PDA

View Full Version : Will Kobe take a back seat or tone it down?

More-Than-Most
05-27-2015, 08:36 PM
I said during the draft lottery most people hate playing with Kobe and he will kill the big time prospect that comes there and the timber wolves are a much more desired team right now than the lakers because of the lakers situation.... Kobe wants to prove everyone wrong and show he still has it and be the player he once was and he expects everyone to work out like a machine like he does... He has the work ethic of 10 super star players which wont cut it in this NBA... That part isnt a knock on him though because I wish players would respect the game like he does and have as much will power and determination like he does but players dont and new found draft picks will have issues playing with him and hurt him and stars wont come to play with him.... I said this and I got called a moron... I showed previous links of players that hate playing with Kobe and so on and I got called a moron and stated how this draft pick and this draft pick say such nice things about him and they do but its because they are on a team with him and have to say it or its a wrap... Well here is yet another player that provides such truth

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/jared-dudley-players-dont-want-to-play-with-kobe-carmelo-is-overrated-357948.html

Dudley is spot on with both things... Melo is overrated and nobody will want to play with Kobe and as long as Kobe sticks around the Lakers are in trouble.

Ty Fast
05-27-2015, 08:44 PM
He will lead the NBA in shots per game. Maybe shots in a seaon depending on his health.

jerellh528
05-27-2015, 08:48 PM
I hope not, I want Kobe's last season to go down swinging for the fences. Lakers won't amount to anything next year, but it will be a fun to witness Kobe's final games, I'm sure there will be some nice moments to behold.

More-Than-Most
05-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Everyone would choose LA/KNicks over most places but right now the Wolves are in a much much better situation so if I was a draft pick id rather go play for the wolves with a wiggins and other high potential players and a non kobe situation.... They are a much much more desired destination than LA.

More-Than-Most
05-27-2015, 08:51 PM
I hope not, I want Kobe's last season to go down swinging for the fences. Lakers won't amount to anything next year, but it will be a fun to witness Kobe's final games, I'm sure there will be some nice moments to behold.

if next year is his final year I would have no issues but its Kobe ****ing Bryant... He would be out there unless he is dead and probably will play the next 3 years easily.... I cant fault his thinking either... He wants to win and play at a high level and his body will shut down before he takes a back seat to someone else... He is the last alpha left in the league... You will never see someone that works as hard as him but young players coming in with a player like him has disaster written all over it.

As I said there is not one person ever that works as hard as him or loves the game more than him. that is a double edged sword for the organization though

jerellh528
05-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Everyone would choose LA/KNicks over most places but right now the Wolves are in a much much better situation so if I was a draft pick id rather go play for the wolves with a wiggins and other high potential players and a non kobe situation.... They are a much much more desired destination than LA.

Doesn't seem to be the case for the top prospects though. Numerous reports have been released stating Lakers the desired location for both okafor and towns.

AllBall
05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Kobe is going out guns blazing.

People buying Laker tickets right now want to see Kobe, not whatever scrub they brought in to fill out the roster.

More-Than-Most
05-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Doesn't seem to be the case for the top prospects though. Numerous reports have been released stating Lakers the desired location for both okafor and towns.

of course and if you are a new prospect wouldn't you be excited to go to LA as well? Its not a good choice right now though... They see Kobe as a hero until they play with him and deal with him.... So many who join him experience the same thing.

More-Than-Most
05-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Kobe is going out guns blazing.

People buying Laker tickets right now want to see Kobe, not whatever scrub they brought in to fill out the roster.

and that is what sucks about being on that team... Its the jeter situation all over... Jeter wasn't very good for the yanks the last few years but they couldn't force him out and had to live with it. He didnt cost them as much as kobe will cost the lakers because 1 bad player in baseball isnt the same as one bad player in Basketball... The cap differences and so on as well.

Jayb587
05-27-2015, 09:22 PM
some thoughts on this topic. 1. On FA wanting to come there, we will see this offseason as to who they sign and the response the lakers get from FA visits, but all reports as of now say love and rondo both want LA, the question is now becoming does LA want them. 2. Kobe would have toned down his game a lot if the right FA had come along, not someone like Dwight who is as mentally frail as they come. Kobe at points in the season was begging the likes of JLin to take the team over offensively, problem is Jlin sucks. Hypothtically if westbrook or someone of that fight and determination was on the team kobe would do his part and enjoy the ride.. 3rd. Jared dudley sucks so no one cares what he says hahahaha. 4th. your dumb as rocks if u think ppl want to go to minny. all the top draftees want LA and you are likely to see manipulation from their agents to get them there. Im sorry folks but your going to have to accept the sucking 20 win seasons in LA are over. At the end of the day Kobe knows he needs to tone down his ball domination, hes just waiting for the right players around him to do it. As long as the team sucked his only goal was to break Kareems scoring record.

KnicksorBust
05-27-2015, 09:34 PM
The fascinating thing is with Kobe's passing, ball handling, and bball IQ he should be able to tone it down and still be productive but his stubbornness and ego will prevent him from toning it down to the right level.

More-Than-Most
05-27-2015, 09:36 PM
He had Nash/Howard and so on.... Dudley sucks so his opinion doesnt matter? The same opinion countless players that played with him have stated? The lakers arent gonna suck forever but they will for the next 2 seasons and if they force rebuild like they are trying to it could back fire quite quickly.... The Key is Kobe.... If he takes a back seat and retired after this season the lakers might be in good shape... people want to go to LA because of the city and history but Minny is a much smarter destination right now with Wiggs and their core of young players... They might be sitting on the next Kobe.

LakersEaglesLA
05-27-2015, 09:51 PM
LeBron just shot 37 times to score 37 points a couple days ago and got praised, if that had been Kobe those same people would have crucified Kobe.. Kobe has high basketball IQ I want him to do what he feels his body will allow

FlashBolt
05-27-2015, 10:00 PM
LeBron just shot 37 times to score 37 points a couple days ago and got praised, if that had been Kobe those same people would have crucified Kobe.. Kobe has high basketball IQ I want him to do what he feels his body will allow

Kobe shot 37 shots about 25 times in his career. LeBron shot this many times just once... and he pulled in 18 rebounds and 13 assists. Contrary to what you think, people don't crucify Kobe for the amount of shots.. they crucify him for not looking to get others involved the way James STILL did for his team. He started the game 0-10 and finished 14-27 or something... which is above 50%. Also, many of the shots he missed were from tip-ins and on the paint in which he basically catches it and just throws it up around multiple defenders. There's a huge difference and the special part about LeBron's 37 shots was that he made the two biggest ones when it mattered. Sorry pal, take your hate out of here. No one mentioned LeBron at all here. The fact is, Jared Dudley is right. I like Kobe as a player and he'll be missed when he retires (more-so than Jordan because of how social media has become), but this guy will hurt the progress of players like Randle/their 2nd pick of the draft. Jordan Clarkson? You can forget about him getting the ball. Kobe has to change if they plan on investing in the future. If the Lakers feel hey, it's Kobe's last season just let him do what he wants, I have no problem with that. But this Kobe won't get it done if they want to win. He does have a high BBIQ but he doesn't use it to his advantage. Like Dudley said, people don't want to play with someone who takes more shots than his entire teammates do... over 70 games in. That's absurd. Idk if that is true but there was a stat that showed Kobe took more shots than his teammates did midway through the season. That should never happen and IDC who you are.

More-Than-Most
05-27-2015, 10:18 PM

Kobe wouldnt have had 18 rebounds and 13 assists.

Jayb587
05-27-2015, 10:20 PM
He had Nash/Howard and so on.... Dudley sucks so his opinion doesnt matter? The same opinion countless players that played with him have stated? The lakers arent gonna suck forever but they will for the next 2 seasons and if they force rebuild like they are trying to it could back fire quite quickly.... The Key is Kobe.... If he takes a back seat and retired after this season the lakers might be in good shape... people want to go to LA because of the city and history but Minny is a much smarter destination right now with Wiggs and their core of young players... They might be sitting on the next Kobe.

I didn't see a thread created when matt barnes said this

"The reason people don’t want to go to the Lakers is because of management,” Barnes tells SI.com. “Kobe can be the scapegoat all they want but if you play hard, Kobe likes you. And if you bulls--- around, he doesn’t. It’s plain and simple. He’s not a vocal leader. He just expects you to play as hard as you can every minute on the court, like he does.” Someone who actually played with kobe. but some scrub he barely even plays and who never played with kobe talks and.... the HATERS GON HATE

More-Than-Most
05-27-2015, 10:30 PM
I didn't see a thread created when matt barnes said this

"The reason people don’t want to go to the Lakers is because of management,” Barnes tells SI.com. “Kobe can be the scapegoat all they want but if you play hard, Kobe likes you. And if you bulls--- around, he doesn’t. It’s plain and simple. He’s not a vocal leader. He just expects you to play as hard as you can every minute on the court, like he does.” Someone who actually played with kobe. but some scrub he barely even plays and who never played with kobe talks and.... the HATERS GON HATE

and I stated that as well... Nobody can play as hard as kobe does and keep him happy. Also Barnes wasnt a top superstar.... All the superstars that even threaten to be the top guy kobe cuts them out at the knees because he demands to be that guy... He is an alpha male.

Every once in a while we get one person that defends Kobe in the NBA... For every 1 there is 10 that say what dudley just said... Where there is smoke there is fire

Jayb587
05-27-2015, 11:31 PM
and I stated that as well... Nobody can play as hard as kobe does and keep him happy. Also Barnes wasnt a top superstar.... All the superstars that even threaten to be the top guy kobe cuts them out at the knees because he demands to be that guy... He is an alpha male.

Every once in a while we get one person that defends Kobe in the NBA... For every 1 there is 10 that say what dudley just said... Where there is smoke there is fire

kobe doesn't care what Dudley says someone he probably dropped 50 on in some point of his career. hater players can hate after they get 6 chips.

kobe4thewinbang
05-27-2015, 11:37 PM
YES -- he should tone it down and become more of a veteran role, arguably off the bench. Before he got hurt (again), he was flirting with a more efficient playing style, trying to be a distributor and take smarter shots with more discretion. Hopefully the Lakers have some good shooters other than Nick Young for him to pass to.

If they snag Rondo, they should start Clarkson at SG and do a combo guard thingy like the Suns did.

Back to Kobe, fool me once as it goes, so he knows now that he can't play at that level without something snapping on him. He gave an admirable effort when they last cracked the playoffs, but I couldn't bear watching those crappy Lakers without him for so long last season.

He needs to listen to his body, and be that "Paul Pierce in Washington"-esque role that can activate "mamba mode" when needed.

That's the truth, and it's how I use him with the Lakers on 2k.

Bron > Kobe
05-28-2015, 12:11 AM
some thoughts on this topic. 1. On FA wanting to come there, we will see this offseason as to who they sign and the response the lakers get from FA visits, but all reports as of now say love and rondo both want LA, the question is now becoming does LA want them. 2. Kobe would have toned down his game a lot if the right FA had come along, not someone like Dwight who is as mentally frail as they come. Kobe at points in the season was begging the likes of JLin to take the team over offensively, problem is Jlin sucks. Hypothtically if westbrook or someone of that fight and determination was on the team kobe would do his part and enjoy the ride.. 3rd. Jared dudley sucks so no one cares what he says hahahaha. 4th. your dumb as rocks if u think ppl want to go to minny. all the top draftees want LA and you are likely to see manipulation from their agents to get them there. Im sorry folks but your going to have to accept the sucking 20 win seasons in LA are over. At the end of the day Kobe knows he needs to tone down his ball domination, hes just waiting for the right players around him to do it. As long as the team sucked his only goal was to break Kareems scoring record.
Most rational post I've read on here in regards to Kobe and the lakers....

FlashBolt
05-28-2015, 12:16 AM
If Love leaves Cleveland, GOOD! Saves the Cavs from having to offer him anything just so they won't be labeled as untrustworthy. Cavs can do without Love when Varejao comes back.. what they need is LaMarcus.

LakersEaglesLA
05-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Kobe shot 37 shots about 25 times in his career. LeBron shot this many times just once... and he pulled in 18 rebounds and 13 assists. Contrary to what you think, people don't crucify Kobe for the amount of shots.. they crucify him for not looking to get others involved the way James STILL did for his team. He started the game 0-10 and finished 14-27 or something... which is above 50%. Also, many of the shots he missed were from tip-ins and on the paint in which he basically catches it and just throws it up around multiple defenders. There's a huge difference and the special part about LeBron's 37 shots was that he made the two biggest ones when it mattered. Sorry pal, take your hate out of here. No one mentioned LeBron at all here. The fact is, Jared Dudley is right. I like Kobe as a player and he'll be missed when he retires (more-so than Jordan because of how social media has become), but this guy will hurt the progress of players like Randle/their 2nd pick of the draft. Jordan Clarkson? You can forget about him getting the ball. Kobe has to change if they plan on investing in the future. If the Lakers feel hey, it's Kobe's last season just let him do what he wants, I have no problem with that. But this Kobe won't get it done if they want to win. He does have a high BBIQ but he doesn't use it to his advantage. Like Dudley said, people don't want to play with someone who takes more shots than his entire teammates do... over 70 games in. That's absurd. Idk if that is true but there was a stat that showed Kobe took more shots than his teammates did midway through the season. That should never happen and IDC who you are.

Soo Dudley's opinion is fact! But Barnes opinion is ignored, not even a thread huh

LakersEaglesLA
05-28-2015, 01:59 AM

Well actually Kobe had 15 rebounds against the Celtics (Real Team) gm 7 on a bad shooting night to help his team win second straight Championship, I wonder if you bragged abt those rebounds lol

L8kers4life
05-28-2015, 02:06 AM
If Love leaves Cleveland, GOOD! Saves the Cavs from having to offer him anything just so they won't be labeled as untrustworthy. Cavs can do without Love when Varejao comes back.. what they need is LaMarcus.

Man if the Cavs had LaMarcus they would break the Bulls 72-10 mark, he would fit perfectly with LeBron, great mid range shooter who can go back to the basket when he wants.

More-Than-Most
05-28-2015, 02:33 AM
Well actually Kobe had 15 rebounds against the Celtics (Real Team) gm 7 on a bad shooting night to help his team win second straight Championship, I wonder if you bragged abt those rebounds lol

what about the 13 assists and was it without shaq or paul?

PowerHouse
05-28-2015, 03:04 AM
I hope he plays like he was those last 12 or so games before the injury when toning it down and becoming a facilitator was exactly what he was doing. He was droppin serious dimes in a lot of those games including a career high 17 assists. Will he continue to do that? Idk but I hope so.

Mave1002
05-28-2015, 05:12 AM

lol such a hater/homer. Im not even the biggest KObe fan

Scoots
05-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I think he'll tone it down some if his teammates can hit shots. I think this year he learned some things.

2-ONE-5
05-28-2015, 12:18 PM
some players might not want to play with Kobe (hes not the only star no one wants to play with) but i dont believe for one second that he ruins young talent and there is no proof of that either and is ridiculous to think so at this stage of his career.

FlashBolt
05-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Soo Dudley's opinion is fact! But Barnes opinion is ignored, not even a thread huh

But what did Dudley say that was incorrect? Barnes isn't incorrect either. I understand that Kobe's drive to greatness and becoming the best is what makes him such a special and the most dedicated worker in all of basketball. However, that also brushes off against his teammates and some just can't handle that type of dedication. In a perfect world, you'd want everyone of the same personality so you can co-exist. That's simply not possible. You have guys like Steve Nash who wasn't like Kobe and he's one of the greatest PG's ever. This Kobe has to go if Lakers want to progress. But Kobe who makes plays, picks his shots, and looks to mentor his teammates? That Kobe can play for as long as he wants.

PhillyFaninLA
05-28-2015, 12:50 PM
I hope he plays like he was those last 12 or so games before the injury when toning it down and becoming a facilitator was exactly what he was doing. He was droppin serious dimes in a lot of those games including a career high 17 assists. Will he continue to do that? Idk but I hope so.

I hope Kobe plays well enough to get the Sixers the 4th pick in next years draft (top 3 protected)

LakersEaglesLA
05-28-2015, 01:18 PM

Why in the hell do it matter if he done it with or without Shaq or Pau? Kobe is not allowed to have teammates? Dumbest statement ever.. You seem to forget Pau was 0-12 in playoff games before he played with Kobe.. Shaq never won a championship until he played with Kobe... Jordan no Chip without Pippen, Magic no Chip without Kareem, Bird no Chip without Parrish... But LeBron gets to go to pair a super team in Miami with two hall of famers and that's acceptable.. Then LeBron runs to play with Irving and Love to form another super team and that's acceptable? I didn't even mention the level of competition in the Eastern Conference has been the worst in the history of the nba and every other major sport for 15 years.. And in a couple weeks LeBron will be 2-4 in Championship Series because the Western Conference have Real Teams to play against.... So stop talking crazy.. Kobe will do what his body will let him do, it's not abt skills with Kobe he haven't lost that, it's purely abt staying healthy

Hawkeye15
05-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Why in the hell do it matter if he done it with or without Shaq or Pau? Kobe is not allowed to have teammates? Dumbest statement ever.. You seem to forget Pau was 0-12 in playoff games before he played with Kobe.. Shaq never won a championship until he played with Kobe... Jordan no Chip without Pippen, Magic no Chip without Kareem, Bird no Chip without Parrish... But LeBron gets to go to pair a super team in Miami with two hall of famers and that's acceptable.. Then LeBron runs to play with Irving and Love to form another super team and that's acceptable? I didn't even mention the level of competition in the Eastern Conference has been the worst in the history of the nba and every other major sport for 15 years.. And in a couple weeks LeBron will be 2-4 in Championship Series because the Western Conference have Real Teams to play against.... So stop talking crazy.. Kobe will do what his body will let him do, it's not abt skills with Kobe he haven't lost that, it's purely abt staying healthy

haha, no!

as for the thread, Kobe will do what he feels his body will allow. I think some of it depends on the situation the Lakers are in. If he generally thinks its a wasted year, he may gun away. If he thinks its a year where he can really help leave a positive imprint on the future of the young Laker members, maybe he takes more of a leadership role, hands on.

In all reality, as much as I have always disliked Kobe as a person, I respected his game, and I am going to suck it up and try and watch as many Laker games as I can stomach, so I can watch him play more before he is gone for good.

FlashBolt
05-28-2015, 01:44 PM

You're barking on the wrong tree if you think LeBron gets a pass for playing with other players.. He's the most criticized for it. You need to fix your argument and way of thinking because no one is even at the slight, making that assessment of Kobe. What we're simply saying and what many have said is that Kobe gets in the way of Kobe. We've seen him be able to distribute. Their record was much better when Kobe picked his shots and looked to get teammates involved. Their team was much more exciting and definitely, more enjoyable when that happened. But Kobe doesn't do so for extended periods of time. He'll do it for two games and then go back to gunning. Kobe was third in FGA for the Lakers and was 60 shy from being the first. This was despite him playing about only 40 games. That is not acceptable and especially with his FG%, it is just not smart basketball. His tendency to keep shooting and then criticize his teammates for not having that same drive is rather ironic and pathetic. You have to understand that as a free agent, would you be happy playing under those circumstances? I know Rondo wouldn't care but who the hell even wants Rondo anymore? He's also known as a team killer.

IKnowHoops
05-28-2015, 02:53 PM

I bet it will be more fun for his detractors and more painful for you.

IKnowHoops
05-28-2015, 03:14 PM

I dont think so. The guy wouldn't tone it down with Shaq

IKnowHoops
05-28-2015, 03:17 PM

Its because Lebron never does that, and is usually so far from it he gets killed for not shooting enough. Kobe was down to do that every game, and when your that inefficient all the time and continue to shoot, then it gets old. If Bron was known for this his whole career, he'd get killed for it too. CONTEXT

DaLakerz Rulz
05-28-2015, 03:19 PM

pretty much. and speaking of the east teams:

D-Leethal
05-28-2015, 03:19 PM
I think he will gladly tone it down if a coach he respects is telling him to do so and a roster he respects is worthy of toning it down for. If not, he's gonna chase records.

PurpleLynch
05-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Shine on you crazy diamond. That's Kobe in a nutshell. :rock:

Hawkeye15
05-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Shine on you crazy diamond. That's Kobe in a nutshell. :rock:

god I love that song

PurpleLynch
05-28-2015, 05:12 PM
god I love that song

So you have definitely a great taste in music :cheers:

Hawkeye15
05-28-2015, 05:48 PM
So you have definitely a great taste in music :cheers:

best bands ever:

1A: Beatles
1B: Pink Floyd

AIRMAR72
05-28-2015, 08:16 PM
I said during the draft lottery most people hate playing with Kobe and he will kill the big time prospect that comes there and the timber wolves are a much more desired team right now than the lakers because of the lakers situation.... Kobe wants to prove everyone wrong and show he still has it and be the player he once was and he expects everyone to work out like a machine like he does... He has the work ethic of 10 super star players which wont cut it in this NBA... That part isnt a knock on him though because I wish players would respect the game like he does and have as much will power and determination like he does but players dont and new found draft picks will have issues playing with him and hurt him and stars wont come to play with him.... I said this and I got called a moron... I showed previous links of players that hate playing with Kobe and so on and I got called a moron and stated how this draft pick and this draft pick say such nice things about him and they do but its because they are on a team with him and have to say it or its a wrap... Well here is yet another player that provides such truth

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/jared-dudley-players-dont-want-to-play-with-kobe-carmelo-is-overrated-357948.html

Dudley is spot on with both things... Melo is overrated and nobody will want to play with Kobe and as long as Kobe sticks around the Lakers are in trouble. Kobe Bryant is FINISH furthermore Kobe Bryant is a FAKE

jerellh528
05-28-2015, 08:18 PM
best bands ever:

1A: Beatles
1B: Pink Floyd

Ahh, maybe I'm too young, but I just don't get the widespread Beatles appeal. To me they're the most overrated band in history! Lol

Tony_Starks
05-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Well let's see, when Kobe had other players to compliment his game he adjusted and got 5 rings. When he had no talent he gunned it and kept them competitive the only way he could.

So really instead of asking what Kobe is going to do shouldn't the question be what sort of cast is management going to surround him with on his way out? Would Jimmy like to see a final playoff run before its all over or is he content to sell out losing games while Kobe puts up 30 and breaks records on his victory lap?

PhillyFaninLA
05-29-2015, 06:36 AM
Well let's see, when Kobe had other players to compliment his game he adjusted and got 5 rings. When he had no talent he gunned it and kept them competitive the only way he could.

So really instead of asking what Kobe is going to do shouldn't the question be what sort of cast is management going to surround him with on his way out? Would Jimmy like to see a final playoff run before its all over or is he content to sell out losing games while Kobe puts up 30 and breaks records on his victory lap?

I think the bolded is a terrible plan. He is at the end of his career, try building a team for after he leaves. I believe this is the last year of his contract and whether he retires or not, the Lakers need to move on after this year. They need to ride him out this year, give him his retirement tour if that is what he plans to do, but go into the season knowing Kobe will never put on a Lakers uniform in an NBA game after the 2015 - 16 season or you are setting back your franchise.

I'm all for the Lakers setting themselves back but its horrible planning to take into account what Kobe wants this year and can only hurt the franchise long term. Its not like they where good last year, you let the young guards play, limit Kobe's minutes, try and develop Randle and Okafer (Towns or Russell).

If a Lakers fan wants anything else, please take over as GM and stay there long term.

Jamiecballer
05-29-2015, 01:35 PM
no, he won't. he will go out being kobe. he's shown far too much consistency in his career to think otherwise.