PDA

View Full Version : David Blatt

andy2518
06-07-2015, 07:41 PM
I have not ever felt the need to start a thread on this site, but I have been truly appalled as of late due to all the bashing Blatt is getting from Lebron fans. My family and I have followed Blatt for years and even have a family friend who played for him on Maccabi Tel Aviv back in 2003 I believe. The guy knows what he is doing for sure and is one of the greatest basketball minds in the world. The Cavs would not have hired him if this were not the case. Even Steve Kerr wanted him for an assistant this year before the Cavs scooped him up.

Shame on anyone who is now slamming this guy and blaming him for the Kyrie injury. Hindsight people. First off, it was a contact injury and not due to the previous injury he had and second, Lebron didn't have a problem with him playing those heavy minutes either. It was a close game and Kyrie was doing great and without him, there is not block on Curry to even send it into overtime in the first place. Though it looked to me honestly like Kyrie got all hand, but thats a discussion for another day. The point is, it was the right decision at the time and it was just bad luck, not a bad coaching decision.

It's pretty sad how all the Lebron fans on the internet are showing such low class and unfairly bashing this guy and have been doing so all season long. This is just the final straw for me and thought I should speak up on the matter. Funny how you all call Lebron the coach of the team when things are going good and they only lose 2 games in the Eastern Conference Playoffs, yet when things go bad, all of the sudden it's Blatt who's to blame and all of the sudden responsible for all the coaching decisions and not Lebron. Lebron got all the credit when he called time out against Chicago and hit the game winning three, yet if he noticed Kyrie needed to come out due to fatigue he certainly did not exercise this veto power and pull him out then. Yet it's Blatt who is the fall guy once again.

Can't we just appreciate how far the Cavs have come in one year and not try to crucify anyone and everyone except Lebron when they don't win the championship. Even Bron said that this was a project and it would take a few years. All I ever hear from his most loyal fans is that championships don't matter. So why then are you all tearing Blatt apart just because it's looking like the Cavs are not going to win a championship this season. Just celebrate like you all always do that he made the finals and focus more on his individual stats and game then. Just stop all this unfair criticism to Blatt and to everyone else every time Lebron doesn't get the accolade you think he deserves. I'm as big a Lebron fan as the next guy, but come on. This is plain ridiculous now. You're all just giving ammo to all the haters out there with this sort of behavior. If Lebron truly is the coach of this team like you all say he is, can't you all let him have some of the accountability too? Let's give the guy some respect here. He has just coached a team to the finals in his very first season. What more do you want from the guy?

jerellh528
06-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Blatt definitely has some of those guys overachieving and producing quality mins. The main knock I had on him was how he utilized love, but there's no denying his euroball influence has a a positive impact on the team as a whole. I would say it was a first year success for him.

WITZ
06-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Lol at people blaming Kyries injury on Blatt it was contact injury and he was given no restrictions after seeing Dr. James Andrews. Its not just Lebron fans bashing lebron the media for a good chunk of the season tried to bring him down any chance they got. Grif quote from today says it all Blatt will and should be back. Btw yeah he underutilized Love but if the playoff showed us anything is that Kyrie and Lebron can still be deadly even with TT spending a majority of time in the paint bodes well for Love playing more in the paint next season.

Grif quote"What David Blatt had to do to keep the job of head coach?
Griffin: nothing! Just go after the nba finals to vacation in israel, and return to work for next season, because he established himself in this place as cavs head coach.

ink
06-08-2015, 01:48 AM
He's a great coach. Proved he belongs among the best in one year. That's pretty damn impressive. And I agree with the OP completely. Idk what's wrong with NBA fans sometimes. It's as if they can't progress beyond star worship. If you followed Blatts entire year, you will have seen a masterful progression.

Quinnsanity
06-08-2015, 02:25 AM
I think people go to far with the "LeBron is the coach" thing, but the idea of it is based in some level of fact. David Blatt wanted to run a certain system, but because of LeBron he was unable to do that, going from the Princeton offense he wanted to run to this isolation/high pick and roll system they run now. That was because of LeBron, and I don't think anyone can dispute that. But Blatt has taken that reality of this job and run with it, doing a good job of scheming within the bounds LeBron wants to play and properly utilizing the players he has within the confines of the system he has to use. The one thing we really can "blame" Blatt for is his non-called Webber timeout in Game 4 against Chicago.

PurpleLynch
06-08-2015, 07:13 AM
I also was surprised,Blatt is a top 3 coach of all time in Europe imo and I saw fans blaming him for his coaching.
At the same time those fans believe that Lebron is coaching the team :laugh:
He's in the Finals in his first year in the Nba,playing with 1/3 of his big Three,having good role players injured(Varejao) and Cavs are against one of the most stacked team of the Western conference.
Did he adjust his coaching philosophy to let Lebron wreak havoc? Yes,but that's not the same of "Lebron is coaching this team".

Cavs fans should just respect deeply Blatt for what he did this year.

MonroeFAN
06-08-2015, 07:43 AM
I personally could care less about tel aviv, and I don't know why people still place emphasis on success in those leagues when it rarely translates to the NBA. But what he's doing is impressive. More so than Kerr imo.

zB_#85
06-08-2015, 01:24 PM
none of this really matters because it seems fairly obvious that LeBron doesn't really like him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after this season for that reason, LeBron runs the show around there.

Hawkeye15
06-08-2015, 02:50 PM
I think everyone knew he had major pedigree as a coach in Europe. The only worries I know of, were people were wondering how he would do with a contender right off the bat, with the games most famous current player, and a player who likes to have the ability to do what he likes much of the time.

The NBA is so different. A type of coach can be successful in one situation, and not in another. Just depends on the personalities.

ManRam
06-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Was a big fan of the Blatt hiring. It looked rough early on and I still don't like what the team turned Love into, but he stuck with it and has these guys (minus maybe LeBron...honestly) playing about the best basketball you could ask. The defensive intensity they came out with yesterday was absurd and he deserves a lot of credit for that. Coaches often unfairly get made into scapegoats because as outsiders it's hard to actually gauge how good of a job they're doing. We see a roster on paper and have expectations...and if they're not met we immediately assume it's coaching.

Again, I think judging the job a coach is doing is incredibly hard and we all pretend like we can gauge it better than we can. But he has this team playing over their heads so he does deserve some credit. Especially since he was getting scapegoated quite hard early on.

NYKnickFanatic
06-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Blatt is definitely reminding me of Spo, in the sense of how he was getting treated his first year as coach of LBJ and the Heat.

ewing
06-08-2015, 03:18 PM
he is complete trash just like the rest of LeBron's supporting caste.

flea
06-08-2015, 03:26 PM
He's done a good job getting his team where it needs to be defensively - especially considering how putrid they were early in the season. Offensively it's clear that Lebron wants the ball in his hands all the time so he can be the hero. He's not interested in a motion offense, playing off the ball as a cutter or a roll man, or setting screens. He wants to dribble and then get an assist or score - period.

That's how most NBA stars in the history of the game are and that's just what you have to work with as a coach. Sometimes it makes ugly basketball - and the Cavs offense in these playoffs has been hideous. But you can't all of a sudden change it up. I will say that Shumpert looked like a pretty good passer and decisionmaker on the few P&Rs he ran - don't know if he did that in NYC much but I doubt it. The challenge now is to get the offense to an average level in spite of how predictable it's going to continue to be.

flea
06-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Blatt is definitely reminding me of Spo, in the sense of how he was getting treated his first year as coach of LBJ and the Heat.

Yeah Spo is also underrated, I guess because he tangentially has something to do with Lebron losing. D'Antoni gets credit for the P&R space offenses, but Spo took it to a whole other level by eschewing any semblance of rim protection or rebounding in order to produce the best possible offense Lebron could run. That he had those teams so good defensively is a testament to how good he was. They attacked every P&R and trapped all over the place - that level defense requires more basketball IQ and effort than most NBA players are willing to put forth. They should have been mediocre or bad defenses but instead they were top 5 when they were rolling.

ManRam
06-08-2015, 03:33 PM
That's how most NBA stars in the history of the game are and that's just what you have to work with as a coach. Sometimes it makes ugly basketball - and the Cavs offense in these playoffs has been hideous. But you can't all of a sudden change it up. I will say that Shumpert looked like a pretty good passer and decisionmaker on the few P&Rs he ran - don't know if he did that in NYC much but I doubt it. The challenge now is to get the offense to an average level in spite of how predictable it's going to continue to be.

I totally disagree it's been hideous for the duration of the playoffs. It's looked bad or sloppy at times, sure, but their 109.7 offensive rating is the tops in the NBA these playoffs. They've done it with the slowest pace too, which is interesting. As has their very average efficiency. Hasn't always looked pretty, but especially early on with Love and Irving it had been GREAT.

And Shump was frequently criticized by Woodson for his P&R play in NYK. I'd imagine a quick trip to Google would verify that.

ewing
06-08-2015, 03:38 PM
He's done a good job getting his team where it needs to be defensively - especially considering how putrid they were early in the season. Offensively it's clear that Lebron wants the ball in his hands all the time so he can be the hero. He's not interested in a motion offense, playing off the ball as a cutter or a roll man, or setting screens. He wants to dribble and then get an assist or score - period.

Shump can't finish for **** and doesn't have much of a handle either. He runs hard and can down knock stand still 3s. JR is actually the guy they have that can run screen roll but everything in JR's game comes and goes, weather its his ability to make good decisions with the ball, his D, his ability to finish on the drive, or his shooting, you just don't know what you are going to get. When completely right JR can do it.

flea
06-08-2015, 03:44 PM
I totally disagree it's been hideous for the duration of the playoffs. It's looked bad or sloppy at times, sure, but their 109.7 offensive rating is the tops in the NBA these playoffs. They've done it with the slowest pace too, which is interesting. As has their very average efficiency. Hasn't always looked pretty, but especially early on with Love and Irving it had been GREAT.

And Shump was frequently criticized by Woodson for his P&R play in NYK. I'd imagine a quick trip to Google would verify that.

I don't much care what their offense did vs. the .500 Celtics. They looked bad against the Bulls before they started getting hurt/thrown out of games, and they've looked bad in the Finals. But it's been good enough to win so that's all that matters.

As for Mike Woodson, I don't care at all what he says about any player. It's at least another source of potential offense. Wasn't saying he looked like Steve Nash there, but he made some good passes out of it. When you've got big and athletic finisher like Mozgov you don't need to be particularly great to get some points here and there.

ManRam
06-09-2015, 04:35 PM
I don't much care what their offense did vs. the .500 Celtics. They looked bad against the Bulls before they started getting hurt/thrown out of games, and they've looked bad in the Finals. But it's been good enough to win so that's all that matters.

As for Mike Woodson, I don't care at all what he says about any player. It's at least another source of potential offense. Wasn't saying he looked like Steve Nash there, but he made some good passes out of it. When you've got big and athletic finisher like Mozgov you don't need to be particularly great to get some points here and there.

So basically what I'm gathering here is: "I don't care about anything that suggests something that isn't in alignment with my agenda". Got it!

The Cavs' path to the Finals hasn't been tough, but they haven't faced bad defenses either. Boston's defense was above league average all year. It's better than the Pellies, for example. Atlanta's was great all year. Chicago is Chicago.

As for Shump and his P&R play, we have SportVu data which can quantitate better than ever before a player's value in very specific play types. I'm sure you'll dismiss this stuff too if it doesn't tell you what you want, but I'll present it to you without comment other than this: he doesn't do it much at all. I won't pretend to know how great of a passer he is in P&R situations, but I do know he rarely does it. That's not even controversial: 10% of his possessions these playoffs have come as the P&R ball-handler. 19.4% in the regular season.

Playoff: http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/ball-handler/?dir=1
Regular Season: http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/ball-handler/?dir=1&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

A pretty low PPP

5ass
06-09-2015, 05:22 PM
He doesn't care, flea just wants to discredit LeBron. He always puts out false information he can't back up.

Shady66
06-10-2015, 12:24 AM
He's very underrated with all the hate he gets. People just discredit him cause lebrons on his team

KnicksorBust
06-10-2015, 06:06 AM
The problem is during the game last night Tyronn Lue was still making substitions and Lebron was still calling all the plays.

PurpleLynch
06-10-2015, 06:24 AM
Also,his halfcourt sets are awesome.

Alan Shore
06-10-2015, 07:20 AM
Lebron flat out ignores him most of the time, dude was happy being a 2nd/3rd assistant on GSW, and now he's beating them in the finals without having any idea what's happening around him!

PurpleLynch
06-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Lebron flat out ignores him most of the time, dude was happy being a 2nd/3rd assistant on GSW, and now he's beating them in the finals without having any idea what's happening around him!

I can't understand this sentence. Blatt never coached in the Nba.

Alan Shore
06-11-2015, 12:21 PM
I can't understand this sentence. Blatt never coached in the Nba.

Kerr offered him an assistant Job and he accepted, only to receive a call from Cavs a few days later, which Kerr encouraged him to take serious.

If you watched Game 1 you saw Kerr telling him wow, we're here, who would've thought.
f
I love the guy, he's so nice and respectful. I think players don't like him because he probably focuses too much on the job and not much on personal stuff, it's my guess though.

And let's not forget he took the job probably not knowing it's gonna be a championship contending team led by Leborn freaking James, I know he's a pro and everyone presumably would love coaching the best player in the world, but it must have been overwhelming especially since Lebron loves to create a family atmosphere with himself playing the godfather role, even to the head coach.

buck4493
06-11-2015, 12:44 PM
what does never coaching in the NBA have to do with anything??

He is a better coach than Steve Kerr. That is obvious.

buck4493
06-11-2015, 12:45 PM
so what if lebron is calling the plays. he should be.

Dungy is a highly regarded HC and Manning called just about everything.