PDA

View Full Version : NYPD Broke Sefolosha's Leg: Where is the coverage?

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Came across this article today:
http://m.thenation.com/blog/208009-nba-player-missing-playoffs-because-nypd-broke-his-leg-why-sports-media-silence

I thought this was particularly poignant. With several 24-hour sports channels covering sports 24-hours a day and starving for an actual narrative to speak about, and rehashing trivial narratives, it seems that this story is being intentionally ignored. I mean, James Harden going out to a bar in between games and Steph Curry bringing his kid to a press conference seems to get more attention to this, and neither impacts that actually game like this story does.

Sefolosha is not an offensive juggernaut, but range spreads the floor, and his defense has been key to the Hawks success. So why is the fact that he's missing the playoffs because of an injury caused by what seems to be fairly categorized as police brutality not being discussed more

UPDATE:
http://www.thenation.com/blog/204425/police-story-unravels-how-did-nypd-break-nba-players-leg?_ga=1.28100468.912584132.1432491906

Police claim that Sefolosha refused to leave the scene and charged an officer; video shows arrest taking place over a block away from the scene and witness say an officer followed Sefolosha as he walked away from the scene.

Scoots
05-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Because police brutality is passe?

Vinylman
05-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Has the DA dropped the charges against Sefolosha at this point?

lakerfan85
05-24-2015, 12:20 PM
It's not like he would make a difference in this series..

Scoots
05-24-2015, 12:48 PM
It's not like he would make a difference in this series..

He would make a difference ... but probably not enough of a difference to change the winner.

DarkKnight
05-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Ha ha bad things happen when your out in the weee hours of the night .. What did the team do? Sure he has a curfew

TrueFan420
05-24-2015, 01:44 PM
This is the first I've heard of this. Damn that's messed up.

Cracka2HI!
05-24-2015, 01:59 PM
I don't think resisting arrest is the same as police brutality but I agree it would seem this story should be getting more attention.

Andrew32
05-24-2015, 02:27 PM
I don't think resisting arrest is the same as police brutality but I agree it would seem this story should be getting more attention.

I'll admit the story bothered me.
I mean he didn't have a weapon on him and there were numerous cops around.
Why did they have to be so rough with him that they'd break his leg?

Police shouldn't be given so much authority that they can order people around casually as they please and arrest people who don't obey their every word.
I mean its one thing to arrest or detain real criminals. Its another thing to boss around or lord over innocent civilians.
When I was younger one of my friends got caught with a small 20$ baggy of weed and the police took him to jail and finger printed him. I mean all that for a lil bag of weed? That didn't seem right to me.

I think the prison system is also outdated and a higher level society would rid themselves of it.
Human beings do not belong in cages for long periods of time no matter what they did.
That is imo cruel and unusual punishment. Torture for the soul and mind.
Maybe certain foreign prisons aren't as bad (and the sentences are usually shorter) but where I live prison conditions are terrible.

Maybe death sentence for the really bad guys (child molesters) and give the rest short sentences for some rehab island where they can be away from society for a time but not as animals in cages.
I know I would probably rather face a firing squad then spend more then a handful of years in a real prison.

Tony_Starks
05-24-2015, 02:36 PM
At least he lived to tell about it. Usually they would've just shot, sprinkled crack on the body, and said another open and shut case......

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2015, 04:25 PM

Video camera evidence and witness testimony seems to suggest the police's interpretation of events was not accurate. I am reluctant to say 'resisting arrest'. Besides, I've seen enough instances of video taped confrontation where simply asking why one is being stopped is called 'resisting'.

Two sides to every story, so I am reluctant to call this 'police brutality', but I'm an even more reluctant to call this 'resisting arrest'.

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2015, 04:30 PM

http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/10/thabo-sefolosha-arrest-video-nypd-officer-swing-baton/

Here's the video. Sefolosha was on the ground with four or five cops holding onto him when the baton was racked across his legs. It wasn't needed, and coupled with that an entire crowd of WITNESSES were telling the police that these people did nothing. Nobody was running away. A conversation would have been more appropriate, but the police seem to want to whip out the handcuffs first. And when multiple police are holding Sefolosha down, some cop just takes a free shot with a Baton?

Also, the other guy on the scene wasn't put in cuffs. The police were just talking with him. Is there a reason they didn't give Seflosha the same treatment when a hoard of witnesses were all saying he hadn't done anything?

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Police shouldn't be given so much authority that they can order people around casually as they please and arrest people who don't obey their every word.
I mean its one thing to arrest or detain real criminals. Its another thing to boss around or lord over innocent civilians.
When I was younger one of my friends got caught with a small 20$ baggy of weed and the police took him to jail and finger printed him. I mean all that for a lil bag of weed? That didn't seem right to me.

I think the prison system is also outdated and a higher level society would rid themselves of it.
Human beings do not belong in cages for long periods of time no matter what they did.
Maybe certain foreign prisons aren't as bad (and the sentences are usually shorter) but where I live prison conditions are terrible.

Maybe death sentence for the really bad guys (child molesters) and give the rest short sentences for some rehab island where they can be away from society for a time but not as animals in cages.
I know I would probably rather face a firing squad then spend more then a handful of years in a real prison.

+1

What bothers mean is that he wasn't running away. He wasn't fighting. He was yelling or threatening, and a crowd of witnesses were shouting that he hadn't done anything. And when he was hit, he was on the ground with three officers on top of him when a fourth brought out the baton. Me while the other guy they wanted to question was allowed to just sit and talk with police without being put in handcuffs. What's the reason for that?

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2015, 04:34 PM
At least he lived to tell about it. Usually they would've just shot, sprinkled crack on the body, and said another open and shut case......

I wish I could laugh at that, but it's so close to being true.

nastynice
05-24-2015, 06:06 PM
This is the first I've heard of this. Damn that's messed up.

X2. OP is 100% correct, we hear about stupid crap like James harden was chillin with friends and Currys daughter, yet this is first I'm hearing of this too

ewing
05-24-2015, 06:41 PM
LeBron own the cops/media/refs :shrug:

goingfor28
05-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Prob bc he and Antic are easily 2 and 3x bigger than all the cops involved. They had to overdo it to show authority. Antic should've knocked each of them out.

cahawk
05-25-2015, 03:25 PM
This is a disturbing story & only reason I can think it is not getting more press is the NBA thinks it hurts image.
Makes me think if this can happen to an NBA player what would happen to me?

jerellh528
05-25-2015, 03:30 PM
This is a disturbing story & only reason I can think it is not getting more press is the NBA thinks it hurts image.
Makes me think if this can happen to an NBA player what would happen to me?

Just don't resist or physically try to evade cops and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Scoots
05-25-2015, 04:43 PM

Supposedly Thabo didn't resist or try to evade them.

I'm white and politely tried to ask some cops a question about what they were doing and got a baton to the forearm and hip and was put on the ground with a knee in the back, I was later let up and shoved and told to make myself scarce. It's not always race that's the issue, and it's not always behavior either ... some cops are just out of control.

jerellh528
05-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Supposedly Thabo didn't resist or try to evade them.

I'm white and politely tried to ask some cops a question about what they were doing and got a baton to the forearm and hip and was put on the ground with a knee in the back, I was later let up and shoved and told to make myself scarce. It's not always race that's the issue, and it's not always behavior either ... some cops are just out of control.

If you watched the video he was clearly trying to resist. The person he was with didnt and was treated accordingly. I'm sure you politely asked a question and for nothing got a baton to the forearm, but there's two sides to every story, every single interaction my family, friends, or I've ever been in with police officers have ended up fine besides the occasional ticket or whatever. There are probably a few bad apples in there, but most officers would rather not put their life or job in jeopardy just because they feel like abusing someone that day. Imagine if you could be shot at any moment during your job, it would put u a bit on edge with unruly people.

sep11ie
05-25-2015, 05:29 PM
This happened over a month ago. It was a big story when it came out.

Scoots
05-25-2015, 07:07 PM
If you watched the video he was clearly trying to resist. The person he was with didnt and was treated accordingly. I'm sure you politely asked a question and for nothing got a baton to the forearm, but there's two sides to every story, every single interaction my family, friends, or I've ever been in with police officers have ended up fine besides the occasional ticket or whatever. There are probably a few bad apples in there, but most officers would rather not put their life or job in jeopardy just because they feel like abusing someone that day. Imagine if you could be shot at any moment during your job, it would put u a bit on edge with unruly people.

I totally agree. I think the VAST majority of cops are good people doing a hard job. Part of what I was trying to say is that to paint it always as a race issue is wrong ... sometimes it's just cops out of control. From what I saw and heard about the Thabo incident (have not seen much video, don't know what all is out there), it looked like the police were in a heightened state acted first and over-reacted to his resistance. Being a cop is a hard job and making the right calls all the time is essentially impossible, but they need to be trained to back off rather than confront more often than they do. It's just not worth escalating most situations to this degree.

JasonJohnHorn
05-25-2015, 10:49 PM

Yeah, that worked out great for Amadou Diallo. What was that? 41 shots?

The bottom line is that the cops in Sefolasha's case lied. They said he refused to leave the scene of a stabbing at a night club, yet they arrested him over a block away from the scene. Sefo left the scene as instructed and was followed by the cops. There was a boat load of witness telling the cops he hadn't done anything, and that guy that struck him with the baton did so when Sefolasha was on the ground and had three cops on him.

And cops don't get a free pass just because a guy gets anxious to get handcuffs put on him when he hasn't done anything. It's easy enough for you to say "Just let the police violate your rights and you'll be okay", but wait until you are in a situation like that. The instinct to defend yourself is biological, and Sefolosha did a pretty good job of reigning that in.

Besides, if you ask me to believe a guy who has a stand-up record, and an organization who has paid out close to have a billion dollars in police brutality, and human rights violations, I'm going to believe the guy who's been a stand up guy over an organization that kills people because they thought he was selling loose cigarettes.

This didn't happen in a vacuum.

2-ONE-5
05-26-2015, 10:00 AM

this is ridiculous.

ewing
05-26-2015, 10:20 AM

i'm not a fan of making any animal live in a cage

Cracka2HI!
05-26-2015, 11:35 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/10/thabo-sefolosha-arrest-video-nypd-officer-swing-baton/

Here's the video. Sefolosha was on the ground with four or five cops holding onto him when the baton was racked across his legs. It wasn't needed, and coupled with that an entire crowd of WITNESSES were telling the police that these people did nothing. Nobody was running away. A conversation would have been more appropriate, but the police seem to want to whip out the handcuffs first. And when multiple police are holding Sefolosha down, some cop just takes a free shot with a Baton?

Also, the other guy on the scene wasn't put in cuffs. The police were just talking with him. Is there a reason they didn't give Seflosha the same treatment when a hoard of witnesses were all saying he hadn't done anything?

I believe I saw a much longer video that clearly shows Thabo interfere with the police investigation and then resist arrest. He was basically standing right where the police were trying to create a perimeter and refused to move. He got hostile when they tried to arrest and ended up with a broken leg. I could be wrong. I think the big reason this isn't a big story is that it's a non story. A man interfered with a police investigation and ended up with a broken leg. That kind of stuff happens all the time and I don't blame the police for it.

JasonJohnHorn
05-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I believe I saw a much longer video that clearly shows Thabo interfere with the police investigation and then resist arrest. He was basically standing right where the police were trying to create a perimeter and refused to move. He got hostile when they tried to arrest and ended up with a broken leg. I could be wrong. I think the big reason this isn't a big story is that it's a non story. A man interfered with a police investigation and ended up with a broken leg. That kind of stuff happens all the time and I don't blame the police for it.

That narrative sounds consistent with the police reports, but it doesn't sound consistent with witness reports or the video that was released. I'd be happy to take a look at the other video if you have link.

Given that Sefolosha's lawyers are fully expecting the charges to be dropped (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/hawks-sefolosha-in-great-pain-blames-new-york-police-for-injuries/article23963856/), and the NYPD is doing an internal investigation (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/04/16/lebron-james-john-wall-react-to-devastating-thabo-sefolosha-injury-nypd-arrest/), it seems like there is no clear evidence that suggests any wrong doing on Sefolosha's part.

I obviously don't have all the evidence, but given the pattern of behviour of the police in general, and the police in NY specifically (they essentially they are in 'wartime': http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/21/two-nypd-cops-killed-wartime-police-protesters), I'm inclined to side with Sefolosha. Maybe if people on that force weren't killing people for allegedly selling cigarettes, and maybe if Sefolosha had a rep as somebody who broke the law, I might look at it a different way.

As I said, this isn't an event that happened in a vacuum. There is a broader context. Sefolosha, as far as reports in the past go, has been nothing short of a stand up citizen. The NYPD has paid out HUNDREDS of millions of dollars for civil rights violations and police brutality in the last five years alone. If you are being reasonable, then there is no reason to assume the police are being honest and forth coming in this situation.

kdspurman
05-29-2015, 03:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12975905/thabo-sefolosha-atlanta-hawks-says-arrest-hurt-reputation