PDA

View Full Version : Cavs 2015-2016 Roster deepest in the NBA?

Nikeman
05-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Assuming they keep this roster for next season, does this team easily become title favorites and the deepest team in the NBA?

Kyrie/Delly
Shumpert/JR
LeBron/James Jones/Mike Miller
Kevin Love/TT
Mozgov/Varejao

That's a legit 9 deep roster, and Shump, JR, Delly and TT have shown they are legit starters in the NBA. Delly being the only question mark.

TT and Shump are restricted, Kevin Love/JR have player options and probably opt in. I think Cleveland for the most part can keep this core in tact.

InRoseWeTrust
05-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Assuming they keep this roster for next season, does this team easily become title favorites and the deepest team in the NBA?

Kyrie/Delly
Shumpert/JR
LeBron/James Jones/Mike Miller
Kevin Love/TT
Mozgov/Varejao

That's a legit 9 deep roster, and Shump, JR, Delly and TT have shown they are legit starters in the NBA. Delly being the only question mark.

TT and Shump are restricted, Kevin Love/JR have player options and probably opt in. I think Cleveland for the most part can keep this core in tact.

I would actually argue that I don't think any of them have proven they are 'legit' starters in the NBA. Could just be me, though.

More-Than-Most
05-26-2015, 07:11 PM
:laugh:

no... just no. You people are seeing the Lebron effect.... Medicore or crap players go up a tier or 2 because of the king.

Warriors/Spurs/Thunder are all better even if love and kyrie are healthy.

tredigs
05-26-2015, 07:14 PM
I would actually argue that I don't think any of them have proven they are 'legit' starters in the NBA. Could just be me, though.

When JR is kept in check and sticks to catch-and-shoot shots rather than creating on his own, he's very legit offensively and he's also a capable defender (which on a team like the Cavs where he's held accountable, is proving that). He's inconsistent, but legit when he wants to be. Shump? Meh. His borderline elite perimeter D makes up for his sub-par O, but he's best as a solid bench piece imo. TT is proving to be a legit piece. He's close to the top offensive rebounder in the game and whether or not he's a legit "starter" or not, he's a very nice guy to have in the rotation. Delladova... no. He's just a decent 3pt threat and a gnat.

@the OP, this would definitely be a strong/deep team. But, the only thing as sure as the Sun setting in the West is that Varajao will miss a significant chunk of the season with injury, and it's very much in the air that they get Love to come back. If they had Wiggins, they'd be really scary for the next 3-4 years.

Nikeman
05-26-2015, 07:20 PM

no... just no. You people are seeing the Lebron effect.... Medicore or crap players go up a tier or 2 because of the king.

Warriors/Spurs/Thunder are all better even if love and kyrie are healthy.

Disagree, yes LeBron gets them tons of open looks, but he did not teach TT how to become the rebounding machine he is. JR has been 6th man of the year before playing with Bron and averaged 18 a game. Shump has always been a player filled with talent and was always known for his elite defense.

He has probably mentored Delly, but Delly himself is a scrappy, defender, (yes maybe a bit dirty).

FraziersKnicks
05-26-2015, 07:31 PM
When JR is kept in check and sticks to catch-and-shoot shots rather than creating on his own, he's very legit offensively and he's also a capable defender (which on a team like the Cavs where he's held accountable, is proving that). He's inconsistent, but legit when he wants to be. Shump? Meh. His borderline elite perimeter D makes up for his sub-par O, but he's best as a solid bench piece imo. TT is proving to be a legit piece. He's close to the top offensive rebounder in the game and whether or not he's a legit "starter" or not, he's a very nice guy to have in the rotation. Delladova... no. He's just a decent 3pt threat and a gnat.

@the OP, this would definitely be a strong/deep team. But, the only thing as sure as the Sun setting in the West is that Varajao will miss a significant chunk of the season with injury, and it's very much in the air that they get Love to come back. If they had Wiggins, they'd be really scary for the next 3-4 years.

Isn't it a bit contradictory saying JR is legit offensively when he's only doing one thing? Surely that just makes him a very good spot up shooter rather than being legit offensively?

I kinda think of a LEGIT offensive player someone who can score in a variety of ways, creating for himself and being a knockdown shooter... Maybe we just have different criteria.

As for the OP's question, that team still isn't as deep as the Warriors or Spurs (assuming they re-sign their FA's).

Curry/Livingston
Klay/Barbosa
Barnes/Iggy
Draymond/Lee
Bogut/Ezeli

Parker/Mills
Green/Ginobili
Leonard/Belinelli
Duncan/Diaw
Splitter/Baynes

Both deeper teams in my opinion.

c.c.
05-26-2015, 08:24 PM

This

Nikeman
05-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Isn't it a bit contradictory saying JR is legit offensively when he's only doing one thing? Surely that just makes him a very good spot up shooter rather than being legit offensively?

I kinda think of a LEGIT offensive player someone who can score in a variety of ways, creating for himself and being a knockdown shooter... Maybe we just have different criteria.

As for the OP's question, that team still isn't as deep as the Warriors or Spurs (assuming they re-sign their FA's).

Curry/Livingston
Klay/Barbosa
Barnes/Iggy
Draymond/Lee
Bogut/Ezeli

Parker/Mills
Green/Ginobili
Leonard/Belinelli
Duncan/Diaw
Splitter/Baynes

Both deeper teams in my opinion.

I take JR over Ginobli, TT over Diaw, Andy V over Baynes (if he returns healthy).

AllBall
05-26-2015, 09:31 PM
A solid rotation, not what I call deep. Deep is when your second unit can easily be a legit starting 5.

tredigs
05-26-2015, 09:57 PM
A solid rotation, not what I call deep. Deep is when your second unit can easily be a legit starting 5.

Seems people say that about Golden State, but a starting lineup of...

PG: Livingston
SG: Barbosa
SF: Iggy
PF: Speights/Lee
C: Ezeli

... might win 10 games. Might. Statistically they're not a top 5 bench. And even the NBA's best bench - San Antonio - wouldn't sniff the playoffs in the East.

Just depends on your definition I guess. He's a "dangerous" offensive player and capable defender, I'll say that.

Jarvo
05-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Hell no lmao

kingkenny01
05-26-2015, 11:04 PM
No, I see warriors in five, they are the actual deepest team

Hawkeye15
05-26-2015, 11:07 PM
are you ****ing serious? There are 5 teams out west and 2 out east with deeper rosters. And I am being nice.

ManRam
05-26-2015, 11:09 PM
Certainly one of the obvious pros of this Cavs team vs. the early LeBron Heat teams. Took some time for the depth to arrive in Miami (remained questionable throughout). Depth clearly a team strength in Cleveland.

It was great watching these guys step up this series. Hope they can keep it up.

However, I know the OP tried to save face, but suggesting Delly is a "legit" NBA starter is utterly hilarious :laugh: Name me the teams he'd start on. Zero?

I disagree that Iman has proven he's a bonafied NBA starter as well, and JR to an extent. Both are close, and obviously could start on some times...just not the majority. We're just arguing over labels. All 3 fit their part on Cleveland perfectly, at least this series.

TT is a stud. Happy he's having his coming out party. Always was a fan.

FlashBolt
05-26-2015, 11:28 PM
I've come to really like Delly's game. Plays for $816,000 and plays so hard. Think about that, this guy gets paid like a bum compared to others and puts more effort than anyone else. He's gonna get paid this offseason.. teams need players like that regardless of whether they can shoot, rebound, or pass. But we need to understand the difference. This roster is much better because LeBron gives that reputation to any team.

ChI_ShIzzLe
05-26-2015, 11:31 PM
They'll only be as good as Lebron. Next year probably but at what point does Lebron finally start his decline? He's going to his 5th straight Finals meaning he's played basketball into June 5 years in a row. He's a physical freak of nature but he is human and he'll start slowing down with age eventually.

NYKalltheway
05-26-2015, 11:33 PM
Reading some of the names it's too funny as it seems like a parallel universe situation where Lebron signs for the Knicks in 2010. JR, Shump, Mozgov...