PDA

View Full Version : Does this seem like an excessive delay between the Conf. Finals an the NBA Finals?

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2015, 10:20 PM
When I was a kid, it always seemed like the finals pretty much started two or three days after the completion of the conference finals. I looked back to see if my memory was messed up, and in 1990, when the Pistons wrapped up their conference finals match with the Bulls, on June 3rd, they were playing the Trailblazers two nights later on the 5th.

But even in 2004, when the Pistons polished off Pacers on June 1st, they ramped up the finals less than five days later on the 6th.

This year, the Warriors wrapped up their finals match on May 27th, and they won't start the finals until June 4th. EIGHT DAYS LATER.

With Thompson getting a concussion and Irving hobbling around with a bum leg, it will likely give both guys time to heal so that fans can see a full range of talent playing, but that said, I've grown up watching guys go into a series two nights after finishing one, with the battle scars still fresh.

Do you guys like this delay? Or would you prefer the finals a couple nights after the conference finals are complete?

bleedprple&gold
05-29-2015, 10:25 PM
It just seems like such a long delay because the start of the finals is a set date and the conference finals matchups ended so quickly. If conference finals went longer it wouldn't have been an excessive delay.

goingfor28
05-29-2015, 10:27 PM
Delay sucks but changing the schedule around would definitely mess up some people's plans who bought tickets for a specific night. So it makes sense to keep it.

KnicksorBust
05-29-2015, 10:29 PM
My first reaction was surprise but if it helps get Kyrie and Klay healthy then it's all worth it.

IndyRealist
05-29-2015, 10:35 PM
It just seems like such a long delay because the start of the finals is a set date and the conference finals matchups ended so quickly. If conference finals went longer it wouldn't have been an excessive delay.

This. The Conference Finals could have gone another 4 days.

What I find odd is that they are starting the Finals on a Thursday, so game 7 would end up on a Tuesday. Of course, it's more likely the Finals end in 5 or 6 games, which would be Friday or Sunday respectively. I guess that's what they're shooting for.

mike_noodles
05-29-2015, 10:48 PM
But why set the date in stone? Make it a fluid date based on the completion of the conference finals. 8 days is silly.

bucketss
05-29-2015, 11:03 PM
But why set the date in stone? Make it a fluid date based on the completion of the conference finals. 8 days is silly.

i read somwhere they were thinking of moving up to june 2 if gsw swept.

5ass
05-29-2015, 11:15 PM
I want to see both teams as healthy as possible. Finals only come around once a year.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2015, 11:15 PM
really? The finals start date was set well before either series started. Just so happened that both series were a joke.

Rest is probably welcomed by both teams...

AllBall
05-30-2015, 12:04 AM
really? The finals start date was set well before either series started. Just so happened that both series were a joke.

Rest is probably welcomed by both teams...

Exactly. Why would you penalize the teams for doing a good job and taking care of business quickly?

Oh, you swept? Bad team! Now less rest for you! lol

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2015, 12:26 AM
Delay sucks but changing the schedule around would definitely mess up some people's plans who bought tickets for a specific night. So it makes sense to keep it.

If you are buying tickets for your team's finals appearance before they've even got there, then you are asking for trouble.

I think this is more about the TV schedule than fans buying tickets. But I get what you mean.

slaker619
05-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Its not that crazy

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2015, 12:28 AM

I feel the same way. I do like the idea of guys getting to rest, but EIGHT DAYS!!! I'm going to forget that the season is still going on!

KG2TB
05-30-2015, 12:30 AM
8 days is too long no matter how you slice it. it can be improved, no doubt about it.

Yanks All Day
05-30-2015, 10:02 AM
I don't mind it at all for this year, because it makes for a better Finals. If the Finals started on June 1 or 2, there's a chance the Warriors wouldn't have Klay Thompson for 1 or 2 games and Kyrie Irving wouldn't be at full strength. This year, it all happened to work out perfectly for two teams that need their stars to get healthy.

BKLYNpigeon
05-30-2015, 10:42 AM

Theres a lot of planning that is involved.

- TV network who's paying billions of dollars for the games has a schedule to follow.
- Arenas have their own schedule and the space might be booked.
- You need to sell tickets in advance, so people can make travel plans.
- The ABC/ESPN TV production team are going back and forth to film everything.
- Hard to find a Hotels for 50 people for the away team last minute.

Scoots
05-30-2015, 01:29 PM
You can't argue the logistics ... those team's arenas/hotels would all be in use if their teams were still playing in the conference finals.

It's the TV contract.

bleedprple&gold
05-30-2015, 02:00 PM

Theres a lot of planning that is involved.

- TV network who's paying billions of dollars for the games has a schedule to follow.
- Arenas have their own schedule and the space might be booked.
- You need to sell tickets in advance, so people can make travel plans.
- The ABC/ESPN TV production team are going back and forth to film everything.
- Hard to find a Hotels for 50 people for the away team last minute.

Yea but I assume those accommodations couldn't be made until they knew what teams were going to be in the finals for sure after both conference finals series were over. At that point why not just change the start date? At minimum all they had to do was move up the start date of game 1 a few days. They could have kept the rest of the dates the same.

IndyRealist
05-30-2015, 02:08 PM

TV schedule. ABC has to plan their lineup around it. And since TV money is the NBA's primary source of income these days, that's who they have to make happy.

raiderposting
05-30-2015, 02:41 PM
This. The Conference Finals could have gone another 4 days.

What I find odd is that they are starting the Finals on a Thursday, so game 7 would end up on a Tuesday. Of course, it's more likely the Finals end in 5 or 6 games, which would be Friday or Sunday respectively. I guess that's what they're shooting for.

Game 7 will be on a Friday bro

TylerSL
05-30-2015, 03:22 PM
There was 8 days between Game 1 of the NBA Finals and Game 5 of Rockets/Warriors so I would say no. Rather, the NBA was simply not expecting the Conference Finals to end so quickly. Had both series gone 6 or 7 games there would have only been 3 or 4 days before the Finals, which is about normal.

mike_noodles
05-30-2015, 04:34 PM
TV schedule. ABC has to plan their lineup around it. And since TV money is the NBA's primary source of income these days, that's who they have to make happy.

I understand that, but I believe they are the only of the four majors that does this. Everyone else is based on the completion of the league/conference finals. And we're not talking about the fall schedule here. Just about everything is either in reruns or bottom feeder shows anyhow. It's not like the season premiere of the number one show on TV is gonna get bumped for it. If anything you'd think they would want it finished sooner. The later it goes, the more people start to take holidays and aren't around to watch the games.