PDA

View Full Version : How successful would Wade, LeBron, and Melo have been?

WaDe03
05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Stephen A said today that Wade LeBron and Melo all planned on signing contracts back in the day that would've made them all free agents at the same time. They were going to do this so they could all team up and win championships together. My question is, how successful would the Heat have been if they could've brought in Melo instead of Bosh? Would they have been better? Worse? About the same?

Bruno
05-29-2015, 10:18 PM
IMO, they needed a big like Bosh. He was top 5 in PER in his final year in Toronto and gave them the size they needed. I think three ball dominant guys on a team with no clear big men is a dangerous combination. I think Bosh was the better fit.

JEDean89
05-29-2015, 10:27 PM
bosh was the only guy who could play C on that team so they would have been screwed.

Chalmers
Wade
LBJ
Melo
Haslem

I don't know if that gets it done.

Tony_Starks
05-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Still good enough for 4 Finals appearances but only 1 ring. Bosh was the key to that team offensively and defensively with his versatility.

People talk about Rays shot that saved the series but never mention who snagged the offensive board and made the pass to make it happen.

TheNumber37
05-29-2015, 10:34 PM
They would have been great. Melo and Lebron would play both forward spots, and they would have gotten a rim protector.

I also don't see Melo playing with Lebron and giving less than admirable effort on the defensive end

dAngelo
05-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Still good enough for 4 Finals appearances but only 1 ring. Bosh was the key to that team offensively and defensively with his versatility. People talk about Rays shot that saved the series but never mention who snagged the offensive board and made the pass to make it happen.

Yeah, they also fail to mention who made a 3 pointer with 20 seconds left to make it a 2 point game.

bucketss
05-29-2015, 10:58 PM
too small.

TylerSL
05-29-2015, 10:59 PM
Chris Bosh complemented Lebron/Wade better than Melo would have. Defensively, Bosh does things Melo would never do with the Heat and offensively he fills the purpose that Melo would have too, stretch the floor. Bosh, like Melo would drag opposing bigs out of the post to create space for Lebron/Wade, but Bosh can also defend these bigger players better than Melo ever could. Bosh also is an amazing pick and roll defender, something Melo isn't. They probably could have a championship, maybe even two, but I doubt they would have gone to four consecutive NBA Finals and won 27 consecutive games at one point. Ultimately, they would have been hugely successful, just not as much so as the 2010-2014 Miami Heat were

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2015, 12:44 AM
Bosh was a WAY better fit.

You see his FG% compared to Melo? Plus Melo need the ball himself. He's not a spot-up shooter. Too much ego. And he couldn't guard centers like Bosh.

If I have LBJ and Wade, I take Bosh over Melo everyday of the week.

ewing
05-30-2015, 01:43 AM
Yeah, they also fail to mention who made a 3 pointer with 20 seconds left to make it a 2 point game.

they fail to mention if tony parker didn't pull a hamstring that series would have gone down a lot the one that came after it

ewing
05-30-2015, 01:45 AM
Bosh was a WAY better fit.

You see his FG% compared to Melo? Plus Melo need the ball himself. He's not a spot-up shooter. Too much ego. And he couldn't guard centers like Bosh.

If I have LBJ and Wade, I take Bosh over Melo everyday of the week.

melo is actually a excellent spot up shooter. He is a way way better shooter off the catch then off the dribble and he is a better shooter the Bosh. If your game plan was let Melo shoot open squared jump shots from deep you would get murdered .

ewing
05-30-2015, 01:49 AM
As for how the team would do: I think they would do splendidly. They would need other players but no one plays 3 on 5

FlashBolt
05-30-2015, 01:50 AM
Bosh is a better fit but I'd argue that Melo, Bron, and Bosh > Wade, Bron, and Bosh. Melo is just too small and Bosh is a better defender.

ewing
05-30-2015, 01:55 AM
Bosh is a better fit but I'd argue that Melo, Bron, and Bosh > Wade, Bron, and Bosh. Melo is just too small and Bosh is a better defender.

how is Melo two small when you don't know who the other players are? Bron is built like a PF Melo is big SF/PF.

ewing
05-30-2015, 01:56 AM
the Heat would have been in a better place were they to build a team around these 3- then the 3 they got

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-30-2015, 02:27 AM
not enough balls

Dade County
05-30-2015, 04:23 AM
The same out come would have happened...

As soon as they would have joined the same team, the media and fan's would have been outraged; and the same scripted events would have played out.

xxplayerxx23
05-30-2015, 08:29 AM
They might be the mavs, thunder don't know about beating the Spurs, I'm sure they would of gotten some extra rim protection. Chris Anderson was a beast that year he came too, Ray Allen there more shooting. Oh and Melo shooting up jump shots all day? Like in the Olympics good luck .

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2015, 09:25 AM
melo is actually a excellent spot up shooter. He is a way way better shooter off the catch then off the dribble and he is a better shooter the Bosh. If your game plan was let Melo shoot open squared jump shots from deep you would get murdered .

I'm assuming given your name that you are a Knicks fan and have seen more of Melo than I have, so I will defer to you on this point. The games I've seen though, Melo hasn't played well off the ball and usually needs to work the elbow to create his own shots.

That said, though I would concede that Melo is a better 3-point shooter (quite easily until this past season), Bosh seems a better mid-range jump shooter from the games I saw, which as a power forward is what he'd need to do. I'd rather have Bosh taking a 15-footer than Melo, but I'd rather have Melo taking a 3. Of course, there's nothing saying that the line-ups have to take a traditional format, so Melo could very likely use the 3.

Still... just watching Melo play, and seeing him with Iverson, I'm not sure he's a good glue guy. He seems like an All-Star that wants to be the first option, and I'd rather have LBJ or Wade shooting than him.

That said, among SFs, Melo is easily one of the very best rebounders, so he can rebound like a power forward.

His defense, though, is a whole other concern.

Good point though. Thanks for calling me out.

cmellofan15
05-30-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm assuming their role players would like a lot different and instead of getting guys like mike miller they would have gone for rim protectors.

nycericanguy
05-30-2015, 12:10 PM
They would have been much better... Bosh ended up being regulated to stretch 4 a lot. Melo is better at that. Melo is also better in the post.

Bosh only scored 14-15ppg, 7rpg in the playoffs on under 50%.

Melo is more efficient with his 3 ball and getting to the line more and the rebounding would have been about the same.

Obviously MIA would have had to look for bigger role players instead of the smaller role players they went with... so they would have been built a bit different but better overall.

Probably would have been a much faster team too, we've seen Melo & LBJ run teams to death int he Olympics

WaDe03
05-30-2015, 12:29 PM
They would have been much better... Bosh ended up being regulated to stretch 4 a lot. Melo is better at that. Melo is also better in the post.

Bosh only scored 14-15ppg, 7rpg in the playoffs on under 50%.

Melo is more efficient with his 3 ball and getting to the line more and the rebounding would have been about the same.

Obviously MIA would have had to look for bigger role players instead of the smaller role players they went with... so they would have been built a bit different but better overall.

Probably would have been a much faster team too, we've seen Melo & LBJ run teams to death int he Olympics

I agree I think we could've been better. Add a couple rim protectors, a 3 and D PG to start and add some 3 point shooters and they'd be good to go. I think they would've for sure beat the Mavs and would've had a better chance of beating the Spurs in 2014 but not sure if they could've pulled that off.

FlashBolt
05-30-2015, 05:59 PM
how is Melo two small when you don't know who the other players are? Bron is built like a PF Melo is big SF/PF.

Lol @ you if you think Melo can play PF for an entire season.

jerellh528
05-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Pg chalmers
Sg wade
Sf Melo
Pf James
C haslem

This team woulda been money. They couldve scraped the fa market for a pg who can shoot and a center who can defend and probably would've 3 peated

koreancabbage
05-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Melo and James? thats a great combo.

James the willing passer, Melo the willing shooter. match made up in heaven for the draft class mates.

More-Than-Most
05-31-2015, 01:14 AM
I think Bosh/James/Melo would have been better than Bosh/Wade/James... That trio won 2 championships but could have easily won 2 more if Wade and Bosh didnt fall apart and decline as fast as they did or played horrid in the post season... The last time they were in the playoffs James did everything to get them to the finals and wade and bosh were as close to trash as you could get. I am not a big melo fan but I think he/bosh/bron would have been much better

dnl123
05-31-2015, 02:01 AM
I think Bosh/James/Melo would have been better than Bosh/Wade/James... That trio won 2 championships but could have easily won 2 more if Wade and Bosh didnt fall apart and decline as fast as they did or played horrid in the post season... The last time they were in the playoffs James did everything to get them to the finals and wade and bosh were as close to trash as you could get. I am not a big melo fan but I think he/bosh/bron would have been much better

This. 100%. Wade was so fragile during the last 2 years of the Heat's run and Melo has been relatively healthy. To be fair though we haven't seen Melo's body have to hold up after multiple championship runs.

jerellh528
05-31-2015, 02:10 AM

Also if Lebron didn't have a collapse of epic proportions vs the mavs

More-Than-Most
05-31-2015, 02:13 AM
Also if Lebron didn't have a collapse of epic proportions vs the mavs

no denying that at all... I give him 100 percent fault for that series... but towards the end it was all on bosh/Wade... They looked like shells of their former selves the final 2 years.

xxplayerxx23
05-31-2015, 08:29 AM
I'm assuming given your name that you are a Knicks fan and have seen more of Melo than I have, so I will defer to you on this point. The games I've seen though, Melo hasn't played well off the ball and usually needs to work the elbow to create his own shots.

That said, though I would concede that Melo is a better 3-point shooter (quite easily until this past season), Bosh seems a better mid-range jump shooter from the games I saw, which as a power forward is what he'd need to do. I'd rather have Bosh taking a 15-footer than Melo, but I'd rather have Melo taking a 3. Of course, there's nothing saying that the line-ups have to take a traditional format, so Melo could very likely use the 3.

Still... just watching Melo play, and seeing him with Iverson, I'm not sure he's a good glue guy. He seems like an All-Star that wants to be the first option, and I'd rather have LBJ or Wade shooting than him.

That said, among SFs, Melo is easily one of the very best rebounders, so he can rebound like a power forward.

His defense, though, is a whole other concern.

Good point though. Thanks for calling me out.

Melo needs to do that with his current team playing next to James giving him wide open shots money. He's a better defender at then4 then the 3 and if he doesn't have to do it all offensively he's a better defender for it. hes prob a better rebounder then bosh now lol

Yanks All Day
05-31-2015, 12:34 PM
People forget how good the Celtics and Pacers teams were that Miami had to go through to get to the Finals. Do they still match up well with the Mavs and Thunder, assuming they find a big guy instead of Bosh? Sure. But Chris Bosh gets severely underrated because of his sacrifices. He was the perfect stretch 4 compliment for Wade and James, and played excellent defense on Duncan when the Heat won. He also stretched the floor, keeping David West and then-good Roy Hibbert from clogging the paint.

Offensively, I'd assume those Wade-LeBron-Melo teams would run some teams off the floor. Defensively, though that makes Miami even smaller than they were before. It's not about rebounding stats. It's about how the pieces fit. Couple that with Wade's physical decline and you're putting even more pressure on LeBron to do all the defense and rebounding on the team.

I think they still win a ring or two, but it's a much harder road than people want to think. Chris Bosh is a very, very good basketball player who played a huge role on the Miami Heat. It's really a shame how underrated he's become to the point that people think he's a replaceable part on a team that went to 4 straight Finals and won 2.

WaDe03
05-31-2015, 01:01 PM

I give one blame to Wade in 2014 and one to LeBron in 2011. No way we shouldn't have beat the Mavs. That was just a straight choke at its finest by LeBron. 2014 Wade was banged up pretty bad.

xxplayerxx23
05-31-2015, 01:35 PM
People forget how good the Celtics and Pacers teams were that Miami had to go through to get to the Finals. Do they still match up well with the Mavs and Thunder, assuming they find a big guy instead of Bosh? Sure. But Chris Bosh gets severely underrated because of his sacrifices. He was the perfect stretch 4 compliment for Wade and James, and played excellent defense on Duncan when the Heat won. He also stretched the floor, keeping David West and then-good Roy Hibbert from clogging the paint.

Offensively, I'd assume those Wade-LeBron-Melo teams would run some teams off the floor. Defensively, though that makes Miami even smaller than they were before. It's not about rebounding stats. It's about how the pieces fit. Couple that with Wade's physical decline and you're putting even more pressure on LeBron to do all the defense and rebounding on the team.

I think they still win a ring or two, but it's a much harder road than people want to think. Chris Bosh is a very, very good basketball player who played a huge role on the Miami Heat. It's really a shame how underrated he's become to the point that people think he's a replaceable part on a team that went to 4 straight Finals and won 2.

Melo is as good as a rebounder as bosh now lol

curtcocaine
05-31-2015, 01:49 PM
Their roster would have been totally different. If they got melo who's to say that they wouldnt get a defensive oriented center that was a good rebounder?

curtcocaine
05-31-2015, 01:50 PM
I say 3 rings and they beat the spurs

Ty Fast
05-31-2015, 09:23 PM
The Heat also got Mike Miller that year. If they had gotten Melo instead of Bosh they would have used the Miller money on a big.

Munkeysuit
05-31-2015, 10:00 PM
It wouldn't have really been too much different, I think anyone in that predicament (being 3rd wheel) would have been forced to play within the same parameters as Bosh was pretty much forced into. I honestly think Bosh did them some justice as he has the personality, disposition and smarts to have adapted and accepted that 3rd wheel role much quicker than most stars would have.
You can argue the length and height between the 2 but honestly, how much does that really matter being that far away from the key? Melo was a better scorer but he would not have the amount of touches and shots he has in NY. Bosh maximized the opportunities he was given masterfully and in result, helped them win 2 titles...so this scenario with Melo instead of Bosh really doesn't matter because if this were an experiment of sorts? then it was a success and it worked.

FlashBolt
06-01-2015, 10:40 PM
They definitely beat Mavs and I think they'll be 3/4. Bosh was fairly useless in all the NBA Finals outside the OKC one.