PDA

View Full Version : Source: Good chance Knicks take Trey Lyles in upcoming draft

spreadeagle
05-31-2015, 05:34 PM
Leading up to the NBA Draft, teams leak various bits of information about prospects they may or may not be interested in — some of it is true, and some of it is simply meant to create leverage in potential trade scenarios.

If the latest report is to be believed, which says the Knicks have their eyes on Trey Lyles, it would appear to be the type of tidbit meant to create some trade opportunities.

From Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:

While Towns and Willie Cauley-Stein have garnered the most attention, the Knicks for months have been enamored with Trey Lyles, according to a team source. Lyles is a 6-foot-10 forward out of Indianapolis who Phil Jackson sees as a good fit for the triangle offense.

Would the Knicks select Lyles with the fourth overall pick? Crazier things have happened and if Jackson truly believes Lyles, the 2014 Indiana Mr. Basketball who was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and has played internationally for the U.S. and Canada, is worth it, perhaps he’ll make the move. A more plausible scenario would be for the Knicks to trade down, since most draft experts don’t see him as a top 10 pick.

But if things go as they’re currently being projected, the Knicks would potentially have a difficult decision to make.

They wouldn’t need to use the fourth overall pick on Lyles if that’s who they truly want; trading down to get additional assets along with Lyles would make the most sense. But Phil Jackson is unproven in being responsible for making draft day decisions, so it’ll be very interesting to see if he can make the right maneuvers to get the player he wants — and do it in the most intelligent way possible.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/31/report-knicks-could-select-trey-lyles-with-fourth-overall-pick-in-nba-draft/

KnicksorBust
05-31-2015, 05:48 PM
Knicks forum.

#crazayformudiay

Blitzace137
05-31-2015, 05:58 PM
All a smoke screen. Isola is a Knicks troll.

hovyboo
05-31-2015, 06:00 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/31/report-knicks-could-select-trey-lyles-with-fourth-overall-pick-in-nba-draft/

Blockbuster 3 way trade:

Den gets: 4th pick, Felton's expiring, Early, Future Dallas 1st rounder (2019?), 2 2nd rounders NY got from Shumpert deal

Dal gets: Ty Lawson, Calderon

NY gets: 7th pick (Denver), 21st pick (Dallas), Wilson Chandler

Denver sheds about 15 mill in cap while adding a young potentially franchise altering PG
Dallas gets their PG situation resolved
NY gets 2 pieces (Lyles and whoever else Phil likes in draft for triangle) and we get Chandler on an expiring while opening ANOTHER 2 mill in cap. We would go into free agency with a shade under 30 million in cap space.

Get it done Phil!

lamzoka
05-31-2015, 07:02 PM
Blockbuster 3 way trade:

Den gets: 4th pick, Felton's expiring, Early, Future Dallas 1st rounder (2019?), 2 2nd rounders NY got from Shumpert deal

Denver sheds about 15 mill in cap while adding a young potentially franchise altering PG
NY gets 2 pieces (Lyles and whoever else Phil likes in draft for triangle) and we get Chandler on an expiring while opening ANOTHER 2 mill in cap. We would go into free agency with a shade under 30 million in cap space.

Get it done Phil!

Knicks won this trade by a mile. 21st pick and Wilson Chandler plus 2 millions in Cap Space while only moving down 3 spots in the draft. I'd take it.

likemystylez
05-31-2015, 07:08 PM
why is this stuff in the main forum? LOL Knicks suck and nobody they draft will change that. We are awaiting an amazing NBA finals- lol threads should have to do with topical subjects

Teeboy1487
05-31-2015, 07:19 PM
Very underrated, but he is a reach at 4. Knicks should go Mudiay imo.

lamzoka
05-31-2015, 07:24 PM
why is this stuff in the main forum? LOL Knicks suck and nobody they draft will change that. We are awaiting an amazing NBA finals- lol threads should have to do with topical subjects

Then why dont you just start a thread about the finals and stop bÌtching

tp13baby
05-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Blockbuster 3 way trade:

Get it done Phil!

So pretty much Denver is trading Ty Chandler and the 7th to move up 3 places? How does that make sense at all? I mean seriously. Ty Lawson really underrated right here...

hovyboo
05-31-2015, 07:59 PM
So pretty much Denver is trading Ty Chandler and the 7th to move up 3 places? How does that make sense at all? I mean seriously. Ty Lawson really underrated right here...

Den also clears 15 million in cap, gets a future 1st, 2 future 2nds. Considering in they are going nowhere fast this seems ok....

allSUAVE
05-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Omg please NO!!!

JNA17
05-31-2015, 08:51 PM
That makes absolutely zero sense unless they are planning to trade down their pick.

Which wouldn't be the worst idea for the Knicks. Mudiay is gonna be a huge bust like Exum, especially him trying to play in the triangle offense. And they might not be high on Winslow either (even though I like him a lot).

No way they use their 4th pick on Lyles though. That is a ludicrous idea.

JustinTime
05-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Lyles is extremely underrated so it wouldn't surprise me if real basketball people had higher opinions of him than these guys that create mock draft. He was considered to be a top 4 prospect this year coming in but made the mistake of choosing Kentucky where he couldn't showcase himself. Even at Kentucky in the final four he was the guy they'd always rely on when they needed a big shot not Towns. Also, he was playing SF at Kentucky when he's more of a PF.

TheNumber37
05-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Blockbuster 3 way trade:

Get it done Phil!

Win for Knicks. But The Mavs just traded Calderon to the Knicks, why would they want him back a year later

nycericanguy
05-31-2015, 09:58 PM
Well #1 it doesn't say that there is a "good chance" that they take him, just that they like him as I'm sure many teams do.

and #2, I'm pretty sure no teams have made any decisions without yet, you know, actually working the players out first?

This is just NY media trying to cause a stir.

xxplayerxx23
05-31-2015, 10:04 PM
Exum is a bust at 19 years old :laugh: mudiay will not be a bust, one of the top 4 prospects or trade down no rseaon to pick him at 4

Stunner
06-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Jennings and 8 / 2nd rounder for Calderon and 4

nycericanguy
06-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Jennings and 8 / 2nd rounder for Calderon and 4

I don't think there's much of a market for Jennings coming off a serious injury and with few teams needing a PG.

I would probably take him as a salary dump in NY, but he's def not moving you into top 4 draft when there is a huge drop off after #4.

2-ONE-5
06-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Lyles is extremely underrated so it wouldn't surprise me if real basketball people had higher opinions of him than these guys that create mock draft. He was considered to be a top 4 prospect this year coming in but made the mistake of choosing Kentucky where he couldn't showcase himself. Even at Kentucky in the final four he was the guy they'd always rely on when they needed a big shot not Towns. Also, he was playing SF at Kentucky when he's more of a PF.

Lyles was 6th in his class not 4th

Stunner
06-01-2015, 12:31 PM
I don't think there's much of a market for Jennings coming off a serious injury and with few teams needing a PG.

I would probably take him as a salary dump in NY, but he's def not moving you into top 4 draft when there is a huge drop off after #4.

Well if NY wants Lyles taking him at 4 is way too high so it doesn't matter what the drop off is . Why not get a PG like Jennings that feels a need and get the player you want at 8 . Knicks shed Calderons salary and get Jennings who will be on a prove it contract seeing it's an expiring. . Knicks could also use the 2nd rounder seeing they don't have one

Also Jennings should be good to go by the time the season starts , he got his surgery done in Jan and it's suppose to be a 6-9 month thing . The season starts OCT 27th

nycericanguy
06-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Well if NY wants Lyles taking him at 4 is way too high so it doesn't matter what the drop off is . Why not get a PG like Jennings that feels a need and get the player you want at 8 . Knicks shed Calderons salary and get Jennings who will be on a prove it contract seeing it's an expiring. .

Also Jennings should be good to go by the time the season starts , he got his surgery done in Jan and it's suppose to be a 6-9 month thing . The season starts OCT 27th

I seriously doubt Lyles is #1 on NY's draft board... just the NY media being the NY media... I'm sure Phil likes a lot of players.

And I also think JC can be a valuable piece next year, not sure just dumping him is a good idea. If NY drafts Mudiay, JC would be a nice fit alongside him.

Stunner
06-01-2015, 12:41 PM
I personally think Mudiay not going to live up to the hype , him playing in a league where Marbury and Beasley dominating doesn't impress me . He seems like a risky pick for the Knicks , a lot is riding on this to be a good pick .

And I don't agree him and JC can play together because his jumpshot isn't good at all unless you just want him to be strictly a slasher at the SG spot . Maybe I'm just miss understanding

Stunner
06-01-2015, 12:46 PM
If you’re like me you’ve tried to find out everything there is to know about any player the Sixers could potentially select at No. 3 in the upcoming NBA draft.

One of those players is Emmanuel Mudiay. During my research of the 6-5 point guard, I learned quite a bit about his incredible journey from Congo to Arlington, Texas, his time spent at the now defunct Prime Prep Academy and his decision to forgo college to play professionally in China. Mudiay’s story is indeed fantastic and worth checking out for yourself.

However, more important is the unrelated discovery I made during my digital scouting trip to the Chinese Basketball Association. Here it is, brace yourself: No one in China is playing any defense.

Let me start by saying that this shocking revelation came to me purely by accident. Shortly into my original quest, I learned that Mudiay had averaged 18 points, 6.2 rebounds and 5.9 assists in his 12 games off the bench for Guangdong Southern of the Chinese Basketball Association before a season-ending injury. These are very impressive numbers for a 19-year-old playing in a professional basketball league. So, naturally, I began to fantasize about the beautiful lobs Mudiay would toss to Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid as the Sixers marched to a 73-9 season in 2018 capped by a spectacular ceremony in which my new favorite player hoisted the Larry O’Brien trophy high into the air at the Wells Fargo Center as the defeated New Orleans Pelicans sulked into the locker room, totally demoralized by the awe-inspiring play of the NBA’s undisputed best point guard.

However, not wanting to get too far ahead of myself, I decided to watch some highlights to get a feel for Mudiay’s game. I was stunned at what I saw. I thought to myself “this dude is blowing past defenders as if they’re standing still.” But, upon closer examination, I realized those defenders were pretty much just standing still. I grew concerned.

I clicked around to find some more CBA highlights. After watching a highlight of J.R. Smith going off for 52 points in 2011 during his time spent in China, my interest was piqued even further. It almost seemed as if the CBA might have strict rules against defensive rotation. (I Googled it, there is no such rule.) After watching several more minutes of highlights I determined that there must be contract incentives that involve not blocking shots for any player over 6-8. I began to wonder if Mudiay’s impressive stat line was a bit misleading. I decided to check out the 2014-15 seasons statistics for the CBA.

The plot thickens.

The first name that caught my eye on the CBA scoring leader boards was Von Wafer, a former NBA player known mostly for his incredibly cool sounding name. Von Wafer averaged 32.5 points per game for the Shanxi Zhongyu Brave Dragons in 2014-15 while shooting 52.5 percent from the floor. To put that in perspective, Von Wafer averaged 10 points per game in his two years of NCAA basketball at Florida State and five points per game in his six years in the NBA. Von Wafer finished fourth in scoring in the Chinese Basketball Association.

Right now you might be saying to yourself, “So what? A former NBA second-round pick is tearing up the Chinese Basketball Association, that’s not terribly surprising.”

Well, bear with me. Just ahead of Wafer on the scoring leaders chart is former first-round pick Domonique Jones, who averaged an insane 36.8 points, 7.8 rebounds and 8.4 assists per game. Yes, 36.8 ppg was good enough for third best in the CBA this year. In second place was former Oklahoma Sooner Willie Warren, who scored 38.9 ppg while shooting an unthinkable 60.6 percent from the floor as a guard. Willie Warren scored 50 points -- wait for it -- nine times in 34 games. He also added two games with 49 points. Willie Warren averaged only 10.6 ppg last year while playing in Italy’s premier basketball league, Lega A.

So who lead the CBA in scoring this year you might ask? It was none other than proud Goshen College alum Errick McCollum (brother of C.J.), who averaged 39.6 points per game over 38 games for the Zhejiang Chouzhou Golden Bulls. McCollum went undrafted in 2011, but did manage to score 1.3 ppg in the Las Vegas Summer League last year. A few months later, he set the CBA record with 82 points in a game. In America, Errick McCollum is just “some guy." In China, Erick McCollum is “the ****.”

Do you want me to keep going? (I’m going to anyway because it’s making me chuckle.) Ten different guys averaged over 30 points per game in 2014-15, including Andray Blatche. Eight different teams shot over 50 percent from the field on the season. An 83-year-old man named Tao Zhang averaged 7.4 points per game. OK, I made up that last one but you almost believed it right?

In conclusion, it’s going to be hard for NBA front offices to evaluate Mudiay statistically in comparison to NCAA prospects or international players that play in leagues where defense is encouraged.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/want-sixers-draft-mudiay-his-cba-stats-may-be-misleading

JustinTime
06-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Lyles was 6th in his class not 4th

I was talking about in the mocks draft express had him going 4th overall ahead of Towns a year and a bit ago. He was stupid to choose Kentucky and it killed his stock.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/11/05/2913529_2014-recruit-lyles-picks-kentucky.html?rh=1

2-ONE-5
06-01-2015, 01:47 PM
mocks dont count for anything its just a guess. Lyles at 4 would prob be the same kind of reach as when the Cavs took Waiters 4

nycericanguy
06-01-2015, 02:32 PM
I personally think Mudiay not going to live up to the hype , him playing in a league where Marbury and Beasley dominating doesn't impress me . He seems like a risky pick for the Knicks , a lot is riding on this to be a good pick .

And I don't agree him and JC can play together because his jumpshot isn't good at all unless you just want him to be strictly a slasher at the SG spot . Maybe I'm just miss understanding

JC can make up for Mudiay's lack of shooting. And Mudiay shot 34% from 3 in CBA, not great, but consider that CBA 3 is NBA distance, unlike college 3 ball that is 2 feet or so closer. 34% from 3 for an 18 year old isn't bad at all.

but Yes Mudiay mostly slashing scorer, and ease him into PG with JC there alongside him to take pressure off him. And Mudiay takes pressure off JC on defense by guarding the better player. Mudiay is big enough to guard 2's and quick enough to guard 1's.

Actually is a great complement to each other if you ask me.

nycericanguy
06-01-2015, 02:34 PM
http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-level/want-sixers-draft-mudiay-his-cba-stats-may-be-misleading

I don't think anyone is drafting Mudaiy based on his CBA PPG... if that were the case there would be alot more CBA players drafted. They are drafting based on his skillset and body type. Jennings went overseas and averaged 5 & 2 and was still taken in the lottery.

lol, please
06-01-2015, 05:21 PM
That's what they said about Curry.

:laugh2:

FriedTofuz
06-01-2015, 07:47 PM
why is this NBA forum news? :laugh2:

RLundi
06-01-2015, 08:29 PM
It'll be awhile for Mudiay provides return on the investment. He's pretty raw. It'll set the Knicks back a couple of years to draft him. If only Russell fell to them, it'd be perfect, but I think they're better served taking Hezonja or Winslow with the fourth if they are serious about being a winning team next season.

Scoots
06-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Then why dont you just start a thread about the finals and stop bÌtching

He doesn't know how to stop *****ing. Read a sampling of his posts.

KnicksorBust
06-02-2015, 01:17 PM
null

Exactly. My fear is that Phil Jackson is going to outsmart himself. He actually has an asset and he is going to want to prove his genius when really the smartest move is just drafting Russell or Mudiay whoever slips.

LakerShow
06-02-2015, 01:31 PM
They should pick mud. Imo he has a chance to be like oladipo. But very good at attacking the rim.

NYKnickFanatic
06-02-2015, 01:43 PM
why is this NBA forum news? :laugh2:

lol beats me.

Stunner
06-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Knicks should honestly go Winslow / Stein / Mudiay / Lyles (trade down )

Mudiay has a lot of work ahead of him and does Melo really want to wait that long for such a raw PG ? Knicks need defensive help mostly

JNA17
06-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Mudiay is now projected 6 and Winslow projected at 4.

Even Draft Express is finally catching on the Mudiay bust train. I think Winslow is going to be really good and would be a great pick for the Knicks. The guy has a ridiculous motor and is built like a boxer. He's also a good two way player. Reminds me of Jimmy Butler.

The only problem with Winslow is his dribbling. It's really bad. But hopefully he can work on that.

Legitimate
06-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Lyles is from my home town, saskatoon sk, definetly will be watching knick games if they draft him :)

NYJ - NYY
06-03-2015, 09:22 AM
I hope we draft Winslow. Great nba body and motor.

Stunner
06-03-2015, 10:35 AM
@basketballtalk: Kristaps Porzingis says he hopes to be drafted by Knicks http://t.co/FdcxTIGlib