is skilled as ****ed but the j looked a little shakey to me

2-ONE-5
06-10-2015, 03:15 PM
True. Lol.. Kaminsky could turn out to be that. He isn't a big that will run off screens like dirk or Anderson and he isn't as athletic as Anderson. He has a nice post up game though.

yea i agree i dont think he will be like Anderson. Im not exactly sure who he compares to but thats not even important anyway, he will be a solid player regardless

RLundi
06-10-2015, 04:50 PM
you're not serious?

Dead.

sixer04fan
06-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Dead.

So you think the reason Kaminsky isn't a top 5 pick, possibly going ahead of someone like Russell, Okafor, or Towns, is because he's white and non-European? Because of the "bias"? Regardless of the fact that he's still likely a top 10-12 pick...

Not for any of the other reasons that were mentioned as the more likely cause?

Bostonjorge
06-11-2015, 04:00 AM
Here is the scouting report on Russell.

http://youtu.be/y5BtA2JdOBY

He can easily be locked up. Can't finish or even get to the rim. I see him in philly with embiid back as well. It's June and it's already set that Philly with Russell is a lottery team in the east.

jerellh528
06-11-2015, 04:07 AM

He can easily be locked up. Can't finish or even get to the rim. I see him in philly with embiid back as well. It's June and it's already set that Philly with Russell is a lottery team in the east.

Philly if they land Dlo will be one of the teams I follow somewhat closely, especially with embiid back. They have a lot of young talent. I'll also be watching a lot of minny games, to see what my lakers didn't draft whether it be towns or oak, also because I have a man crush on lavine.

IKnowHoops
06-11-2015, 04:15 AM

I didn't like Russell the first time I looked at his highlight tape. Then I think I looked at a different one and I was impressed. Kinda reminded me of a mix between Penny and Brandon Roy. I hope he goes to the Sixers. What a nice young core that is. Would love watching them and MN play this year with there young talent.

PhillyFaninLA
06-11-2015, 05:18 AM
Maybe...asking a team for a future 1st to move up one or two spots is asking a lot, considering that team will probably be in the lottery again next year. Any additional 1st you get would probably be heavily protected.

That would be fine, but also the advantage of making it in 2 years and not next year means less protection.

Next year we have a top 3 protected 1st rounder from the Lakers (and also in 2017, but is unprotected in 2018) so that is probably the Sixers pick next year, a top 10 protected from Miami (that is not protected in 2017, and a top 15 protected pick from OKC (it becomes multiple seconds if not gained by the Sixers).

Its likely we have the Lakers pick that is probably going to be around 10 or 12 (they will be better but probably not great), the Heat and OKC picks certainly could be on the Sixer next year. and we probably aren't very good so our draft next year in the first round realistically could be

top 6 pick from our pick
3 picks between 10 - 20

and if Russell goes one or two and we do make a trade we get a lottery protected 2016 pick that becomes top 10 or top 7 protected in 2017, or unprotected in 2018 and that would be ok especially because we would still end up with Mudyiay or Winslow which may not be the perfect player we still get a nice player and a future first.

Stunner
06-11-2015, 11:38 AM
@MySportsLegion: Multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated that the Lakers are "locked in" on drafting Jahlil Okafor with the second pick in draft.

2-ONE-5
06-11-2015, 12:05 PM
@MySportsLegion: Multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated that the Lakers are "locked in" on drafting Jahlil Okafor with the second pick in draft.

as they should be. But itsnt a lock Okafor is even there to pick.

buck4493
06-11-2015, 12:59 PM
so yu think the reason Kaminski wont go top 5 is bcuz he is white/not exciting? get ****in real, hes going in the lotto and thats where he should go between 8-14

Oh your misreading me on this by far. I love Kaminsky. I'm hoping hes available for pacers at 11. I asked the question because i don't see the difference in the bigs. In fact Kaminsky outplayed okafor.

What i was saying is if he was black i think there would be a far different view of him. This is not a racial thing just facts and data.

buck4493
06-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Looking at Minnesotas roster Russell is a slam dunk pick. Thery could get something for Rubio--who plays ZERO defense.

They have a couple solid bigs, so getting wiggins a guy like russell would be a hell of a combo.

2-ONE-5
06-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Oh your misreading me on this by far. I love Kaminsky. I'm hoping hes available for pacers at 11. I asked the question because i don't see the difference in the bigs. In fact Kaminsky outplayed okafor.

What i was saying is if he was black i think there would be a far different view of him. This is not a racial thing just facts and data.

i dont think he really outplayed Okafor and Okafor got hit with some awful fouls that put him in trouble but he still came back in late and shfited the momentum of the game to get the win. If Kaminski was black he would not be viewed different bcuz being black doesnt change his skills, thats ridiculous. Also having a great college season doesnt mean anything so much else go into draft stock anyway . Quin Cook outplayed most of the guards he went up against this year and he will be lucky to go 2nd round.

Also Rubio and that contract have very little, if any value and Minny has no bigs to build with they wpuld be crazy not to take one of the Centers

buck4493
06-11-2015, 01:38 PM
i dont think he really outplayed Okafor and Okafor got hit with some awful fouls that put him in trouble but he still came back in late and shfited the momentum of the game to get the win. If Kaminski was black he would not be viewed different bcuz being black doesnt change his skills, thats ridiculous. Also having a great college season doesnt mean anything so much else go into draft stock anyway . Quin Cook outplayed most of the guards he went up against this year and he will be lucky to go 2nd round.

Also Rubio and that contract have very little, if any value and Minny has no bigs to build with they wpuld be crazy not to take one of the Centers

I agree it doesn;t change his skills which makes my point. he has better skills right now than either big. other two have more potential because of age but right now kaminsky has a much more diverse game. Good shooter, good rebounder, good post payer on both ends.

RLundi
06-11-2015, 04:37 PM
as they should be. But itsnt a lock Okafor is even there to pick.

Top-notch analysis.

RLundi
06-11-2015, 04:40 PM

You're naive, and most likely a teenager. When you step out into the real world, you'll see bias absolutely exists, maybe not yet in the high school you attend, but absolutely in nearly everywhere else.

Bostonjorge
06-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Looking at Minnesotas roster Russell is a slam dunk pick. Thery could get something for Rubio--who plays ZERO defense.

They have a couple solid bigs, so getting wiggins a guy like russell would be a hell of a combo.

Russell can play better D then Rubio? Ok buddy.

Sssmush
06-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Okafor has a polished post game. THere is no doubt. But keep in mind that his offensive game is hampered by the fact that he shoot 50% from the FT line.

Typically, when a C shoots a FT% like that he is also a dominant defensive player. Being that Okafor is definitely not that I think it handicaps his effectiveness as an offensive threat in important games. If im the other team I wil lsimply foul him if he gets the ball in a good spot - he will amke 1 of 2- then we can blow by him for a layup on the other side..

AS far as KAT goes - I think you need to look at his workout videos from last week. ITs obvious that he was sacrificing his game for the good of the team. The guy can handle the ball like a guard, dunk like lebron, and has a great touch from the outside with a smooth jumper. This is on top of his great defensive skills. It's tough to not consider KAT the #1 pick imo.

DLO is a complete player with a mix of shooting, passing, size, and IQ that you just don't see ever

yeah... I mean no doubt KAT is a fine player, but just comparing KAT and Okafor with my layman's eye-test, Okafor looks much MUCH more physically solid. He seems to have a legit physicality and control/ownership over his body. He moves and his feet are under him. If you didn't know he was a 6'10" or whatever you'd believe he could be a 6'3" guy. Solid, assured, athletic, polished. Got that 4 year NBA vet pro look already. Boom.

KAT looks coltish, boyish, uncoordinated. He looks like a 7 footer trying to moves his feet around and imitate a guard, on defense and on offense. He dunks and his arms and feets fly around and he lands in weird off-balance positions. He has some of that same spazzy out of controlness that Anthony Davis has, which I don't like, but which works out for AD because he is apparently made of some kind of super human metal alloy or something. But KAT looks years younger and years less developed than Okafor. He looks like a geeky Olawakandi or something. He will get abused in the NBA his first couple years I would guess. If you made KAT and Okafor play a marathon 1-on-1 for several hours eventually KAT would just give up and start crying. Man against boy.

Okafor's defensive liabilities can be fixed. He can move, he's athletic, he's big, strong, he will be a defender. He might even become a defensive specialist. That can be learned. The 50% FT thing... 50% is not that bad, and he will bring it up to say 70% with some work. And it's not like he's a Deandre Jordan or something. If you're gonna hack-a-shaq an Okafor you got big problems, because you're hack-a-shaqqing him but then on top of that when he gets in the post he's just obliterating your defense with his low-post scoring. So with a 50% FT% his per-possession EV goes to something crazy like 1.5 points probably. If you can't stop him on D and he's giving you guaranteed 1 point for every hack-a-shaq... I mean I'll take that all day long.

Russell is a different type of player, and again I am not an NBA professional, but if he is as potentially transformative and fantastic a player as is being speculated, then you have to put him right there at the top with Okafor. Because he could be a legit CP3/Harden/Curry type guy right out of the box who could star for your franchise for the next 12 years and make you immediately relevant in the playoff hunt.

So again, these are champagne problems. At #2 the Lakers are loving it. If Minnesota takes KAT it is a super tough choice but win-win either way. I'd lean toward Russell because I could see him starring next year, already starting to out-duel Harden/CP3 etc and getting some big wins for the Lakers. Objectively though Okafor is probably a safer pick though, because he is for sure for sure 20-10 type of guy at least.

Sssmush
06-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Okafor vs Kaminsky LoL that is funny.

Final Four officiating is like Olympic ice skating or something.

buck4493
06-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Russell can play better D then Rubio? Ok buddy.

no worse than rubio but will be better in time.

2-ONE-5
06-11-2015, 06:27 PM
You're naive, and most likely a teenager. When you step out into the real world, you'll see bias absolutely exists, maybe not yet in the high school you attend, but absolutely in nearly everywhere else.

bro im 27 and work for one of the largest companies in the country. Could you really justify taking Kaminski in the top 5? i dont even include the euros and i dont have him in my top 5 and him being black lol wouldnt change that for anyone

RLundi
06-11-2015, 07:05 PM
bro im 27 and work for one of the largest companies in the country. Could you really justify taking Kaminski in the top 5? i dont even include the euros and i dont have him in my top 5 and him being black lol wouldnt change that for anyone

Lol pathetic, who are you trying to impress and convince? You should be ashamed of yourself, this is a new low.

c33
06-11-2015, 07:13 PM
bro im 27 and work for one of the largest companies in the country

Are you trying to say you work at Wal-Mart?

GiantsSwaGG
06-11-2015, 08:12 PM

McDonalds?

Gibby23
06-11-2015, 08:15 PM
McDonalds?

PepsiCo?

2-ONE-5
06-11-2015, 08:35 PM
close.

im not one of those internet tools who likes to talk about their personal life on an anonymous forum. just wanted to point out that im no 17 year old and the Kaminski point is ridiculous no matter how they spin it

RLundi
06-11-2015, 11:44 PM
close.

im not one of those internet tools who likes to talk about their personal life on an anonymous forum. just wanted to point out that im no 17 year old and the Kaminski point is ridiculous no matter how they spin it

That is word for word what you appear to be at this moment. Glad you recognize that and can point it out yourself.

2-ONE-5
06-12-2015, 08:42 AM
lol yet you still wont provide a top 5, why? Because Kaminski isnt in it. Dude is ranked and will be drafted exactly where he should which is in the 8-14 range (probably the earlier part of that)

Stunner
06-13-2015, 12:24 PM
@ESPNSteinLine: Draft scuttle: Hearing Porzingis not only in play for Philly at No. 3 but now giving Lakers something to ponder at No. 2. Stock rising fast

GREATNESS ONE
06-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Are you trying to say you work at Wal-Mart?

McDonalds?

PepsiCo?

😂

Stunner
06-13-2015, 02:21 PM
@basketballtalk: Report: Sixers won’t let Towns, Okafor or Russell fall to Knicks in NBA Draft http://t.co/ebGVMSRmMN

RLundi
06-13-2015, 04:04 PM
lol yet you still wont provide a top 5, why? Because Kaminski isnt in it. Dude is ranked and will be drafted exactly where he should which is in the 8-14 range (probably the earlier part of that)

Your reading comprehension fails you yet again. It's not your fault though, the post was deleted. I forgive you. Even so, I already said Kaminsky in the top 5 was hyperbole and that my agenda was not about him at all, but about the bias that exists against white American players.

Will you shut up if I give you a top 5? Or just continue being annoying since you have nothing mkre to do now that school is out?

1. Towns
2. Russell
3. Porzingis
4. Okafor
5. Winslow

Satisfied? Now go get a summer job.

2-ONE-5
06-13-2015, 05:31 PM
wait im the annoying one? lol ooook.

so wait if Frank the Tank was black would he be in your top 5?

RLundi
06-13-2015, 06:37 PM
wait im the annoying one? lol ooook.

so wait if Frank the Tank was black would he be in your top 5?

Lol unbelievable. Honestly you're an idiot. I'll leave it at that. How's that summer employment? Subway is hiring nationwide.

SportsFanatic10
06-13-2015, 06:52 PM
My prediction for top 10 goes like this right now barring any trades...

MIN - Towns * they go the safe route and take the mostly consensus and deserving number 1 *
LAL - Okafor * with Randle already in place they could go another direction but I doubt it *
PHI - Russell * Philly has enough bigs, they take the top guard in the draft to replace MCW *
NYK - Porzingis * they seem to like him and his stock is rising pretty high *
ORL - Cauley-Stein * well stocked on the perimeter they add a great defender to go with Vucevic's offensive game *
SAC - Mudiay * not going to fall further than this and plays a position of need for them *
DEN - Winslow * the rebuilding nuggets take the best player available and stop his fall *
DET - Hezonja * the Pistons happily jump on a needed wing player here *
CHA - Booker * for a team in great need of an outside shooter and more offense, i could see this happening *
MIA - Johnson * for perimeter defense and wing depth, as well as best player available at this spot *

5ass
06-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Wolves-Towns
Lakers-Okafor
76ers-Russell
Knicks-Winslow
Magic-Porzingis
Kings-WCS
Nuggets-Hezonja
Pistons-Johnson
Hornets-Turner
Heat-Booker
Pacers-Lyles

5ass
06-13-2015, 08:05 PM
Though I think the knicks trade with the nuggets, pick up Lawson and cauleystein/johnson. Nuggets grab porzingis.

5ass
06-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Lol I forgot Mudiay..
Because I got ha, because I got ha, because I got haaaah

GiantsSwaGG
06-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Wolves-Towns
Lakers-Okafor
76ers-Russell
Knicks-Winslow
Magic-Porzingis
Kings-WCS
Nuggets-Hezonja
Pistons-Johnson
Hornets-Turner
Heat-Booker
Pacers-Lyles

Where does Mudiay land? He's a top 5 pick

Scoots
06-13-2015, 08:44 PM
I would LOVE the Lakers to take Porzingis.

LakerShow
06-13-2015, 08:47 PM
It's not gOing to happen, doubt it.

RLundi
06-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Where does Mudiay land? He's a top 5 pick

Blame the ganja.

If Mudiay doesn't go to the Knicks at 4, I could see him slipping to Denver at 7 or even Pacers at 10.

Stunner
06-24-2015, 01:07 PM
@Probballdraft: The Lakers prefers Russell over Okafor if they keep the pick. Still in play for Cousins according to sources. #NBADraft

@Probballdraft: Part of Lakers thinking is Russell could be best player in draft & plenty of FA's to splurge on at C. Aldridge, Jordan, Lopez, Gasol, etc.

Stunner
06-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Russell to la picking up steam yasssssss

cdhjgj
06-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Lakers would be smart to draft Russell but they won't, he will be a sixer http://insuranceautocars.com/insurance/images/42.gif http://alturl.com/kbrbo

DillyDill
06-25-2015, 12:30 PM
I got a feeling these Dlo rumors starting to be true