PDA

View Full Version : Is Steph Curry the best shooter of all time?

lamzoka
05-24-2015, 06:45 AM
As far as shooting goes, this kid have 0 weakness... He's definitely better than Ray Allen and Reggie Miller.

What do you guys think?

Iron24th
05-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Yes you have to wonder, the guy is ridiculous, making circus shots after circus shots.

KnicksorBust
05-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Yes. Reggie, Ray, Kerr, Korver, etc played as SG. For him to be this accurate while being the primary ball handler is absurd. Then throw in the fact that his range is as deep as any shooter I have seen. He is a threat once he brings the ball over half court. Everything points to the answer being yes.

Hangtime
05-24-2015, 09:03 AM
The guy has one of the quickest releases I have ever seen and he shoots it with consistency. Ray Allen had a quick trigger too but he often used screens or scrambled to get open. This dude will create his own space and shoot right over the out stretched tip of a taller defender's hand. Its money. I don't think anyone compares and its early in his career.

Dade County
05-24-2015, 09:18 AM
If he can keep on doing this for another 5 more years; then maybe he would have set himself apart from other little men that were known to score (maybe go down as the best ever).

And to answer your question, yes he can shoot... But lets see him do it, when his team is down and a series on the line...etc

I believe if Curry & Ai had to defend each other, I see both of them making each other look pretty stupid. Both scoring 38pts on each other, but in totally different ways.

cvburg
05-24-2015, 09:25 AM
The way I look at a shooter is if I ask myself "if said player pulls up from 35, would it honestly be a bad shot?" With him no If im his coach him taking any shot is the best option for our team.....so yes best shooter ever, or atleast I have ever seen(30)

IKnowHoops
05-24-2015, 09:46 AM
I dont think we need to wait any longer to say it. Yes...best shooter ever.

ewing
05-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Yes. Reggie, Ray, Kerr, Korver, etc played as SG. For him to be this accurate while being the primary ball handler is absurd. Then throw in the fact that his range is as deep as any shooter I have seen. He is a threat once he brings the ball over half court. Everything points to the answer being yes.

when comes to pure range i still give the nod to guys like Chick Person and Dennis Scott. That said there bombs were always stand still. Overall, its definitely Curry though.

PraiseJesus
05-24-2015, 10:07 AM
There is something so satisfying to me reading threads like this.

Where are all the people that were saying Deron Williams, Drose, and CP3 were light years better than Curry???

But yes, Curry is easily the best shooter of all time and I believe has a shot to be the plain best player of all time.

-That's a tall order going up against Jordan. In fact, nearly impossible. CUrry would probably have to go 7-0 in finals appearances....

I would be happy with the 'most skilled player' of all time. Hes definitely that

Vampirate
05-24-2015, 10:15 AM
The only thing as un-guardable as Curry shooting is probably Dirk shooting.

Sly Guy
05-24-2015, 10:22 AM
I never thought I'd see as good a shooter from the PG position as Nash was in phoenix, but curry is better.

For some reason, the 'look' of his shot, doesn't agree with me, but holy crap, he just makes, and makes, and makes.

TheNumber37
05-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Percentage wise, probably not. But, overall, Yes.

Ray Allen ran off screens and at best he good knock em down in Pick and Roll situations.

Curry's release is quicker, and he gets free like Ray Allen off the ball, but can also Pick and Roll or just dribble and create space. His passing ability makes him tougher to guard than Ray. I don't think he's a better passer than Nash, but his speed, athleticism and ball handling all exceed Nash.

tredigs
05-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Who's #2?

effen5
05-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Curry is the best....I mean he's just ridiculous at this point...and he's just a kid still. He'll be in this league a very long time.

Scoots
05-24-2015, 11:26 AM
I never thought I'd see as good a shooter from the PG position as Nash was in phoenix, but curry is better.

For some reason, the 'look' of his shot, doesn't agree with me, but holy crap, he just makes, and makes, and makes.

Probably because it's nearly a set shot. He just gets the ball up and out of his hand as quickly as he can because he's always shooting over bigger men.

Sly Guy
05-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Probably because it's nearly a set shot. He just gets the ball up and out of his hand as quickly as he can because he's always shooting over bigger men.

I used to say the same about his dad when he played for my raps....It's not pretty but it works. Honestly, him and AD, I'm having so much fun as a fan of the game as a whole watching these two go through their careers.

TylerSL
05-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Yes, easily the greatest ever. That's an insane statement, but at this point it's just true. The only name that needs to be mentioned next to his is Ray Allen and he's broke Allen's single season 3 point record two times already. By the time he calls it a career he'll probably be #1-5, and have a couple other top 10 in single season 3 pointers made.

But making 3's isn't just what makes him great, it's how accurate he is. He shot .487 from the floor this year and basically half his shots were 3 pointers (he averaged 16.8 shots/game, 8.1 3's per game). He is a career .440 3 point shooter, currently 3rd best all time. He is the greatest shooter and he is showing us all we are about to have a new face of the NBA.

What's crazy is this guys fell to #7 in the draft :laugh2:

dhopisthename
05-24-2015, 02:15 PM
when you combine his ability with the volume and the fact that he creates many of his own shots, I am not sure its really that close.

BKLYNpigeon
05-24-2015, 02:38 PM
F the record book. If he retired today, he would be the greatest shooter of all time.

BKLYNpigeon
05-24-2015, 02:39 PM
It's crazy that curry will only be making 11mil next season. Lol

Ezio
05-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Is an orange orange?

bgdreton
05-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Yes, this thread is one of the few threads that it's honestly not even close. Curry just like Lebron is a type of player we have never seen before. His handles are top tier, his finishing with both hands is top tier his passing is up there. He has floaters, finger rolls, scoop shoots, step backs, pull ups I could just go on and on. Really it wasnt that crazy that he said he was the best offensive player in the league.

bgdreton
05-24-2015, 03:34 PM
He is easily the most skilled in the league as well.

asandhu23
05-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Curry is the best....I mean he's just ridiculous at this point...and he's just a kid still. He'll be in this league a very long time.

Guy's 27. Not exactly a kid.

sep11ie
05-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Now that this thread was made he will soon be as hated as LBJ.

JasonJohnHorn
05-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Too small a sample. That said, he's putting up legendary numbers. If he retired tomorrow he's rank pretty high, but you need to do this consistently for 8-12 years before you are in the convo with Miller and Allen, and more importantly Bird. Bird put up 90/50/40 at a time when the 3-point line was just introduced and it was a rare skill set for a player to have. Guys are brought up practicing that now because it is a huge part of the game, but guys in the 80's were just getting use to it. Because it is a lower percentage shot and was only worth 2, guys didn't practice it because no coach in his right mind was going to run those plays a lot. Now kids are raised on those shots and practice them non-stop. The fact that Bird was doing that when guys were still adapting to that part of the game... so far ahead of his time.

That said, if you were ranking best single-season shooting performances, Curry would have two or three in the top ten.

90/50/40 is pretty rare. But I think when you look at Durant and Bird, who also did that, they had a higher volume of shots, so those single seasons would be near the top of the list.

Dade County
05-24-2015, 04:40 PM

lol

But i feel that if KD was healthy, this thread might not have even been made, because Okc would be up in the series.

But Curry is doing his thing.

Sadds The Gr8
05-24-2015, 04:45 PM
I've only been watching since the end of Jordan's era but he's also the best backboard user i've ever seen. some of his bank layups are ****ing ridiculous.

ewing
05-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Who's #2?

reggie miller

SteveZissou
05-24-2015, 04:50 PM

No. Because annoying fan boys don't bring him up every thread.
No. Because annoying fan boys weren't crowning him all everything before it was due.
No. Because fans of steph aren't just fans of steph. They are warriors fans. Or other teams fans that are giving the guy his deserved due. He's amazing. And awe inspiring right now.

bgdreton
05-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Too small a sample. That said, he's putting up legendary numbers. If he retired tomorrow he's rank pretty high, but you need to do this consistently for 8-12 years before you are in the convo with Miller and Allen, and more importantly Bird. Bird put up 90/50/40 at a time when the 3-point line was just introduced and it was a rare skill set for a player to have. Guys are brought up practicing that now because it is a huge part of the game, but guys in the 80's were just getting use to it. Because it is a lower percentage shot and was only worth 2, guys didn't practice it because no coach in his right mind was going to run those plays a lot. Now kids are raised on those shots and practice them non-stop. The fact that Bird was doing that when guys were still adapting to that part of the game... so far ahead of his time.

That said, if you were ranking best single-season shooting performances, Curry would have two or three in the top ten.

90/50/40 is pretty rare. But I think when you look at Durant and Bird, who also did that, they had a higher volume of shots, so those single seasons would be near the top of the list.

Stop just stop Curry just missed 50 by percentage points. The looks he creates are much different than any other player ever. He shoots step back threes like it's a freethrow. I will say he needs more years to have all time stats to back this but the eye test he is clearly the best.

blahblahyoutoo
05-24-2015, 08:03 PM

not unless he gets as cocky as lebron.

L8kers4life
05-24-2015, 08:19 PM

Not unless he has a decision announcement and a pep rally.. Curry is the man..

maddBat
05-24-2015, 08:48 PM
easiest poll ever. was wondering when his hot hand would die down, its lasted all season into the playoffs. UNHEARD OF!

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2015, 08:52 PM
I can't think of anyone that could be legitimately better. As far as the sample size, didn't he just break his own record for three's. Even if he retires tomorrow nobody cracks the bottom of the net better or has. It would be a better discussion talking about who number two would be.

bucketss
05-24-2015, 08:56 PM
i once thought dwight was too lovable to be hated, now hes one of the most hate in the league. so i wouldn't be surprised if curry gets some hate soon.

LakerShow
05-24-2015, 09:25 PM
i once thought dwight was too lovable to be hated, now hes one of the most hate in the league. so i wouldn't be surprised if curry gets some hate soon.

Dwight is a clown and a loser. One of the reasons why he is hated. Curry in the other hand, he is humble and not a clown.

NYKalltheway
05-24-2015, 09:39 PM
He's definitely one of the best shooters of all time, but I think we underrate the difficulty of a catch & shoot situation and overestimate the difficulty of being able to hit a three after a teammate provides a screen. Standard SGs 3 point shot vs standard PG 3 point shot that is. Being a ball handler actually makes it easier to hit threes imo as there's more focus and priority from teammates to get him free while the SGs must run all over the place to get into a free spot.

Curry shoots more 3's than anyone else too iirc, so he relies a lot more on his 3 point shooting than guys like Reggie Miller who for some odd reason are considered pure shooters.

He's a 3pt legend already and will probably end up his career as the best shooter ever but at the moment, I'd still take Reggie over him.

Scoots
05-24-2015, 10:05 PM
He's definitely one of the best shooters of all time, but I think we underrate the difficulty of a catch & shoot situation and overestimate the difficulty of being able to hit a three after a teammate provides a screen. Standard SGs 3 point shot vs standard PG 3 point shot that is. Being a ball handler actually makes it easier to hit threes imo as there's more focus and priority from teammates to get him free while the SGs must run all over the place to get into a free spot.

Curry shoots more 3's than anyone else too iirc, so he relies a lot more on his 3 point shooting than guys like Reggie Miller who for some odd reason are considered pure shooters.

He's a 3pt legend already and will probably end up his career as the best shooter ever but at the moment, I'd still take Reggie over him.

I'm a Reggie fan but I don't see any reason to take Miller over Curry (other than the emotional memory of a Knicks fan :) ). Curry hits a higher percentage of catch and shoot situations than pull up 3s IIRC.

JNA17
05-24-2015, 10:16 PM

Nah. I have no problem calling Curry the greatest shooter ever. Although it's pretty close between him and Nash IMO but Curry has a very valid argument.

He's also not a prick like Lebron so no way will he ever be hated as much as him.

odiz
05-24-2015, 10:28 PM
And to answer your question, yes he can shoot... But lets see him do it, when his team is down and a series on the line...etc

You mean like when they were down 2-1, playing on the road, against one of the best defensive teams in the league and he dropped 33?

FlashBolt
05-24-2015, 10:34 PM
He's easily the best shooter IMO. The frequency and rate he is connecting on those shots is crazy. No one in NBA history has done it the way he has. Reggie was a great shotmaker but never the way we've seen Curry launch them. The NBA has never seen anything like this.. I think in our lifetime, we'll never see another player like Curry. He just throws it up and more than likely, you can book it.

bgdreton
05-24-2015, 10:44 PM

Yea Reggie is nice but nothing stat wise says he is better tho. Curry is not only beating ever 3pt record ever he is demolishing them. Catch and shoot is not easier than off the dribble. Honestly that leads me to believe you have never played at a high level. I'm not trying to be a dick but Currys difficulty is much higher than any other player ever. Yet he still has a better shooting percentage than most. It clearly obvious and it's not close.

allSUAVE
05-25-2015, 12:42 PM
He puts all the other so call sharp shooters to shame .Curry is that great!!

NYKalltheway
05-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Yea Reggie is nice but nothing stat wise says he is better tho. Curry is not only beating ever 3pt record ever he is demolishing them. Catch and shoot is not easier than off the dribble. Honestly that leads me to believe you have never played at a high level. I'm not trying to be a dick but Currys difficulty is much higher than any other player ever. Yet he still has a better shooting percentage than most. It clearly obvious and it's not close.

I've played and I've even coached and worked for a professional team. Numbers are nice but it's not all about the shooting % as they come in different circumstances.

If we switched the shooting situations of Reggie and Curry throughout their careers, Reggie would have a higher % and Curry a lower %. What we can't really say is whether Reggie > Curry or Curry > Reggie based on such a scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtLgRE6NPo
I didn't bother counting, but most of his shots seem to be off the dribble (if you're a good dribbler, that's the 2nd easiest range shot you'll get) and spot ups*.

* by "catch & shoot" in Reggie's account I mean, RUN away from your man, get free and shoot a three off balance. Not the spot up sort of catch and shoot that Curry has much more of.

Steph Curry seems to me like a very very very improved version of Dana Barros. Also has elements in his range that remind me of Mark Price, but again, Curry is addicted to the 3 and shoots more 3 than anything else while Mark Price shot probably 1/4 of his shots beyond the line.
Reggie is a whole different player and is harder to be Reggie than Curry imo, hence why Reggie is a player I rate higher as a shooter.

basch152
05-25-2015, 12:46 PM

Yeah, that's ridiculous.

I play in leagues and I'm used pretty much exclusively to stand on the 3pt line and shoot threes when the ball gets passed to me. I practice my shot for hours every day, one of the best shooters around.

I can tell you with complete certainty that shooting off the dribble is a thousand times harder than catch and shoot.

NYKalltheway
05-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Yeah, that's ridiculous.

I play in leagues and I'm used pretty much exclusively to stand on the 3pt line and shoot threes when the ball gets passed to me. I practice my shot for hours every day, one of the best shooters around.

I can tell you with complete certainty that shooting off the dribble is a thousand times harder than catch and shoot.

I wasn't referring to the spot up catch&shoot as I clarified in the post above yours.

You guys probably never watched Reggie's crazy catch & shoot off balance fade away three attempts...

PraiseJesus
05-25-2015, 01:06 PM
I see James Harden gave the one no vote in this poll

That guy is so bitter

KnicksorBust
05-25-2015, 01:51 PM
I've played and I've even coached and worked for a professional team. Numbers are nice but it's not all about the shooting % as they come in different circumstances.

If we switched the shooting situations of Reggie and Curry throughout their careers, Reggie would have a higher % and Curry a lower %. What we can't really say is whether Reggie > Curry or Curry > Reggie based on such a scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtLgRE6NPo
I didn't bother counting, but most of his shots seem to be off the dribble (if you're a good dribbler, that's the 2nd easiest range shot you'll get) and spot ups*.

* by "catch & shoot" in Reggie's account I mean, RUN away from your man, get free and shoot a three off balance. Not the spot up sort of catch and shoot that Curry has much more of.

Steph Curry seems to me like a very very very improved version of Dana Barros. Also has elements in his range that remind me of Mark Price, but again, Curry is addicted to the 3 and shoots more 3 than anything else while Mark Price shot probably 1/4 of his shots beyond the line.
Reggie is a whole different player and is harder to be Reggie than Curry imo, hence why Reggie is a player I rate higher as a shooter.

You honestly think Reggie Miller would have made a higher percentage of 3's if he handled the ball more like a PG?

Bring The Heat
05-25-2015, 01:55 PM
I been watching basketball since the early 90s and I'll tell you right now Steph curry is the best shooter of all time.. And like somebody said before he's doing most of it off the dribble which is 20x harder than coming off a screen or catching and shooting. He creates his own shots which miller didn't do much. Not to take away how great he was but curry is on another level. He is crossing dudes over and shooting with his hand in his face 5 feet beyond the three point line and drilling it with accuracy. We honestly never seen a player like Steph he is special

lol, please
05-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Yes and it's not close.

SLY WILLIAMS
05-25-2015, 02:28 PM
It would be hard to argue against Curry but hard to say absolute best for sure as well. I'd say top 1-5 for sure and that the slots could be debated.

basch152
05-25-2015, 02:29 PM
I wasn't referring to the spot up catch&shoot as I clarified in the post above yours.

You guys probably never watched Reggie's crazy catch & shoot off balance fade away three attempts...

Do you seriously honestly think that's a harder shot than Curry dribbling, creating space, then shooting over the outstretched hands of what is almost always a taller defender? Like, are you serious right now?

It's not even close.

sammyvine
05-25-2015, 04:14 PM
How the hell did he fall to 7th in the draft?

Ricky Rubio was taken ahead of him? Wow

Scoots
05-25-2015, 04:39 PM

Thank the gods of bad scouting ... Jonny Flynn was drafted ahead of Curry! And Thabeet was drafted ahead of Harden and Curry.

SLY WILLIAMS
05-25-2015, 04:45 PM
The Knicks wanted him bad at #8. It almost felt like Nelson was against us when he took him at #7. We ended up with Jordan Hill instead.

Scoots
05-25-2015, 05:03 PM
I was hoping for him to fall to 7, I knew he was gone at 8 and supposedly Steph and his Dad wanted the Knicks. I was elated when the T-Wolves drafted 2 PGs before Curry (and Ty Lawson later in the SAME draft). I was laughing like an idiot.

NYKalltheway
05-25-2015, 09:21 PM
You honestly think Reggie Miller would have made a higher percentage of 3's if he handled the ball more like a PG?

In this era? Yes. In his time, no way. But Reggie's shots were harder than Curry's. I still think Curry will end up as the best of all time, but at the moment he's not. At the moment he's very similar to Mark Price, putting better numbers - maybe due to volume.

JasonJohnHorn
05-25-2015, 10:51 PM

John Flynn was taken ahead of him.

I remember there was word he might go top three. He dropped pretty far.

JasonJohnHorn
05-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Stop just stop Curry just missed 50 by percentage points. The looks he creates are much different than any other player ever. He shoots step back threes like it's a freethrow. I will say he needs more years to have all time stats to back this but the eye test he is clearly the best.

He didn't miss it at all. He got 90/50/40 this year. And was VERY close in his sophomore season. I'd already put him in the top ten... for greatest I just need to see a few more seasons of this.

This past season and his sophmore season are two of the best shooting seasons EVER. and 2014 and 2012 are close behind.

I'm not saying he's not already one of the best. Like you, I just want to see more years.

bgdreton
05-25-2015, 11:15 PM

In this era? Yes. In his time, no way. But Reggie's shots were harder than Curry's. I still think Curry will end up as the best of all time, but at the moment he's not. At the moment he's very similar to Mark Price, putting better numbers - maybe due to volume.

Wait so you are comparing Steph Curry to Mark Price? What numbers are you looking for so he is not compared to him?

slashsnake
05-25-2015, 11:52 PM
He didn't miss it at all. He got 90/50/40 this year. And was VERY close in his sophomore season. I'd already put him in the top ten... for greatest I just need to see a few more seasons of this.

This past season and his sophmore season are two of the best shooting seasons EVER. and 2014 and 2012 are close behind.

I'm not saying he's not already one of the best. Like you, I just want to see more years.

Same.. I want to see more, but on the other side... I will say I've never seen anyone shoot as well as him. We all talk about all these great shooters, but I have never seen anyone that can create a high percentage look from 3 in the iso. And he does that seemingly every single game. He's got what I used to call midrange moves that he does 3 feet behind the arc and makes shots off of them. That's new. Reggie would run off screens, and go up at different angles with the best of them, Korver can find open area's of the floor, Ray Allen can get a shot off on a closing guy, but seriously, taking a guy off the dribble over and over not for the final shot, just and getting a good consistently makeable look? wow.

I'd call the past few seasons the best 3 point shooting I've ever seen.

And another year really and he's there in terms of longetivity too... Another year like the last few and he'll be right on the top 25 all time for 3 pointers made, Ahead of guys like his dad, Chuck Person, Brent Barry, Dan Majerle, John Starks, Mitch Richmond and Allan Houston.

NYKalltheway
05-26-2015, 07:51 AM
Wait so you are comparing Steph Curry to Mark Price? What numbers are you looking for so he is not compared to him?

Numbers? I'm talking about basketball players. Just mentioned that his 3PT% is better.

valade16
05-26-2015, 09:53 AM
I think Curry is the best 3PT shooter of all-time but I do want to address one point, the idea that it is always 100% easier to shoot a catch and shoot 3PTer over a dribble 3PT shot. It's not. It's about preference.

I've known guys who would much rather shoot the ball after some dribbles because that's all they practiced, they were very uncomfortable shooting the ball after simply just catching it and shooting it because they didn't feel like they were in rhythm.

I am equally as comfortable shooting the ball both off the dribble and in a catch and shoot situation. I find I make more on catch and shoot but it's not exactly difficult for me to make them off the dribble.

Let's not overstate the difference here. Kobe would probably much rather shoot a 3 off the dribble than simply catching and shooting since he rarely if ever was asked to do the latter and almost always did the former.

FraziersKnicks
05-26-2015, 11:46 AM
I think Curry is the best 3PT shooter of all-time but I do want to address one point, the idea that it is always 100% easier to shoot a catch and shoot 3PTer over a dribble 3PT shot. It's not. It's about preference.

I've known guys who would much rather shoot the ball after some dribbles because that's all they practiced, they were very uncomfortable shooting the ball after simply just catching it and shooting it because they didn't feel like they were in rhythm.

I am equally as comfortable shooting the ball both off the dribble and in a catch and shoot situation. I find I make more on catch and shoot but it's not exactly difficult for me to make them off the dribble.

Let's not overstate the difference here. Kobe would probably much rather shoot a 3 off the dribble than simply catching and shooting since he rarely if ever was asked to do the latter and almost always did the former.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I'm fine catching and shooting a 3 but I'm most comfortable when taking a rhythm dribble with my left hand and shooting it.

WestCoastSportz
05-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Whats impressive about Curry is how he gets his shots. Ray Allen was a great 3 point shooter, but he was more of a catch and shoot guy. Same with a lot of players. Curry has the ability to cross someone over, step back and launch a high percentage 3 pointer which is just ridiculous. Every time he pulls up for a 3 in transition, I say "layup" because it seems as if they go in that often. Its scary. He maybe the best offensive player in the league. He has the 3 pointer, the floaters, finger rolls, circus finishes with his left hand and just finds ways to put the ball in the basket. He does this while rarely dunking the ball, which is the highest percentage shot you can take. And if you foul him, he's a 90% free throw shooter.

LA_Raiders
05-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Not yet, but it looks like he will be.

curtcocaine
05-26-2015, 02:33 PM

Yea bro this is why Klay should be our number one option! His shpts are more difficult because he's depending on others to set him up. MVP went to the wrong person it should have been Klay! NYKall agrees Klay over harden!!!

curtcocaine
05-26-2015, 02:35 PM
You've posted vids of Curry now ppst some of Reggie back your claim.

tredigs
05-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Catch and shoot is easier for almost every shooter, including Curry. He's a great pull-up shooter and has to utilize it more than most 3pt specialists as everyone knows (something guys like Ray and Reggie didn't have in their arsenal to anywhere near Curry's caliber), but he's still better when catching and getting a shot in motion. He's shot them at a 48% average clip over the past 2 seasons (~3 attempt average), and 51% in these playoffs (5.9 attempts).

With the seemingly endless variation of shots he takes and makes + his already massive volume that is more enough of a sample size, we know that he's the best shooter ever. That's why my only post was "who's #2?". There's nobody that close.

Chronz
05-26-2015, 02:49 PM
we can stop asking, hes making the toughest of shots look effortless. nobody has ever had his efficiency and usage.

kobe was still more efficient with those set 3s tho

D-Leethal
05-26-2015, 02:54 PM
we can stop asking, hes making the toughest of shots look effortless. nobody has ever had his efficiency and usage.

well derrr, catch and shoot off a kickout is going to be more open than a 3 ball off the dribble 9x out of 10 (the vast majority of which I would venture to say were coming at the end of a shot clock). Efficiency in a vaccum FTW.

D-Leethal
05-26-2015, 02:54 PM

well derrr, catch and shoot off a kickout is going to be more open than a 3 ball off the dribble 9x out of 10 (the vast majority of which I would venture to say were coming at the end of a shot clock). Efficiency in a vaccum FTW.

D-Leethal
05-26-2015, 02:56 PM
How about you check his 3 balls off the dribble with 5+ seconds left on the clock vs his catch and shoot 3s. If ya can't do that, than your stat is garbage.

For the thread, its tough to say Steph is not the best shooter of all time.

omdigga
05-26-2015, 02:59 PM
i think he'll end up being the best shooter of all time.. so if you want to claim it now, i wont get upset.

tredigs
05-26-2015, 03:13 PM
How about you check his 3 balls off the dribble with 5+ seconds left on the clock vs his catch and shoot 3s. If ya can't do that, than your stat is garbage.

I don't have that #, but agreed most catch and shoot shots are going to be more open than shots off the dribble. Also, more often than not a shot off the dribble isn't in as good of a rhythm. It's irrelevant though. The point of this particular topic was those saying that because he shoots less catch and shoot 3's than those other guys, that he has it easier. I'm saying that his catch and shoot 3's are his highest % outside shot, and he takes quite a bit of them.

ThaDubs
05-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Curry is objectively the greatest shooter of all time

Chronz
05-26-2015, 03:17 PM
well derrr, catch and shoot off a kickout is going to be more open than a 3 ball off the dribble 9x out of 10
derr? im responding to a poster who feels kobe likes those more than the alternative. kind of how jr smith is making more of his contested shots than his wide open ones these playoffs ...but u know derrr for context

(the vast majority of which I would venture to say were coming at the end of a shot clock). Efficiency in a vaccum FTW.
where? ur ignorance knows no bound

Raps08-09 Champ
05-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Factoring in his ability to score, yea. There's better 'shooters' out there though.

Chronz
05-26-2015, 03:22 PM

who u talking to? what stat did someone provide. if ur still talking kobe, we did that. it wasnt hard to parse during the synergy days. not sure wat ur arguing but believe me, when it comes to dissecting the quant elements, ur among the last i would turn to for insight . derr ftw

tredigs
05-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Factoring in his ability to score, yea. There's better 'shooters' out there though.

I think I see what you're saying (if by that you mean just standing still and taking a shot... tho' still debatable), but I think that only holds weight if you don't consider floaters, contested layups, pull-ups etc "shots". Which seems hard to debate. It's his volume/arsenal + degree of difficulty as much as his accuracy that puts him over the top.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-26-2015, 03:30 PM
I think I see what you're saying (if by that you mean just standing still and taking a shot... tho' still debatable), but I think that only holds weight if you don't consider floaters, contested layups, pull-ups etc "shots". Which seems hard to debate. It's his volume/arsenal + degree of difficulty as much as his accuracy that puts him over the top.

More about the volume he does it in. Nash could probably do most or all the things Curry does but doesn't take as many shots as Curry. There's probably a few other guys out there. Not to demean what Curry does though. He'd still be top shooter out there.

ThaDubs
05-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Can you imagine if Steph had the same role as some of these guys? The Kerrs, Korvers, etc. If Steph was a guy who stood in the corner waiting for someone to draw help from his man he'd be shooting well over 50% from 3. He has a career 3 point % of 44% shooting tough dribble pullups, contested shots coming off of screens, and iso stepbacks. He is the best shooter of all time, and it's not even close.

valade16
05-26-2015, 03:40 PM

Can we say he was more efficient at set 3's in which he was guarded or open?

What I'm asking is, are we sure that the higher % is because of catch and shoot as opposed to dribbling instead of being open vs not being open?

tredigs
05-26-2015, 03:40 PM
More about the volume he does it in. Nash could probably do most or all the things Curry does but doesn't take as many shots as Curry. There's probably a few other guys out there. Not to demean what Curry does though. He'd still be top shooter out there.

Nash is a good call. Probably the only person I can think of that can nearly match Curry's arsenal+accuracy. I don't think he can quite match Curry's degree of difficulty, though. But yeah, good call. I don't know why he didn't pop into my head in this debate. Prime Nash is the guy I'd say is the top comp.

R. Johnson#3
05-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Yes, he's the best. His range is ridiculous, he can pick it up off the dribble or on the catch, has some ridiculously crafty moves and just the though of going under a screen set for him is ridiculous.

lol, please
05-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Can you imagine if Steph had the same role as some of these guys? The Kerrs, Korvers, etc. If Steph was a guy who stood in the corner waiting for someone to draw help from his man he'd be shooting well over 50% from 3. He has a career 3 point % of 44% shooting tough dribble pullups, contested shots coming off of screens, and iso stepbacks. He is the best shooter of all time, and it's not even close.
He already had that role when Monta Ellis was here.

ThaDubs
05-26-2015, 03:50 PM

It's a known thing that efficiency drops the more you shoot. In Nash's best year shooting-wise, he made 179 3's on a 47% clip (a relatively high percentage of those being open shots). In Curry's best years, he made 272 3's on 45.3% and 286 on 44.3%. There's no way in hell 07-08 Nash makes 270/280 3's, taking the types of shots Curry takes, and shoots in the 45% range. Just no way. Nobody has done or could do what Curry is doing right now. His inhuman scoring ability from literally everywhere on the court means he deals with tons of double-teams that Nash never had to deal with, even on nights when he can't make a shot (which are quite rare). If Curry was taking the types of shots Nash was taking, he'd easily be shooting 55% on 3's (which he nearly has been doing since the ASB). And as silly as it may seem, you also have to remember that Curry had a stretch of games where he was playing sick this year and he put up some of his worst career shooting performances. It's what brought him down below 50/40/90 and actually into 40/30/80 temporarily.

ThaDubs
05-26-2015, 03:52 PM
He already had that role when Monta Ellis was here.

His usage rate was only about 5% lower than it is today during those years. He's been far more than a "chill in the corner" guy since he came in the league.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-26-2015, 03:53 PM
It's a known thing that efficiency drops the more you shoot. In Nash's best year shooting-wise, he made 179 3's on a 47% clip (a relatively high percentage of those being open shots). In Curry's best years, he made 272 3's on 45.3% and 286 on 44.3%. There's no way in hell 07-08 Nash makes 270/280 3's, taking the types of shots Curry takes, and shoots in the 45% range. Just no way. Nobody has done or could do what Curry is doing right now. His inhuman scoring ability from literally everywhere on the court means he deals with tons of double-teams that Nash never had to deal with, even on nights when he can't make a shot (which are quite rare). If Curry was taking the types of shots Nash was taking, he'd easily be shooting 55% on 3's (which he nearly has been doing since the ASB). And as silly as it may seem, you also have to remember that Curry had a stretch of games where he was playing sick this year and he put up some of his worst career shooting performances. It's what brought him down below 50/40/90 and actually into 40/30/80 temporarily.

There's as much opportunity to improve your %s the more attempts you take as much as there is the possibility your %s drop. All depends on your ability to make shots and the type of shots you take (high % or low % shots).

ThaDubs
05-26-2015, 04:16 PM
There's as much opportunity to improve your %s the more attempts you take as much as there is the possibility your %s drop. All depends on your ability to make shots and the type of shots you take (high % or low % shots).

And whether or not the shots you take are considered "high % shots" is entirely based on your ability to make that those types of shots. That is what makes Curry great(est). Not only does he make more 3's on a higher percentage than nearly all the all-time-great shooters, he does it taking shots not many of them would ever think about taking. A dribble pull-up from nearly 30 ft. is a good shot for Curry. Nash was taking a lot of open stand-still shots.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-26-2015, 04:33 PM
And whether or not the shots you take are considered "high % shots" is entirely based on your ability to make that those types of shots. That is what makes Curry great(est). Not only does he make more 3's on a higher percentage than nearly all the all-time-great shooters, he does it taking shots not many of them would ever think about taking. A dribble pull-up from nearly 30 ft. is a good shot for Curry. Nash was taking a lot of open stand-still shots.

Yup, and Nash very much fits that. He had the ability to be a versatile shooter. As good as Curry? Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn't change the fact he was one of the best shooters out there.

ThaDubs
05-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Yup, and Nash very much fits that. He had the ability to be a versatile shooter. As good as Curry? Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn't change the fact he was one of the best shooters out there.

For sure. I just think there's a clear gap between Nash (and everyone really) and Curry.

valade16
05-26-2015, 05:20 PM
I think Reggie Miller and Ray Allen are at Nash's level as shooters. People overstate the frequency with which players take certain shots.

If you read this thread you would think 99% of Curry's 3's come off the dribble and 99% of all of Miller and Allen's 3's come from a catch and shoot.

It's not like Miller and Ray Allen didn't shoot off the dribble, they did; frequently. They were the leading scorer on their team for most of their careers and their primary offensive force. It's not like they were never forced to create for themselves...

tredigs
05-26-2015, 05:46 PM
I think Reggie Miller and Ray Allen are at Nash's level as shooters. People overstate the frequency with which players take certain shots.

If you read this thread you would think 99% of Curry's 3's come off the dribble and 99% of all of Miller and Allen's 3's come from a catch and shoot.

It's not like Miller and Ray Allen didn't shoot off the dribble, they did; frequently. They were the leading scorer on their team for most of their careers and their primary offensive force. It's not like they were never forced to create for themselves...

Like Curry, comparing Nash with with Ray/Reggie kind of comes down to degree of difficulty, and more so variety of shots. Nash had a larger repertoire of shots he could/would take and make: the step-back/fadeaway after dribble driving inside the perimeter, floaters, finishing with either hand near the rim, etc. Some of the debate gets muddled between scoring versus pure shooting, but I just think having a larger arsenal strengthens someones case.

Plus, Nash ranks in top ten for the high-volume guys on 3pt% (taking out the Hubert Davis, Kerr, Kapono guys who focused on shooting when open). Ray top 25. Reggie top 30. Curry #1. And as a FT shooter he's #1 at 90.4%. Only him, Price and Curry are career 90%+. He was a better shooter than Ray and Reggie, even if he didn't quite have their volume.

valade16
05-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Like Curry, comparing Nash with with Ray/Reggie kind of comes down to degree of difficulty, and more so variety of shots. Nash had a larger repertoire of shots he could/would take and make: the step-back/fadeaway after dribble driving inside the perimeter, floaters, finishing with either hand near the rim, etc. Some of the debate gets muddled between scoring versus pure shooting, but I just think having a larger arsenal strengthens someones case.

Plus, Nash ranks in top ten for the high-volume guys on 3pt% (taking out the Hubert Davis, Kerr, Kapono guys who focused on shooting when open). Ray top 25. Reggie top 30. Curry #1. And as a FT shooter he's #1 at 90.4%. Only him, Price and Curry are career 90%+. He was a better shooter than Ray and Reggie, even if he didn't quite have their volume.

To be fair though, Ray was a 89.4% FT shooter and Reggie a 88.8% FT Shooter. They were both right there in terms of high FT%.

Personally, I think Curry is the best shooter of all-time just because I think he's played in enough games, taken enough shots, and played enough seasons, to accurately judge how good he is.

If you stack his entire career against the best 6 year peak of any 3PT shooter, his is unquestionably the best.

NYKalltheway
05-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Nash is a good call. Probably the only person I can think of that can nearly match Curry's arsenal+accuracy. I don't think he can quite match Curry's degree of difficulty, though. But yeah, good call. I don't know why he didn't pop into my head in this debate. Prime Nash is the guy I'd say is the top comp.

Mark Price is a better example. Even someone like Dana Barros could be in such a discussion if he played for a better team and was a better player overall :p
Or this European stud who probably most here have 'met' in his early 30s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgszZ4bsMSk if you don't remember this 2004 epic or his 2000 heroics that almost hurt team USA (2nd time's the charm). Also, in terms of all time shooters, Drazen Petrovic is up there too, ahead of Ray Allen imo.

Curry depends on the three. That's my "objection" to call him the greatest shooter ever at this point. He's definitely up there of course, that's obviously not the discussion.

tredigs
05-26-2015, 11:09 PM
Mark Price is a better example. Even someone like Dana Barros could be in such a discussion if he played for a better team and was a better player overall :p
Or this European stud who probably most here have 'met' in his early 30s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgszZ4bsMSk if you don't remember this 2004 epic or his 2000 heroics that almost hurt team USA (2nd time's the charm). Also, in terms of all time shooters, Drazen Petrovic is up there too, ahead of Ray Allen imo.

Curry depends on the three. That's my "objection" to call him the greatest shooter ever at this point. He's definitely up there of course, that's obviously not the discussion.

Dana Barros had 1 good year. Stop.

Mark Price is pretty close to Steve Nash, but not all the way there. He didn't quite have Nash's 3pt ability and it would probably be tough to argue he had a better mid-range shot or finishing ability. I'm a big fan of Price, but Nash has him as a shooter and scorer in general.

Saying Curry "depends on the 3" is a stretch. It's his best weapon, and a Curry 3 is maybe the single most dangerous offensive weapon in the game, but he can score in a myriad of ways if need be. His mid-range game is absolutely deadly (~50% from 10ft-3pt over the past 2 seasons, which is only matched by the likes of Dirk... easily better than KD), his handles + floaters are deadly, and his finishing ability near the rim has also become deadly (to the point that he's approaching 70% within 3 feet). He takes as many 3's as he does because he knows how good he is at them and how debilitating of a shot they are. The 285+ 3's he made this season are the most in NBA history (breaking his own record), and at 44+%, is the equivalent of shooting 67% from inside the arc. Shaq led the league in FG% 10 times, and never reached 61% from the field. With the 5 threes a game he's averaging at a 45% clip in these playoffs (which has already demolished the single season record for 3's made in the playoffs), that's 15 points a game on 3's alone that would translate to 70% FG from 2. Dspite all that 3pt dominance, he's throwing in another 15 PPG from 2pt and the line for good measure. In Mark Price's sole playoff run out of the first round he averaged 19 PPG total (peaked at 20 ppg in one of his 1st round losses).

It's not his only weapon, but when you have the trump card you damn well better use it as much as possible. You really should not underestimate how dominant his scoring ability is. Bringing up Dana Barros and **** lol.

ManRam
05-26-2015, 11:13 PM
I voted "yes" on a similar poll probably a year+ ago. It's only getting more obvious. An absurd blend of volume, efficiency and self-creating ability. He's the best anyone's ever seen. If sample size is your problem, that will become nil soon enough.

edit: whoa! Nice poll results :clap:

NYKalltheway
05-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Bringing up Dana Barros and **** lol.

I only mentioned him because the question was the difficulty of an off the dribble 3pt shot. He was mentioned among a few others who had successfully done that. Sure, he's no world beater but damn he could hit that three.

tredigs
06-02-2015, 02:41 AM
Late bump here, but a timely Ric Bucher piece just came out where he asked some of the shooting greats, including Nash, their opinion on this exact question.

KiKi Vanderweigh: "Comparing year to year, people at their peak, I've never seen anyone better," Vandewegheigh said. "The difficulty of some of the shots he makes is incredible. He makes shots I wouldn't even think of taking, and I took a lot of shots. He has a certain body and court awareness. He always knows where the basket is. His fundamentals are as good as anyone I've seen".

Steve Nash: "He's as good as anyone I can think of on every level—pure shooting, array of shots, percentage, getting hot, plays to the end—he checks all the boxes. Steph takes it to another level," Nash said. "I was able to do it going left and right, and we can both do it at speed, but I was always trying to get to the three-point line. He can do it from deeper and, frankly, I never took a step-back. He has no trouble taking a step-back and making it. You add that to all the other shots. It could be a clincher in this game of deciding who's the best."

Dana Barros: "What he's doing would be amazing and unstoppable in any era. Steph can shoot off the dribble and he gets it off so quick. When he gets the ball, I feel like something is going to happen. You could make a case for him as the best ever. You'd have a harder time making the case against him."

Rick Barry: "It's the way he does it," Barry said. "It's such a quick release with range. And his confidence is off the charts."

Steve Nash: "Truly, from the eye test, he's the greatest there's ever been."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482473-is-stephen-curry-the-best-shooter-ever-yes-say-many-of-nbas-all-time-marksmen

There's generally a void between when fans think something and when the greats concede the same, but judging by the poll results and these comments, it seems like everyone's on the same page here.