PDA

View Full Version : Durability vs Talent

Chronz
05-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Say you have 2 similar players. Would you want the inferior player who plays +82 games a year, or the better player whos a toss up for the playoffs.(70% chance he stays healthy for the playoffs and plays at least 20 less games)

jerellh528
05-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Depends on the difference in talent. If it's between guys like kd and Melo, I'll take kd with a 70% chance of health. Ifs is between like griffin and Davis, I'll take 82 griffin games.

KnicksorBust
05-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Depends on the difference in talent. If it's between guys like kd and Melo, I'll take kd with a 70% chance of health. Ifs is between like griffin and Davis, I'll take 82 griffin games.

I agree. It is tough to elaborate further without more info. This is one of those questions that is so tough that it would probably depend on a case by case basis.

Goose17
05-27-2015, 08:45 PM
Agree with others, really difficult without more context. What's the rest of the team like? Are we talking about a role player or a bonafied star?

Perfect example of the 70% guy is Bogut.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Amir Johnson.

Jeffy25
05-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Say you have 2 similar players. Would you want the inferior player who plays +82 games a year, or the better player whos a toss up for the playoffs.(70% chance he stays healthy for the playoffs and plays at least 20 less games)

As in...I'm assembling a team and I'm the GM?

I guess it depends on my current roster.

But if we are talking about two players that produce the same Win Shares for example, but one plays 82 games, and the other plays 60 games and is most likely going to be ready for the playoffs....then I'll take the 60 game guy because then I can utilize bench services to create additional value in the time off.

But there is something to be said for knowing what you have.

Greet
05-27-2015, 09:44 PM
I'd argue that durability is an aspect of talent, one of LeBrons biggest strengths is that he stays on the court.

For your scenerio, without knowing either players... Give me the 82 games + playoffs... 30% a star player isn't there for the playoffs?? That's too risky for me