PDA

View Full Version : Sox trade for De Aza

MiamiBoy77
06-03-2015, 09:52 AM
just got update on my phone. Sorry for not posting link.

But I don't understand this unless there's another move coming that has to do with OFs.

RedSoxtober
06-03-2015, 10:05 AM
The Red Sox have acquired lefty-hitting outfielder Alejandro De Aza, who had been designated for assignment by the Orioles last week, according to a report from Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.

The speedy Dominican has played for three teams since debuting with the Marlins in 2007, posting a career line of .265/.328/.401 with 41 home runs, 196 RBIs and 81 stolen bases in 119 attempts over 596 games.

In 30 games with the O’s this season, the 31-year-old was hitting .214/.277/.359 with three home runs, seven RBIs and two steals in four attempts.

De Aza is the Sox’ latest attempt to find some production from the left side of the box. Last week the Sox acquired 28-year-old Carlos Peguero from the Rangers. Peguero had been DFA’d by Texas prior to the deal.weei.com

RedSoxtober
06-03-2015, 10:07 AM
They seem desperate to fill the roster with some LHB given the acquisitions of Peguero and De Aza. We've got to assume that Nava may not be in a Sox uniform much longer; they cannot trust his S L O W starts.

matnautico
06-03-2015, 11:31 AM
I hope we arent paying his full 5 million salary.

RedSoxtober
06-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Farrell was also asked if the addition of a potential outfielder was because of Nava’s health.

“Well I guess you can say yes in the short-term,” he said. “Our goal is to get every player healthy and that is not just singling out Daniel in this case, we have to get [Shane Victorino] healthy, we have to get him back so the sooner we can do that we have the chance for more decisions or options available to us. But we didn’t find anything else in the exam that would say, ‘This is going to be longer than first thought and that is why we need to get another outfielder.'”weei.com

ThomasTomasz
06-03-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm sure the Orioles aren't getting much, probably depends on how much of the remaining $3.55 million the Red Sox take on.

For you guys, you get the left-handed bat that the front office and coaching staff want, plus some speed as well as his ability to play all three OF spots. It's a buy-low transaction for sure.

-Lavigne43-
06-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Terrible player

cocossox
06-03-2015, 06:35 PM
so is Peguero Too.

The Red Sox on Wednesday bolstered their outfield depth by acquiring an experienced corner option from the Orioles in the form of Alejandro De Aza, Baltimore announced. The O’s will send cash considerations to the Sox along with De Aza in exchange for Double-A right-hander Joe Gunkel. In order to accommodate De Aza on their 40-man roster, the Red Sox have transferred righty Brandon Workman to the 60-day DL, the club announced.

So it's Joe Gunkel going to the O's, never heard of him.

MLBTR

cocossox
06-03-2015, 06:51 PM
In eight MLB seasons, De Aza has played for the White Sox, Marlins and Orioles. He has a career .265/.328/.401/.728 slash line.

RedSoxtober
06-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Gunkel was an 18th round pick who actually generated a little buzz early this season with 22K/4BB/22IP, .203 BAA, 0.91 whip out of Salem's BP. The numbers jumped sharply with his promotion to POR. Not projected higher than MR.

Nomar
06-04-2015, 11:46 AM
De Aza isn't "terrible". He's got a little speed and is better defensively than Prguero. If we only bat him vs RHP he'll be an average player. Good 5th OF

BoSox47
06-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Just curious what this means for JBJ, are they just keeping him down there to get more ABs, is there a trade looming?

RedSoxtober
06-04-2015, 01:52 PM
The fact that the Sox were willing to give up a promising pitcher in Gunkel – even if a likely middle innings future makes him replaceable – suggests that the Sox are looking for different solutions against righthanded pitchers with their outfield mix. Perhaps the Sox hope to give more days off to Betts and Rusney Castillo against righties; perhaps the team feels it needed an offensive upgrade over Daniel Nava (and doesn’t view Jackie Bradley Jr. as the player to provide that). Regardless, Gunkel suggests that De Aza represents something different to the Sox than Carlos Peguero, who met with Farrell after Wednesday’s game, presumably to be designated for assignment.Alex Speier

Nomar
06-04-2015, 01:58 PM
I think JBJ could still use more ABs in AAA. His BA is inflated a great deal, and he isn't drawing many walks. We'll see if that happens as pitchers begin pitching around him.

You also want JBJ getting consistent PAs, which he wouldn't at the big league level. He may be an upgrade over De Aza, but it would be a marginal upgrade if anything.

I don't want JBJ traded, but I'd keep him in AAA unless Castillo gets injured and Victorino isn't healthy.

RedSoxtober
06-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I don't want JBJ traded, but I'd keep him in AAA unless Castillo gets injured and Victorino isn't healthy.

Yup. Too many OFers this year but that may open up in 2016. No reason to rush a decision on JBJr until his options are used up.

Nomar
06-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Yup. Too many OFers this year but that may open up in 2016. No reason to rush a decision on JBJr until his options are used up.

I'm also convinced his bat will be at least average (100+ wRC), in which case he's a 3+ WAR player with his glove even in RF. I think if you trade him, he's another guy who finds his stride as an above average, inexpensive player. He's slowly but surely finding his stroke again. When he's 26 years old, I'm confident he'll be a capable starter. Might as well hold on to him unless another team overvalues him.

Nomar
06-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Too soon to move Kelly to the pen IMO. I'm also not confident that Johnson would be any better from a peripherals standpoint. A 4.00 xFIP for Kelly is about what I would expect from Johnson too this year.

Kelly had a hot stretch where he looked like a potential #3 starter. I'm willing to give him a little more time to get out of his rough patch. He's not Masterson who had pretty much no upside considering his absence of any velocity.

cocossox
06-07-2015, 02:34 PM
with this I would guess Nava & Victorino days are numbered.

RedSoxtober
06-20-2015, 12:04 PM
But De Aza is starting to feel like a keeper. The Sox are reportedly paying him one-fifth of his $5 million salary (the Orioles are due to pay the rest) with the understanding that he can handle the part-time role that’s proven difficult for so many before him. Mike Carp did it well in 2013 but got so frustrated by his lack of playing time he asked for a trade last July.

De Aza is bringing a different approach.

“I try to be friendly with everybody,” he said. “I try to be open with everybody, if anybody needs anything from me, if I need anything from any of my teammates if I’m comfortable to talk or ask.

“I come into work with the energy that I’m going to help the team some way, either in the lineup or on the bench, support the teammates and talk to them. Sometimes in these games you need someone to say something to you so you know they’ll have your back.”Boston Herald