PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley in Today's NBA

Shammyguy3
06-06-2015, 03:26 PM
How would Sir Charles fair? Today's league is predicated on stretch 4s, pick & rolls/pops, and ball-movement. At first thought you might think he wouldn't fair well (career 26.6% from deep), but then you have to factor in how much of a monster he was in the paint. And in today's game, he'd have more shooters to create space for him to bully down-low, and he was a gifted passer. On the other hand, zone defenses are legal today. The pace of the game is also quite slow now, so the one-man fast break might not be as evident.

So, all of you users that have watched more of Barkley's prime than I have - would he fair better, worse, or the same in today's league? Would he be considered higher when ranked all-time, lower, or the same? Etc

tredigs
06-06-2015, 03:43 PM
The pace is essentially the exact same now as the teams he played on, it wouldn't be any different in that regard.

He'd be the best player on his team (which would predicate their offense around his style), and he'd be an All NBA player and MVP candidate every year. Essentially the same.

Shammyguy3
06-06-2015, 07:31 PM
The pace is essentially the exact same now as the teams he played on, it wouldn't be any different in that regard.

He'd be the best player on his team (which would predicate their offense around his style), and he'd be an All NBA player and MVP candidate every year. Essentially the same.

the bolded isn't exactly true, this past season at a glance:

The 1st place pace team was Golden State at 98.3
The 5th place pace team was Boston at 95.8
The 10th place pace team was LAC at 94.7
The 15th place pace team was Atlanta at 93.9
The 20th place pace team was Charlotte at 93.0
The 25th place pace team was Cleveland at 92.3
The 30th place pace team was Utah at 90.4

The '85 Philly team had a pace of 100.8 (16th out of 23)
The '86 Philly team had a pace of 100.5 (18th out of 23)
The '87 Philly team had a pace of 97.3 (22nd out of 23)
The '88 Philly team had a pace of 96.0 (22nd out of 23)
The '89 Philly team had a pace of 98.5 (18th out of 25)
The '90 Philly team had a pace of 96.5 (19th out of 27)
The '91 Philly team had a pace of 95.7 (18th out of 27)
The '92 Philly team had a pace of 93.7 (24th out of 27)

In Philly Chuck was on slower than average paced teams. And all but one would have ranked top-5 this past season.

The '93 Phoenix team had a pace of 99.8 (4th out of 27)
The '94 Phoenix team had a pace of 96.7 (7th out of 27)
The '95 Phoenix team had a pace of 95.9 (2nd out of 27)
The '96 Phoenix team had a pace of 93.2 (9th out of 29)

By the time he was at the tail end of his prime in Phoenix, that's when the league started slowing down. Still though, he was on faster-paced teams than most teams are in this day and age

kubernetes
06-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Fair or not, I think he'd fare very well.

IBleedPurple
06-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Probably a little worse. Good points in OP, but the round mound of rebounds would foul out halfway through the 3rd in modern times.

LAcowBOMBER
06-07-2015, 07:14 AM
I think he would dominate offensively. Like Blake Griffin, but with a serious edge. It would be interesting to see how his style would translate to a softer game today though. If he didn't alter his style on defense and offense he would foul out every time, but I think he would adjust just fine. Him in the NBA right now in his prime he would currently be the best PF in the game

IBleedPurple
06-07-2015, 08:12 AM
Man it would be fun to watch him in modern times. Same for the bad boy Pistons. I think through 82 games, they could both force some tears with the physicality.

Shammyguy3
06-07-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm really interested to see how he would adjust overall. Would he still be a power forward, or more of a small forward on the block (kind of opposite of a "stretch 4" lol)?

flea
06-07-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm really interested to see how he would adjust overall. Would he still be a power forward, or more of a small forward on the block (kind of opposite of a "stretch 4" lol)?

Definitely a 4, we're talking one of the 5 greatest rebounders in the game's history. He could still play the 3 some, but it would likely be a matchup and situational thing.

His offensive game would be a lot like post-prime Lebron's is. Lots of physicality and movement in the mid-post to make for a lack of length and finesse. Lebron doesn't really do much in the post facing up, but Barkley was pretty good at that too. He was just an overall more polished player with his moves - he had to be because of size. He would probably work a lot in the high post as a ballhandler too, similar to how Lebron works above the wings. He was always a good passer so I don't think the doubles/zone traps would be as problematic for him as they are Dwight but he would need shooters just the same as Lebron does.

I think he would be just as good on the offensive boards. With so many teams going to gang-rebounding/zone principles he would be a nightmare on box-out schemes. He gets a bad rap defensively for some reason but he was never bad - it was just that his lack of length as a 4 could be a matchup problem. Lebron has the same issue with 4s, it's just that there aren't many teams relying on post scoring as the basis for their offense anymore.

Scoots
06-07-2015, 01:30 PM
He'd be a stretch-mark 4 (Jalen Rose term) ... score everywhere, defend occasionally. He'd be great.

Sadds The Gr8
06-07-2015, 04:21 PM
the same...he'd be similar to blake griffin but more efficient

JPS
06-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Probably a little worse. Good points in OP, but the round mound of rebounds would foul out halfway through the 3rd in modern times.

How would he foul out? He didn't play much defense.

NYKalltheway
06-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Something around 35PPG and 22RPG. Not many PFs that can guard him out there and not many PFs he can't guard. It'd be much easier for him.

Shammyguy3
06-07-2015, 10:12 PM
35/22 in a slower paced with zone defenses, and better defenses overall :laugh2:

SLY WILLIAMS
06-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Barkley would be better because he would not have to go against Shaq, Patrick, Hakeem, Drob guarding the paint but not 35/22. Probably somewhere around 28/14 in prime years and 24/13 for career.

naps
06-08-2015, 01:50 AM
He would be the best PF in the game. He would definitely average more rebounds per game without a doubt. He was going up against some of the great all time giants for rebounds.

Nick O
06-08-2015, 02:01 AM
i wouldnt mind if he played again today so he could off television. Love chuck and shaq the players... HATE THEM ON TV

IBleedPurple
06-08-2015, 03:29 AM

How would he foul out? He didn't play much defense.Still attempted, plus rebounds, 3 fouls per 36 then would be about double now. He was a heavy breather, that's good for two fouls per game these days.

Munkeysuit
06-08-2015, 04:38 AM
Barkley in today's game would be pretty awesome, I think he would honestly do well! Everyone would love to see Barkely vs Lebron on the post then Barkley vs Blake Griffin, I would also love to see Barkley vs stretch 4's like Love and Aldridge...every match up would seemingly be an exciting one.