6. SAS
11. TOR

3. HOU
14. OKC

7. CLE
10. DAL

2. ATL
15. MIL

In this scenario GS would play either POR or CHI in round 2. MEM or WAS or LAC in Conference Finals.
SAS would get HOU or OKC in round 2 probably HOU, and who takes that? CLE gets DAL in round 1, but still ATL in round 2 and either HOU or SAS in RD3.

Would this actually be better for the league?

KnicksorBust
05-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Personally I like the conferences because I like seeing rivalry match-ups like the classic Spurs/Clippers series. The reason why ideas like this will get support is because this post-season has been incredibly boring and the East is still a train-wreck.

mightybosstone
05-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Personally I like the conferences because I like seeing rivalry match-ups like the classic Spurs/Clippers series. The reason why ideas like this will get support is because this post-season has been incredibly boring and the East is still a train-wreck.

I blame the current rules about seeding for the lackluster playoffs moreso than I blame the unbalanced conferences. If the West had been seeded correctly based on record and not on division title, here is your bracket for the West:

1: Golden State
8: New Orleans

4: Memphis
5: San Antonio

2: Houston
7: Dallas

3: LA Clippers
6: Portland

That dramatically improves the postseason in the West and makes things substantially more difficult for Golden State. We still would have gotten a solid first round series with San Antonio playing Memphis and that epic Houston vs. LA second round matchup. But now the Spurs probably advance to the second round and Golden State faces a much tougher opponent in San Antonio.

The results probably would have been the same with Houston and Golden State advancing to the Western Conference Finals. But this is a much more interesting bracket with the four best teams in the conference all advancing to the second round. The league needs to fix the seeds so that a lackluster division winner like that banged up Portland squad isn't just handed a top 4 spot.

2-ONE-5
05-27-2015, 01:33 PM
NBA Playoffs Reformat

1. GS
2. ATL
3. HOU
4. LAC
5. MEM
6. SAS
7. CLE
8. POR
9. CHI
10. DAL
11. TOR
12. WAS
13. NOP
14. OKC
15. MIL
16. BOS

1. GS
16. BOS

8. POR
9. CHI

5. MEM
12. WAS

4. LAC
13. NOP

----------------------------------

6. SAS
11. TOR

3. HOU
14. OKC

7. CLE
10. DAL

2. ATL
15. MIL

In this scenario GS would play either POR or CHI in round 2. MEM or WAS or LAC in Conference Finals.
SAS would get HOU or OKC in round 2 probably HOU, and who takes that? CLE gets DAL in round 1, but still ATL in round 2 and either HOU or SAS in RD3.

Would this actually be better for the league?

i like it how it is but i must say this is easily the best idea that i have seen.

wizardsfan3
05-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Something like this would never happen even though it would be nice. Adam Silver already said the traveling schedules would be too difficult and teams who didn't travel far would have advantages over teams that did have to travel far.

Bostonjorge
05-27-2015, 02:15 PM
It would of helped the awful ratings the Hawks and cavs just put on that's for sure.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Why should we have 4 #1 seeds?

tredigs
05-27-2015, 03:19 PM

I was pretty sure this post was going to be dripping with sarcasm after it started with "Spurs/Clippers" as a rivalry match-up, but the close makes me not so sure.

Were you being serious?

Jeffy25
05-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Should do like baseball does

Playoffs would look like this:

East
Wild Card
Washington vs Chicago, one game event

Winner of Wild Card would play:
Atlanta in a best of 7

Other series is Cleveland vs Toronto in a best of 7

Winner of Atlanta vs WAS/CHI plays Winner of CLE/TOR in a best of 7 for the Eastern Conference Finals

West:

Wild Card games of:
MEM vs SAS in a one game playoff
Winner of that would play
MEM/SAS vs LAC

Winner of MEM/SAS vs LAC would play GS in a best of 7

POR vs HOU in other playoff series best of 7

Then winner of MEM/SAS/LAC vs GS would play winner of POR/HOU in Western Conference Finals best of 7

Then winners of Conference Finals meet in Finals for a Best of 7

It's less playoff games and teams, but I hate seeing sub .500 teams in the playoffs any way, I always ignore the first round any way, unless there is a matchup I like (which is rare, but this year I did watch SAS vs LAC)

KnicksorBust
05-27-2015, 03:31 PM
I was pretty sure this post was going to be dripping with sarcasm after it started with "Spurs/Clippers" as a rivalry match-up, but the close makes me not so sure.

Were you being serious?

:laugh: I was actually but in retrospect you are right calling the Spurs/Clippers a rivalry makes no sense. I'm going to blame that one on the heat.

tredigs
05-27-2015, 03:43 PM
:laugh: I was actually but in retrospect you are right calling the Spurs/Clippers a rivalry makes no sense. I'm going to blame that one on the heat.

Ahah OK yeah I was like, "sure awesome series but...?".

TylerSL
05-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Personally, I like Bill Simmons' idea that instead of having the playoff seedings based off a NCAA style bracket, have the teams that missed the playoffs compete in a single elimination NCAA style bracket to determine the final playoff spots.

How it would work is the top 7 teams in each conference (14 teams) would get in and everyone else (16 teams) would compete in a NCAA style tournament bracket where the final team remaining in each conference would be given the final playoff spot for their respective conferences. The seedings for the brackets would be determined based on regular season record so the the team with best record would face the team with worst at home. This adds significant value and intrigue to the league because anyone could potentially have the chance to slip into the postseason (even though it would cost the team a lottery pick). It would bring its own madness to the NBA and keep hope alive for teams fighting for a spot. If this was incorporated this year the tournament would have looked like.

1. New Orleans
2. Oklahoma City
3. Phoenix
4. Brooklyn
5. Indiana
6. Utah
7. Miami
8. Charlotte
9. Detroit
10. Denver
11. Sacramento
12. Orlando
13. Los Angeles Lakers
14. Philadelphia
15. New York
16. Minnesota

For the purposes of the post I'll mock the tournament.

Round 1
16 Minnesota @ 1 New Orleans-Pelicans win
9 Detroit @ 8 Charlotte-Pistons win
12 Orlando @ 5 Indiana-Pacers win
13 Los Angeles Lakers @ 4 Brooklyn-Nets win
11 Sacramento @ 6 Utah-Jazz win
14 Philadelphia @ 3 Phoenix-Suns win
10 Denver @ 7 Miami-Heat win
15 New York @ 2 Oklahoma City-Thunder win

Round 2 "Elite 8"
9 Detroit @ 1. New Orleans-Pelicans win
5 Indiana @ 4 Brooklyn-Pacers win
6 Utah @ 3 Phoenix-Suns win
7 Miami @ 2 Oklahoma City-Heat win

Round 3 "Final 4"
5 Pacers @ 1 New Orleans-Pelicans win
7 Miami @ 3 Phoenix-Heat win

In that scenario, New Orleans would be awarded #8 in the West and Miami in the East. If the bracket ended up differently and say the East only has 1 team in the "Final 4" then that team would get the #8 seed for the East, but the other 3 teams would still have incentive to win their games because the winner would be awarded #8 spot in the West. Also if say the "Final 4" had 2 East vs. West matchups and the West won both, the 2 East teams would play afterwards to determine the #8 in the East.

It's different and would be a huge change in the NBA, but I personally feel it adds intrigue, excitement, and just absolute madness to the conclusion of the regular season. Playoff races would be that much tighter and it would make the playoffs more prestigious IMO. So instead of dropping the East-West format, every team would get a chance to get in.

Saddletramp
05-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Personally, I like Bill Simmons' idea that instead of having the playoff seedings based off a NCAA style bracket, have the teams that missed the playoffs compete in a single elimination NCAA style bracket to determine the final playoff spots.

How it would work is the top 7 teams in each conference (14 teams) would get in and everyone else (16 teams) would compete in a NCAA style tournament bracket where the final team remaining in each conference would be given the final playoff spot for their respective conferences. The seedings for the brackets would be determined based on regular season record so the the team with best record would face the team with worst at home. This adds significant value and intrigue to the league because anyone could potentially have the chance to slip into the postseason (even though it would cost the team a lottery pick). It would bring its own madness to the NBA and keep hope alive for teams fighting for a spot. If this was incorporated this year the tournament would have looked like.

1. New Orleans
2. Oklahoma City
3. Phoenix
4. Brooklyn
5. Indiana
6. Utah
7. Miami
8. Charlotte
9. Detroit
10. Denver
11. Sacramento
12. Orlando
13. Los Angeles Lakers
14. Philadelphia
15. New York
16. Minnesota

For the purposes of the post I'll mock the tournament.

Round 1
16 Minnesota @ 1 New Orleans-Pelicans win
9 Detroit @ 8 Charlotte-Pistons win
12 Orlando @ 5 Indiana-Pacers win
13 Los Angeles Lakers @ 4 Brooklyn-Nets win
11 Sacramento @ 6 Utah-Jazz win
14 Philadelphia @ 3 Phoenix-Suns win
10 Denver @ 7 Miami-Heat win
15 New York @ 2 Oklahoma City-Thunder win

Round 2 "Elite 8"
9 Detroit @ 1. New Orleans-Pelicans win
5 Indiana @ 4 Brooklyn-Pacers win
6 Utah @ 3 Phoenix-Suns win
7 Miami @ 2 Oklahoma City-Heat win

Round 3 "Final 4"
5 Pacers @ 1 New Orleans-Pelicans win
7 Miami @ 3 Phoenix-Heat win

In that scenario, New Orleans would be awarded #8 in the West and Miami in the East. If the bracket ended up differently and say the East only has 1 team in the "Final 4" then that team would get the #8 seed for the East, but the other 3 teams would still have incentive to win their games because the winner would be awarded #8 spot in the West. Also if say the "Final 4" had 2 East vs. West matchups and the West won both, the 2 East teams would play afterwards to determine the #8 in the East.

It's different and would be a huge change in the NBA, but I personally feel it adds intrigue, excitement, and just absolute madness to the conclusion of the regular season. Playoff races would be that much tighter and it would make the playoffs more prestigious IMO. So instead of dropping the East-West format, every team would get a chance to get in.

And then by injury, some guy balling like crazy for 1 game or whateverthecase, a team like The Lakers make it into the 8th seed, get slaughtered by the Warriors and lose their lottery pick and then they're awful next year, too.

I kind of like the idea though, but I don't particularly care for the stuff at the end like what if every remaining East team some year happens to lose in the second round? There's going to be another mini-tournament added to the West's main tournament? Plus, I don't like having the chance of only one conference's team making it to those tourney finals.

The only way this could work is if it's West v West and East v East or the top 14 teams get seeded like in the OP.

And the baseball idea is dumb. The NBA would lose so much money.

tredigs
05-27-2015, 05:19 PM
I wonder about less series/less games and how that would ultimately effect revenue. You'd have to imagine that with, let's say a 66 game schedule and only 3 rounds of the playoffs, each game would be seen as more of a spectacle, right? IE that more people would be tuning in and that as a result they could charge a higher premium for ad-sales, ticket prices, etc? I'm sure they would in fact lose $ here, but they might be able to make it up in other ways. And ultimately I think it offers a better product with a higher chance of healthy players. You'd have to imagine the sheer amount of $ lost from superstars going down to injury in recent years could have been mitigated a bit by playing fewer games and having less total stress on their bodies. Might even see more epic twilight-year careers like Timmy D (whose minutes/games have obviously been managed brilliantly by Pop).

I'd personally prefer just 6 teams in each conference making the playoffs. That way, even if one conference is top heavy, you're far less likely to get a sub .500 team in there. For every awesome 1 V 8 matchup we get, there's 50 blowouts. I think the 70's and early 80's hit the sweet spot with playoff #'s. I wouldn't be opposed to losing a couple franchises in doing this, either. But that's a tougher sell.