PDA

View Full Version : Should the Clip and Cavs start talking an Irving/CP3 swap?

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2015, 06:35 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that CP3 is the superior point guard and that Irving will never play at the level CP3 has hit, but CP3 is also going to be 30 next year. Maybe he's a Jason Kidd/Steve Nash type that plays well until 35, and maybe he is the Tim Hardaway/Isiah Thomas type that sees a steep decline once he hits 30. Either way, Irving will give the Clippers a wider window, and CP3 will give LBJ the MVP level help the Cavs are going to need

The Cavs haven't gotten a healthy run out of Irving, and the Clippers haven't seen the finals with CP3. Both teams look like they need to make a change, and while I think this would be a bad trade for the Clippers in the short term, it might be tempting for them if they are looking to shake things up after another disappointing season.

Is this the kind of trade that could help both teams? Do they need to change their game plan? Or should they both stay the course?

Raps08-09 Champ
06-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Neither team would want that.

brebre82
06-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Neither team would want that.

Are you the Oracle?

Raps08-09 Champ
06-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Nah, just using common sense.

PowerHouse
06-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Not only is CP3 better but he isnt injury-prone. Not only no but hell no to the question if you're the Clippers.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Irving is the future for the Cavs when Lebron retires. Why would they throw that away? Irving isn't the problem for the Cavs. It's the other supporting cast.

beasted86
06-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Irving is younger and locked into a much lesser contract because of that fact.

If I'm the Cavs I'd rather keep Irving despite the injuries and not being as good as Chris Paul. Allows you money to spend on other players. Irving also hasn't peaked. Yes, he will never ever be the defender or passer that Paul is, that's pretty obvious... But he could have some exponential offensive improvement much like Curry and be a greater overall impact at his peak.

da ThRONe
06-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Irving is the future for the Cavs when Lebron retires. Why would they throw that away? Irving isn't the problem for the Cavs. It's the other supporting cast.

They just traded Wiggins (and to a much lesser extent Bennett) for the ability to set LeBron up to win a title sooner rather than later.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-05-2015, 08:52 PM
They just traded Wiggins (and to a much lesser extent Bennett) for the ability to set LeBron up to win a title sooner rather than later.

But they can do that WITH Kyrie.

Why would they send Kyrie and 1 more piece for CP3 when they should be focusing on adding on top of Lebron/Irving. So get someone better than Shump, JR, JAmes Jones, Delladova.

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2015, 08:58 PM
But they can do that WITH Kyrie.

Why would they send Kyrie and 1 more piece for CP3 when they should be focusing on adding on top of Lebron/Irving. So get someone better than Shump, JR, JAmes Jones, Delladova.

Because Irving can't stay healthy, and even if he has a longer window than CP3, he isn't as good, and I'm not just talking in terms of passing, but also defense.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Because Irving can't stay healthy, and even if he has a longer window than CP3, he isn't as good, and I'm not just talking in terms of passing, but also defense.

He played 75 games this year, 71 last year and 59 in the lockout season. Even if you replace Irving with CP3, that doesn't address the biggest issue. No one else on that team could score.

LA_Raiders
06-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Not a bad trade, but Cleveland may need to throw a pick there.

Cracka2HI!
06-05-2015, 11:42 PM
This is silly. The ONLY reason the Clippers would consider this is Irving's age....and he has the knees of a 50 year old. He played his career high in games this year and broke down. I don't think Irving has a wider window. I think CP will play at a high level after Irving is completely broken.

Avenged
06-05-2015, 11:56 PM
I just came here to say LOL

That is all. Goodbye.

Leftcoast_yg
06-06-2015, 12:00 AM
That trade is groti. Than again if both are healthy it would be an even swap as cp is aging and kyrie injury prone. Risky but fair trade.

JasonJohnHorn
06-06-2015, 12:30 AM
He played 75 games this year, 71 last year and 59 in the lockout season. Even if you replace Irving with CP3, that doesn't address the biggest issue. No one else on that team could score.

He miss almost his entire freshman year.
Missed over 20% of his rookie year.
Missed almost 30% of his second season.
Went down 3/4 of the way into his third season.
And this season he was used up by the time the conference finals hit.

Is this guy every going to be able to have anything in the tank for the playoffs? Sure, next to Anderson Varejoa Irving looks like AC Green, but let's not pretend that he isn't injury prone. Four out of five seasons that he's played either at college or in the NBA, he has been unhealthy when the playoffs came around.

He's missed a lot of games. The injuries are an issue.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-06-2015, 12:33 AM
He miss almost his entire freshman year.
Missed over 20% of his rookie year.
Missed almost 30% of his second season.
Went down 3/4 of the way into his third season.
And this season he was used up by the time the conference finals hit.

Is this guy every going to be able to have anything in the tank for the playoffs? Sure, next to Anderson Varejoa Irving looks like AC Green, but let's not pretend that he isn't injury prone. Four out of five seasons that he's played either at college or in the NBA, he has been unhealthy when the playoffs came around.

He's missed a lot of games. The injuries are an issue.

With his talent, youth and the fact that his game compliments Lebron better, you probably keep him and focus on getting help at other position, as opposed to upgrading a position they dont really need to and be extremely top heavy with subpar players at other positions.

CP3 missed like 20 games last year and 12 games the year before. And had knee issues well before he even got to Clippers. You can help players with injuries with proper training staff.

KnicksorBust
06-06-2015, 11:25 AM
I would definitely take that deal if I was the Cavs.

Goose17
06-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I sort of see the logic in this. Irving is younger and he's a better scorer, he just flat out gets buckets. Regardless. And the Clippers could use that because CP3 is incredibly well rounded but IN MY OPINION he's not a go-to scorer anymore. I can definitely see why someone would think he would be better in a Kidd/Dallas situation.

But... this will never happen. And realistically I don't think it would work as well as some might think it would on paper.

The Clippers need to get a better SF. If Portland really are open to moving Batum they should be trying to get involved with that.

Cavs need to improve their depth. Attracting free agents should be no issue. Everyone wants to play with the king. The problem might be in money. Which is why I keep saying they would be better letting Love walk and using the money to bring in 3 high caliber role players. Or a sixth man of the year type guy and a decent role player.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Irving and TT wouldn't get CP3. So how far are the Cavs willing to deplete their depth for CP3?