PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's Quadrupple Double in close game of the 03 finals

JasonJohnHorn
05-31-2015, 11:20 PM
I was browsing on Reddit today and I came across a post about Duncans' 03 finals performance. I remember the game. Duncan just destroyed the Nets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejQMtkyLgY

Duncan had 21 points, 20 rebounds, and 10 assists. Also 8 blocks; two shy of a quadruple double. The Redditor says that his last to blocks weren't counted, which seems odd, but quadruple double or not, I think people forget just how dominant Duncan was. He held K-Mart to 3-23 that game. A career .480 shoot going for .130? Holding a guy who took 23 shots to single digits! WTF?

This guy dominated on both ends of the floor at such a high level. I mean, in the 02 playoffs, he was scoring 27+ points and grabbing 14+ boards while chipping in 5 assists and 4.3 blocks! In 02 it was 24 points a game with 15+ boards and 5+ assists while leading the playoffs in blocks. I know Duncan gets a lot of love here, and everybody respect him, but when we talk about the greats of the generation, well... I think people forget just how unprecedented those kind of numbers are and how much he didn't just play great team ball an displayed great fundamentals, but he flat out dominated.

Such a highly skilled player on both ends. I can't think of anybody whose played at that level on both ends of the court this century besides Duncan.

MTar786
05-31-2015, 11:23 PM
duncan is the greast PF of all time for a reason bro!

Raps18-19 Champ
05-31-2015, 11:30 PM
The boxscore guy should be fired.

PowerHouse
06-01-2015, 12:35 AM
If we have a thread about this we might as well make one for Shaq's dominance 2 years earlier game 2 '01 finals when he had 28 points 20 rebounds 9 assists and 8 blocks on 12/19 from the field.

Goose17
06-01-2015, 02:30 AM
I don't understand the reason for a thread of this nature. Nobody had forgotten how dominant Tim was. It was only 10 or so years ago. Not that long.

And quadruple doubles are so rare that even getting close to one is remembered for a long time... no?

Anyway. Duncan is the best PF of all time imo. Although I don't much care for all time lists.

KnicksorBust
06-01-2015, 05:14 AM
I rank him as the 4th best player of all-time. I don't believe he is "forgotten."

xbrackattackx
06-01-2015, 08:42 AM
And he is truly one of the hardest working players and doesn't think he is better than anyone on the team. Pop said he takes his lumps just like the rookies. That humility is what makes him great. Hard workers have great careers.

kdspurman
06-01-2015, 09:27 AM
He was on another level that series/playoff run. I think some of the younger folks don't realize how dominant he was. That's where youtube comes in handy :)

I do remember seeing that they didn't credit his 2 blocks which sucked, but crazy stat line nonetheless. Broke the record for blocked shots in a series, and I think he still holds it till this day. (3 blocks that series was the record, 5.3bpg)

Hawkeye15
06-01-2015, 01:26 PM
That team had minimal business getting through the west. Duncan played at a ridiculous level.

Chronz
06-01-2015, 01:33 PM
That team had minimal business getting through the west. Duncan played at a ridiculous level.
Injuries destroyed their main competitors.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-01-2015, 01:37 PM

I believe that was the year Webber hurt his knee. The Kings were never the same after that.

Hawkeye15
06-01-2015, 02:14 PM

that is very true

PowerHouse
06-01-2015, 03:16 PM
He was on another level that series/playoff run. I think some of the younger folks don't realize how dominant he was. That's where youtube comes in handy :)

I do remember seeing that they didn't credit his 2 blocks which sucked, but crazy stat line nonetheless. Broke the record for blocked shots in a series, and I think he still holds it till this day. (3 blocks that series was the record, 5.3bpg)

Duncan never broke Mutumbo's record, and Mutumbo still holds it now. 38 blocks in a 7 game series, 1994, (5.43 bpg)

http://www.nba.com/history/records/playoffs_series_blockedshots.html

kdspurman
06-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Duncan never broke Mutumbo's record, and Mutumbo still holds it now. 38 blocks in a 7 game series, 1994, (5.43 bpg)

http://www.nba.com/history/records/playoffs_series_blockedshots.html

My bad, it was a finals record of 32 blocks. (6 games).

edit: i wonder how often they update that, Tim would have the record for a 6 game series too, not Marvin Webster (unless it excludes finals for some weird reason)

PowerHouse
06-01-2015, 03:41 PM
My bad, it was a finals record of 32 blocks. (6 games).

edit: i wonder how often they update that, Tim would have the record for a 6 game series too, not Marvin Webster (unless it excludes finals for some weird reason)

Yea I dont get that either. Duncan does have the 2nd most ever in a playoff series.

Chronz
06-01-2015, 04:30 PM
I believe that was the year Webber hurt his knee. The Kings were never the same after that.

webber, dirk, lakers supporting cast, even mutombo iirc

Teeboy1487
06-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Still crying about that year. If only Horry hit that shot.

kdspurman
06-01-2015, 04:47 PM
webber, dirk, lakers supporting cast, even mutombo iirc

there's always some factors like this involved like every year. he dominated though nonetheless

Chronz
06-01-2015, 10:26 PM
there's always some factors like this involved like every year. he dominated though nonetheless

Not many years quite like that tho.

JustinTime
06-01-2015, 11:09 PM
someone with a lot of time go rewatch that game and count the blocks.

kdspurman
06-02-2015, 08:17 AM

You think? I don't think it was anymore than what we've seen the last few years.

JasonJohnHorn
06-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't understand the reason for a thread of this nature. Nobody had forgotten how dominant Tim was. It was only 10 or so years ago. Not that long.

And quadruple doubles are so rare that even getting close to one is remembered for a long time... no?

Anyway. Duncan is the best PF of all time imo. Although I don't much care for all time lists.

Give that that finals got the lowest ratings for a finals in the ten years prior, not a lot of fans actually saw the games. The finals have over 10 million views the year before, and less than 7 million that year. The next season they were back up over 10 million. Plus it was over 10 years ago.

JasonJohnHorn
06-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Every year is like that.

This year KD was out causing the Thunder to miss the playoffs altogether, John Wall got hurt, Love's hurt, Kyrie is hurt, the Hawks were missing three key rotation players. The Rockets were also missing key rotation players.

Rose missed the last three years. That is an MVP out every season for the last three years.

That year Duncan went against Shaq, who averaged 25 points and 14 boards, and Kobe was in his prime and both were healthy. Other then George missing a game, the Lakers were healthy that year. And the Spurs beat a healthy Suns team in the first round with a healthy Amare and Marion and Marbury. And the Net had no injuries and had a all their players pretty much in their prime.

They played one team that say a key guy get injrued: Dirk.

That is not an excessive number of injuries that 'helped' them by any stretch of the imagination. That is one. Which is far less than benefited the Heat on each of their runs, or the Cavs this year.

The Spurs didn't get a significant amount of help from injuries that year. Duncan was dominant.

Chronz
06-02-2015, 01:40 PM
You think? I don't think it was anymore than what we've seen the last few years.
Heavens no. Were talking about every single one of the main competitors losing integral pieces. Breakdown the level of production lost and I'm sure it surpasses any recent event.

Chronz
06-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Every year is like that.

This year KD was out causing the Thunder to miss the playoffs altogether, John Wall got hurt, Love's hurt, Kyrie is hurt, the Hawks were missing three key rotation players. The Rockets were also missing key rotation players.

Rose missed the last three years. That is an MVP out every season for the last three years.

That year Duncan went against Shaq, who averaged 25 points and 14 boards, and Kobe was in his prime and both were healthy. Other then George missing a game, the Lakers were healthy that year. And the Spurs beat a healthy Suns team in the first round with a healthy Amare and Marion and Marbury. And the Net had no injuries and had a all their players pretty much in their prime.

They played one team that say a key guy get injrued: Dirk.

That is not an excessive number of injuries that 'helped' them by any stretch of the imagination. That is one. Which is far less than benefited the Heat on each of their runs, or the Cavs this year.

The Spurs didn't get a significant amount of help from injuries that year. Duncan was dominant.
Haha i don't consider a sub 50 win eastern team losing their best player to be of the same consequence as a legitimate contender losing their best and in that era it was pretty much all of them.

You may not remember but the lakers weren't healthy. Shaq was recovering from a career altering injury, fox was out and Kobe was injured in the tw olves series.
I'm fairly certain deke was hurt and couldn't play, cwebb went down. That era didn't have to many contenders so their loss was really important.

Not seeing why you're mentioning the suns when they weren't of consequence.

But yes, this year has been similarly disappointing in terms of health.

kdspurman
06-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Haha i don't consider a sub 50 win eastern team losing their best player to be of the same consequence as a legitimate contender losing their best and in that era it was pretty much all of them.

You may not remember but the lakers weren't healthy. Shaq was recovering from a career altering injury, fox was out and Kobe was injured in the tw olves series.
I'm fairly certain deke was hurt and couldn't play, cwebb went down. That era didn't have to many contenders so their loss was really important.

Deke did play in the finals. Less mins, but he did play.

Shaq was recovering from an injury but still put up 28.7/15 against the wolves in 42mpg and 25/14 in nearly 40mpg against the Spurs. & Kobe (idk how serious his injury was) put up 31ppg in 45mpg against the wolves and 32ppg in 43 mins against the Spurs.

Injuries happen like that. The whole cwebb/dirk thing, well he was only going to be matched up against 1 of them anyway. (since they played eachother in the 2nd round) Don't know if either would have been able to slow him down. Nevertheless, what TD did was dominant, as he did it with little consistent support from a 2nd option many nights.

JasonJohnHorn
06-02-2015, 07:08 PM

Shaq was healthy. He played like a beast. He posted 25+ and 14+ that series. Just because he missed some games in the regular season doesn't mean he wasn't beasting in the playoffs.

I just don't see the point of bringing up injuries to other teams when you are talking about how dominant Duncan was that year and that series. Nobody says: Well... Curry playing well, but John Wall, Kevin Durant, and half the Rockets and Hawks are injured, so... meh. Whatever.

flea
06-05-2015, 01:16 AM
One of the 5 most impressive postseason runs ever easily. The Spurs were a lottery team without him, they were champions with him. IMO it is the most impressive. A 31 year old defense-only player who basically didn't play in the NBA for the vast majority of his athletic prime was the 2nd best player on a championship team.

Interesting note for box score watchers, as far as I know Duncan's run in 03 was the only time a player has led his championship-winning team in points, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, assists, and blocks.

Others of note:
-Lebron led his team in points, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, assists, and steals in '12.
-Hakeem led his team in points, defensive rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks in '94.