PDA

View Full Version : What happens with Carroll and Millsap?

mrblisterdundee
05-27-2015, 11:34 AM
LeBron James just poleaxed Atlanta. The Cavs had maybe 1.7 of their big three in that series, but they still swept the second-best regular season team.
So what happens with two of Atlanta's three most valuable assets, DeMarre Carroll and Paul Millsap?
Carroll's established himself as an elite defender, and Millsap's the next best power forward available after LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love.
If Aldridge left and I was the GM in Portland, I'd target Millsap. He's 30, but his game ages well.

da ThRONe
05-27-2015, 12:46 PM
LeBron James just poleaxed Atlanta. The Cavs had maybe 1.7 of their big three in that series, but they still swept the second-best regular season team.
So what happens with two of Atlanta's three most valuable assets, DeMarre Carroll and Paul Millsap?
Carroll's established himself as an elite defender, and Millsap's the next best power forward available after LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love.
If Aldridge left and I was the GM in Portland, I'd target Millsap. He's 30, but his game ages well.

This is why it's so hard to build a complete team and compete with veteran players. ATL team success has brought a lot of attention to guys that would normally been viewed as top notch role players. Now both Carroll and Millsap are in line to get a big contract relative to their impacts on the game.

Not sure if the Hawks will be able to afford to keep both Millsap and Carroll this off season.

ewing
05-27-2015, 12:48 PM
i saw that Milsap is likely going in for shoulder surgery.

KnicksorBust
05-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Hawks have $23 million in cap space. There is no reasonable way to split that up considering Millsap's max is around $18 and Carroll will command +$10 mil per year. I think they have to let Carroll walk and max out Millsap.

GiantsSwaGG
05-27-2015, 12:59 PM
They will get overpaid

flea
05-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Pay Carroll, let Milsap go. Watched Al Horford since his college days, if he's the best player on your team then he needs a true big man in the rotation with him if you want to win a championship. He's certainly capable of winning a championship under those circumstances IMO with a very good cast around him but not if he's your only 5. His J is better than most PFs in the league and he can hit a corner 3 so spacing is not an issue. Plus he will still be able to dominate in small lineups with Mike Scott or someone of his ilk as a 4.

Milsap is a nice player with no real offensive weaknesses, he just can't be relied upon as a primary scorer. His liabilities defensively and on the glass do not help matters.

nycericanguy
05-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Hawks have $23 million in cap space. There is no reasonable way to split that up considering Millsap's max is around $18 and Carroll will command +$10 mil per year. I think they have to let Carroll walk and max out Millsap.

they have each of their bird rights though so they can keep both if they want.

actually their cap holds aren't even that much so they could even sign another $10m player and then go over the cap to resign Milsap and Carroll to whatever.

It won't be a question of "Can ATL afford them"... it's going to be whether they want to pay them and whether those guys want to stay.

Hawkeye15
05-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Pay Carroll, let Milsap go. Watched Al Horford since his college days, if he's the best player on your team then he needs a true big man in the rotation with him if you want to win a championship. He's certainly capable of winning a championship under those circumstances IMO with a very good cast around him but not if he's your only 5. His J is better than most PFs in the league and he can hit a corner 3 so spacing is not an issue. Plus he will still be able to dominate in small lineups with Mike Scott or someone of his ilk as a 4.

Milsap is a nice player with no real offensive weaknesses, he just can't be relied upon as a primary scorer. His liabilities defensively and on the glass do not help matters.

yep. They need size so badly

2-ONE-5
05-27-2015, 01:28 PM

no way they should max out a 30 y/o Milsap hes not worth a max with the cap rising or not

raiderposting
05-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Sign gasol, sign Carroll after

Gasol
Horford
Carroll

Gasol isn't going there but that's really nice 3-5

KnicksorBust
05-27-2015, 03:20 PM
they have each of their bird rights though so they can keep both if they want.

actually their cap holds aren't even that much so they could even sign another $10m player and then go over the cap to resign Milsap and Carroll to whatever.

It won't be a question of "Can ATL afford them"... it's going to be whether they want to pay them and whether those guys want to stay.

Good point. With the increasing cap now would be the time to lock those contracts in. After your post I went and found this article:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/can-the-atlanta-hawks-keep-their-team-together-this-offseason/

which is incredibly detailed about the different possibilities for anyone who wants to read it.

KnicksorBust
05-27-2015, 03:23 PM
no way they should max out a 30 y/o Milsap hes not worth a max with the cap rising or not

2 way big man who can literally do everything pass, shoot, defend. They won 60 games with him as one of the main options. Is it really the age that bothers you? You could argue last season was his best season.

KnicksorBust
05-27-2015, 03:24 PM

Their team doesn't rely on him to be a primary scorer just one of several valuable options. How do you replace Millsap?