PDA

View Full Version : Should the Cavs rest Kyrie Irving for the Atlanta Series?

Nikeman
05-21-2015, 12:26 AM
Serious Question. They are up 1-0 right now, and Caroll one of ATL's key guys seems likely to be done. Irving when out there did not look good, he hit a couple threes, but he could not drive, nor could be honestly run well it seemed.

If you are the Cavs, do you rest Irving this series in hopes of getting him 100% for the Finals? The Cavs may be able to get by this Hawks who frankly have not impressed me this playoffs. Without Irving however, it will be extremely tough to beat whoever the Cavs face in the finals.

Vee-Rex
05-21-2015, 12:40 AM
Irving is getting abused on defense. We really can't hide him on anyone in his hobbled state. Kyrie is our most consistent shooter, so I wish we had a way to utilize that without getting killed on the other end.

Dellevadova struggles to penetrate, lacks downhill speed, can't dribble, and will force turnovers when pressured into passing.

Good question. I think I'd play Kyrie one more game to try to go for a 2-0 lead and then rest him. Because if we lose the next game, it's 1-1, and gives them the confidence to steal one in Cleveland (w/o Kyrie) and now we're 2-2 with them having homecourt. Go for the kill against ATL and rest Kyrie asap and hope that's enough.

We win this series, we only have one left to go, and I don't think the Cavs players and organization are trembling in their shoes thinking of any WC team right now. If we get to the finals anything could happen, and I believe we'll most certainly do better than getting 'crushed' or 'destroyed' like these overreacting kids on PSD would have you to believe.

Both the Rockets and Warriors have their pros and cons. Rockets actually match up better with us IMO. Warriors have the better talent but no one on their roster (Draymond gets abused) can guard LBJ and we all know what happens when it's like that (people like Delly and James Jones drill from the 3pt line).

DillyDill
05-21-2015, 12:48 AM
Gr8 question rest him hate seeing him in this hobbled state, hes not more than a shooter and liability on D

DillyDill
05-21-2015, 12:50 AM
Irving is getting abused on defense. We really can't hide him on anyone in his hobbled state. Kyrie is our most consistent shooter, so I wish we had a way to utilize that without getting killed on the other end.

Dellevadova struggles to penetrate, lacks downhill speed, can't dribble, and will force turnovers when pressured into passing.

Good question. I think I'd play Kyrie one more game to try to go for a 2-0 lead and then rest him. Because if we lose the next game, it's 1-1, and gives them the confidence to steal one in Cleveland (w/o Kyrie) and now we're 2-2 with them having homecourt. Go for the kill against ATL and rest Kyrie asap and hope that's enough.

We win this series, we only have one left to go, and I don't think the Cavs players and organization are trembling in their shoes thinking of any WC team right now. If we get to the finals anything could happen, and I believe we'll most certainly do better than getting 'crushed' or 'destroyed' like these overreacting kids on PSD would have you to believe.

Both the Rockets and Warriors have their pros and cons. Rockets actually match up better with us IMO. Warriors have the better talent but no one on their roster (Draymond gets abused) can guard LBJ and we all know what happens when it's like that (people like Delly and James Jones drill from the 3pt line).
I say rest him now becuz if y'all play Warr Curry will have a field day

bucketss
05-21-2015, 01:09 AM
no. they should limit his minutes.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-21-2015, 01:40 AM
Limit his minutes. If they are up like 3-0 or 3-1. I may just keep him on the bench and then if needed, make him play.

curtcocaine
05-21-2015, 01:44 AM
no. they should limit his minutes.
This /Thread[emoji12]

Bostonjorge
05-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Rest Irving and James and Cavs still win.

koreancabbage
05-21-2015, 01:57 AM
Rest Irving and James and Cavs still win.

thats absurd lol

slaker619
05-21-2015, 02:23 AM
Yes they got Shumpert

MinnesotaFtw
05-21-2015, 02:34 AM
Definitely need to sit him. They can take the Hawks without him.

More-Than-Most
05-21-2015, 06:05 AM
This was my original Idea I stated at the end of the 3rd Quarter or so in the game thread and got called an idiot if I remember correctly... Id sit him now because he honestly is a liability the way he is moving around and almost helped the hawks back into the game. I think they need him for this series... People all of a sudden forget that this team beat the cavs pretty easily 3 out of 4 times in the regular season... Yes James was on coast mode basically but still this hawks team matches up well against this cavs team and is not even close to a done deal like most of you assume.

koreancabbage
05-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Irving has been horrible.

he's more of a liability at the moment.

I think this and the last series is a testament to James leadership and having that leadership trickle down to their role players perform. JR Smith single handedly beat down any confidence ATL had up to the point of Carrol getting hurt. This is against 4 all-stars too. lol ATL is super talent team with great ball movement. Inexperience was example/ case on why they lost yesterday.

I think ATL still has a chance to win this series though. Cleveland is kinda running on fumes because their two best players are basically non factors (Irving and Love). Its too bad we couldn't see a fully functioning CLE team this whole year. They were gelling near the end of the season and first round till Love got hurt. Potential was there but its a travesty.

JasonJohnHorn
05-21-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't think they could win the series without Irving.

kdspurman
05-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Cal827
05-21-2015, 11:41 AM

Buddy, all I'm going to say is Steph Curry :laugh2:

But to answer the question, I think they might as well rest them until Atlanta wins a game in the series. If by chance Cleveland goes up 3-0, then I would start him though. It might be a little bit before the Cavs have to play the Warriors or Rockets and you don't want to risk extreme rust. Cause if they sweep, and it's a rusty Irving to face off against the Warriors (where their strength is their back court), the end result could be very, very brutal.

Nikeman
05-21-2015, 12:51 PM
To the people saying play him, why? Irving at this point is a liability. Rest him, if you can get by Atlanta you need Kyrie. If they beat ATL with a hobbled Kyrie they dont have a shot in the finals anyway

Vee-Rex
05-21-2015, 12:56 PM
To the people saying play him, why? Irving at this point is a liability. Rest him, if you can get by Atlanta you need Kyrie. If they beat ATL with a hobbled Kyrie they dont have a shot in the finals anyway

Speaking for me... I'm just afraid, heh. Always clinging on to the hope that Kyrie may be able to put up 20 points on his shooting, and not wanting to count Atlanta out. We've seen some bad stuff happen to Cleveland teams so I don't want to just ignore Atlanta.

Also Dellevadova has his Hyde side that has yet to show these last few games. If it rears its ugly head, Atlanta could win the next game to tie it 1-1, and the pressure is on the Cavs to take both home games or we'd surrender the series back to the Hawks at 2-2.

Vee-Rex
05-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Buddy, all I'm going to say is Steph Curry :laugh2:

But to answer the question, I think they might as well rest them until Atlanta wins a game in the series. If by chance Cleveland goes up 3-0, then I would start him though. It might be a little bit before the Cavs have to play the Warriors or Rockets and you don't want to risk extreme rust. Cause if they sweep, and it's a rusty Irving to face off against the Warriors (where their strength is their back court), the end result could be very, very brutal.

Yeah, we're in a tough situation. I'd understand either way if we play Irving (not wanting let Atlanta back in the series if it can be helped), or rest him so and try to get him as ready as possible for the finals. I do believe that we might regret it if we overlook the opponent right in our faces though.

vics
05-22-2015, 01:24 AM
I say they rest him up as long as possible,they need Kyrie in the next series more than the current.

krazylegz
05-22-2015, 01:48 AM
if they go up 3-0 i think its a foregone conclusion that you rest him at least a game

Bostonjorge
05-22-2015, 01:56 AM
I say rest him since the rest of the world is doing the same thing and resting on this series.

JordansBulls
05-22-2015, 03:50 PM
When Atlanta wins the next 3 games then Irving should sit out after that point.

koreancabbage
05-22-2015, 11:23 PM

right lol.

Atlanta is extremely overrated and somehow, Lebron is looking very underrated with what he's done with this ragtag group of role players.

Tony_Starks
05-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Glad I worked out this way. A healthy Kyrie means one less excuse come beatdown time....

koreancabbage
05-22-2015, 11:39 PM
Glad I worked out this way. A healthy Kyrie means one less excuse come beatdown time....

tis true.

but I also want a healthy Irving versus a healthy Curry battle

WITZ
05-23-2015, 12:03 AM

You were saying :laugh:

Tony_Starks
05-23-2015, 01:10 AM

tis true.

but I also want a healthy Irving versus a healthy Curry battle

Yes sir, I would love to see that! Makes for a fun Finals.

Munkeysuit
05-23-2015, 03:33 AM
Hawks deserve more respect than that, Kyrie will need to play a few games for the Cavs to take care of them.

FlashBolt
05-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Tony_Starks had the Hawks beating the Cavs and it seems he's already making excuses... Just can't give anyone credit. Kyrie needs to sit for the rest of the Goddamn playoffs if he's hobbling around like that. They can use him as a spotup shooter against Bulls but against Curry? That's a field day for him. Delly has been an absolute menace against other PG's defensively. I would start Delly and just rotate him with Shump against GSW if it came down to it. Kyrie's just gonna mess this chemistry up that Cavs have going for them atm. Cavs should beat the Hawks as it is.

#TheDude
05-23-2015, 08:52 PM
The Cavs should absolutely rest Kyrie. I don't see the Cavs losing two at home even without Kyrie bc they've dominated the last two games, so they should just get the kid super ready for the finals