PDA

View Full Version : Wolves willing to move Rubio for "Right price" any takers?

spreadeagle
06-02-2015, 11:48 PM
I think draft day will be really interesting this year
The Minnesota Timberwolves appear to have a bright future. With Andrew Wiggins, Zach LaVine and Anthony Bennett continuing to develop, they appear on the verge of adding another young stud with the No. 1 overall pick in next month’s NBA draft — perhaps the supremely skilled Karl-Anthony Towns or the offensive polished Jahlil Okafor.

No matter who they pick, though, the overwhelming opinion is that they’re in good hands heading into the future. However, there’s a true question as to whether 24-year-old point guard Ricky Rubio will be a part of said future.

Even though the Wolves just inked him to a five-year, $55 million contract extension last fall, the Timberwolves are reportedly believed to be willing to move the four-year veteran for the right price. Rubio is still young and a supremely talented young point guard, but has his faults. One of them being the lack of a consistent jumper. And that tends to be a growing problem in an NBA that is changing to more a perimeter-oriented game.

And if the Wolves would figure out a way to deal Rubio, potentially on NBA draft night, it could open the door for Minnesota potentially taking Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell in next month’s draft, who many believe could be the best player out of the draft down the road.

[via ESPN, H/T Real GM]

The Minnesota Timberwolves and Ricky Rubio agreed upon a $55 million contract extension last October, but the team is believed to be willing to consider dealing him in the right deal.

Rubio was limited last season by an ankle injury.

Rubio is still just 24 and is one of the game’s most gifted passers, but he has yet to develop his perimeter shot.

The Wolves are also high on D’Angelo Russell.

It isn’t known what the Wolves consider “the right deal” for Rubio. Though, you’d think it involve draft picks, or future picks, and potentially an expiring contract or a veteran with the potential to contribute right away or help with the developing process.

Rubio only played in 22 games last season due to an ankle injury. He averaged 10.3 points, 8.8 assists and 5.7 rebounds per game in the contests he did play in, but only shot 36 percent from the field. http://sircharlesincharge.com/2015/06/02/nba-rumors-wolves-ricky-rubio-on-the-trade-block/

FlashBolt
06-02-2015, 11:49 PM
PG's who can't shoot are useless these days.

Hawkeye15
06-03-2015, 12:02 AM
he won't draw any interest, no

5ass
06-03-2015, 12:02 AM
PG's who can't shoot are useless these days.

Yea tell that to the guy making 12.5 mill next year.

5ass
06-03-2015, 12:03 AM

Agreed. Mostly because almost every team is set at PG. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors inquire about him though.

PraiseJesus
06-03-2015, 12:06 AM
Rubio fits very well right where hes at

spreadeagle
06-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Agreed. Mostly because almost every team is set at PG. I wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors inquire about him though.

Id trade Ross n Vasquez for em, then try to move Lowry for some good pieces

Raps08-09 Champ
06-03-2015, 12:13 AM
I'll give you a future 1st for Rubio but you have to give me Wiggins.

flea
06-03-2015, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't mind him on the Pels at all. Of course there's a logjam at the guard positions, and having him + Evans on the court together would be terrible. I don't think it'll ever end up happening but I think there's a lot of use for a guy like Rubio.

But he's the sort of passer I'd like to have with Davis. Davis isn't really an ISO player that you can camp out on the low block, and I'm not sure he ever will be. More of a P&R dynamo who can take pop and shoot or take guys off the dribble once the defense is already moving. A fantastic passer and versatile defender like Rubio would be great with him. Let them go under every screen if they want - Davis can pop and hit his 45% midrange game or Rubio can hit cutters/dumpoffs. Plus I think Rubio eventually gets at least a decent midrange or floater game eventually. He's still very young for a PG.

Stunner
06-03-2015, 12:29 AM
Dallas bound

More-Than-Most
06-03-2015, 12:44 AM

Lol I was just gonna come in here and say no offense to hawk but he is trash and wont draw any interest.

kobe4thewinbang
06-03-2015, 12:48 AM
The white Rondo? LOL...I don't see him attracting much.

beasted86
06-03-2015, 12:53 AM
I don't understand the advantage Rubio gives your team or why he's paid like a starter. What is he supposedly good at?

Even with all the perfect pieces like Rondo had, I don't even think he'll be as solid as Rondo was.

beasted86
06-03-2015, 12:56 AM

Rondo couldn't shoot, but he was incredibly crafty around the basket and could finish.

Rubio seems to miss a ton of layups. He also doesn't defend like Rondo pre ACL.

Kyben36
06-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Knicks, but im not sure what they could offer other than the 4th, which he isnt even close to being worth that.

kobe4thewinbang
06-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Rubio has 'playing in Europe soon' written all over him.

Teeboy1487
06-03-2015, 01:20 AM
Minny should trade Rubio to the Rockets for their 18th. Then Minnesota can draft Tyus Jones (Okafor's BFF) to go with Okafor who Flip favors. They should move both Pek and Rubio imo. I would gladly accept if the Lakers take on Pek's contract in exchange for an unprotected 2016 1st round pick.

lamzoka
06-03-2015, 02:13 AM
Knicks were willing to trade the whole MSG for Rubio back in '09. Now they won't even take him for a bag of chips.

Wolves passed on Curry twice for Rubio and Johnny Flynn lol

Jarvo
06-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Knicks were willing to trade the whole MSG for Rubio back in '09. Now they won't even take him for a bag of chips.

The Warriors were laughing their *** off at that lmao

tredigs
06-03-2015, 02:46 AM
I don't understand the advantage Rubio gives your team or why he's paid like a starter. What is he supposedly good at?

Even with all the perfect pieces like Rondo had, I don't even think he'll be as solid as Rondo was.

You really don't understand what Rubio's good at, or your just being your usual trolly self?

Goose17
06-03-2015, 02:52 AM
Rubio has a place in this league. Just not with his price tag, not until the cap goes up.

Maybe I'm biased. I always wanted to see this guy succeed. Great court vision.

GoferKing_
06-03-2015, 03:20 AM
I can give you Sauce Castillo and Jason Thompson.

FriedTofuz
06-03-2015, 04:29 AM
Knicks would probably offer the wolves a 1st round pick for him.

FriedTofuz
06-03-2015, 04:31 AM
Illl trade Lebron's old sweatband for rubio at this point.

IKnowHoops
06-03-2015, 04:38 AM

If I'm MN I do that deal

Ariza's Better
06-03-2015, 04:38 AM
Minny should trade Rubio to the Rockets for their 18th.
No

IKnowHoops
06-03-2015, 04:39 AM
I wouldn't mind him on the Pels at all. Of course there's a logjam at the guard positions, and having him + Evans on the court together would be terrible. I don't think it'll ever end up happening but I think there's a lot of use for a guy like Rubio.

But he's the sort of passer I'd like to have with Davis. Davis isn't really an ISO player that you can camp out on the low block, and I'm not sure he ever will be. More of a P&R dynamo who can take pop and shoot or take guys off the dribble once the defense is already moving. A fantastic passer and versatile defender like Rubio would be great with him. Let them go under every screen if they want - Davis can pop and hit his 45% midrange game or Rubio can hit cutters/dumpoffs. Plus I think Rubio eventually gets at least a decent midrange or floater game eventually. He's still very young for a PG.

Id trade Rubio straight up for Evans as a T-wolves fan

naps
06-03-2015, 04:41 AM

He is not even half the player Rondo was in his Boston big three days. Rondo made solid argument for the best PG in the league for a few years.

naps
06-03-2015, 04:47 AM

Yeah I understand taking Rubio over Curry back then. Rubio was so damn hyped for a long time that he was supposedly going to be the number one seed. So I understand why they took him over Curry, but Curry was a very talked about prospect as well and how the hell you take over Jonny Flynn? David Khan blew the Wolves future multiple times.

IKnowHoops
06-03-2015, 05:00 AM
I think/hope there is a deal out there that can be made for Rubio. Id trade him for any pick in the top 20 this year. Would be awesome if the T-wolves could trade Rubio and get in position to take both of those 7 footers from Kentucky.

mgjohnson7851
06-03-2015, 05:25 AM
Minny should trade Rubio to the Rockets for their 18th. Then Minnesota can draft Tyus Jones (Okafor's BFF) to go with Okafor who Flip favors. They should move both Pek and Rubio imo. I would gladly accept if the Lakers take on Pek's contract in exchange for an unprotected 2016 1st round pick.
Not to mention Jones is from Minnesota. He'd be playing at home, and it would create a lot of buzz in the Twin Cities.

Goose17
06-03-2015, 06:27 AM
I can give you Sauce Castillo and Jason Thompson.

Almost worth it just to have the guy with the best nickname in the league.

Goose17
06-03-2015, 06:48 AM
OKC get; Ricky Rubio, #2 pick (Lakers), #31st pick (T'Wolves) and Ed Davis.

Minnesota get; #14th pick (OKC)

Lakers get; Russel Westbrook.

Rubio - Morrow - Durant - Ibaka - Kanter

And we get to watch the hilarious back court of Westbrook and Kobe... lmfao.

Let's get it done!!!

Just kidding.

MonroeFAN
06-03-2015, 07:18 AM
The right price in Minnesota's eyes is most likely a gross overpay.

Edit : I'm sure they want more than the #18, but he makes a lot of sense in Houston.

beasted86
06-03-2015, 07:46 AM
You really don't understand what Rubio's good at, or your just being your usual trolly self?

In sorry your level of intellect couldn't pick up that I was being facetious to a certain extent.

Rubio isn't that good though at what he does and is a bottom 10 starter very easily without any bias.

I do believe that even with a tailor made team to his play style that he still wouldn't be an all-star.

2-ONE-5
06-03-2015, 08:51 AM
they should have never gave him that deal, now they are going to be stuck with him

2-ONE-5
06-03-2015, 08:53 AM

this is the best idea posted. make sense for both teams.

koreancabbage
06-03-2015, 08:54 AM
can't shoot, injury prone, too small,

qualities that would turn me off

xbrackattackx
06-03-2015, 09:25 AM

We don't have our pick next year.

nycericanguy
06-03-2015, 09:29 AM
I'm not as down on Rubio as most, I think he'd be a star at MSG, that's where he always wanted to go.

Can't offer much though, THJR + JC?

Hawkeye15
06-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Rubio isn't the trash many of you are making him out to be here. His issue is, if he gets a hangnail, he misses 30 games. His shot looked better, then injury, then it's jacked again. He can't stay upright long enough to show sustained improvement in the areas he is lacking. There is no doubt the team is night and day better with him on the floor, his composure, ability to get players where they should be, his rebounding, defense, and ability to get players the ball in scoring positions through tight spaces is great.

The dude simply can't stay healthy for the life of him. Why would any team take on a PG who can't stay on the floor? Forget his shooting woes, they could get better (they were before he went down, making nearly 58% of his long 2's), but the building up of lower leg injuries to a guy who is 6'4" and plays like he does is concerning.

Chronz
06-03-2015, 09:58 AM
jamal crawford and/or hawes the right deal?

LanceUpperCut
06-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Gross. Why would MU do that? Rubio has negative value IMO

Goose17
06-03-2015, 10:31 AM
If they could somehow convince the Pels to take on Rubio, send Jrue to Houston and then the Rockets pick to Minny. That would make more sense imo. Especially for Houston.

Jrue can handle, distribute and defend pretty well. More importantly he's a more reliable scorer than Rubio.

Jrue Holiday - James Harden - Trevor Ariza - Donatas Motiejunas - Dwight Howard.

That seems like a solid starting 5 of two way players.

Rubio in a Gentry offense would be fun to watch as well. Pelicans need to somehow work Asik into the deal and get back a shooter and maybe a 2nd round pick. They lack wing shooters and they need a better fit at the C for Davis sake.

nycericanguy
06-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Gross. Why would MU do that? Rubio has negative value IMO

Rubio would make TOR a much better team than Lowry IMO.

His defense, passing, rebounding are all elite for his position and TOR needs to get away from the Lowry/DD ISO ball.

Especially if they could turn around and flip Lowry for a solid forward.

TOR actually seems like a good fit for Rubio.

Hawkeye15
06-03-2015, 10:37 AM

we already have a young Jamal in Lavine haha

Goose17
06-03-2015, 10:44 AM

How would the Clippers use Rubio? Surely they're chasing another wing?

Shammyguy3
06-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Rubio isn't the trash many of you are making him out to be here. His issue is, if he gets a hangnail, he misses 30 games. His shot looked better, then injury, then it's jacked again. He can't stay upright long enough to show sustained improvement in the areas he is lacking. There is no doubt the team is night and day better with him on the floor, his composure, ability to get players where they should be, his rebounding, defense, and ability to get players the ball in scoring positions through tight spaces is great.

The dude simply can't stay healthy for the life of him. Why would any team take on a PG who can't stay on the floor? Forget his shooting woes, they could get better (they were before he went down, making nearly 58% of his long 2's), but the building up of lower leg injuries to a guy who is 6'4" and plays like he does is concerning.

Rose for Rubio, get it done

Hawkeye15
06-03-2015, 12:22 PM

it would just be trading 2 injury prone players for one another haha. I will keep the cheaper one in Rubio. Plus, he has flair man, and the chicks love him.

Stunner
06-03-2015, 12:34 PM
it would just be trading 2 injury prone players for one another haha. I will keep the cheaper one in Rubio. Plus, he has flair man, and the chicks love him.

Rose has a baby

Stunner
06-03-2015, 12:34 PM

I'll hang myself

KnicksorBust
06-03-2015, 12:50 PM
I'll play along.

I would give Jose Calderon, Tim Hardaway Jr., and Cleanthony Early for Rubio.

koreancabbage
06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
OKC get; Ricky Rubio, #2 pick (Lakers), #31st pick (T'Wolves) and Ed Davis.

Minnesota get; #14th pick (OKC)

Lakers get; Russel Westbrook.

Rubio - Morrow - Durant - Ibaka - Kanter

And we get to watch the hilarious back court of Westbrook and Kobe... lmfao.

Let's get it done!!!

Just kidding.

i was like LOL

koreancabbage
06-03-2015, 01:25 PM
I'll play along.

Melo would benefit from getting passes but Rubio can't shoot.

FlashBolt
06-03-2015, 01:37 PM
I don't think Rubio is worth having on any team these days besides lottery teams. It's a PG boom in which you can find many elite PG's and those who can shoot are just so dangerous for your team. Rubio can't score for jack besides being "crafty" but he's also missed wide open layups. Maybe you can shift him over to the Rockets or something but I honestly can't find a good reason to have him over other PG's out there.

Vinylman
06-03-2015, 01:53 PM
His contract is TOXIC because of its length...

they wolves would be lucky to get anything for him unless they were willing to take an equally bad but shorter deal back.

The only thing I was wondering was whether someone dumb (ie Brooklyn) would do a deal with them just to get out of the LT this coming year...

valade16
06-03-2015, 02:01 PM
I can never understand how a player can be so bad at shooting and yet be good at Free Throws.

Similarly, I'll never understand how someone can be a good shooter and be not very good at Free Throws.

Hawkeye15
06-03-2015, 02:02 PM
I don't think Rubio is worth having on any team these days besides lottery teams. It's a PG boom in which you can find many elite PG's and those who can shoot are just so dangerous for your team. Rubio can't score for jack besides being "crafty" but he's also missed wide open layups. Maybe you can shift him over to the Rockets or something but I honestly can't find a good reason to have him over other PG's out there.

he does need to be option 4-5 in the starting lineup, for sure. With Wiggins (and praying for Towns), that helps. But yeah, he is more of a 11-9-6-2.5 guy who defends.

That is, when he actually plays, and that is problem #1, 2, 3, and 4 for him right now.

Stunner
06-03-2015, 03:05 PM
@basketballtalk: Rumor: Timberwolves may consider drafting D’Angelo Russell with No. 1 pick, ‘might be willing to move Ricky Rubio’… http://t.co/ia33GvFEQ7

phantasyyy
06-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Rubio would make TOR a much better team than Lowry IMO.

His defense, passing, rebounding are all elite for his position and TOR needs to get away from the Lowry/DD ISO ball.

Especially if they could turn around and flip Lowry for a solid forward.

TOR actually seems like a good fit for Rubio.

Its crazy but, those are the exact qualities that got Lowry his first all star bid..

R. Johnson#3
06-03-2015, 03:22 PM

He can't shoot the 3 so he doesn't fit into Casey's system.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-03-2015, 04:09 PM
They should just keep him and tell him not to shoot. Then they can just run and gun.

C - Towns
PF - Bennett
SF - Wiggins
SG - Lavine
PG - Rubio

Raps08-09 Champ
06-03-2015, 04:09 PM
He can't shoot the 3 so he doesn't fit into Casey's system.

Vasquez plays like 23 mins a game for us and he's a similar player (though he can shoot the 3 a bit). Casey could find a role for him.

IKnowHoops
06-03-2015, 04:44 PM

If I'm MN, I do that deal easily.

KnicksorBust
06-03-2015, 04:49 PM
I'll play along.

Melo would benefit from getting passes but Rubio can't shoot.

Is it possible to win in the league without a PG that can shoot?

IKnowHoops
06-03-2015, 04:50 PM
@basketballtalk: Rumor: Timberwolves may consider drafting D’Angelo Russell with No. 1 pick, ‘might be willing to move Ricky Rubio’… http://t.co/ia33GvFEQ7

Im not that impressed with this guys college highlight film. No way would I draft him over the two bigs.

KnicksorBust
06-03-2015, 04:51 PM
null

The hearsay during this time of year get silly. Maybe you havent followed Internet draft rumors before?

Stunner
06-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Im not that impressed with this guys college highlight film. No way would I draft him over the two bigs.

Russell the best player in the draft

KnicksorBust
06-03-2015, 05:01 PM

Russell the best player in the draft

He can only impact a game from one end.

Stunner
06-03-2015, 05:27 PM

That's not really true , he has the tools to become a very sound defender . He's nowhere near awful on that end but like all young players they can get better . The same could be said about Okafor if you're going that route .

Let's not act like a player coming out that effected one side of the ball didn't go number 1 before

KnicksorBust
06-03-2015, 05:49 PM

That's not really true , he has the tools to become a very sound defender . He's nowhere near awful on that end but like all young players they can get better . The same could be said about Okafor if you're going that route .

Let's not act like a player coming out that effected one side of the ball didn't go number 1 before

Does he have the ceiling of Towns?

Stunner
06-03-2015, 05:52 PM

I like him and towns more than Okafor , but with Russell I see him having a greater percentage of becoming that star teams are looking for . He just has everything you want in a franchise guy . He can be your Star PG or SG depending on what you want .

Raps08-09 Champ
06-03-2015, 05:53 PM

Rajon Rondo and Gary Payton.

Stunner
06-03-2015, 06:01 PM
If the Wolves took Russell

Would Philly take a Rubio / Shabazz / Dieng for Noel and Covington deal ?

That would leave Philly with either Okafor or Towns at 3 with Mudiay . I think the Lakers would go Towns over Okafor and that case Okafor and Joel would fit a lot better than Joel and Noel .

KnicksorBust
06-03-2015, 06:10 PM

I like him and towns more than Okafor , but with Russell I see him having a greater percentage of becoming that star teams are looking for . He just has everything you want in a franchise guy . He can be your Star PG or SG depending on what you want .

Fair enough.

KnicksorBust
06-03-2015, 06:10 PM

Rajon Rondo and Gary Payton.

Miami Payton?

R. Johnson#3
06-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Vasquez plays like 23 mins a game for us and he's a similar player (though he can shoot the 3 a bit). Casey could find a role for him.

I was being sarcastic. On another note, Rubio and Vasquez are not similar at all.

Saddletramp
06-03-2015, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't want him in Houston as he can't shoot the three and would take away from Harden (who's technically the PG anyway). But if Rubio to Tor/Lowry to Houston/18th pick to Minnesota is available, I'd do it.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Miami Payton?

Yea. Though I just saw he wasn't starting.

KingPosey
06-03-2015, 07:58 PM
I want him no where near my Kings.

xxplayerxx23
06-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Knicks, but im not sure what they could offer other than the 4th, which he isnt even close to being worth that.

No

JEDean89
06-03-2015, 09:53 PM

russell westbrook. derrick rose. eric bledsoe. not great shooters but they win games. rubes is a tremendous defensive presence, with Dieng and Towns spacing, a guy who can collapse the defense and make plays becomes extremely valuable. At some point you don't want a PG who scores 20 ppg. The Wolves are going to have so many options, with guys like Lavine, Wiggins, Dieng, Towns/Oka, Bennet, Muhammed, Pek, Martin, that they won't need the scoring from the point. If Towns can shoot the 3 ball, Rubio is your guy.