PDA

View Full Version : Should the Knicks rebuild despite not having their 1st round draft pick in 2016?

FriedTofuz
06-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Lately I was thinking, because of the melo trade from many years back, and the bargnani trade, the knicks will be without their 2016 1st round pick. Even if they do sign free agents, there still isnt a strong liklihood of the knicks beating the cavs or even the bulls to get to the nba finals. Would it be better for the knicks to aim for a fresh rebuild ( similar to what Philly was doing) and trade melo for pieces that they can use to rebuild despite not having their pick in 2016?

KnicksorBust
06-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Lately I was thinking, because of the melo trade from many years back, and the bargnani trade, the knicks will be without their 2016 1st round pick. Even if they do sign free agents, there still isnt a strong liklihood of the knicks beating the cavs or even the bulls to get to the nba finals. Would it be better for the knicks to aim for a fresh rebuild ( similar to what Philly was doing) and trade melo for pieces that they can use to rebuild despite not having their pick in 2016?

This thread doesn't appear to be a troll so I'll bite. :laugh:

It completely depends on what Melo can bring in via trade and what player slips to #4. My opinion on how to play out the rest of the offseason hinges on those two issues.

D-Leethal
06-06-2015, 03:50 PM
We have room in the Knicks forum, Fried toe fuzz.

KnicksorBust
06-06-2015, 03:52 PM
For the sake of being more specific I will elaborate:

If the Lakers decided to go all in on this season and offered the #2 pick. Then I would draft the best available big man at pick #2 and the best available guard. This would produce some type of Towns/Okafor + Russell/Mudiay combination and would be the perfect team to rebuild. In that situation I also would not blow all of our cap space. However, how realistic is that?

If the best deals out there for Melo are lower tier players with long-term contracts or future draft picks from good teams then I would pause. There are rumors that the Lakers would consider drafting a guard. Both Russell and Mudiay have been rumored at higher picks. If by some chance Okafor slips in the draft? You throw money at a quality two-way wing player like a Middleton/Carroll/Green and a defensive big like Asik/Lopez and you try and get back to a middle seed in the East like 2 years ago. But how realistic is Okafor slipping?

That's what makes the whole situation complicated. Either could play out but most likely I see the Knicks drafting Mudiay at #4 and capping out on Greg Monroe.

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 04:05 PM
How is this guy not banned forever lol

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 04:08 PM
If lakers offered pick 2 for Melo in a second I would do it. Maybe see if you can get rid of Jose then build a young core around pick 2, 4, Monroe and who ever else you can get.

mudiay
Hardaway

Monroe
Towns
With about 25+ in cap left I believe.

FriedTofuz
06-06-2015, 04:11 PM
For the sake of being more specific I will elaborate:

If the Lakers decided to go all in on this season and offered the #2 pick. Then I would draft the best available big man at pick #2 and the best available guard. This would produce some type of Towns/Okafor + Russell/Mudiay combination and would be the perfect team to rebuild. In that situation I also would not blow all of our cap space. However, how realistic is that?

If the best deals out there for Melo are lower tier players with long-term contracts or future draft picks from good teams then I would pause. There are rumors that the Lakers would consider drafting a guard. Both Russell and Mudiay have been rumored at higher picks. If by some chance Okafor slips in the draft? You throw money at a quality two-way wing player like a Middleton/Carroll/Green and a defensive big like Asik/Lopez and you try and get back to a middle seed in the East like 2 years ago. But how realistic is Okafor slipping?

That's what makes the whole situation complicated. Either could play out but most likely I see the Knicks drafting Mudiay at #4 and capping out on Greg Monroe.

when you mentioned the #2 pick, did you mean if the lakers would trade it for melo + other knicks assets? I think it would be too reckless for the lakers organization to push for another championship just because Kobe has like one year left. I personally dont think it would be a good idea for the lakers to make a trade like that, but It would be ideal for the knicks if they can get the 2nd pick that way and then draft a guard at the 4. So even if they lose their 1st round pick in 2016, they have at least towns/okafor and mudiay ( I doubt russel will slip) to build for the future.

As for the realistic scenario with drafting mudiay and signing greg monroe, that would most likely make the knicks return to playoffs and so their 1st round pick wont be a lottery pick lost if they decided to try and rebuild so.. does it make sense for the knicks to be a middle of the pack time for a short period of time longer and then maybe try to ship melo out for picks/assets in a later year? Like 2017?

Raps08-09 Champ
06-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Just trade me the 4th for Lowry and Ross/Patterson already.

KnicksorBust
06-06-2015, 04:22 PM

The problem with that is we lose a young asset on a rookie deal with huge potential and we lose our cap space. Lowry/Melo is not enough to compete for a middle seed. That would be terrible for the Knicks.

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 04:29 PM

Nah lol if we got a max guy like LMA or gasol first then maybe :p but probably not lol

GiantsSwaGG
06-06-2015, 04:35 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/100953-Michael-Scott-NO-gif-Imgur-C7Xd.gif

Dade County
06-06-2015, 04:51 PM
If they can not get any players that can push them into the 2nd rd of the playoffs, then yes.

Melo has a no trade clause so he would have a short list of teams.

HEAT
Clippers

If he comes to Miami, he will try to flip the script on his legacy (and I think it would work). The media has made him a punching bag over the years; and epically in these playoffs because of smith and Shumpert success with Lbj.

If he goes to the Clippers, it's because of Cp3.

Dade County
06-06-2015, 05:02 PM
HEAT:

Dragon
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Whiteside

And no, I've never heard of a salary cap.

Clippers:

Cp3
Redick
Melo
Blake
? (I don't know if Jordan is in there plans).

Of course Knicks would have to get lots of draft picks and good contracts back.

JEDean89
06-06-2015, 05:08 PM
This is a Q that will be heavily revisited next offseason. Since the Knicks don't have a pick next year, it makes no sense for them to trade Melo now. Instead, we sign tradeable guys, and if next offseason, we didn't make a playoff run, and it doesn't look like we are winning a chip. We trade Melo and tank. Ideally we a star in this draft, then a star in 2017, + some FA's, and can retool quickly. However it doesn't make sense to trade Melo until next offseason, when the new TV money is in, everyone can be a trade partner so their is a better chance at a bidding war, his contract will be a good deal and it will only have 3 years remaining. You can net a fair amount from a team like Miami, LA, Chi, Dallas, Boston, GS, LAC at that point. Insist on multiple future 1sts and a young player.

AstonMartin34
06-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Not having their pick next year means they need to become good this year not risk losing a high draft pick next year. That will hurt.

Wonder what kind of deals the 4th pick this year can get them.. But I personally would keep it and draft BPA.

Goose17
06-06-2015, 05:14 PM
I see no point in drafting some kid that won't be productive for a couple years. Well, probably won't be all-star level productive for a couple years anyway.

If you're building around Melo you need proven talent. So either you trade Melo and blow it up, properly rebuild. Or you trade the pick for a decent guard and splash the cash in free agency to get a high caliber big man.

GiantsSwaGG
06-06-2015, 05:15 PM
HEAT:

Dragon
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Whiteside

Clippers:

Cp3
Redick
Melo
Blake

:laugh: you don't have any draft picks let alone any thing to offer. Also Whitside would definitely have to be part of the deal to even consider picking up the phone and listening to the offer!

GiantsSwaGG
06-06-2015, 05:17 PM
You keep the pick, and if we suck again melo will most likely be frustrated and ask for a trade, then you trade him and get the best possible package

nycericanguy
06-06-2015, 05:42 PM
I see no point in drafting some kid that won't be productive for a couple years. Well, probably won't be all-star level productive for a couple years anyway.

If you're building around Melo you need proven talent. So either you trade Melo and blow it up, properly rebuild. Or you trade the pick for a decent guard and splash the cash in free agency to get a high caliber big man.

that's what got teams like NY & BK in the mess they're in/were. A draft pick will always be a couple of years away, that doesn't mean you trade it... and that doesnt mean the player won't at least contribute the 1st couple of years.

Let's be real, even a rookie Mudiay or WCS is better than any big or PG Melo played with last season. So why trade it? You can still sign a Monroe or Carroll, Green...etc... you don't need to be ALL IN.

No reason NY can't be competitive next year, while still developing young talent. It's not like Melo is 35. He just turned 31 and should be a very good player for the remaining 4 years on his deal.

Now if NY completely strikes out and can't sign Monroe + at least 1 good wing this summer, then maybe you look into trading Melo.

Goose17
06-06-2015, 05:44 PM
There is a reason they can't be competitive next year^

You shouldn't build around a guy like Melo. He's a Robin. Not a Batman.

Just my opinion though.

nycericanguy
06-06-2015, 05:59 PM

Just my opinion though.

oh I forgot you hate Melo...lol... well obviously that would change your opinion. But there's only 1 lebron so you make due.

Melo's teams have always been very competitive with him as Batman outside of the last 2 season's disasters. But there's no reason a team with say...

WCS
Monroe
Melo
Green or Middleton
JC

can't be competitive... and if they're not... THEN you move Melo next summer.

and really even if you think he's a "Robin", theres still no reason they cant be competitive in the east.

Goose17
06-06-2015, 06:15 PM
oh I forgot you hate Melo...lol... well obviously that would change your opinion. But there's only 1 lebron so you make due.

Melo's teams have always been very competitive with him as Batman outside of the last 2 season's disasters. But there's no reason a team with say...

WCS
Monroe
Melo
Green or Middleton
JC

can't be competitive... and if they're not... THEN you move Melo next summer.

and really even if you think he's a "Robin", theres still no reason they cant be competitive in the east.

I don't hate Melo. When have I ever said that?

I just don't think he's a franchise guy. He's not someone you build around. Same as Love, Bosh, Aldridge etc. I don't dislike any of them but they're at their best as a partner-in-crime sort of deal. They couldn't lead a team of role players to a final or anything. I don't understand why you're mentioning LeBron. But Melo isn't even a prime Dwight. Never mind a LBJ.

As for being competitive. If that's the ultimate goal then sure. They could be "competitive", meaning a second round exit type team. But they can't contend.

Now maybe if you had two Robins (Melo and Love, Melo and Gasol etc) and some defent role players. Maybe then things would be different.

Dade County
06-06-2015, 07:00 PM
:laugh: you don't have any draft picks let alone any thing to offer. Also Whitside would definitely have to be part of the deal to even consider picking up the phone and listening to the offer!

Pat wouldn't add Whiteside in a trade for Melo (he would to get KD or AD).

And yes, we would need other teams to get this done (not trying to say that this is going to happen). Don't forget Melo has a NO trade clause; so I thought about teams he would want to join. 2 teams came to mind quickly, HEAT & Clips.

Also don't treat Melo like a super star, he is a offensive talent. His lack of success of being the man has proven that. He needs to go into a system that will focus on his talent and also needs to be surrounded by players that he will respect Wade or Cp3.

Also, he needs an organization that puts defense first, so the other players around him preach defense all day every day.

If the HEAT would get involve, they could only put up... 1st rd 10th pick, McRob, Birdman, Rio, Deng (if he opts in); so yes they would need other teams involve.

Also salary camp navigation.

GiantsSwaGG
06-06-2015, 07:40 PM

And yes, we would need other teams to get this done (not trying to say that this is going to happen). Don't forget Melo has a NO trade clause; so I thought about teams he would want to join. 2 teams came to mind quickly, HEAT & Clips.

Also don't treat Melo like a super star, he is a offensive talent. His lack of success of being the man has proven that. He needs to go into a system that will focus on his talent and also needs to be surrounded by players that he will respect Wade or Cp3.

Also, he needs an organization that puts defense first, so the other players around him preach defense all day every day.

If the HEAT would get involve, they could only put up... 1st rd 10th pick, McRob, Birdman, Rio, Deng (if he opts in); so yes they would need other teams involve.

lol again Whiteside has to be apart of the deal to even give it a thought. Melo isn't a superstar but he's better than everyone on your team pretty much. Rio, McRob, Birdman are bench players and Deng is on the decline. Doubt any other team would do a 3 team trade and to be honest I doubt Melo would want to go to Mia. Chi, LA or Hou would be his choices and Chi and Hou have assets we would definitely trade for!

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 08:42 PM
HEAT:

Dragon
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Whiteside

Clippers:

Cp3
Redick
Melo
Blake

They both have zero to trade so won't happen

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 08:43 PM

Decent player? Mehhhhhh

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 08:46 PM

Just my opinion though.

Somewhat agree, it depends more on what kind of "robin" you got him, if you got a good team
Around him like gasol + Carroll + mudiay, that team can make noise in the east and is possibly a solid two PF away from being a serious contender the next year when the cap goes up its possible, but Melo would be a hell of a robin.

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 08:48 PM

Please they have nothing, whiteside has to
Prove that he's for real to even be an asset for Melo, you have nothing to offer, Melo would be open
To going to a contender, about 20 teams have more to offer, he would of went to Miami if Lebron was there now that he's not why would he lol not happening, clippers have no way of getting him either outside of Blake who they would never give

Mr. Baller
06-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Somewhat agree, it depends more on what kind of "robin" you got him, if you got a good team
Around him like gasol + Carroll + mudiay, that team can make noise in the east and is possibly a solid two PF away from being a serious contender the next year when the cap goes up its possible, but Melo would be a hell of a robin.

He is saying you need a batman to play with Melo, not a robin. He thinks Melo can't be the best player on a team.

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 09:06 PM
He is saying you need a batman to play with Melo, not a robin. He thinks Melo can't be the best player on a team.

I know what he's saying. I think he can be the best player on a team if you make gasol the 2nd best player and fill the right role players around him.

Mr. Baller
06-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Please they have nothing, whiteside has to
Prove that he's for real to even be an asset for Melo, you have nothing to offer, Melo would be open
To going to a contender, about 20 teams have more to offer, he would of went to Miami if Lebron was there now that he's not why would he lol not happening, clippers have no way of getting him either outside of Blake who they would never give

Come on dude, that's stupid. I'm not saying Miami has enough for Melo (they don't), but to not even consider Whiteside an asset for Melo is ridiculous

xxplayerxx23
06-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Come on dude, that's stupid. I'm not saying Miami has enough for Melo (they don't), but to not even consider Whiteside an asset for Melo is ridiculous

Let's see him prove he's a good player. A nice 48 games doesn't make you a player in this league, he looks solid let's see him do it for a full season

Raps08-09 Champ
06-06-2015, 09:21 PM
The problem with that is we lose a young asset on a rookie deal with huge potential and we lose our cap space. Lowry/Melo is not enough to compete for a middle seed. That would be terrible for the Knicks.
No faith in Melo leading you to a title man?

KnicksorBust
06-07-2015, 10:35 AM
No faith in Melo leading you to a title man?

Not with Lowry as our 2nd option and no cap space.

TylerSL
06-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Let's see him prove he's a good player. A nice 48 games doesn't make you a player in this league, he looks solid let's see him do it for a full season

Considering were Whiteside started last season I say 48 games is enough to prove that he has some serious talent. And honestly, I'm sure you didn't say this about Jeremy Lin a couple years ago when he came out of nowhere. I'm sure after 10-15 games you were sold. Maybe Whiteside won't go out there and produce 17.5 pts, 14.5 rbs, and 4 blks per 36 minutes next year, but the fact that he did last year means he doesn't have to prove anything anymore, he's arrived. If he is ridiculous again next year he'll be a top 5 Center and a max player and if not he'll at least be an NBA starter.

xxplayerxx23
06-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Considering were Whiteside started last season I say 48 games is enough to prove that he has some serious talent. And honestly, I'm sure you didn't say this about Jeremy Lin a couple years ago when he came out of nowhere. I'm sure after 10-15 games you were sold. Maybe Whiteside won't go out there and produce 17.5 pts, 14.5 rbs, and 4 blks per 36 minutes next year, but the fact that he did last year means he doesn't have to prove anything anymore, he's arrived. If he is ridiculous again next year he'll be a top 5 Center and a max player and if not he'll at least be an NBA starter.

Lol 48 games proves nothing , using Lin as an example just proves my point. I never said he wasn't talented or wasn't going to be good I just said lets see more of a sample size before we crown him as a great player, he could very well be the next top 5 C in the league but let's see more then 48 games

FYL_McVeezy
06-08-2015, 01:04 PM
LOL how is the OP allowed to blatantly troll like this?

Oh yea forgot which forum i'm in....carry on

MonroeFAN
06-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Melo sucks, despite the fact that he's put up great numbers on good and bad teams for his entire career.

Whiteside is incredible, inspite of the fact that he put up big numbers on a crappy team for 40 games.

Psd logic be legit.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Not with Lowry as our 2nd option and no cap space.

Give me Calderon back. Should leave you enough for Monroe, wouldn't it?

GiantsSwaGG
06-08-2015, 05:28 PM
What happen to Lowry being a top 5 PG? Why are you guys so quick to trade him now lol.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-08-2015, 05:37 PM
What happen to Lowry being a top 5 PG? Why are you guys so quick to trade him now lol.

I nenver once said he was a top 5 PG, but you can argue he can be a top 5 PG, top 8 for sure. I just don't want to built my team around him because it's not going to go anywhere. Give me Melo and I have no problem keeping him.

xxplayerxx23
06-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Lowry Melo Monroe isn't enough. Lowry Melo gasol now that's a core to build around lol

Goose17
06-08-2015, 07:11 PM
I nenver once said he was a top 5 PG, but you can argue he can be a top 5 PG, top 8 for sure. I just don't want to built my team around him because it's not going to go anywhere. Give me Melo and I have no problem keeping him.

Top 5? Sure you can argue it. If you're in the business of losing arguments.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Lowry Melo Monroe isn't enough. Lowry Melo gasol now that's a core to build around lol

You have enough cap space for it don't you if you make that deal?

Raps08-09 Champ
06-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Top 5? Sure you can argue it. If you're in the business of losing arguments.

If they rig the argument like the refs rigged the finals, it could probably be done.

FOXHOUND
06-08-2015, 08:50 PM
The Knicks already are rebuilding. I mean, it doesn't get more rebuilding than having to fill 8-10 roster spots in a single offseason.

Carmelo Anthony - $22.8M
Jose Calderon - $7.4M
#4 overall pick - $3.4M
Tim Hardaway Jr - $1.3M
Cleanthony Early - 845K
Langston Galloway - 845K
(!) Thanasis Antetokounmpo - 845K
(5x) Rookie FA minimum cap hold @525K - $2.6M
Total - $40.0M
Proj. Cap Space - $27.1M

That's the entire Knicks roster for the 2015-16 season as of today.

The Knicks will be rebuilding for the next two years, at least. As you can see the roster gets pretty thin pretty quickly and they have to replace Jose sooner rather than later. Good thing about Jose's spot is that he'll clear $7.4-7.7M if he can be dumped. The bad news is that will be a water drop in 2016 and especially 2017 when the cap is projected to go from $67M to $89M and then to $108M.

This is why I am a fan of the idea of using Hardaway Jr. to dump Jose this offseason so they can maximize that $7.6M ($8.7M - 2 cap holds) of space in 2015 dollars for the future. I just don't know if any team is a fan of that idea, but I think it's pretty reasonable.

The other thing is, yeah, you aren't filling that many roster spots with $27M and exceptions, as much as that is a lot of cap space. It's going to go one of two routes, they can have a splurgy-type offseason now - say Monroe, another 1-2 FAs to hit the cap and then you have the MLE to work with etc. - and then use the growth in cap space to sign another big FA or fill out the roster with role players. Or it goes the opposite, where this offseason is used to sign a bunch of good role players and the cap growth is used to try entice a 2nd star to fill that spot next to Melo and co.

That's really the only way you can go.

Blink
06-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Lol if they draft WCS and sign Monroe watch it blow up in their face.

Can't happen in today's nba

ryder78c
06-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Nah lol if we got a max guy like LMA or gasol first then maybe :p but probably not lol

Keep dreaming!

Knicks would be smart to trade Melo for a Pick

xxplayerxx23
06-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Keep dreaming!

Knicks would be smart to trade Melo for a Pick

With no pick next year that's not smart. I will keep dreaming thanks.

ryder78c
06-08-2015, 10:17 PM
the Knicks should offer a Max to Draymond Green(fall back Amir Johnson) then Sign Rajon Rondo,Danny Green,Omar Asik and a few other low cost Vets this team is back in the playoffs, the 1st round pick next year wouldn't hurt as badly

Asik
Draymond Green
Melo
Danny Green/THJ
Rondo/Galloway

ryder78c
06-08-2015, 10:27 PM
With no pick next year that's not smart. I will keep dreaming thanks.

if its for a top 3 pick you make the trade.

Melo hasnt done anything in his NBA career why hold him when he needs more stars around him that the Knicks won't get.

best to get value now.....i like how everyone said the same about the Celtics and getting rid of rondo and rebuilding....first year in the playoffs....keep melo and the Nuggets get a top 5 pick in next years draft and you have to build around a 31 year old or get two picks this year without melo and build around a young team and can sign more players!

xxplayerxx23
06-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Melo hasnt done anything in his NBA career why hold him when he needs more stars around him that the Knicks won't get.

best to get value now.....i like how everyone said the same about the Celtics and getting rid of rondo and rebuilding....first year in the playoffs....keep melo and the Nuggets get a top 5 pick in next years draft and you have to build around a 31 year old or get two picks this year without melo and build around a young team and can sign more players!

Hasn't done anything lol, obviously a top 3 pick you do it.

xxplayerxx23
06-08-2015, 11:16 PM
the Knicks should offer a Max to Draymond Green(fall back Amir Johnson) then Sign Rajon Rondo,Danny Green,Omar Asik and a few other low cost Vets this team is back in the playoffs, the 1st round pick next year wouldn't hurt as badly

Asik
Draymond Green
Melo
Danny Green/THJ
Rondo/Galloway

I'd rather jump off a bridge

ThePlayoffs
06-08-2015, 11:26 PM

I think they should for sure get rid of Melo, but a lot of fans like him there and for the organization he brings in boatloads of income with jersey sales and so on.

Also he's very marketable to foreign fans.

Goose17
06-09-2015, 04:04 AM
If they rig the argument like the refs rigged the finals, it could probably be done.

Hahaha. Very true. The only way Lowry is top 5 anything is if you're talking about the Toronto rosters top guards right now, and even then it's questionable.

It would have to be rigged. But just to be clear I don't believe in refs rigging games. That's B.S

Ty Fast
06-10-2015, 03:08 PM
If they can not get any players that can push them into the 2nd rd of the playoffs, then yes.

Melo has a no trade clause so he would have a short list of teams.

HEAT
Clippers

If he comes to Miami, he will try to flip the script on his legacy (and I think it would work). The media has made him a punching bag over the years; and epically in these playoffs because of smith and Shumpert success with Lbj.

If he goes to the Clippers, it's because of Cp3.

Clippers would have to give up Blake or CP3 to get Melo