PDA

View Full Version : What would you trade for Demar Derozan?

FriedTofuz
06-01-2015, 10:36 PM
Just wondering which teams could use him and waht they're willing to trade.
I hope no one minds this thread, I think it would be a good discussion since the finals dont start for another couple days.

Id be thrilled if derozan could be traded for a top 10 lottery pick or 2 future mid-late lottery picks. Raptors would be better off tanking and finding talent in the draft to build a proper core.

Bostonjorge
06-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Tristan Thompson and jr smith.

JustinTime
06-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Just wondering which teams could use him and waht they're willing to trade.
I hope no one minds this thread, I think it would be a good discussion since the finals dont start for another couple days.

Id be thrilled if derozan could be traded for a top 10 lottery pick or 2 future mid-late lottery picks. Raptors would be better off tanking and finding talent in the draft to build a proper core.

Ujiri should have tanked for Wiggins way back I knew this team was going nowhere way back.

bucketss
06-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Ujiri should have tanked for Wiggins way back I knew this team was going nowhere way back.

weren't you like super critical of wiggins?

RaiderKid318
06-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Pels would probably trade anything but Davis lol

Miltstar
06-01-2015, 11:48 PM
DD needs to develop a 3pS if he ever wants to make some noise

LakersEaglesLA
06-01-2015, 11:49 PM
As a Lakers fan I wouldn't trade anything for him, he can opt out next summer and he's from LA.. Lakers have Cap space and Demar may want to come home.

xbrackattackx
06-02-2015, 09:37 AM
I would trade Jordan Hill,Young,Tarik Black and s&t Ed Davis,and our 27th pick and a 2nd round for DD,Tross,Hans and s&t Lou Williams.

Demar is only making 9 a year I think and expires soon. Gives us more fire power for Kobes last year. And Also lets us develop rookies.

For the Raptors

They get a decent pick for the draft,A 2nd rounder which is hit or miss they are pretty good at drafting lately though. Also get some Big Man depth like woah! Hill,Black and Davis is a nice bench of big guys. Also they get a player who can score in bunches and replace Lou will.

GiantsSwaGG
06-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Nothing

IndyRealist
06-02-2015, 10:10 AM
No one's giving up a top 10 pick for DeRozan. Shooting guards who can't shoot are on the way out. Floor spacing is king in today's NBA.

North Yorker
06-02-2015, 10:12 AM
As a Lakers fan I wouldn't trade anything for him, he can opt out next summer and he's from LA.. Lakers have Cap space and Demar may want to come home.

He does not have an opt-out in his contract. That is a mistake by whichever source you're using.

Spotrac has it correct, under contract for 2 more seasons: http://www.spotrac.com/nba/toronto-raptors/demar-derozan/

2-ONE-5
06-02-2015, 10:13 AM

hahaha this dude went from praising wiggins to the moon after 1 summer game to bashing on him nons top the first half of the season it was pretty funny.

North Yorker
06-02-2015, 10:17 AM
No one's giving up a top 10 pick for DeRozan. Shooting guards who can't shoot are on the way out. Floor spacing is king in today's NBA.

Jrue Holiday netted #6 + an unprotected 1st the following year (#12). DeRozan isn't amazing but he's a solid starter entering his prime and has a good contract for the next 2 years in a thin SG league. He could easily net a top 10 pick imo.

akesh99
06-02-2015, 10:18 AM
I would trade Jordan Hill,Young,Tarik Black and s&t Ed Davis,and our 27th pick and a 2nd round for DD,Tross,Hans and s&t Lou Williams.

Demar is only making 9 a year I think and expires soon. Gives us more fire power for Kobes last year. And Also lets us develop rookies.

For the Raptors

They get a decent pick for the draft,A 2nd rounder which is hit or miss they are pretty good at drafting lately though. Also get some Big Man depth like woah! Hill,Black and Davis is a nice bench of big guys. Also they get a player who can score in bunches and replace Lou will.

Your values are insanely off.. No chance in hell Raps even consider that deal

nycericanguy
06-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Jrue Holiday netted #6 + an unprotected 1st the following year (#12). DeRozan isn't amazing but he's a solid starter entering his prime and has a good contract for the next 2 years in a thin SG league. He could easily net a top 10 pick imo.

that was obviously an awful trade for NOLA looking back, but at the time Jrue was 21 or 22 years old and they must have felt that he had big upside. Even then though I thought it was an awful trade for them, but now it looks even worse because not only did Jrue not really get better, he actually regressed and became injury prone.

DD is about to turn 26 and going into his 7th season, at this point he is what he is, I'm not sure teams will look at him as having this big, untapped potential.

dalton749
06-02-2015, 10:47 AM
He doesn't need to have big untapped potential. He was an allstar last year, and the injury this year didnt get him back to normal until the end of the season and he won player of the month.
For a team to trade for him though, they should already have their star in place because he can't be your first scoring option. As the second option he could be very effective when playing for a coach who doesn't tell him to shoot anything and everything. He can also shoot the corner three pretty well so that isn't as big an issue as people make it.
To me that's worth around the 4th pick. Top 3 could get u a superstar, outside of that this deal gauruntees an allstar which is hard to draft

ManRam
06-02-2015, 11:05 AM

I don't think the 76ers fleecing the Hornets/Pellies necessarily sets the market price for every subsequent trade. Maybe the Raptors can sucker someone into a similar bad trade, but just because that one happened doesn't mean it's absolutely the market value. I'm not convinced he'd fetch a top-10 pick. Maybe. But not certainly.

As a Magic fan, I wouldn't entertain a trade for him. Not necessarily an indictment on DeRozan, but just a fit thing.

North Yorker
06-02-2015, 11:23 AM
I don't think the 76ers fleecing the Hornets/Pellies necessarily sets the market price for every subsequent trade. Maybe the Raptors can sucker someone into a similar bad trade, but just because that one happened doesn't mean it's absolutely the market value. I'm not convinced he'd fetch a top-10 pick. Maybe. But not certainly.

As a Magic fan, I wouldn't entertain a trade for him. Not necessarily an indictment on DeRozan, but just a fit thing.

Gerald Wallace to Brooklyn is another example. Not to mention Toronto would probably take back a bad contract to make salaries match. I don't think DeRozan for a top 10 pick+ bad contract/filler is that outrageous.

Just as an example, DeRozan to Charlotte for #9 and Stephenson's deal seems pretty fair to me, from a value standpoint. Obviously finding the right fit is key, I think Indy would be the perfect spot for him personally.

dalton749
06-02-2015, 11:36 AM
He's worth more than 9th and a bad contract. He was drafted at 9 as a project and has become an allstar so his value would have to be up from there for Masai to make the deal.
Derozan,20 for 7, faired
Derozan for Knicks 4
What I would consider fair, but not sure those teams would make the deal

For all the hate he gets, he was the number 1 option on a top 3 offence and they were top 10 defence until his injury when they fell off a cliff to 27th

nycericanguy
06-02-2015, 11:47 AM

exactly, we can all look back at some awful, lopsided trades, that doesn't mean that's the fair market value of a similar player now.

Some of the trades being thrown out here are just delusional. DD for the #4 pick? Really? On what planet would even the Knicks even entertain that?

right now i'd say his market value would be a pick just outside the lottery, or maybe another young, but flawed player like Tyreke Evans? Those I think Evans has higher value right now. But something along those lines.

Not sure many teams would really be interested though, not cuz he's a bad player but he's not the NEW NBA type SG. Inefficient and can't shoot.

nycericanguy
06-02-2015, 11:56 AM
let's be real here, if Masaii could get a top 10 pick or even a lottery pick for DD, then DD would be at the airport right now...lol

North Yorker
06-02-2015, 11:59 AM
let's be real here, if Masaii could get a top 10 pick or even a lottery pick for DD, then DD would be at the airport right now...lol

He may have landed a lottery/top 10 pick for Andrea Bargnani. Don't underestimate what DeRozan could land him.

aman_13
06-02-2015, 11:59 AM
DD can shoot. The problem is his shot selection and usage. He's not a number 1 option.

Goose17
06-02-2015, 12:36 PM
I don't think he's worth a lotto pick at this point. Not unless you're in a "win now" mode and would rather have a scoring punch than risk drafting a rook that could end up being a bust.

WaDe03
06-02-2015, 12:51 PM
10th pick Birdman Chalmers and Napier.

NYKnickFanatic
06-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Tristan Thompson and jr smith.

Replace TT and JR with Derozan and the Cavs don't beat the Bulls.

KnicksorBust
06-02-2015, 12:59 PM

Good deal for both

dalton749
06-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Replace TT and JR with Derozan and the Cavs don't beat the Bulls.

Only because they would have no front court to play. But derozan playing beside Lebron would have people calling him a star.

The people saying he is t worth a lottery pick are clueless

Necrosis
06-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Your values are insanely off.. No chance in hell Raps even consider that deal

LOL, i read the trade and spit my drink out.

Demar is an all star on a good contract who has improved every year. i wouldn't trade him for the garbage he offered, I wouldn't want young on my team, hill is ok, ed davis is below avg, and the pick is useless.

Throw in T ross? lolol. ross has more value then any of those players, he still has potential and all the tools.

nycericanguy
06-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Only because they would have no front court to play. But derozan playing beside Lebron would have people calling him a star.

not really, LBJ plays better with shooters and spacers around him, DD is an ISO guy. Waiters didn't thrive playing alongside LBJ cuz he couldn't shoot and wanted to ISO. Where-as Shump & JR have played well because they space and shoot.

Even LBJ & Wade was never ideal because Wade couldn't shoot... but Wade was a top 5-10 player so they had to make it work.

bucketss
06-02-2015, 01:32 PM
derozan can shoot, hes just not great from 3 but hes pretty good mid range shooter. his % is low because he loves taking deep 2's.

Goose17
06-02-2015, 01:37 PM

Lol how is he worth a lottery pick? Like I said unless you're in "win now" mode and don't want to take the time to develop a rookie and need someone who can be productive right now. Why would you do that trade?

He's a shooting guard that can't shoot and is average defensively.

In the right system he could be good but realistically the only way a team gives a lotto pick for him is if they're one piece away from contending.

Goose17
06-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Ideal situation would be to somehow convince the Nuggets that they need him.

Nuggets get DeRozan and Patrick Beverley.

Houston get Ty Lawson.

Toronto gets Houston's first round pick (18th) and Wilson Chandler.

Even then I don't think it works (as in financially) and I highly doubt any of the teams would be willing to do this.

DeRozan could be great, in a very niche role. But nobody with a decent pick (who would be willing to trade it) has that role to fill.

You could maybe get Bostons 16th if they thought they were getting Love.

Smart - Bradley - DeRozan - Love - Zeller

But even then I'm not remotely convinced. Just spit balling here.

I don't see a legitimate trade.

JustinTime
06-02-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally I wanted the Raptors to get him more than anything. I was critical of him for the first quarter of last season because he looked awful and played disinterested which made me think I had made a mistake on him.

JustinTime
06-02-2015, 01:54 PM
hahaha this dude went from praising wiggins to the moon after 1 summer game to bashing on him nons top the first half of the season it was pretty funny.

I was just pissed off because I expected the number 1 pick to come out flying and for the first quarter of that season he was looking like a huge bust. I should have stuck to my original view of him because it ended up being right but it was pretty discouraging watching him play out there early on.

JustinTime
06-02-2015, 01:58 PM
derozan can shoot, hes just not great from 3 but hes pretty good mid range shooter. his % is low because he loves taking deep 2's.

Clearly we have to trade him to Minnesota Flip Saunders is in love with the long two. He banned 4 or 5 players from shooting 3's in favor of the long two.

dalton749
06-02-2015, 02:10 PM
not really, LBJ plays better with shooters and spacers around him, DD is an ISO guy. Waiters didn't thrive playing alongside LBJ cuz he couldn't shoot and wanted to ISO. Where-as Shump & JR have played well because they space and shoot.

Even LBJ & Wade was never ideal because Wade couldn't shoot... but Wade was a top 5-10 player so they had to make it work.

Derozan is like a wade light, and I'd say is a better from corner 3. But he's elite at getting to the rim and free throw line so between him and Lebron they would have teams in the penalty all game, and be unstoppable in transition.
As for the ISO game, that's more of a system thing in Toronto, Casey is a terrible offensive coach, who rarely calls plays and gave all of the guards the power to call an ISO whenever they felt they had an advantage, it worked as they had the 3rd ranked offense but derozan is at his best when the ball is moving.
On Team USA when he wasn't asked to shoot everything, he was a good secondary playmaker off them bench in the pick and roll, and did a great job of hitting open shooters as well as getting his within the flow which is what we would see on a Lebron ran team

koreancabbage
06-02-2015, 02:14 PM

well DD still carries a lot of value for any team, including the Raptors, versus a lottery pick.

he's an allstar in the East when healthy and is an elite player getting to the line. There is a good chance that maybe 1-2 players in the top 10 of this draft might make an all star team - let alone be as productive as Derozan has been since coming into the league.

he's on a team friendly contract plus entering his prime. It really depends what the lottery team will do once get they get Derozan over drafting a new player. If they snag 2 more big time free agents as well, Derozan for a draft pick is great.

IndyRealist
06-02-2015, 05:38 PM
That makes him a bad shooter with poor shot selection.

People's valuation of DeRozan seems to be a good barometer for how they evaluate the NBA.

Saddletramp
06-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Houston get Ty Lawson.

Even then I don't think it works (as in financially) and I highly doubt any of the teams would be willing to do this.

DeRozan could be great, in a very niche role. But nobody with a decent pick (who would be willing to trade it) has that role to fill.

No way Denver does that without getting someone else. Raptors might do it. Rockets definitely do it.

bucketss
06-02-2015, 06:09 PM

Houston get Ty Lawson.

i mean he was an allstar not long ago, i'd rather keep him tbh.lol

Goose17
06-02-2015, 06:27 PM
i mean he was an allstar not long ago, i'd rather keep him tbh.lol

Eh. I don't put much weight into all star appearances personally.

Dade County
06-02-2015, 07:20 PM

I don't believe they would add in Rio. But a starting lineup of...

Dragon
Wade
Derozan
Bosh
Whiteside

Could do some damage, but I would think Pat would want a player with a friendly contract going forward. Yes, DeMar can opt out so that helps Riley plans for the end of 2016, but what if he leaves or they can't sign him to a team friendly contract. IDK

I guess it all depends if Pat can or can't get a super star player next off season. If they can't, I would like this trade because we could re-up with DeMar and still somewhat contend.

And when Wade takes games off, DD can just go to SG and we insert a shooter or defender. I have to think about this some more lol

nycericanguy
06-02-2015, 07:43 PM
^ DD could be a good option for MIA if Wade leaves, not WITH Wade though. That would be the worst shooting team in the league.