PDA

View Full Version : Alvin Gentry To N.O

Dade County
05-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Golden State Warriors associate head coach Alvin Gentry has been chosen as the new coach of the New Orleans Pelicans, according to league sources.

Gentry and the Pelicans agreed to a deal Saturday, with New Orleans choosing the former Pistons, Heat and Suns head coach over fellow finalist Jeff Van Gundy, an ESPN analyst.

ESPN sources say Gentry will finish out the playoffs with the Warriors before taking over as coach of Anthony Davis and the Pelicans.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12983016/alvin-gentry-named-new-orleans-pelicans-head-coach

Thoughts?

JeffG20
05-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Disappointed with the hire given the other options. I'll keep an open mind and hope he can put a great staff together but I'd be lying if I'm not a little miffed at this hire.

Allphakenny1
05-30-2015, 08:21 PM
As a Warriors fan it sucks to see him go. I hope Kerr soaked up as much knowledge from him as possible and I am sure the team will hire an experienced replacement for Gentry. I am not worried, but after such a great season for the Warriors, I do not want much to change.

bgdreton
05-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Great hire look at what he has done to help our offense. I'm sure he has learned a couple tricks defensively from Adams as well. Clap Clap! Super hire.

Sadds The Gr8
05-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Disappointed with the hire given the other options. I'll keep an open mind and hope he can put a great staff together but I'd be lying if I'm not a little miffed at this hire.
Really? He's very highly regarded.

JeffG20
05-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Really? He's very highly regarded.

Yea, I know. Just not sure if he's head coach material. Don't get me wrong, had a few concerns with the other guys as well (Thibs, JVG).

Just kind of feel we needed a proven commodity. Like I said, want to see what the staff looks like and who he brings on as assistants.

tp13baby
05-30-2015, 08:41 PM
This hiring wraps up denvers situation. Melvin Hunt will be the head coach of Denver.

Great hire. My favorite out of the available replacements for Shaw.

5ass
05-30-2015, 08:53 PM
I always liked gentry. I think he would've fit in well for the magic in terms of style, but he's more suited for a veteran team. Good hire.

IBleedPurple
05-30-2015, 10:58 PM
Damn. Wanted him in Denver, but good for him.

JeffG20
05-31-2015, 01:40 AM
Players seem to be on board

Eric Gordon ?@TheofficialEG10

Proud of the strides our team took this season. Looking forward to working with @AlvinGentry and continuing to build a winner here in NOLA!

On that note Eric Gordon has completely turned the corner attitude wise over the last year or 2.

mgjohnson7851
05-31-2015, 04:21 AM
Man the guy can not be a head coach. How many opportunities is he going to get? He's had 4 winning seasons in twelve years as a head coach.

He's basically the Norv Turner of the NBA... great assistant, but subpar head coach.

Goose17
05-31-2015, 06:04 AM
Davis in a Gentry offense should be fun to watch.

I think it's bad sportsmanship to hire the guy right before the finals personally. Should have waited until the offseason.

Brian Shaw is the leading candidate to replace him. Not sure how I feel about that. He's very old school, lots of post ups and slow half court offense. Not entirely sure how that will translate to the Warriors but hopefully he can get on board with Kerrs fast paced spurs-esque motion offense with a little triangle thrown in.

Sucks to see Gentry leave. Nobody is turning down that money and the chance to coach Davis though. Nobody.

Munkeysuit
05-31-2015, 06:25 AM
I myself was an Alvin Gentry fan during his stint in Phoenix, I am super happy for him and as a basketball fan, excited to see how much he will improve NO's offensive strategies. I am not so excited about the timing however, lol I mean doesn't he need to focus on the Finals?

Shady66
05-31-2015, 10:31 AM
Good luck gentry! I'm sure with all their pieces he will make it work offensively.

Scoots
05-31-2015, 11:52 AM
I will miss him in Oakland. I think he can be a great head coach, but he needs an opposite assistant ... I think he's a little too nice.

Chrollo
05-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Gentry is a decent coach but they'll need a bit of a roster change to suit his system.

thephoenixson28
05-31-2015, 02:56 PM
I was pissed when phoenix fired him.

Saddletramp
05-31-2015, 03:05 PM
I think it's bad sportsmanship to hire the guy right before the finals personally. Should have waited until the offseason.

Last year, the Rockets defense really stepped it up with Kelvin Sampson as the defensive coach. Right before the end of the year, he was hired at a college (UofH?) and the defense took a hit. That might have cost them the Portland series but regardless, it sucked. I know a few weeks before the end of the season on a mid-seed isn't quite on the level as the WC champs the week before the Finals, but this sorta stuff happens.

At least Gentry is finishing out this year.

JasonJohnHorn
05-31-2015, 11:42 PM
This is FAWKING stupid. Gentry seems like a nice guy, and a great assistant, but why on earth would you fire a coach that has helped his team improve every year since CP3 left for a guy with a sub-500 record.

I get that Gentry has taken $#!T jobs to get experience, but teams actually get better when he leaves in most instances.

The Pelicans have Anthony Davis, who is pretty much Tim Duncan Jr. EVERY AVAILABLE COACH wants to coach this guy. With Thibs, a defensive minded coach, available, it is clear that he was the perfect option. And Gentry would have been great to have on the staff, but...

GRRR.... this is like selling a used car with high mileage for an older car with more mileage.

They should be upgrading at coach, not making a lateral or potential backward move.

I wish Gentry the best, and I hope he makes me look like an idiot. Honestly, but on paper this looks beyond silly.

tredigs
05-31-2015, 11:55 PM
This is FAWKING stupid. Gentry seems like a nice guy, and a great assistant, but why on earth would you fire a coach that has helped his team improve every year since CP3 left for a guy with a sub-500 record.

I get that Gentry has taken $#!T jobs to get experience, but teams actually get better when he leaves in most instances.

The Pelicans have Anthony Davis, who is pretty much Tim Duncan Jr. EVERY AVAILABLE COACH wants to coach this guy. With Thibs, a defensive minded coach, available, it is clear that he was the perfect option. And Gentry would have been great to have on the staff, but...

GRRR.... this is like selling a used car with high mileage for an older car with more mileage.

They should be upgrading at coach, not making a lateral or potential backward move.

I wish Gentry the best, and I hope he makes me look like an idiot. Honestly, but on paper this looks beyond silly.

They started at 21 wins and drafted the best young big man of this generation. A talking goat could have coached that team to more wins each season.

Monty is a terrible coach. They upgraded. That said, a solid defensive assistant coach is definitely in order, because that is not Gentry's specialty.

JeffG20
06-01-2015, 12:16 AM

For the record I don't see this as a significant upgrade but I think there will be a noticeable difference. Our GM Demps and Monty seemed to have far different philosophies on how this team should be playing. Monty had us playing at one of the slowest paces in the NBA and our players fit more into up tempo pace. I get what monty was doing but it just didn't work overall.

We may not get any farther with gentry but Monty was not taking us anywhere either. Get some good assistants in there and I think we'll be just fine.

kingsdelez24
06-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Players seem to be on board

Eric Gordon ?@TheofficialEG10

Proud of the strides our team took this season. Looking forward to working with @AlvinGentry and continuing to build a winner here in NOLA!

On that note Eric Gordon has completely turned the corner attitude wise over the last year or 2.

Probably because he gets to play with the coach he wanted to sign with

LA_Raiders
06-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Great sign, too bad for van gundy, I want to see what he can do.

leftie5
06-01-2015, 12:39 AM
Players will love playing for him. There may be a couple roster tweaks, but he will put together a solid staff. Anthony Davis is going to be even more of a problem in an uptempo offense.

lol, please
06-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Thoughts?

My thoughts when I saw this post, then your sig and avi, are, I am pround of you for not becoming a "cavaliers" fan when LeChoke jumped ship for the umpteenth time. Well done.

As far as the Gentry news, I applaud this hire, though I will miss watching Monty squirm in front of the media trying to explain playoff losses. I wanted more of that next year.

Scoots
06-01-2015, 09:36 PM
It comes down to his assistants. Gentry is a really smart, really good dude ... he needs a guy to be a heavy.

MonroeFAN
06-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that this guy is basically mike d jr?

mgjohnson7851
06-02-2015, 04:22 AM
My thoughts when I saw this post, then your sig and avi, are, I am pround of you for not becoming a "cavaliers" fan when LeChoke jumped ship for the umpteenth time. Well done.

As far as the Gentry news, I applaud this hire, though I will miss watching Monty squirm in front of the media trying to explain playoff losses. I wanted more of that next year.
You really do hate LeBron for the stupidest reasons lol. It's sad really.

Scoots
06-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Gentry has hired Erman as assistant head coach. Good move.

Clippersfan86
06-02-2015, 02:30 PM
People hating on this are blind. Gentry just turned the Warriors into the 2nd best offense, they were 12th prior year. Sure the players and Kerr deserve some of that, but we know Gentry was the offensive guru. Then in his year with the Clippers two seasons ago he took the Clippers from 3rd to 1st (doesn't sound like much, but was very noticeable). The Clippers were an iso based team with only one option most plays under Vinny and became a high movement, elite ball sharing, multiple option offense thanks to Gentry.

He also was an underrated coach for us over a decade ago and improved Phoenix's already Godly offense few years back to help them to the WCF. Now that he's wining respected assistant coaches, people should fear this team.

They have arguably the most offensive talent in the LEAGUE when healthy. 4 or 5 guys who can score 20 any night. Then you factor in that under Monty they played at near league worst pace every year and it's scary. Now with say a top 5 pace and all that firepower... this team is a legit contender. I won't be surprised if they are a top 3 seed this year TBH.

Eric Gordon is finally back to playing efficient ball and if he can stay healthy watch out under Gentry. I'm genuinely considering jumping ship to become a Pelicans fan just because of how young, exciting and filled with potential they are. Now that the Clippers have become a treadmill team that's painful to watch I very well may split my time between these two teams.

Clippersfan86
06-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Holiday/Evans/Gordon/Davis in an uptempo system will be insane. Gentry got the job because he sold the management on a more uptempo system that features way more Anthony Davis. For last two years we've all said Davis doesn't get the ball enough.

Clippersfan86
06-02-2015, 02:33 PM
http://trove.com/a/Warriors-Stephen-Curry-Klay-Thompson-not-excited-to-face-Pelicans-coach-Alvin-Gentry.ma8YR?utm_campaign=hosted&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=sns&chid=CB2BB1C8EA73933BE040DA0ACC556B44

Curry and Klay not looking forward to playing against Gentry for years to come.

Saddletramp
06-02-2015, 04:57 PM
I guess games in New Orleans won't be "practice" any more.

lol, please
06-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Just stop. The inferior team in the Pelicans won a scrimmage, can we move on?

Goose17
06-04-2015, 03:36 AM

I guess we still "ain't that good"

Saddletramp
06-04-2015, 04:24 AM
Just stop. The inferior team in the Pelicans won a scrimmage, can we move on?

It was an actual game.

I guess we still "ain't that good"

Telling your team mates that your opponent isn't that good and that you can beat them is a little bit different from saying another team will just be practice. (But yes, your's was a better reply than lol's and I see what you mean).

KarlKevinMalone
06-04-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm just glad we're assured maximum awkwardness for the Finals broadcast booth: Jackson and his obvious history with the Warriors and now JVG after losing the job to Gentry.

lol, please
06-04-2015, 12:01 PM
It shouldn't be that awkward, the players have love for jackson and he has love for them. He is a part of the success also. It will be fun. Still not as good as fitz though. :love: