PDA

View Full Version : Compare the top prospects to players in the NBA today.

Ty Fast
06-01-2015, 08:34 PM
What are some comparisons for some of the prospects. I don't really watch college b-ball so I have no idea. Who do these guys play like.
KAT
Okafor
D'angelo Russell
Willie Cauley Stein
Emmanuel Mudiay
You can add others to.

Scoots
06-01-2015, 09:44 PM
There is SOOOOOOO much info on the players that this is just a non-starter of a thread. Your logo makes it look like you are a Heat fan ... you are not getting them :)

KAT - all around big, athletic, smart
Okafor - offensive big, smart
D'angelo Russell - Steph Curry wannabe
Willie Cauley Stein - Defensive big
Emmanuel Mudiay - prototypical PG size, can't shoot.

Mave1002
06-02-2015, 07:11 AM
KAT - Kevin Garnett, though less athletic and raw, he has an above average defense, plus range

Jahlil Okafor - Tim Duncan, a slight comparison, at least on his offensive fundamentals.

D'angelo Russell - I kinda agree with the Steph Curry comparison, well just have to wait and see.

Willie Cauley Stein - Defensive big -Tyson Chandler

Emmanuel Mudiay - John Wall, no perimeter game

InRoseWeTrust
06-02-2015, 12:42 PM
KAT - Serge Ibaka

Jahlil Okafor - Al Jefferson

D'angelo Russell - James Harden

Willie Cauley Stein - Joakim Noah

Emmanuel Mudiay - Derrick Rose

crewfan13
06-02-2015, 12:46 PM
KAT: I like the Garnett comp. Should be a defensive anchor and has a perimeter game.
Okafor: Al Jefferson. Good post threat. Can be an alright defender if you don't ask too much of him (i.e. have him playing off screens. If he's out on the perimeter on screens, he'll get abused)
Russell: Harden. Not a super athlete, but very smooth. Relies more on smarts and craftiness than quickness and pure athleticism.
Mudiay: I struggle to really do him. I don't watch a ton of high school videos and comps, and comparing him in the Chinese League is difficult when you don't really know the league. I've heard the Wall comparisons, but another one I heard from Jonathan Wasserman was Jrue Holiday, and I think from what I know that I like that one a lot too.
WCS: I really struggle with him for a comp. Chandler is an easy comp, but I'm not sure I love it. WCS isnt' the rebounder Chandler is, and may struggle with muscle more than Chandler ever did. But WCS also offers a bit more versatility, in the sense that I think he can legitimately shift out on smaller wings fairly consistently. I think a quicker John Henson might be a decent comp for him.
Justice Winslow: Jimmy Butler. Winslow should develop nicely into a do all wing player. He's a little short for a SF, but he should be able to handle the position. All in all, he should be able to play both SG and SF. I think he'll be a great all around player.

KnicksorBust
06-02-2015, 01:10 PM
All-time

Towns = Ewing
Okafor = Jefferson
Russell = Roy
Mudiay = KJ

TylerSL
06-02-2015, 02:33 PM
These are comparisions to who these players are most like or will resemble, not saying they are or ever will be as good as the players being mentioned

Karl-Anthony Towns-Kevin Garnett with less athleticism.
Jahlil Okafor-Tim Duncan
D'Angelo Russell-Stephen Curry with a worse jumper
Emmanuel Mudiay-John Wall
Justice Winslow-James Harden
Kristaps Porzingis-Andrea Bargnani but quicker and more athletic.
Mario Hezonja-Klay Thompson
Willie Cauley-Stein-Dwight Howard
Stanley Johnson-Kawhi Leonard/Ron Artest (before he was MWP)

Ultimately I believe this is a historically deep draft class and there are 4 potential superstars (KAT/Okafor/Russell/Mudiay) and 9 potential stars (all the players mentioned above) in this draft. After these guys there is still plenty of talent who will contribute to NBA teams as well. I'm convinced this is a historically deep draft and this will be the best draft since '03.

KnicksorBust
06-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Do people honestly believe Okafor compares to Duncan? To me it is a lazy comparison bc of post play.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Do people honestly believe Okafor compares to Duncan? To me it is a lazy comparison bc of post play.

he looks like a bigger, more effective Al Jefferson to me.

And Towns reminds me more of Brow light.

flea
06-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Okafor: somewhere between Kevin McHale and Patrick Ewing. Prototypical big man size and length, with a diverse set of moves made even more devastating by outstanding touch (like McHale). Good body for rebounding but hasn't shown the instincts to be truly elite. Good face-up jumper like Ewing, but not great range on it. Promising defensive potential because of length and size, but probably won't ever anchor a defense.

Towns: somewhere between Stat and Ibaka. Limited on the boards because of frame and length, but a good enough athlete to compensate somewhat. Needs a big body next to him generally, but can shoot enough to justify it. Not as good touch around the rim as Stat, but better moves than Ibaka. Don't ever see him as a 20 PPG scorer unless in an up-tempo offense and will not anchor an offense. Pretty good pick and roll player because of shooting and touch, but not elite because of frame/touch. Never saw him in the P&R much so this is speculation on my part.

Russell: Jamal Crawford. Typical shoot-first tweener whose frame and athleticism would play better at the 1, but whose game won't really function as that. Not a good enough shooter to make it immaterial (like Curry, who is really a 2) and won't do you many favors defensively.

Mudiay: haven't watched much of him but it sounds like you can take your pick of ball-dominant slashers without a J. Biggest bust potential of the top 6 or so.

Winslow: Demare Carroll. Don't see him ever having the handles to be a James Harden, but the size and strength will make him a versatile wing. Probably the most wide-open ceiling I see of any player not named Okafor. Could develop good enough handles to be a slashing ballhandler some part of the time like Pippen, could develop an off-the-bounce game and turn into Paul George type, could develop an all-around game and turn into a Kawhi Leonard type, and could develop a Lebron James-lite drive-and-kick game. I went with the conservative guess though.

Cauley-Stein:between Jo Noah and Ibaka. Noah with less rebounding ability and more shotblocking/paint protection. Don't see him being as fierce of a player as Noah, who should be an average rebounder based on his physical profile but has great instincts and drive, but better length/hops and just as good instincts on shot alteration. Won't ever shoot like Ibaka, but could shoot as well as Noah with work. Better finisher than Noah but won't ever be great (Ibaka-esque).

Trey Lyles: AK47 with less size and instincts. Combo forward can shoot enough to play the 3 next to a solid shooting 4, but ideally plays the 4. Doesn't do anything well enough to justify his presence as a starter but does everything pretty well. He was such a small part of UK's offense except in bench units as a 4 that it's hard to say really.

Mave1002
06-03-2015, 06:21 AM
These are comparisions to who these players are most like or will resemble, not saying they are or ever will be as good as the players being mentioned

Karl-Anthony Towns-Kevin Garnett with less athleticism.
Jahlil Okafor-Tim Duncan
D'Angelo Russell-Stephen Curry with a worse jumper
Emmanuel Mudiay-John Wall
Justice Winslow-James Harden
Kristaps Porzingis-Andrea Bargnani but quicker and more athletic.
Mario Hezonja-Klay Thompson
Willie Cauley-Stein-Dwight Howard
Stanley Johnson-Kawhi Leonard/Ron Artest (before he was MWP)

Ultimately I believe this is a historically deep draft class and there are 4 potential superstars (KAT/Okafor/Russell/Mudiay) and 9 potential stars (all the players mentioned above) in this draft. After these guys there is still plenty of talent who will contribute to NBA teams as well. I'm convinced this is a historically deep draft and this will be the best draft since '03.

Right on.

Bostonjorge
06-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Why is okafor a Duncan clone?

You can run a offense thru him. Great half court player.

Great passer out of the double team. Does not fear a double team and does not rush play's to avoid them.

Strong rebounder especially on offense. Cleans up the glass for his players.

Great touch around the basket. Has a soft touch but can finish strong. He just never misses.

Has high basketball IQ. Great feel for the game.

Okafor is already losing weight and working on his body to challenge more shots.

The biggest similarity of all is okafor always finds a way to win.

JWO35
06-03-2015, 09:16 AM
NBA Comparisons via nbadraft

Towns: Andrew Bogut/Vlade Divac
Okafor: Al Jefferson
Russell: Penny Hardaway/Brandon Roy
Prozingis: Andrea Bargnani/Pau Gasol
Winslow: James Harden/Wilson Chandler
Hezonja: Rex Chapman

Even tho nbadraft has some crazy comparisons at times(DeShawn Stevenson=Michael Jordan), but these seem more realistic than every lottery player being perennial Hall of Famers

crewfan13
06-03-2015, 01:35 PM

Agree. Polished college post player doesn't automatically equate to Tim Duncan. I'll admit that comparing Duncan in college and Okafor in college isn't quite fair. Duncan played 4 years, so you would expect his career numbers to be better than Okafor because of experience. But its also not fair to compare just their freshman numbers, Duncan was pretty raw, and drastically improved from his freshman year to his sophomore season.

But regardless of how you look at things, Duncan did a lot of stuff better than Okafor, even in his raw freshman year. He blocked shots at a significantly higher rate, which would seem to indicate he was a better defender. The fact that he won the NABC DPOY award 3 times also backs that claim up. Duncan shot better from the free throw line (12% better than his worst year and 17% better if you look at his career number) and actually shot a fair amount of threes (while not that great) seem to indicate he had more range than Okafor coming out. Sure, Duncan's dominance in the post was a huge part of his success, but his ability to step out and hit 15 footers and to anchor very good defenses is what really sets him apart. Those are the things that are big question marks on Okafor.

Realistically his college comp numbers look closer to Greg Monroe than Tim Duncan. I think it would be a fair comparison to call him a more polished Greg Monroe than a Tim Duncan clone.

KnicksorBust
06-03-2015, 05:11 PM

Agree. Polished college post player doesn't automatically equate to Tim Duncan. I'll admit that comparing Duncan in college and Okafor in college isn't quite fair. Duncan played 4 years, so you would expect his career numbers to be better than Okafor because of experience. But its also not fair to compare just their freshman numbers, Duncan was pretty raw, and drastically improved from his freshman year to his sophomore season.

But regardless of how you look at things, Duncan did a lot of stuff better than Okafor, even in his raw freshman year. He blocked shots at a significantly higher rate, which would seem to indicate he was a better defender. The fact that he won the NABC DPOY award 3 times also backs that claim up. Duncan shot better from the free throw line (12% better than his worst year and 17% better if you look at his career number) and actually shot a fair amount of threes (while not that great) seem to indicate he had more range than Okafor coming out. Sure, Duncan's dominance in the post was a huge part of his success, but his ability to step out and hit 15 footers and to anchor very good defenses is what really sets him apart. Those are the things that are big question marks on Okafor.

Realistically his college comp numbers look closer to Greg Monroe than Tim Duncan. I think it would be a fair comparison to call him a more polished Greg Monroe than a Tim Duncan clone.

Great post.

KarlKevinMalone
06-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Russell- Manu Ginobili with better handles.
Okafor- Al Jefferson
KAT- Derrick Favors
WCS- Combination of Tyson Chandler and Tristan Thompson
Winslow- peak Rudy Gay

raiderposting
06-04-2015, 12:36 PM
winslow and james harden is the dumbest comparison I've seen in my life