PDA

View Full Version : Scott Skiles Magic new head coach

Stunner
05-26-2015, 12:08 PM
@basketballtalk: Report: Magic will name Scott Skiles coach this week http://t.co/iP6elg1cDg

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
05-27-2015, 12:45 AM
Cricket cricket cricket

5ass
05-27-2015, 01:11 AM
Cricket cricket cricket

Nobody gives a shot about the magic lol. Seriously though this hasn't happened yet.

kobe4thewinbang
05-27-2015, 01:15 AM
Magic need a good coach. They got some hungry young bucks.

PurpleLynch
05-27-2015, 07:46 AM
I don't know if he's the right choice,but this Magic team seems legit with a very good young core(Payton,Oladipo,Vucevic,Gordon and Harris if he stays with them after free agency).
They have some good players to develop,they could be a force in the future.

Stunner
05-29-2015, 10:51 AM
@ESPNSteinLine: Story going online now: ESPN sources say Magic enter contract talks to make Scott Skiles next coach and hope to strike deal as soon as today

@ESPNSteinLine: Hearing that the Magic, if they have their way, will have a deal with Scott Skiles to be their new head coach by day's end

Scoots
05-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Wow. I guess he might not burn them out. Let's see.

Chronz
05-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Dude should maximize their defensive potential. A good get for a rebuilding team

Stunner
05-29-2015, 05:06 PM
@SportsCenter: THIS JUST IN: Magic name Scott Skiles head coach. Skiles has an overall NBA regular season record of 443-433. http://t.co/MstVonZ6th

Norm
05-29-2015, 05:08 PM
NBA Jam legend.

Ezio
05-29-2015, 05:11 PM
Should be good for Payton.

ChI_ShIzzLe
05-29-2015, 05:13 PM
So much for waiting on Thibs [emoji1]

Teeboy1487
05-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Very good hire imo. Not only he would be a good defensive coach for them but he can maximize the potential of Payton.

DaBear
05-29-2015, 05:33 PM
A poor man's Thibs. Guess it's good for a team like the Magic though.

KG2TB
05-29-2015, 05:37 PM
This is probably the most talented roster Skiles has ever coached.

5ass
05-29-2015, 06:19 PM
We will finally develop a defensive identity and organization. Hopefully he can help hide vuc on the defensive end, and help develop all of our players on that end because the potential is there. We also need to play transition offense as much as possible without sacrificing D. If he can do that, and keep the young guys motivated, i'll be very happy. The goal is play offs next year.

kozelkid
05-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Dude should maximize their defensive potential. A good get for a rebuilding team

Sums up my thoughts. He'll be great for getting them from Point A to point B (i.e. playoffs and maybe even 2nd round if they're lucky). Orlando (like Mil, Chicago, Pho) will probably get tired of him in 3-4 years, and hopefully they'll be ready to take the next step by then.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
05-29-2015, 06:58 PM
really wonder which direction we go at 5th overall

MonroeFAN
05-29-2015, 07:10 PM
I hate to sound cynical here, but it reminds me of when we hired Lawrence Frank tbh.

He had 1 winning season in his last 5 years as being a coach. To assume that he is a coach who will take a team that won 25 games last year to the playoffs any time soon is assuming a lot. I understand they're young, I like the talent Orlando has a lot. They should improve, but it's a pretty unspectacular choice in my opinion.

5ass
05-29-2015, 08:00 PM
I hate to sound cynical here, but it reminds me of when we hired Lawrence Frank tbh.

He had 1 winning season in his last 5 years as being a coach. To assume that he is a coach who will take a team that won 25 games last year to the playoffs any time soon is assuming a lot. I understand they're young, I like the talent Orlando has a lot. They should improve, but it's a pretty unspectacular choice in my opinion.

We're not counting on just coaching though. Its the individual and collective improvement of our team. I believe we are the second youngest team in the league. It wont be easy, but I can see 35-40 wins next year. Will that get us in the play offs? I don't know. The east is actually improving. Paul George, Bosh, and melo will be back. Bucks are on the rise, and somehow so are the Celtics and pistons (anyone know their record post-Smith?). I think the east will have just as many 40+ win teams next year as the west.

KnicksorBust
05-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Magic are one of the worst jobs in the NBA. Nice hire.

5ass
05-29-2015, 08:10 PM

Explain. Because I disagree. Young guys that you can help mold into the players you want. Players with great work ethic on and off the court. FO that knows how to draft, and has shown that they wont give up on a coach too quickly. Ownership always willing to spend the money.

MagicBucsSox
05-29-2015, 08:31 PM
So much for waiting on Thibs [emoji1]
He wasnt wasn't interested

MagicBucsSox
05-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Says the knicks fan lmaoooo

MagicBucsSox
05-29-2015, 08:33 PM
This is probably the most talented roster Skiles has ever coached.
This too, we need some darn shooters

KnicksorBust
05-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Explain. Because I disagree. Young guys that you can help mold into the players you want. Players with great work ethic on and off the court. FO that knows how to draft, and has shown that they wont give up on a coach too quickly. Ownership always willing to spend the money.

Sure. One of my good friends is a Magic fan. I don't believe you have a star. I love Dipo. I think his ceiling is good but at best he is what? A better Luon Deng? He can pass and defend. Offensively he has holes. Payton is similar only I have less faith that he takes the leap. Vuc is great on offense but rarely do defensively below average centers pan out for teams. Gordon besides some flashes looked like a huge miss imo. Then their pick this year is outside the top 4 where the draft takes a dip. Whatever team signs Tobias Harris will be overpaying. On a team with no franchise player and no chance to add one in the draft I am afraid they will cap out on unworthy players.

KnicksorBust
05-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Says the knicks fan lmaoooo

Signs that you don't have anything valuable to say... you troll a poster based on their username when the thread has nothing to do with their team. :)

MU and UW Fan
05-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Sums up my thoughts. He'll be great for getting them from Point A to point B (i.e. playoffs and maybe even 2nd round if they're lucky). Orlando (like Mil, Chicago, Pho) will probably get tired of him in 3-4 years, and hopefully they'll be ready to take the next step by then.

Bingo. I went to a lot of Bucks game. This is good for the Magic and Skiles. He will get them to be a good defensive team and improve overall. Just after 3 years everyone gets sick of his hard@$$ attitude and players will tune him out. He will improve the team and then after 3 years find someone else who can take them to an even higher level.

5ass
05-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Sure. One of my good friends is a Magic fan. I don't believe you have a star. I love Dipo. I think his ceiling is good but at best he is what? A better Luon Deng? He can pass and defend. Offensively he has holes. Payton is similar only I have less faith that he takes the leap. Vuc is great on offense but rarely do defensively below average centers pan out for teams. Gordon besides some flashes looked like a huge miss imo. Then their pick this year is outside the top 4 where the draft takes a dip. Whatever team signs Tobias Harris will be overpaying. On a team with no franchise player and no chance to add one in the draft I am afraid they will cap out on unworthy players.

Loul Deng? You mean in terms of impact? Yeah, I wouldn't say at best, but I think he'll be something like that. Multiple time all star, but not a franchise player sounds fair. Payton is at the very least a legit starting point guard in this league full of great PGs who like to score, and he can defend. I think if he develops a jump shot he has even more potential than dipo. In the future, I see him as a player who is a couple of steps behind prime Jason Kidd, but I'm probably more biased when it comes Payton than any other player on our team. I just love his game, and have already seen him destroy star PGs. He's as physical as any guard in the league. Gordon was a miss? Who would've been a better option? Guy showed much more than people thought he would. Can guard 1-4 and improving his shot. Went from 42 ft% in college to 72 ft% in the nba. Still the youngest guy in the league, and suffered an injury just when he was getting comfortable. A huge selling point for him in the draft was his work ethic (same with dipo and Payton). Give them time. Who knew jimmy butler would be this good? Who knew kawhi would be FMVP? Work ethic pays off.
I don't know if outside the top 4 is a drop in talent in this draft. I've heard people say porzingis, Winslow, and hezonja have just as much potential as anyone in the draft. Have you watched enough of the two euros to make that conclusion? Honestly, I haven't, but I love Winslow and think he's a legit two way star player. That is still an unknown. Don't really care for Tobias, but he's going to be a good player. Great bench player at worst IMO. Don't know what he gets in FA, but with the cap rising, even with the max it won't be a huge overpay. I think he easily deserves 11-12 mill when compared to other young up and coming players.
No we dont have any clear franchise players at the moment, but I think the league is moving away from that direction anyway and becoming more like the euro league. Look at the spurs last year, do you consider kawhi a franchise player? Or is Duncan till that guy? What about the hawks 60 win team this year? They couldn't get to the finals, but it was mostly because of their defense. Not the lack of a franchise player.
We should be able to build a nice team that plays well as a unit to find some success. Isn't that some motivation for an unemployed coach since the expectations would probably be lower than when having franchise players?

KnicksorBust
05-29-2015, 09:52 PM

Loul Deng? You mean in terms of impact? Yeah, I wouldn't say at best, but I think he'll be something like that. Multiple time all star, but not a franchise player sounds fair. Payton is at the very least a legit starting point guard in this league full of great PGs who like to score, and he can defend. I think if he develops a jump shot he has even more potential than dipo. In the future, I see him as a player who is a couple of steps behind prime Jason Kidd, but I'm probably more biased when it comes Payton than any other player on our team. I just love his game, and have already seen him destroy star PGs. He's as physical as any guard in the league. Gordon was a miss? Who would've been a better option? Guy showed much more than people thought he would. Can guard 1-4 and improving his shot. Went from 42 ft% in college to 72 ft% in the nba. Still the youngest guy in the league, and suffered an injury just when he was getting comfortable. A huge selling point for him in the draft was his work ethic (same with dipo and Payton). Give them time. Who knew jimmy butler would be this good? Who knew kawhi would be FMVP? Work ethic pays off.
I don't know if outside the top 4 is a drop in talent in this draft. I've heard people say porzingis, Winslow, and hezonja have just as much potential as anyone in the draft. Have you watched enough of the two euros to make that conclusion? Honestly, I haven't, but I love Winslow and think he's a legit two way star player. That is still an unknown. Don't really care for Tobias, but he's going to be a good player. Great bench player at worst IMO. Don't know what he gets in FA, but with the cap rising, even with the max it won't be a huge overpay. I think he easily deserves 11-12 mill when compared to other young up and coming players.
No we dont have any clear franchise players at the moment, but I think the league is moving away from that direction anyway and becoming more like the euro league. Look at the spurs last year, do you consider kawhi a franchise player? Or is Duncan till that guy? What about the hawks 60 win team this year? They couldn't get to the finals, but it was mostly because of their defense. Not the lack of a franchise player.
We should be able to build a nice team that plays well as a unit to find some success. Isn't that some motivation for an unemployed coach since the expectations would probably be lower than when having franchise players?

So much respect for this post. I am actually going turn my computer on just so I can reply again to quote this in segments and return the favor.

Bruno
05-29-2015, 09:54 PM
We will finally develop a defensive identity and organization. Hopefully he can help hide vuc on the defensive end, and help develop all of our players on that end because the potential is there. We also need to play transition offense as much as possible without sacrificing D. If he can do that, and keep the young guys motivated, i'll be very happy. The goal is play offs next year.

do you think Payton Oladipo Gordon, and Vuc will mesh? That team needs shooting help. i think you guys have to go with Winslow, right?

but lets say he develops into an excellent shooter. is that enough? in this era?

KnicksorBust
05-29-2015, 10:21 PM
Loul Deng? You mean in terms of impact? Yeah, I wouldn't say at best, but I think he'll be something like that. Multiple time all star, but not a franchise player sounds fair.

Correct. I see that as his ceiling. If he is your best player... which I believe he is... is that really enough to contend with a LeBron team?

Payton is at the very least a legit starting point guard in this league full of great PGs who like to score, and he can defend. I think if he develops a jump shot he has even more potential than dipo. In the future, I see him as a player who is a couple of steps behind prime Jason Kidd, but I'm probably more biased when it comes Payton than any other player on our team. I just love his game, and have already seen him destroy star PGs. He's as physical as any guard in the league.

That is a very strong prediction. I believe Bill Simmons loved him too. I think people underestimate how easy it is to become a perimeter threat at this point. I just don't believe it will pan out. Maybe this article made me biased?

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/01/22/elfrid-payton-perimeter-shot/

Gordon was a miss? Who would've been a better option? Guy showed much more than people thought he would. Can guard 1-4 and improving his shot. Went from 42 ft% in college to 72 ft% in the nba. Still the youngest guy in the league, and suffered an injury just when he was getting comfortable. A huge selling point for him in the draft was his work ethic (same with dipo and Payton). Give them time.

I am completely open to the possibility that this core (with the player they draft at 5) could eventually become a 50 win team. However, that is assuming the Elfrid Payton's of the world reach their potential. Gordon really doesn't have a position and despite his athleticism I believe will under-achieve as a #4 pick. Personally I would have pursued trading #4 and #10 to trade up and grab a potential franchise player to pair with Dipo.

Who knew jimmy butler would be this good? Who knew kawhi would be FMVP? Work ethic pays off.

It is a completely valid point. I would not have predicted either result. I'm curious how many players currently on the Magic do you believe that that hunger/desire to improve?

I don't know if outside the top 4 is a drop in talent in this draft. I've heard people say porzingis, Winslow, and hezonja have just as much potential as anyone in the draft.

For almost a year people have been touting Okafor/Towns/Russell/Mudiay. Over the last month those other players have gotten some attention but that is more flavor of the month than lumping them in with the top tier. There's always a chance but the smart money says the top 4 will produce more franchise players.

Have you watched enough of the two euros to make that conclusion? Honestly, I haven't, but I love Winslow and think he's a legit two way star player. That is still an unknown.

To be honest I've watched 0 live game action of either. Clips and articles. However, I can safely say if they were truly that amazing I probably would have stumbled on them significantly earlier than I did. We will see. I'm making a lot of long-term predictions here so feel free to save this post and use it against me later. lol :)

Don't really care for Tobias, but he's going to be a good player. Great bench player at worst IMO. Don't know what he gets in FA, but with the cap rising, even with the max it won't be a huge overpay. I think he easily deserves 11-12 mill when compared to other young up and coming players. No we dont have any clear franchise players at the moment, but I think the league is moving away from that direction anyway and becoming more like the euro league.

Respectfully disagree that a bench player (other than Havlicek or Manu) would ever be worth that much money.

Look at the spurs last year, do you consider kawhi a franchise player? Or is Duncan till that guy? What about the hawks 60 win team this year? They couldn't get to the finals, but it was mostly because of their defense. Not the lack of a franchise player.

Duncan is a franchise player and has been since 1997. So let's talk about the Hawks. My first argument would be that the Magic do not have an Al Horford. My second would be that the Magic do not have anything close to the spacing that players like Teague-Korver-Carroll provided. The third would be that producing that team of balanced team success is the exception not the rule.

I stand by my statement that it was one of the worst jobs in the NBA but I did say in my first post that it was a nice hire. I think it's a great fit for both the coach and the franchise. He is great candidate to get them to play to their potential. I just do not believe for a second that potential would make them a contender even in the East.

5ass
05-29-2015, 10:24 PM
do you think Payton Oladipo Gordon, and Vuc will mesh? That team needs shooting help. i think you guys have to go with Winslow, right?

but lets say he develops into an excellent shooter. is that enough? in this era?

Eventually, yes IMO. I don't know if Payton ever becomes a good shooter, but I have faith in oladipo and Gordon. They've shown improvement. Dipo has become a very good FT shooter, and improving his 3pt shot for sure. He just shot 34% at 3.5 attempts per game this year. Not bad at all IMO. Don't think it'll be hard to get to 36% in a couple of years. Remember the Tony Allen comparisons? Gordon I think will develop a decent 3 pt shot. He's a hard worker and he's not exactly practicing on his post moves, because its not his style of play. Defense is already not an issue for him. He'll still have to work on some other things, but he knows his major issue is his shooting. 42 to 72% Ft shooting in one year is a good sign though.
I'm not sure who we draft man, but I like Winslow. If I can go back in time, I wouldn't change any of our draft picks in the last 2 years. So I'm hopeful that hennigan will nail it with this draft as well.
Shooting will probably always be an issue for us, you're right there's cause for concern. Hopefully we bring the toughness and defense to offset that. Everyone of our players has to become a better 3pt shooter. Even vucevic IMO (already one of the best midrange jump shooters).

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
05-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I deff wouldn't say gordon was a miss. I mean if you watched start sheets only sure it may seem that way. But as fans we watch the games and he was electric, he was all over the floor , his energy and hustle were always top notch.

He didn't score much but he is super raw and young not to mention he battled lots of little injuries here and there. He Has lots of potential and he is a freak of natural dunk/block wise kinda like a young Blake griffin.

He deff was not a miss at all, I mean the picks after him didn't do much more IMO

Exum
Smart
Randle
Stauskas
Vonleh
Payton
Mcdermott
Saric

Noone else really screamed out we missed by taking AG ... not that AG was spectacular but of you watched you know we made the right pick

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
05-29-2015, 10:51 PM
Correct. I see that as his ceiling. If he is your best player... which I believe he is... is that really enough to contend with a LeBron team?

It is a completely valid point. I would not have predicted either result. I'm curious how many players currently on the Magic do you believe that that hunger/desire to improve?

I stand by my statement that it was one of the worst jobs in the NBA but I did say in my first post that it was a nice hire. I think it's a great fit for both the coach and the franchise. He is great candidate to get them to play to their potential. I just do not believe for a second that potential would make them a contender even in the East.

Well I wouldn't compare our team to a lebron james. And I don't think that's very fair anyway there is very few players in the NBA on that level, sure we have no one close but remember we are still early in our rebuild.

2. I mean this respectively of course but if you don't know that guys like Dipo,Payton,Gordon,Vucevic,Harris,Fournier have that hunger and that dog in them to be great or strive to be great. Then you don't know a thing about our team. And that's not a diss lol that's expected your not a magic fan. But that is our GMs MO, selfless guys who have good attitudes and are willing to do whatever they are asked and play where they are needed. And they all are insanely hungry to be great. And I think people forget how young these guys are lol I think vuc is the only one I've mentioned over 22 years old.

3. I am a homer but this gig isn't that bad ... I mean nuggets right now are the worst but we have such a good young core and tons of cap space our owners are not scared to spend. But that's just my opinion lol

5ass
05-29-2015, 10:58 PM

That is a very strong prediction. I believe Bill Simmons loved him too. I think people underestimate how easy it is to become a perimeter threat at this point. I just don't believe it will pan out. Maybe this article made me biased?

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2015/01/22/elfrid-payton-perimeter-shot/

I am completely open to the possibility that this core (with the player they draft at 5) could eventually become a 50 win team. However, that is assuming the Elfrid Payton's of the world reach their potential. Gordon really doesn't have a position and despite his athleticism I believe will under-achieve as a #4 pick. Personally I would have pursued trading #4 and #10 to trade up and grab a potential franchise player to pair with Dipo.

For almost a year people have been touting Okafor/Towns/Russell/Mudiay. Over the last month those other players have gotten some attention but that is more flavor of the month than lumping them in with the top tier. There's always a chance but the smart money says the top 4 will produce more franchise players.

To be honest I've watched 0 live game action of either. Clips and articles. However, I can safely say if they were truly that amazing I probably would have stumbled on them significantly earlier than I did. We will see. I'm making a lot of long-term predictions here so feel free to save this post and use it against me later. lol :)

Respectfully disagree that a bench player (other than Havlicek or Manu) would ever be worth that much money.

Duncan is a franchise player and has been since 1997. So let's talk about the Hawks. My first argument would be that the Magic do not have an Al Horford. My second would be that the Magic do not have anything close to the spacing that players like Teague-Korver-Carroll provided. The third would be that producing that team of balanced team success is the exception not the rule.

That article about Payton was 45 games in. He improved throughout the season. In 2014, 35 games in, he was shooting 39,17,47%. In 2015, for 47 games he shot 44,33,60%. He was horrible at the beginning of the season, but improved and gained A LOT more confidence. I'm a believer.

I'm not going to argue too much about the draft, because I haven't watched extensive footage on any of the rookies, but from what I've seen the top 4 don't impress me all that much. I think towns will be exposed for being less athletic than he seemed in college. I don't think he'll be a franchise player. People keep saying Russell is the next Curry, but do they realise Curry is the best shooter of all time? Okafor I have probably more faith in him than the others, but he still has a weakness in hid defenses, and that might hold him back from being one of the most dominant big men in the game. mudiay I will not comment on because I haven't seen enough.

11-12 mill for Tobias, but you're also paying for potential to be a very good starter. He's only 22 years old. We don't know what he'll become. In a few years that contract could be a bargain. Bench players will be making that kind of money anyway when the cap goes up. It would be basically equivalent to 8 mill under the current cap.

I'm not comparing rosters with the hawks. Obviously sly they have better shooting, we'll play a completely different style. We need to play defenses, transition offense and attack the rim. I think dipo and Payton are like top 15 in players who attack the rim.

I'm not expecting a dynasty, but hopefully the toughness and the long window for success gets us to the holy land. This core might stay together for the next 10+ years.

Ezio
05-30-2015, 12:32 AM
The league is not moving away from a star driven league.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
05-30-2015, 12:54 AM
No one said it was

I mean if we have this young core of talent and in 2-3 years there still around as a solid unit a star may want to come play with that supporting cast

Sadds The Gr8
05-30-2015, 12:59 AM
NBA Jam legend.

lol YES.

My team was Portland. Drexler/Porter = GOAT

5ass
05-30-2015, 01:23 AM
The league is not moving away from a star driven league.

I'm talking about the franchise player superstars. I think its slowly becoming easier to win without one than in the past. JMO

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
05-30-2015, 08:56 AM
https://amp.twimg.com/v/f8edd7ae-34ca-4ae6-8212-63c670f67e41

SpeeMN
05-30-2015, 10:57 AM
I wanted to say that this Magic team has me interested. I think Vuc will get better and be a nice foundation below. I have not watched any of their games but I always checked in on the stat lines. Tobias seems like a great young player, but you guys don't seem too interested in retaining him. I like your guards. I see this team in the playoffs in 2 years. It is the Eastern Conference. Skiles has a lot to work with, including your young bench players.

And I can't see you passing on Winslow, he might be the best in the draft!

Norm
05-30-2015, 12:19 PM
lol YES.

My team was Portland. Drexler/Porter = GOAT
I rocked Skiles hard. I made a real arcade machine years ago just so I could play it more.

That game was the king

Scoots
05-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Thinking about it maybe Skiles is the perfect coach for the Magic. I just hope they don't keep him too long as while he can help change the culture and develop the defenders he can also sour people and wear out his welcome.

5ass
05-30-2015, 06:25 PM
I wanted to say that this Magic team has me interested. I think Vuc will get better and be a nice foundation below. I have not watched any of their games but I always checked in on the stat lines. Tobias seems like a great young player, but you guys don't seem too interested in retaining him. I like your guards. I see this team in the playoffs in 2 years. It is the Eastern Conference. Skiles has a lot to work with, including your young bench players.

And I can't see you passing on Winslow, he might be the best in the draft!

Tobias' problems are still his chucking, defense and his off the ball play. Though he's improved, he's not an ideal fit in our starting line up. We'd do better with a 3&D player. We have Payton and dipo who need the ball in their hands. Then we have vuc who needs his touches. Off the bench we have someone who I think will be an even better player than Tobias in Evan Fournier. Fournier also needs the ball because he's a very smart decision maker with the ball in his hands. He can play without the ball (though needs improvement), its just that you want the ball in his hands for the second unit.

I want Winslow, but there are potentially better fits in porzingis (shooting, off the ball play, and rim protection), hezonja (off the ball play and shooting), WCS (rim protection). Hennigan drafted oladipo and Gordon when no one thought he would so I wouldn't be surprised if we draft someone unexpected.