PDA

View Full Version : Can This Years Draft Potentially Rival 2003 ?

Slimsim
05-21-2015, 10:07 AM
From what I have been told by a lot of friends who watch college ball that this year draft have 3 franchise Players and a handful of potential all-stars does anyone think it could be as good as 2003.

I'm leaning more towards the Westbrook/Rose draft class potential

FlashBolt
05-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Not even close... and we won't even know until about three years in when we ultimately see who has an impact. 2003 is a legendary top five NBA draft class.

RLundi
05-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Expectations and predictions means nothing. Last year's class was supposed to be the best in a decade and either it's flopped or enough time hasn't passed to make sure it wasn't a flop.

This year's will probably be much of the same.

jerellh528
05-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Could be. Nobody knows. Any future draft could.

kozelkid
05-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Could be. Nobody knows. Any future draft could.
Hard to disagree with this. I remember many (including me) thought that the 2009 draft had little outside of Griffin. Except it ended up producing two top 5 players in the NBA in Harden and Curry.

crewfan13
05-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Like everyone is saying, its way too early to be able to tell. But on paper, I honestly don't know that's its really even that sure of thing draft though either. There's few sure things in this draft (and there's few in most drafts), but its not like these guys, even the top guys, don't have question marks.

Towns is far from polished. He shows a good shooting stroke, but really hasn't shown a ton offensively. Its possible he never really develops much more than an average at best offensive game.

Okafor has his issues too. He plays a dying style of basketball and could be a very weak defender.

Russell is sort of a tweener without elite athleticism.

Mudiay is a big time question mark and is more of an athlete than a basketball player right now.

Winslow is solid but may lack elite size and physical tools as well.

Porzingas has stretch 4 skills, but may not have a position and still needs to continue to improve his shooting.

Its possible those guys turn into Garnett, Duncan, Harden, Westbrook, Kawhi and Dirk and it might be the best class ever. Or its probably just as likely that none of them play in multiple All Star games. But realistically, there's probably going to be a couple late firsts and 2nd rounders who are better than people think. Maybe 1 or 2 of the guys mentioned above turn into All-Star caliber guys, a couple bust and a couple a solid starters/great rotational players.

bucketss
05-21-2015, 01:52 PM
wasn't last years draft class suppose to be like the 2003 draft lol.

D-Leethal
05-21-2015, 02:50 PM
I don't think it has the amount of elite level, all time great talent that '03 had but it seems like it will produce multiple all stars.

D-Leethal
05-21-2015, 02:51 PM
There is no LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Anthony Davis in this draft but it seems like there are 3-4 Blake Griffins.

(not comparing skillsets, just talent level)

KnicksorBust
05-21-2015, 02:59 PM
There is no LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Anthony Davis in this draft but it seems like there are 3-4 Blake Griffins.

(not comparing skillsets, just talent level)

That is an interesting comparison. The fact that there has been a debate about any of the 4 being the most talented supports your theory.

Trwood12
05-21-2015, 03:40 PM
I think last year's draft class is a better comparison. Only time will tell.

solid_pro
05-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Simple answer to the title question: Nope, not even close. I'd side much more with your analysis and probably closer to Trwood's - I'm underwhelmed. These guys just haven't shown quite enough to be too sure about 'em. This was a weak year in college ball...

C-ross12
05-21-2015, 07:51 PM
This is an outstanding draft class in my mind. Russell, Okafor and Towns are all studs. I think Winslow, Booker, and Mudiay could play at an all star level. Guys like Dekker, Johnson, Hezonja, Oubre, Jones and Grant look like that could be solid pros for a while. Guys like Turner, Porzingis, Lyles, McCullough and Payne could be really good players as well. I really like this draft.

crewfan13
05-22-2015, 09:00 AM
But that's what happens with virtually every draft. You pretty much look at the best case scenario for each guy and assume they get close to that, when in reality, the majority of them don't even get close to the best case scenario. And a lot of those guys end up showing off more flaws, or their flaws are more apparent, than they did in college.

I think case in point is the fact that you've already labeled the top 3 picks as studs. How often does that happen? Its relatively rare for all 3 top picks to be studs. Heck, its somewhat uncommon that all 3 top picks pan out. All 3 of them have issues that may be exposed at the NBA level. And then the next couple guys likely being taken have major flaws as well that will likely hold some, if not all, of them back.

JWO35
05-22-2015, 11:37 AM
IMO this draft is deeper than most drafts, now will it produce multiple HOFs? Of course that's too early to tell...

NYKalltheway
05-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Nah. This reminds me of 2010 where everyone said those top 5 guys would turn out great but in the end only 2 of them are legit while the best player from that draft class imo was picked 10th (Paul George).

This draft I see one of the two bigs being a bust (I see Towns as the guy with most potential here, so Okafor imo will struggle) and only 1 of the 3 perimeter guys that are spoken of will make noise in the league (I think this will be Russell). And I see Hezonja as the best player in the draft class who will be a top 10 pick at best.

So pretty much a good draft class with no elite players coming out of it immediately, while some will transform into important players during their career depending on their situation (eg Greg Monroe, Eric Bledsoe etc)

FraziersKnicks
05-22-2015, 02:39 PM
There are 4 All-Star calibre talents in the draft: Towns, Okafor, Mudiay and Russell

Then you've got two versatile wing defenders who could turn into Jimmy Butler/Kawhi Leonard types in Justise Winslow and Stanley Johnson.

Two defensive big men in the Tyson Chandler mold in Willie Cauley-Stein and Myles Turner.

And the two talented euro big men in Kristaps Porzingis and Mario Hezonja.

And then there's a bunch of guys who could be solid starters down the line in Dekker, Booker, Lyles, Kaminsky, Oubre, Jones and Grant. I bet one of those guys is a late lottery/late teens steal and develops into an All-Star talent as well.

Looks like a pretty deep draft.

FraziersKnicks
05-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Nah. This reminds me of 2010 where everyone said those top 5 guys would turn out great but in the end only 2 of them are legit while the best player from that draft class imo was picked 10th (Paul George).

This draft I see one of the two bigs being a bust (I see Towns as the guy with most potential here, so Okafor imo will struggle) and only 1 of the 3 perimeter guys that are spoken of will make noise in the league (I think this will be Russell). And I see Hezonja as the best player in the draft class who will be a top 10 pick at best.

So pretty much a good draft class with no elite players coming out of it immediately, while some will transform into important players during their career depending on their situation (eg Greg Monroe, Eric Bledsoe etc)

Surprised you think a Euro will be the best player from the draft :rolleyes:

ChI_ShIzzLe
05-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Are you kidding me?! There will never be another Kirk Hinrich.

naps
05-22-2015, 04:54 PM
No. 2003 was legendary because not only it produced a lot of elite players, but also it was crazy deep at the same time. I look at someone like Okafor, who is a potential #1 pick, as if he is the next Al Jefferson. There is no LeBron James here, no Dwyane Wade.

NYKalltheway
05-22-2015, 05:09 PM
Surprised you think a Euro will be the best player from the draft :rolleyes:

Draftexpress have him at #5
Yahoo sports have him at #5
NBA Draft.net have him at #7
CBS Sports have him at #7
ESPN have him at #8

Yeap, I'm overrating him....

JasonJohnHorn
05-22-2015, 05:57 PM
I would LOVE if it were as deep or deeper with franchise players than the 2003 draft, I just hope that means Mitch drafts the 2015 version of Darko, since he has the second pick and all.

JasonJohnHorn
05-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Honestly, it's SO hard to tell. With guys coming out after one year, there isn't enough history to see how well their skills might translate to the NBA.

In 2003, Wade had played two season, Bosh and Melo one, and LBJ was a phenom coming out of highschool.

Other guys played more: Kaman (Jr.), West (Sr.). So there was a sense that, yes, a lot of these guys were NBA players (rotation players, and starters at the very least), but with the senior-year players getting picked after the highschool kid and the freshmen, it became clear that it wasn't worth it to stay in college more than one year any more. So not most guys leave after one year, so it is hard to gauge how good they will be.

I mean... look at the ROY award. I remember when there'd be a guy who posted 20/10 as a rookie, or close to it. Now the leading scorer is in the mid-teens. Fifteen years ago it would have been next to impossible to win ROY with 15 or 16 points per game unless you had a disgusting number of assists, rebounds, or blocks to go with it. But those guys were also 23 or 22 years old; not 19.

Every year the past three or four years I've been hearing: this is the deepest draft since 2003. These days, though, determining that means we have to wait until 2019 to really judge that. We won' be able to tell by the numbers these kids put up next season.

FlashBolt
05-23-2015, 09:46 AM
LeBron
Melo
Wade
Bosh
Kaman
David West
Diaw
Josh Howard
Korver

If you took LeBron out, maybe. But I think LeBron's greatness really elevated this class to the point where you'd have to be really good to make up for that gap.

With that being said, where do you think Embiid (if he wasn't injured and was 100% right after college), Wiggins, and Parker would have placed in this year's draft and assuming neither players have played in the NBA?

da ThRONe
05-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Short answer no.

Long answer it's really rare you have a draft class with that many HOF's and a guy how could potentially be the best player ever when he hangs up his sneakers. Especially not from this class as talented as it is.

Corey
05-23-2015, 02:09 PM
With that being said, where do you think Embiid (if he wasn't injured and was 100% right after college), Wiggins, and Parker would have placed in this year's draft and assuming neither players have played in the NBA?

Good question.

Embiid would have been behind Towns and Okafor because of the injury, if fully healthy he's right there with both of them.

Wiggins and Parker are ahead of every wing this year.

Top 5 would still be a combination of Wiggins, Parker, Towns, Okafor, Embiid with Russell as a dark horse if a team needs a PG

PraiseJesus
05-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Like everyone is saying, its way too early to be able to tell. But on paper, I honestly don't know that's its really even that sure of thing draft though either. There's few sure things in this draft (and there's few in most drafts), but its not like these guys, even the top guys, don't have question marks.

Towns is far from polished. He shows a good shooting stroke, but really hasn't shown a ton offensively. Its possible he never really develops much more than an average at best offensive game.

Okafor has his issues too. He plays a dying style of basketball and could be a very weak defender.

Russell is sort of a tweener without elite athleticism.

Mudiay is a big time question mark and is more of an athlete than a basketball player right now.

Winslow is solid but may lack elite size and physical tools as well.

Porzingas has stretch 4 skills, but may not have a position and still needs to continue to improve his shooting.

Its possible those guys turn into Garnett, Duncan, Harden, Westbrook, Kawhi and Dirk and it might be the best class ever. Or its probably just as likely that none of them play in multiple All Star games. But realistically, there's probably going to be a couple late firsts and 2nd rounders who are better than people think. Maybe 1 or 2 of the guys mentioned above turn into All-Star caliber guys, a couple bust and a couple a solid starters/great rotational players.

What a ridiculous analysis of DLO......

He's easily the best player in this draft and the best guard in the lottery since Steph Curry